A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Small-bowel versus small bowel - cr

Posted: Jun 08, 2015

I've always just used "small bowel," but then noticed most put "small-bowel," I assume to differentiate it as being part of the intestine as opposed to a small, or little bowel.  Okay, that makes sense, so I stated hyphenating small-bowel.  However, I just got marked off by QA for putting in a hyphen!  No matter what you do or don't do, you're screwed!  I do believe they just look for ways to antagonize so you'll never feel appreciated. 

Small bowel - Tim

[ In Reply To ..]
It was explained to me like this. If you're talking about a small-bowel obstruction of the like, you would use a hyphen. Otherwise, it could mean a small obstruction anywhere in the bowel. It would be like a compound modifier according to BOS3, not sure which you are using. But when simply referring to the small bowel, there is no need for a hyphen then. I hope this helps

The other poster's explanation was good...however, - I agree with you about Nuance

[ In Reply To ..]
and their messed up tactics....

Ooops I just realized I'm not on the Nuance board... - I just always assume

[ In Reply To ..]
when someone is talking about unethical, game-playing companies it's Nuance. My bad. Although, I am sure most other companies are the same....

small-bowel or small bowel - all smiles

[ In Reply To ..]
disease in the small bowel

small-bowel disease

resection of the small bowel

small-bowel resection.

Look up 2 adjectives directly before a noun. In that case, if both words modify the noun, use a hyphen. (Adjective-adjective noun. Light-colored skin. Light and color modify skin. Could say light skin).

If not, do not use a hyphen. (Adverb adjective noun. Lightly colored skin. Lightly modifies color, not skin. Would not say lightly skin).

But they might do a small (tiny, little, minuscule) - resection of the bowel too.

[ In Reply To ..]
just sayin'

Similar Messages:

Small-bowel Or Small Bowel
Mar 16, 2010

hypen or no hyphen? ...

Small-bowel Follow-through
Aug 06, 2010

Can anyone please give me a reliable source to verify the correct way to type small-bowel follow-through?  Appreciate any help.     ...

Small Bowel Obstruction Surgery
Dec 28, 2010

s/l  Nafish intraabdominal retractor.  WHAT?? ...

There Were 8 Through-and-through Injuries Of Th Small Bowel With Gross Spillage
May 10, 2010

of s/l "suck-a-sue-tericus" throughout the perintoneum.  ...

Endoside Or End-to-side Repair (small Bowel)
Oct 25, 2010

Someone had some small bowel removed and an ____ repair.  I can't tell whether she is saying endoside (which I can't find) or end-to-side (which I'm also not finding much pertaining to the bowels).   Tx. ...

Gaseous/gastric? Dilatation Is Noted At The Small Bowel.
Feb 25, 2012

ABDOMEN, 1 VIEW. DATE: ___ [DATE]. HISTORY: Abdominal pain. FINDINGS: Gaseous dilatation is noted at the small bowel. Degenerative changes were noted within the thoracolumbar spine and isolytic/isoelectric? destruction is noted of the left hip.  CONCLUSION 1. Gaseous dilatation is noted at the small bowel. Findings have speches of a small bowel obstruction. 2. Isoelectric destruction is noted of the left hip. HISTORY: Abdominal pain.FINDINGS: (Gaseous or gastric?) dilatation is n ...

S/L Kile Or Kyle Or Cheil Staining Of Small Bowel Mesentery.
Aug 16, 2010

See above. ...

Kile Or Kyle Or Cheil Staining Of Small Bowel Mesentery.
Aug 16, 2010

as above ...

Doc Dictates "diverticulized" Small Bowel Sm
Jun 14, 2011

I googled the phrase, it came back "diverticulated" small bowel. Is it acceptable to use diverticulated in this sentence? Is "diverticulized" a word? Thank you in advance for any help. ...

Small Versus Large Company?
Dec 15, 2011

I am wondering what the pros and cons are for working for a smaller company versus a larger one?  I work for a small company and this is the only one I have worked for, but find myself lately wondering if I need to move on as I am afraid that my skills I learned may be deteriorating and there has been such a lack of communication.  I realize that every place is different, but I need some opinions from others that have been in the field longer than myself.  Thanks. ...

Small Mouth Or Small Mouthed?
Jul 27, 2014

And is it hyphenated, or not? I find it both ways for both questions. Looking for input from the pros here, thank you. ...

