A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would you place hyphens, and where? - DMDM

Posted: Nov 26, 2010

Left upper lobe lung mass? Where would you place hyphens here? Help appreciated!

Left-upper-lobe lung mass - MTINND

[ In Reply To ..]
Left upper lobe is describing the lung mass.

I wouldn't put any hyphens. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Right, there are definitely no - hypens for that description sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Those are not modifiers.
Look like modifers to me - MTINND
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I'm not perfect. :( (just kidding, don't get your panties in a wad).

That's why we have DISCUSSION boards! :) Yay!!
AHDI Book of Style 3 says NO hyphens, but it may depend on where you work - just passing through
[ In Reply To ..]

Don’t mean to get in the middle of your discussion, but just another point of view.  

I have always typed it without hyphens because that is what they preferred where I work.

If you go by AHDI Book of Style 3, there would be no hyphens:

Some compound modifiers are commonly used together, or are so clear, that they are automatically read as a unit and do not need to be joined with a hyphen.

EXAMPLE:

dark brown lesion
deep tendon reflexes
jugular venous distention
left lower quadrant
low back pain

Do not use hyphens with most disease-entity modifiers even when they precede the noun. Check appropriate medical references for guidance.

EXAMPLE:

cervical disk disease
oat cell carcinoma
pelvic inflammatory disease
sickle cell disease
urinary tract infection

Thanks! The hyphens didn't look right. - DMDM
[ In Reply To ..]
So I didn't add them. Thank you all for your input!

Absolutely NO hyphens. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Hyphens?
Sep 13, 2010

I have a question about whether or not I should use hyphens in the words up-to-date in this sentence, "She is not up-to-date on her screenings."  My school was strict about when to and not to use hyphens in multi-word phrases, so I'm a little paranoid about how to manage these types of things in an actual job.  ...

Hyphens Or Not
Aug 07, 2011

The sentence is: Patient is able to heel walk, toe walk, and do single foot toe raises. Or should it be: Patient is able to heel-walk, toe-walk, and do single-foot-toe raises. Any help please?   ...

Hyphens In Numbers
Oct 16, 2009

Hi, I have been gigged for this no matter how I do it...I had one QA person that said it should be written   1- x 2-cm and the other one said it should be 1 x 2-cm (which I prefer)..Any experts out there? Thanks ...

Hyphens - Midright, Or Mid Right?
Aug 11, 2010

would it be mid-right, midright, or mid right? ...

Over Thinking Hyphens
Sep 29, 2013

I have stumped myself by thinking too much about what is an adjective and when does a noun act like an adjective. I'm very clear on something like short arm cast not being hyphanated (each word is a noun), but what about needle tip placement?  Is there supposed to be a hyphen there? Fluoroscopy was used to confrm needle tip placement   OR Fluoroscopy was used to confrm needle-tip placement. I would appreciate some feedback about it.  ...

Hyphens For Modifiers
Dec 31, 2014

motor vehicle accident-related cognitive symptoms or motor-vehicle-accident-related cognitive symptoms ?   Any help is appreciated! ...

Hyphens Or No Hypen's, That Is The Question
Aug 18, 2010

2 sacs measuring approximately 5 weeks’ size should it be 5-weeks size, 5 weeks size or 5 weeks' size ...

Hyphens In Compound Modifiers.
Sep 22, 2014

Are hyphens no longer needed in compound modifiers preceding a noun?  Can you please provide a reference for your answer.  Thanks! ...

Pt Smoked "1/3 Pack Per Day" For 30 Years. Hyphens?
Mar 21, 2011

She smoked approximately "1/3 pack per day" for 30 years ...

The "o'clock Positions" With Hyphens Has Me Questioning
Apr 17, 2012

There is a focus of superficial squamous cell carcinoma at the 7:30- and 9:00-o'clock position, as well as the 6:00 to 7:30 position.  Of note, the 6:00 to 7:30 position was a focus of the deep margin.  The skull vertex and bone margins were also positive at that time. PATHOLOGY:  Further peripheral skin biopsies located at 10:30 to 12:00; 9:00 to 10:30; 4:30 to 6:00; 3:00 to 4:30; 1:30 to 3:00; and12:00 to 1:30 were all negative for carcinoma.  The 7:30 to 9:00 o' ...

Place To See PTO
Jan 14, 2011

Is there a place other than the new paycheck site (I cant get in) to check our PTO?  Does Schedule Source have this information?  Thank you. ...

