A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Using hypen with "non" before an adjective - fmajfarm

Posted: Jul 13, 2013

Needing clarification on whether to hypenate non-tender and non-distended.  I can't find anything in the BOS that addresses this specifically so any tips would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!

prefixes are meant to be attached (generally) - nontender, nondistended

[ In Reply To ..]

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for your help!

In BOS...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
on p. 330 under prefixes. If BOS3, not sure of page number, but also probably under prefixes.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for your help!!

Nontender, nondistended - Freebie

[ In Reply To ..]
I think this falls under BOS2 P 91-92, "Some compound modifiers are so commonly used together, or are so clear, that they are automatically read as a unit and do not need to be joined with hyphens."

Similar Messages:

Dermatology Adjective
Jan 05, 2012

Doc says something like "groot" spongiotic papules and vessicles..... ...

Adjective: Inflicting Or Intended As Punishment
Dec 10, 2014

Using as a means of lowering someone's pay sure fits that description I think. Don't you? ...

Hypen
Aug 07, 2010

I hope there is somebody out there that can help me.  Does the phrase  Half a pack a day smoker  Is there hyphenation in this or not.  Like Half-a-pack? Thank you !       ...

Hypen Use
Dec 08, 2014

Example: Patient has mild-to-moderate pain...I read a rule that this was acceptable, two compound adjectives.  Will you please clarify this for me.  Also, I was also taught many, many years ago that p.r.n. was only to be used in medication doses, etc., and not when a doctor says, will see the pt as needed....could you help with the rule of this as well. Thanks! ...

Hypen Question Please . . .
Jun 03, 2010

way to type this.  "A 5 cm incision was made  . . . ." so is it 5 cm (with a space) or 5-cm (with a hypen).  i guess what i am asking is when do or do not use the hypen with centimeters?  I have heard conflicting stories. thanking one and all in advance. ...

Hypen Rules
Oct 31, 2010

Is not-too-distant future hyphenated?  Thanks ...

Hyphens Or No Hypen's, That Is The Question
Aug 18, 2010

2 sacs measuring approximately 5 weeks’ size should it be 5-weeks size, 5 weeks size or 5 weeks' size ...

Infection Around The Tracheostomy Site - Hypen?
May 14, 2010

Patient has chronic infection around his tracheotomy site, but he dictates it as "chronic Staph infection peri tracheal site." Should this be hyphenated? Smooshed together? Left seperated as above?   Thanks! ...

Damp Musty Areas-should There Be A Comma Or Hypen Or / Between Words? Sm
Aug 01, 2013

Indoors there are damp musty areas and cold temperatures, but overall not many problems are noted. ...