Bowel Sounds
Apr 22, 2010

Can anyone offer some different words to describe bowel sounds on the physical exam?  I've looked online and the ones I've found (normal, present, active, positive) just don't sound like what the doctor is saying.  Of course he sounds like he's turning away & speeding up his words when he says whatever it is he's saying, so it could be anything, but it sounds like it starts with an "n" and has a t sound in it and is possibly two syllables.  Any ideas? ...

Bowel Tillitation?
Nov 16, 2010

s/l bilious and bowel "t i l l i t a t i o n" . I am also not sure if "bilious" is the correct word either, doesn't seem to make sense in this context. Any help appreciated. ...

The Bowel Was Retracted W The Use Of A
Dec 16, 2011

xx ...

PC Bowel Movements?
Jan 29, 2014

He is having 1-2 soft, formed s/l PC bowel movements. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for your help. ...

S/l Ertral Bowel Sounds
Dec 20, 2009

Regarding her s/l ertral bowel sounds, stable.  That's all he says about this, so not much to go on. ...

GI Surgery, Bowel Divided With A GI ...
Mar 27, 2011

The bowel was then divided proximally and distally with a GI something and then a specimen removed. Loud noise in the background so cannot give you a s/l.  Thanks for thinking about this so early in the morning!! ...

Bowel Or Bile Aspirated?
Nov 22, 2013

im second guessing myself on this, any opinions out there?  bile or bowel??  tks for help The Dreamtome RX catheter was inserted into the distal common bile duct. The wire was advanced into the common bile duct. The catheter was advanced. ___________ was aspirated. Contrast was injected. ...

*Wooltrac* Retractor Was Then Placed And The Bowel Retracted Out Of The Way.....
Apr 06, 2012

I have looked and looked and just can't seem to find this.  Thanks. ...

Patient Has Irritable Bowel Syndrome And Has Taken Some S/l Flagulent Levaquin For That. TIA ~nm~
Oct 25, 2009

xx ...

Someone Tell Focus Their VR Is Poor;"bowel Tracks" Instead Of Valtrex
Dec 20, 2009

Pay us FULL transcription rate for poor voice recognition that we must spend a lot of time fixing. If it has ONLY a a couple of errors, that would be the only justified reason for less cents-per-line voice recognition pay. Shame on you, Focus. ...

Abdominal Wall Hernia Does Not Appear To Have Any "intract" Bowel.
Jun 19, 2012

? ...

Abdomen Is Soft With "two" Bowel Sounds.
Apr 25, 2010

Patient has SOB and now renal insufficiency.  In PE, doctor says, what sounds like, "Abdomen is soft with two bowel sounds."  The rest is very clear, just never heard it dictated as "two bowel sounds" before.  Does "two" sound right?  Thank you in advance. ...

Bowel Packed Off With Sterile "Ortel" - Nm
Jan 17, 2013

nm ...

Just A Small Vent
Mar 12, 2010

I have one of "those" dictators.  I know. . . . . who doesn't, right? This guy is a native English speaker, but he's a speedy mumbler.  I struggle with him, but work on each one of his that I get so that I can get better.  Just when I think I'm getting better with him one of his comes back from QA completely marked up.  Some are changes that could be debated, but some are just stupid mistakes that I should have caught. I'm just frustrated ...

Do You Think There Will Always Be Small Companies? Sm
Jun 17, 2010

Also, although voice recognition has taken off, do you think there will always be companies that won't do it? I think I feel more comfortable with the small companies than the big ones.     ...

Small Pet Peeve
Aug 16, 2010

After struggling with names like Siobhan, Ahleksi (concocted to prove a point), and Yvan, I am so happy to have a "normal name" such as what sounds like "John Carter." Whew! Finally! A no-brainer! But I start to look it up-- no such thing in the data base. Well! It just happens to be "John Carter" spelled "Gionn Kharter." This is just a not-real-life illustration. But isn't it irritating when you finally get a regular-sounding name and it's not so regular, and the d ...

Small Vent
Aug 24, 2010

I wish my MTSO would stop asking people to work on Monday's.  You requested I work a weekend day and not M - F, so now deal with it. ...

Small ? Stools
Sep 10, 2010

she is nowing having some small s/l calvater? stools.  ...

Small ? Erosion...
Nov 06, 2010

In describing the patient's imaging, the hand x-ray showed "...OA, small s/l cystual erosion in the left lunate, nonspecific."  I'm not sure what she's saying. ...