A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hammer toe or hammertoe - hb

Posted: Dec 12, 2010

Is it hammer toe deformity or hammertoe deformity?

have always used hammertoe n/m - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]

one word - hammertoe

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

2 words according to Stedman and Dorland - 1 word according to some English dictionaries - Just another opinion

[ In Reply To ..]

According to Stedman and Dorland Dictionaries, it is two words.

hammer toe

Definition: permanent flexion deformity of a toe at an interphalangeal joint

Stedman's Medical Dictionary

Interestingly enough, Webster and other American English dictionaries have one word as their preference, while medical dictionaries and text books use two words:

From an Orthopedic Text Book:  

- Anatomy and Discussion:
    - term describes abnormal flexion posture of PIP joint of one of lesser 4 toes;
    - the hammer toe deformity is similar to the curly toe deformity but is not malrotated;
    - flexion deformity of PIP may be fixed or supple;

Typing it as one word could be one of those instances where the word has just evolved from so many people typing it that way (like “alright”) and not officially a word in the dictionary.  

So, it really depends on how strict your MTSO/client is about perfect English.  If they allow slang, then you can leave it as one word, hammertoe.  If they are strictly “by the medical book,” then it would be two words, hammer toe.  

Just another opinion.

In my Stedeman's ortho words it is hammertoe, one word and that is the way I have always typed - orthogirl

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

ProScript - Hammer Continues To Fall
Jan 12, 2010

I hear that the hammer continues to fall at ProScript. Word has it that two more long-term employees were let go without warning. What is going on with that company? First, all employees lost their benefits and were changed to statutory along with having their lines rates cut drastically, and now this. ...

Hammertoe Help Sm
Aug 06, 2013

She underwent hammertoe correction of the right second toe in the past and this failed to provide her adequate pain relief.  At that time, we did use an absorbable K-wire for the arthrodesis and a s/l subacurastat failed, given the radiographic evidence and poor position of the second toe. I could be way off.  I think I hear sub and maybe the stat, but I really don't know.  Going really fast.  Thanks! ...

Podiatry Help, Hammertoe Deformity With Painful Plantar HVK (hallux Valgus What?) Sm
Jan 14, 2010

I could be wrong on the *K* in the HVK but sounds pretty clear.  ...

Hammertoe Surgery "surge Eritome"
Jan 08, 2010

Hi I'm transcribing a surgical procedure to correct Hammertoe and there is a sentence I can't put together. "A surge eritome was then used to make a hole in the base of the middle phalanx to accommodate the peg of the proximal phalangeal head." Any idea what surge eritome could be? ...

S/l "pillow Lamale" Hammertoe Surgery
Sep 23, 2012

NM ...

Podiatry Help - S/l Hammertoe With Painful "hum-oh-mo Molly."
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! ...