A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hyphenate? 3/4 inch skin incision? - Crush

Posted: May 19, 2010

Blood loss was essentially nil as the procedure was done through a 3/4 inch skin incision.

Should it be 3/4-inch skin incision?

Thank you.

yes, we put hyphens in - unless it is metric nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

According to BOS... - qCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
According to BOS 3rd edition, no hyphens should be used to connect numbers to units of measure (metric or otherwise), as they are not considered adjectives and therefore not used to modify the noun, or something along those lines :-)

Hope this helps!

Would the rule from BOS 3rd edition - - Crush

[ In Reply To ..]
Use numerals for fractional measurements forming compound modifiers preceding a noun. P. 244

Would this rule apply in the situation?

So, according to BOS, we could have something like: - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The patient had 3 3/4 inch lesions.

Oh, yes, much clearer than 3 3/4-inch lesions

The BOS has gotten to be the book of s#!+

Note, this is not aimed at qCMT, but the BOS' ridiculous fast and loose rules of BASIC PUNCTUATION/GRAMMAR.

you should ask your QA person - momof2

[ In Reply To ..]
According to BOS 3rd no, but the company that I work for insists on it.

Yes - hyphenated is correct - 3/4-inch

[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks everybody! - Crush

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Quarter-inch Or 1/4-inch Plain Packing Gauze..sm
Mar 05, 2014

How would you write this if he is talking what type of packing he used? TIA!! ...

Doc Says Pfannenstiel Sterile Incision Or Stab Incision?
Feb 05, 2010

Pfannenstiel stab incision or sterile incision?  Any help will be appreciated! ...

To Hyphenate Or Not To Hyphenate, That Is The Question!
Mar 12, 2014

Her Lantus was changed to [twice daily or] twice-daily Levemir. Follow up with Dr. Whatshisface on [next available or] next-available basis. I'm never quite sure on these.  Anybody have a 'punctuation rule' or something I can use to help me make the correct choice? Thanks!  ...

Post Mastectomy Incision With Faint "telactasia" Noted Along The Incision.
May 07, 2014

? ...

2 X 2 Inch Or " Or What?
Dec 08, 2011

Good morning!  Confused! How do you transcribe 2" x 2" correctly?  ...

Ten One Hundredths Of An Inch
Feb 08, 2012

My doctor is excising some tissue from a child's fingertip and goes along merrily talking in centimeters, then suddenly pulls a fast one and says: ten one hundredths of an inch   Great.  A Google search has just left me doubting myself completely.  I found one reference that says "0.010 is ten thousandths (same as one hundredth)."  So does this mean I need to type "0.10" (if that is really the correct numeral for this dimension), or should I just write it out as "ten ...

0.04 Or 0.014 Inch Guidewire?
Jun 18, 2013

Cardiac cath report: A 0.04 or 0.014 inch sounds like SI Pro AutoFlex guidewire was then used...  I don't know if this is a brand name or what.  Thanks ladies :)     ...

...dermatoma Set To 14 One-thousandths Of An Inch...?
Mar 19, 2010

How would you type the above?  I'm going blank, lol! TIA ...

Correct Way To Type 1/2-inch Leg Length...
Apr 07, 2010

is this the correct way to type 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy?   She has a 1/2-inch leg length discrepancy with the right leg being shorter than the left.   tia. ...

Do You Say 5 Feet, 4 Inch Woman Or 5 Foot
May 29, 2011

5 feet or 5 foot. I think it should be 1 foot and anything over 1, then feet, but now its sounding weird. I always type feet. Just wondering what other people do. ...

25 Gauge, 3.5 Inch (s/l) Klinky Needle
Apr 11, 2013

25 gauge, 3.5 inch (s/l) Klinky needle For lumbar injection.   Thanks :) ...

How, Or Would You Even, Hyphenate This?
Jul 17, 2010

... a three and a half week old infant WWYGD? ...

Would You Hyphenate?
Dec 08, 2010

before and after photo? tia ...

Would You Hyphenate This?
Jan 07, 2011

high grade PIN  or  high-grade PIN  -- iin reference to prostate cancer, I find it both ways.   Thank you. ...

Where, If At All, Would You Hyphenate This
Feb 09, 2011

...failure to place the patient in a left side down position to avoid injury  " left side down " is my question - the rest is just for context.   Thank you. ...

Hyphenate This?
Apr 16, 2015

To you QA editors: Does anyone hyphenate open-heart surgery?   ...

Stupid Question: How Do You Write 14 One Thousands Of An Inch
Jul 09, 2012

Havent woken up yet thats my excuse for stupidy today and Im sticking to it... ...

Why Do We Hyphenate 7-French, But Not 7 Cm
Nov 17, 2012

x ...

Hyphenate 4 X 2 X 2 Cm Mass
Jan 28, 2010

Should "2-cm" be hyphenated?  I know if it was just 2-cm mass it would be.  In this case, 4 x 2 x 2 is still describing "mass" but it does not look right this way 4 x 2 x 2-cm mass. Ugh, it should still be hyphenated, huh?  Anyone? ...

Hyphenate This Word?
Apr 20, 2010

Do you think "colostomy deep" should be hyphenated in the following sentence: "The soft tissue and the bowel lumen measure 8 cm in length and have a 6 x 3.5 cm margin of the colostomy deep to the subcutaneous tissue." The phrase colostomy deep doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.   ...

So Sick Of Docs With 12-inch Thick Tongues! They Should Have To Use Front-end SR! NM
Jun 17, 2015

Do You Hyphenate With The Metric System?
Aug 30, 2010

So I am unclear whether # ranges use the word "to" between metric units or the hyphen, Please help!! ex: 3-3.5 cm   or    3 to 3.5 cm? ...

Would You Hyphenate Cross Country
Jul 18, 2011

The patient is from X and travelled cross country on a tricycle motorbike.  May be a stupid question, but forgive me, it is Monday!!!  Thanks! ...

Incision
Jan 10, 2010

Question: The dictator reads "A curvilinear incision was then made from the coracoacromial process and s/l figured to the clavicle and the acromion and carried distally to the curvilinear fashion.  I know that figured is not right but I cannot imagine what it might be.  Thanks in advance for any help! ...

?? Incision
Mar 17, 2011

My question is about what kind of incision the Dr. is saying. Context: "Examination of the left shoulder reveals the arthroscopic portal has healed along with (superry) incision which is approximately 2 inches, which is healing nicely as well. " What kind of incision??? Sounds like Sue Perry. Appreciate any tips. Thanks! :) ...

Uterine Incision Was J-ed????
Oct 13, 2009

Used this term twice, I know he meant J-shaped, but verbatum account.  Any suggestions? ...

Surgical Incision
Aug 31, 2010

Type of incision for sigmoidectomy and rectopexy - sounds like fantaseal. ...

Incision And Drainage
Jan 13, 2011

Pulsavac irrigation with TAZ? Is TAZ correct? ...

Parascopal Incision
Feb 07, 2011

performed a parascopal (or periscopal) incision over the dorsum of the hand. ...

Awelty Incision ?
Oct 11, 2012

Fairly clear sounding.   Back surgery . Thanks! ...