A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hyphens for modifiers - thank you

Posted: Dec 31, 2014

motor vehicle accident-related cognitive symptoms

or

motor-vehicle-accident-related cognitive symptoms ?

Any help is appreciated!

My preference...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I searched 2 style guides and could not find a rule for your issue, BUT I would do it as in your first example. My reason is it seems too "busy" with all those hyphens and is perfectly understandable with just a hyphen between accident and related. If someone can come up with a hard and fast rule to use all those hyphens, I'll accept that.

Hyphen - PT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would just use one hyphen after accident because you hyphenate multiple words when they are all used as an adjective such as moderate-to-severe pain. Moderate to severe describes the type of pain so all three words are hyphenated. Motor vehicle doesn't describe the symptoms, only the type of accident. Only the words "accident related" describe the symptoms so those are the words you hyphenate. Am I clear as mud? :)

But - motor-vehicle describes

[ In Reply To ..]
the accident, and we don't work by our preferences but by our supervisor's preferences, and mine prefers motor-vehicle-accident-related

Yes, of course...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you do it the way your employer wants. Mine doesn't require a hyphen between motor and vehicle. So guess it's their preference too. Good advice though.

We should....sm - PT

[ In Reply To ..]
always go by our employer's preferences, of course, unless our employer's preferences mean we have to misspell words and use bad grammar. ;)

I would type as motor vehicle accident related cognitive symptoms - Josea

[ In Reply To ..]
Y

Similar Messages:

Hyphens In Compound Modifiers.
Sep 22, 2014

Are hyphens no longer needed in compound modifiers preceding a noun?  Can you please provide a reference for your answer.  Thanks! ...

Hyphens?
Sep 13, 2010

I have a question about whether or not I should use hyphens in the words up-to-date in this sentence, "She is not up-to-date on her screenings."  My school was strict about when to and not to use hyphens in multi-word phrases, so I'm a little paranoid about how to manage these types of things in an actual job.  ...

Hyphens Or Not
Aug 07, 2011

The sentence is: Patient is able to heel walk, toe walk, and do single foot toe raises. Or should it be: Patient is able to heel-walk, toe-walk, and do single-foot-toe raises. Any help please?   ...

Hyphens In Numbers
Oct 16, 2009

Hi, I have been gigged for this no matter how I do it...I had one QA person that said it should be written   1- x 2-cm and the other one said it should be 1 x 2-cm (which I prefer)..Any experts out there? Thanks ...

Hyphens - Midright, Or Mid Right?
Aug 11, 2010

would it be mid-right, midright, or mid right? ...

Would You Place Hyphens, And Where?
Nov 26, 2010

Left upper lobe lung mass? Where would you place hyphens here? Help appreciated! ...

Over Thinking Hyphens
Sep 29, 2013

I have stumped myself by thinking too much about what is an adjective and when does a noun act like an adjective. I'm very clear on something like short arm cast not being hyphanated (each word is a noun), but what about needle tip placement?  Is there supposed to be a hyphen there? Fluoroscopy was used to confrm needle tip placement   OR Fluoroscopy was used to confrm needle-tip placement. I would appreciate some feedback about it.  ...

Hyphens Or No Hypen's, That Is The Question
Aug 18, 2010

2 sacs measuring approximately 5 weeks’ size should it be 5-weeks size, 5 weeks size or 5 weeks' size ...

Pt Smoked "1/3 Pack Per Day" For 30 Years. Hyphens?
Mar 21, 2011

She smoked approximately "1/3 pack per day" for 30 years ...

The "o'clock Positions" With Hyphens Has Me Questioning
Apr 17, 2012

There is a focus of superficial squamous cell carcinoma at the 7:30- and 9:00-o'clock position, as well as the 6:00 to 7:30 position.  Of note, the 6:00 to 7:30 position was a focus of the deep margin.  The skull vertex and bone margins were also positive at that time. PATHOLOGY:  Further peripheral skin biopsies located at 10:30 to 12:00; 9:00 to 10:30; 4:30 to 6:00; 3:00 to 4:30; 1:30 to 3:00; and12:00 to 1:30 were all negative for carcinoma.  The 7:30 to 9:00 o' ...

Hyphens- 3-day-history Or 3 Day History?
Nov 01, 2010

3-day-history or 3 day history? ...