Is There Some Place We Can Look To See If We Are
Dec 11, 2012

classified as acute care or clinic? ...

In Place Of CC...
Mar 27, 2015

I'm pretty sure I am supposed to use something besides CC, but I don't remember. Any quick replies? Thanks! ...

Right Place To Ask This Question?
Nov 19, 2009

If this isn't the right place to ask, please remove. Is anyone familiar with a company called QED Transcription Service, Inc.? If so, what do you know about them?   Thank you. ...

Here Is A Place To Work
Aug 02, 2010

Hey everyone, I know what you are going through.  I worked for MQ for a very long time . I was tired of not making a paycheck.  Try Etransplus.  I work for them now and they are the most wonderful people.  It is straight typing, no voice recognition AT ALL!!  You can make up to 9-1/2 cents a line and they are not picky about how long you work.  The benefits are not as good but they do have some.  Try them out.  It was the best move I had ever made. ...

Good Place
Nov 10, 2011

Are there any good companies out there?   Or should I give up in despair?  Seriously, I would like to know who LIKES their employer -- let me hear from you! ...

Where Is The Best Place To Get Headphones. I Like
Mar 08, 2012

the type like a stethoscope that go right into the ear that are plastic.  I dont like the aluminum ones.  Mine are just falling apart it seems.  I also have a dictator that hardly talks into the phone and I cant get the volume up any higher than their system so that is also a problem.  ...

Best Place To Learn
May 03, 2012

Hi All:  Been a CMT for a very, very long time and ready to get out of the business after losing thousands upon thousands these last few years.  Can anyone recommended a great on-line, at-home place to learn coding and become certified.  Can one be hired straight from a school these days?   Thanks :) ...

Best Place To Work
May 05, 2012

In your experienced opinion, what is the best MT company to work for as an employee (I need benefits)? Thanks. ...

Is There Some Place You Can Look For Job Openings?
Aug 09, 2012

I hate my shift and would prefer a day shift.   After getting the weekly "help on weekends" emails stating short-handed due to MT resignations, I thought......hmmmm....must be an opening on days somewhere.  I've asked my TL who said she'd check.  That was 2 weeks ago.  ...

What's It Take To Get Fired From This Place?
Sep 05, 2012

I made more money on UE than this job.  How can I get fired?  I try.  I disappeared w/out notice for 2 weeks.  No one said 1 word to me.  I don't always work my shift.  If i'm sick of it, I quit.  I never work overtime.   FIRE ME ALREADY.  ...

Incentive In Place
Oct 19, 2012

Check your e-mail.  Incentive in place 10/19 thru 10/22.  Wonder why? ...

So Now That This Is Such A Happy Place
Nov 01, 2012

Maybe there is someplace else we can go? I really don't want to burst the happy bubble but there are still issues that might need to be discussed. ...

Ok Where Is The Best Place To Work?
Apr 05, 2013

This Place Sucks.
Aug 07, 2013

The global MTSOs have ruined everything good about becoming an MT. 1.  Flexible hours (our time, not theirs)- gone 2.  Good pay/livable wage - gone 3.  Unlimited income (lots of work, anytime) - gone 4.  Self esteem - gone Remember the good ol' days?   These metrics and the micro managing are for the birds. Give me a break.   ...

All Steamed Up And No Place To Go
May 09, 2014

Today I was informed that I will be set up with a peformance audit next week because my QA score "dropped to 97.6%."  I have consistently maintained an average of 99% and now all of a sudden I'm down to this absymal number???  I've been getting crappy dictators lately, more than I ever did before.  It's almost like they're trying to get rid of me.  Yes, this company thrives on making its employees paranoid.  I was going to turn in my retirement notice ...

Does Any One Work For A Place They Like:
Jul 17, 2014

Does anybone work as an MT for a place they like? I'm being technologized out of my current MT job and need to find a place quick. If you're working for a great place for at home work, could you please let me know? ...

Gee, I Hate This Place
Aug 06, 2014

like today.  Just sayin... ...

Can Anyone Tell Me The Best Place To Buy MS Word?
Aug 21, 2014

I see a "download" version on Amazon for I think 70 bux. But is this a good idea? ...

Place Your Bets
Mar 17, 2015

We all got the email for mandatory OT...place your bets now on how long before we are getting NJA and there isnt work for some of us to do our regular daily scheduled hours, while others are doing OT!  ...