A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Grammar - No mass or ascites are seen in the pelvis - Sue

Posted: Jun 27, 2013

Hi.  I have a doctor that says "No mass or ascites are seen in the pelvis".  Is this correct or is it "is seen in the pelvis".

"is" is correct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Compound subjects jointed by "or" or "nor" require a singular verb if the subject closest to the verb is singular and a plural verb if the subject closest to the verb is plural. Ascites is the subject closest to the verb and it is singular, so "No mass or ascites is seen in the pelvis" is correct.

-taken from my grammar handouts from when I was in school. Glad I kept them. They really are good for something.

Similar Messages:

MRI Of Pelvis Shows "an As En Tick "enhancing Mass
Apr 13, 2011

MRI scan of the pelvis with and without contrast shows "an as en lick "enhancing mass in the wall of the rectum ...

AutoCorrect Shortcut Help? Palpable Mass & Parotid Mass
Nov 28, 2009

I have entered "pama" as my shortcut for parotid mass; but also I transcribe the phrase "palpable mass", and would logically use "pama" for that. What is a good way in general to handle phrases that would use the same shortcut? Also, specifically for these two phrases, what would you use?  I would like to be consistent so the shortcuts are easy to remember. Thanks for your input- ...

Ascites Was Sucked Out Using S/l Bu-sai-ger. Pls Help Nm
Sep 01, 2012

nm ...

CT Abdomen/Pelvis
Sep 11, 2010

The gallbladder (S/L) circulatory tract unremarkable. Thank you in advance... ...

CT Abdomen & Pelvis
Nov 10, 2010

The uterus is heterogeneous and appears to be mildly S/L levo flexed.  If that is correct, is it one word, hyphenated, two words...? Thanks in advance! ...

Pelvis System
Oct 27, 2012

So which is the correct spelling for this system? Pelvicaliceal, pelvocaliceal, pelvicalyceal, pelvocalyceal? I've came across all 4 so far...  ...

AP Hip, Center Pelvis
Dec 19, 2014

AP hip-centered pelvis or AP hip, center pelvis?    ...

Pelvic, Pelves, Pelvis?
Jan 27, 2010

CT scan of the __________ pelvic revealed 2 small calcifications in the middle and lower poles of the right kidney... ...

Multiple Calcifications About The S/l *lye* Of The Pelvis??
Apr 28, 2010

. ...

X-rays Of Pelvis And Femur
Apr 15, 2012

There is no evidence of loosening of the hardware although on one AP, there does appear to be increased lucency about the fracture site, which could be attributed to s/l moth effect.  ...

Single View Of The Pelvis
Feb 18, 2013

The gamma nail tip is at the region of the fovius adralas??? ...

Ct Scan Of The Abdomen And Pelvis
May 22, 2013

Could anyone help me with an unknown?  During above scan some "vague air"  was detected?     Searched and searched. Clearly I am misunderstanding.   Thanks ...

CT Scan Of Abdomen And Pelvis Help With Word Please
Nov 30, 2010

The doctor says "No bowel obstruction."  _____ (s/l receivable) food particles and gastric secretions are seen within the stomach. Can anyone help me here please????  TIA! ...

Help! Patient Has Severe RA And S/l Win Suf Deformity Of Pelvis? Nm
Jun 08, 2012

.. ...

Radiology Help: Pelvis X-ray Shows Some Abnormality (s/l Lie)_____ Of Femur
Jul 28, 2013

Thanks ...

"buddy" Ascites?
Feb 23, 2010

With "friends" like those... ...

"tap" For Ascites - ?slang - Sm
Jun 27, 2011

I've been transcribing this word for years and it dawned on me that I've never verified it anywhere.  Is it slang and we should substitute/recast or is it acceptable medical terminology?  "Massive ascites; status post therapeutic tap."  "Ultrasound revealed a great deal of ascitic fluid and the patient was tapped." Thanks.  ...

Pelvis Film - "She Retains Good Bone S/l Stack
Jul 03, 2010

Examination of her pelvis film shows she has moderately advanced degenerative joint disease of her right hip with large femoral head osteophyte and medial wear.  She retains good bone s/l stack?? ...

Supine AP View Of The Pelvis Shows Normal Symmetric ___(s/l Mal-no) Of The Hips.
Mar 27, 2015

I cannot make out the word at all.  He talks very fast.   ...

Femur And Pelvis X-rays - Minimal Spurring Of The Acetabulum And Questionable Fragmentation Of The S
Nov 04, 2009

x ...

Pre-mass?
Jan 05, 2010

Doctor says, "There were some pre-masses within the liver which had the appearance of focal nodular hyperplasia." Is the term "pre-masses" a correct term.  I can't find it anywhere. ...

H.e. Mass
Jul 24, 2011

patient says h.e. mass has been present for several months. I can't figure out what h.e is, please help ...

Hyphenate 4 X 2 X 2 Cm Mass
Jan 28, 2010

Should "2-cm" be hyphenated?  I know if it was just 2-cm mass it would be.  In this case, 4 x 2 x 2 is still describing "mass" but it does not look right this way 4 x 2 x 2-cm mass. Ugh, it should still be hyphenated, huh?  Anyone? ...

Mass Measurement
Apr 04, 2012

Dictated: The mass is not greater than 20 by 20 cm. Should I type by or should it be The mass is not greater than 20 x 20 cm. Thanks in advance. ...

Neck Mass ?
Jun 15, 2012

ENT surgeon:  "Neck mass, rule out Breckinclot cyst, type II"   ? cyst   Thanks.  ...

Mass Exodus
Dec 05, 2014

Look how "excited" we are Nuance.  Transparent?  Nope, not even to somebody with a calculus degree.  Your insult to our intelligence is the final slap in the face.  Let the Indians do it.  OH WAIT, that was your intention all along.  Good luck with that, karma's about to bite you good. ...

I Think They WANT A Mass Exodus Of US MTs
Dec 10, 2014

Anyone else feel this way??? They come up with this majorly confusing way of "compensation" for us and have known all along a) we would not like it and b) the majority of us would not be receiving it, so their wish is coming true.  Pretty soon they will have all Indians doing their work.  I am giving it to end of January and then I am outta here too.  Can't handle the stress of this new plan.  Honestly liked the old way better, at least if I got the incentive I knew it w ...

Patient With Mass On The Thumb. Please Sm.
Oct 17, 2009

It was explained to the patient that if in the future this should become painful, bothersome or if it becomes s/l systetically unpleasing to him, we could resect the osteophyte.  Definitely does not sound like cosmetically.  Thanks for any help ...

Pt Is S/p Excision Of Mass From The Finger
Mar 29, 2010

Pt has numbness and decreased sensation to the right 3rd digit.  "We are ordering s/l senswine sign testing"   ?  TIA ...

Lung Mass - S/l Seecam
Nov 17, 2010

lung mass consistent with s/l "seecam" versus pulmonary sequestration ...