A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ortho knee surgery help retractor name - starstruck

Posted: Mar 15, 2010

Surgeon is using a Homan/Hohmann retractor.  I found both terms in the Tessier Surgical Word Book and also both terms used regarding this arthroscopic knee replacement surgery via Google. What I need is an MT who has some experience with this and can advise me as to which is correct.  This is my first operative report for ortho. I need an Obi-Wan to my Luke!

retractor - icmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Stedman's Medical & Surgical Equipment Words has Hohmann bone retractor.

Clear as mud - Good luck

[ In Reply To ..]

While you are waiting for your Obi-Wan, here is something to mull over.  Evidently, this discussion has been had before on this Board.  If all else fails, I would get a final determination from your MTSO/QA.  If you are an Independent Contractor, I would call the Surgery Department at the Hospital and ask them to look on their instrument inventory list. 

http://www.mtstars.com/word-retractor-confusion-7756.html

Secretly... - starstruck

[ In Reply To ..]
...I always hope that someone here will have THE definitive answer, but I've realized that's probably impossible. It was easier to get help when I first started transcribing over a year ago. Now, answers are tougher to come by because the things I have questions about now are more specialized. If that makes any sense. When I was first typing my questions were "Sounds like Mark-ane. Any ideas?" Now it's all prostheses and retractors and surgical instruments--and a million brand names. Maybe I'll just get a light saber...

Similar Messages:

Ortho Knee Surgery
Jan 26, 2011

s/l synovial "crud" or "crudge"  thanks for any help! ...

Ortho Knee Surgery/procedure
May 31, 2010

The * (could be one or two words, I can't even describe what it sounds like!) about the upper and lower extremities were all padded. Thanks  S/L  plain poralances? ...

Purkidge Retractor For Ear Surgery
Jun 08, 2011

Subtissues were elevaed forward and the external ear canal was entered from behind and retracted using a ??**92.89 - Parker** retractor.   ...

Knee Ortho
Apr 12, 2012

Monacril?? resorbing?  There is redness associated with the incision relating to her monacril?? resorbing.  Please help.  Thanks! ...

Ortho Help Please, Knee Specifically
May 20, 2010

Found on MRI:  Localized s/l "roto" patellar cartilage frain  of high-grade chondromalacia   Thanks for any help.  ...

Ortho - Knee X-ray Term
Jan 06, 2012

nm ...

Help With Arthroscopic Knee Surgery Sm
Nov 10, 2010

The suction shaver was used to débride the lateral tibial plateau.  s/l "Stable cartoid was left" Thanks for any help.  ...

Knee Replacement Surgery????
Jan 10, 2011

I am wondering would it make sense to say "She had some tenderness with palpation "near the border" of the patella.  Or would it be better to type "She had some tenderness with palpation of the knee "above" the patella." I am not sure what I am hearing. Thanks. ...

Orthopedic Knee Surgery
Feb 05, 2011

sounds like planka syndrome, or plankton? ...

S/l Tibio Plastic Exchange (knee Surgery)
Nov 03, 2011

..even Google didnt help. ...

The Patient Had A S/l Knee Surgery With A S/l Cardizel Olds?
May 01, 2012

The patient had a s/l knee surgery with a s/l Cardizel Olds?? enzyme procedure. He performed this ten years ago and I cannot really hear clearly what he is saying.  Any ideas?  Thanks. ...

Knee Surgery S/l 'placa Resection"
Sep 18, 2012

Patient is undergoing surgery for a possible medial meniscus tear.  Doc says the surgery is "placa" resection. Help??? ...

Heard Of JMC Or GMC For Ortho Surgery?
Oct 30, 2009

A stab incision was made with an 11 blade knife "GMC"was inserted on the crest and penetrated through with a mallet.  He says this a few times so fast and I cannot get what he is saying.  This is what comes up in VR as I am typing....  Jamshidi???? Any ideas.  Thanks in advance.  I have searched and searched ad nauseum ...

Knee Surgery; C-arm Imaging Was Used To Define The Appropriate Location At S/l Shottle's Point
Feb 13, 2013

x ...

Ortho Surgery - Placed Again In Neutral And Then A (s/l 55) Shaver Was Utilized
Jan 05, 2011

Next, the knee was placed again in neutral and then a (s/l 55) shaver was utilized to debride the ACL remnant.  Following this, the (s/l 55) burr was placed... Ortho is not my strong suite but was asked to help out.  Thanks in advance. ...

S/l Zone Of 'Romvea" During An Ortho Surgery
Oct 14, 2013

nm ...

The Patient Is Status Post Revision Knee Surgery. Her Gait Shows A Slightly Shortened (s/l Shy) Dis
Sep 29, 2010

TIA ...

Ortho: Patient With SCFE. He Will Be Set Up To Have Surgery Tomorrow With An (s/l In-site To Screw
Nov 06, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Ortho Word - Right Knee With Old "crincher" Rod In The Femu
Sep 20, 2013

Verbatim diagnosis: Advanced osteoarthrosis of right knee with old "crincher" rod in the femur. I tried "crincher" and maybe Crenshaw and got nothing. ...

Anyone Heard Of "Page Leaf Morphology"? This Is A Knee Surgery.
Sep 08, 2011

NM ...

Sounds Like "beast" Needle Knee Surgery
Sep 28, 2011

Arthroscopic knee surgery, Intrafix, and sounds like "beast" needle used throughout report. ...

Ortho Surgery ?? Articular Or S/l "highland" Surface
Apr 02, 2013

He has said it twice and I just can't seem to put my finger on it to even point me in the right direction.  Covering for someone, so this is not my specialty.  Here are both examples.  Thanks! The chondral surface of the medial compartment anterior to this transitions to grade 2 to grade 1.  Even at the most anterior, the medial femoral condyle is essentially normal "high on" surface.  The remainder of the lateral meniscus is intact and the articular or "highland/ ...

Ortho Surgery S/l Vaber Clamp Or Vabar Clamp
Dec 31, 2010

s/l Vaber clamp or Vabar clamp, maybe even vapor.  Can't verify any.  Split the IT band and vessels, then débrided, then cross-clamped with ___ clamp to achieve reduction.  TIA. ...

Ortho Surgery "Silok" Screw?
Nov 27, 2013

x ...

Ortho Surgery S/l Tack Stitch Or Tag Stitch
Sep 14, 2010

The biceps was released from the superior portion of the labrum and a (s/l tack stitch or tag stitch) was applied to hold it in the intraarticular space. Thanks in advance.  I will probably have more questions...new at ortho surgery. ...

Doctor Is Saying "conformist" Or "conformence" Knee Surgery
Sep 08, 2010

The doctor is saying "conformist" or "conformence" knee surgery and knee protocol.  Any ideas?  Thank you guys!   ...

Surgical Retractor - S/l "Turnley" Retractor TIA Nm
Oct 07, 2010

Ortho Surgery Done "under CR"?
Jul 26, 2010

Ortho report about upcoming surgery to remove previous ORIF hardware: "I would want to do this under (s/l CR) to minimize her incision sites." CR sounds a bit like "see on".  CR would imply "closed reduction" and that doesn't sound right to me.  Thoughts? ...

S/l Ac-knee-ik /hi-pok-knee-ik, Full Sentence In Sm, TIA!
Nov 14, 2011

Frequent ackneic-hypokneic episodes were recorded as were epileptiform potentials. ...

Knee Complaints S/l "back Knee" And Buckle
Dec 03, 2009

doc says pt complaining of knee wanting to s/l "back knee" and buckle.  ...