A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

GI spelled out in diagnosis? - Serious MT

Posted: Aug 14, 2013

Hi -

Can't seem to find any mention of this in BOS3, but can someone tell me whether I should be using "GI" or "gastrointestinal" in a preoperative diagnosis?  I seem to remember in school being told to leave GI as is when in the ROS but seem to be drawing a blank on this one!  Thanks in advance!!

expand in diagnosis and impression - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

BOS3 states to expand in diagnosis - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
9.1.7 Report Section Titles

Write out an abbreviation in full if it is used in the admission, discharge, preoperative, or postoperative diagnosis; consultative conclusion; or operative title. These are critical points of information, and their meanings must be clearly communicated to ensure informed clinical decision-making, continuity of patient care, correct reimbursement, and accurate statistical data-gathering. Transcribe the diagnosis in full and include the dictated abbreviation in parentheses immediately following.

EXAMPLE

Dictated
Diagnosis CAD.

Transcribed
DIAGNOSIS
Coronary artery disease (CAD).

There are also exceptions, for example lab tests and units of measure do not need to be expanded.

expand? - diana

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have account specifics that you go by - that is what does your client want, or does the account strictly adhere to BOS? On the account I am on they do not want any abbreviations typed out anywhere, including in diagnosis/impression/assessment. What the client wants trumps all else.

Similar Messages:

Is It Principle Diagnosis Or Principal Diagnosis?
Sep 26, 2013

My question is about headings. Is it principle diagnosis or principal diagnosis?  I have typed it "principle" for 10 years. The person doing our QA says it is principal. Has this changed?       thanks ...

Does CBC Ever Need To Be Spelled Out?
Jan 02, 2011

x ...

Dictator Spelled F U B L A R.
Jun 24, 2010

Hemostasis was maintained with a bipolar and fublar.  Dictator spelled FUBLAR, but pronounced as FIBiLAR, or more accurately, FIB-YOU-LAIR.   ...

Are Numbers Under 10 Still Spelled Out With The BOS 3 Now?
Jul 18, 2011

Are numbers under 10 still spelled out with the BOS 3 now?  Thanks! ...

Medication - One G-A-P (spelled Out) B.i.d.
Jul 10, 2012

x ...

Ophthalmology Spelled Wrong Twice In Ad
Dec 27, 2011

Nobody cares anymore. ...

Calvarium Spelled Out By Doc But I Cant Verify
Mar 26, 2012

Here is the sentence CT scan of the head demonstrated a minimally depressed communicated fracture of the left occipital "calvarium."   Spell check shows calvarium wrong.  Stedmans neuro book doesnt have it..Google shows calvaria, which stedmans shows.. Which is correct please ...

Numbers Spelled Out According To BOS3
Sep 30, 2013

If a sentence ends with a number, such as, "...the patient will be seen again in a week or two," according to BOS3 should the two be shown as 2 or spelled out.  ...

Doctor Just Spelled Out Hematuria For Me. Awfully Considerate....
Dec 11, 2009

EXCEPT that he spelled it "h-e-m-a-c-h-u-r-i-a."  Since MQ is so gung ho against us actually using our brains, should I actually spell it like that???? Oh please, please please I want to!!! ...

My Doctor Used Syncope As A Verb - Is This Spelled The Same?
Sep 26, 2010

My doctor used syncope as a verb - is the spelling the same?  the patient was going to syncope. Thanks for any help.  dotm ...

Oromucolingual Masikatory Movements. Is This How It Should Be Spelled.
Apr 17, 2011

This is a psych report.  The doctor says, "The patietn has no oromucolingual masikatory movements."  I just wondered if this was the correct way to spell this becuase i am not finding many references for it anywhere.   ...

Medication Spelled Baclopan? Doesn't Say What It Is For
Apr 26, 2012

x ...

Vapor Wand? Is It Capped? Is It Spelled Correctly? Thanks.
Jan 04, 2010

XX ...

Drug Spelled Out Hyalaronic 100 Mg Daily. Any Ideas?
Sep 21, 2010

x ...

Drug Allergy To *ricol* Spelled Out On H&P Sheet
Jun 02, 2011

x ...

Spell Check - Underline Words Spelled Wrong As You Are Typing?
Jan 05, 2011

In spell check, how do you get it to NOT underline words spelled wrong as you are typing? I prefer to just run a spell check at the end.  TIA. ...

ARA And S/l Car Pul Mon Ali? Diagnosis Help
Oct 29, 2009

I don't know if I am just not thinking straight or if there is reason I cannot find these.  Under diagnoses, doc says the pt has ARA(?), DM, car-pul-mon-ali, P slash atrial fibrillation....  Seriously, I cannot find ARA, no sign of carpulmonali, or P/atrial fibillation.  Any ideas at all?  I am going to continue to think and search.  TIA for any help!  ...

Is There A Diagnosis Of...sm
Jan 13, 2010

Degenerative lateral meniscus tear? It sounds like he is saying degenerative.   I have not heard of "degenerative" lateral meniscus tear. tia. ...

Is This One Diagnosis?
Feb 08, 2010

LEFT SHOULDER STRAIN CERVICAL AND TRAPEZIUS MYALGIA If so, would there be a comma put in? TIA. ...

Diagnosis And Med
Mar 27, 2010

s/l hypergolactanemia.  The patient is on s/l promaxitine.   ...

Diagnosis
Apr 26, 2010

1. AIDS 2. Meningitis versus AIDS "sulfa patty"? ...

UDI As A Diagnosis
Feb 16, 2012

Urogenital Distress Inventory is the urologic term I know but this is listed as a diagnosis and has to be written out naturally. Anyone know it? Thanks. ...

Diagnosis INR
Sep 10, 2013

If "elevated INR" is listed in the diagnosis, would INR be expanded to international normalized ratio?  Thanks!! ...

HLA B27 How Do I Type This In Diagnosis?
Oct 21, 2009

I need to expand it, so would I type human leukocyte antigen B27, or do I need to put a hyphen in it? ...

Diagnosis S/l Hilanitis???
Oct 22, 2009

x ...

Diagnosis Or Diagnoses
Nov 10, 2009

would this be one or two? tia.   DIAGNOSIS:  STATUS POST CHEVRON BUNIONECTOMY, FOURTH HAMMERTOE CORRECTION ...

1 Or 2 Diagnosis Or Diagnoses?
Nov 10, 2009

DIAGNOSES:             1.  LEFT ANKLE SPRAIN             2.  POSTERIOR TIBIAL TENDINOPATHY   tia. ...

Axis III Diagnosis
Nov 13, 2009

Axis III diagnosis, sounds like: History of left "corioma" of uncertain clinical significance.   any help is appreciated. ...

1 Diagnosis Or 2 Diagnoses
Dec 05, 2009

Crush injury, right foot fracture of metatarsals   tia. ...

Abbreviations In Diagnosis
Jan 25, 2010

When did this become okay?  I got called on my last QA that spelling out CVA or MI in the diagnosis is a no-no.  ...