A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Abbreviation help on new specialty - ASmom

Posted: Apr 02, 2010

I have a pt with "EA" that I am trying to spell out in the assessment but I am not able to figure out what this could be for this pt.  I know the pt has anoxic encephalopathy, dysphasia (or could be dysphagia-could be either with this pt) aphasia, respiratory failure, pneumonia.

Any suggestions what EA could be in this pt?

EA can mean several things, so you can just put EA if you have to. That's what I was told anywa - MT2long

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

EA=most likely esophageal atresia sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
EA=esophageal atresia most likely
with this constellation of symptoms;
anoxic encephalopathy, dysphaGia (since the patient is known to have APHASIA--cannot speak--then not likely to be dysphasia) respiratory failure, pneumonia.

do they mention esophageal findings in the report?

that's too much guessing - leave as EA

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

When in doubt, always leave the abbreviation, even - in a diagnosis. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Best Specialty To Get Into?
Dec 31, 2009

What is the best paying specialty to get into? I want to get into a good specialty but I want to make sure it is a good paying one if there are ones that pay better then others.   ...

Any Specialty
Jul 26, 2013

When an ad says Specialty: Any. What does that mean? If you have only done Radiology for years and only 2 or 3 years of acute care 20 years ago, would you feel comfortable applying for something as vague as "any specialty". Has anyone out there applied for a job specialty they have never done and still got through it? thank you ...

Word Help-new Specialty For Me-Help!
Nov 23, 2009

This is for an allergist/immunologist.  "History of venom allergy. She is essentially skin-test negative today. I will need to check a s/l "raz" test for confirmation." ...

Pay - What Specialty To Choose
Feb 04, 2010

Does anybody know which MT specialty offers the best pay rate?  I was told by one of my instructors that pathology and radiology were this highest paid MTs around.  Another instructor thought that specializing in OP reports would offer the greatest income potential.  Thanks   ...

Specialty Specific
Sep 12, 2012

I am a big cardiology buff and would love to do only cardiology transcription. If anyone has knowledge of places that have a lot of cardio accounts, would you be kind enough to point me in their direction. You can e-mail if you don't want to put names in open.  I can offer help in return too as able.  TIA. ...

Learning New Specialty
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I am possibly going to interview with a Cancer Institute and I have no experience in this area. I am a 7 year medical transcriptionist and had a 7 year job in a small pediatric clinic for 4 doctors. What should I do to prepare if I work here and what things should I study and bring with me to work if I get the job? ...

Specialty Survey
May 13, 2015

Nuance wants us to fill out another survey to tell them what areas we prefer (our specialties) and don't prefer. I've said I don't prefer operative reports, yet they seem to give me a lot of op reports. So what's the point? ...

Transcribing Specialty Names
Apr 03, 2011

how do you transcribe specialty names? Gastroenterology vs gastroenterology, etc.  Do you always capitalize? sometimes capitalize? if so, when?  thanks! ...

Specialty Lookup Has Changed :-(
May 30, 2013

There's a site I'd been referencing for a long time when I couldn't find a doctor through Fluency, which is often. It was always easy, user friendly and reliable, and I could usually find the doctor I was looking for under his or her specialty. Now it's been changed to a newer, sleeker pretty look, but the format for finding a doctor doesn't work and is not helpful at all. For instance, in looking up, say, Pulmonary doctors, it shows an assortment of doctors of variou ...

Multi-Specialty Clinic Editing (Mon-Fri, 12hr Window) Employee
Oct 26, 2011

Accentus, Inc. - US Acute Care Division Waukegan, Illinois awillick@accentusinc.com It sounds too good to be true but it's not! If you enjoy working on a variety of specialties and would love a flexible schedule Monday through Friday, then this account is for you! I am currently hiring for a multi-specialty clinic account which is available Monday through Friday between 12pm and 12am CST, you can work your hours on a flexible schedule anytime within the window. Please kn ...

Abbreviation NVP (or Is It MVP)?
Jan 11, 2010

My guess ... is this what NPE should stand for? Thanks. Left lower extremity deep venous thrombosis (DVT) no palpable enlargement (NPE). ...

H&P Abbreviation
Jan 18, 2010

HEENT:  He's abbreviating normocephalic and atraumatic as nc, ac.  Should they be in caps - NC, AT? ...

PCS Abbreviation?
Jan 23, 2010

Could someone please explain to me what "PCS antitussive" listed in the plan refers to? I know that p.c. is by mouth and OTC is over-the-counter, but I encountered the above phrase and I'm completely lost. I don't want to capitalize it or not capitalize it (or even put it) if I'm not sure myself. Thanks in advance. ...

Med Name Abbreviation Help!
Apr 23, 2010

I know MS can mean morphine sufate, but I have never heard of MSN.  I am guessing the 3 is a dosage.  Can anyone confirm or correct this, please? Much appreciated! "MSN 3, she takes 1 time per day." ...

Abbreviation Help Please
May 06, 2010

The dictator is a pediatric rheumatologist-new to me as a doc and a specialty.  Is providing a chief complain of "bilateral EVIS" but I can not find this abbreviation anywhere.  The "IS" part sounds a little iffy. Am I hearing this correctly or can someone out there tell me what else this could be?  Thanks so much! ...

Abbreviation Q.8h.
May 20, 2010

The doctor has dictated "q eight hours." Can the abbreviation q. ever be used alone or should I go with q.8h.? Thank you! ...

S Abbreviation?
Jun 06, 2010

I have a handwritten note where the doctor used S with a line above it for an abbreviation.  I know this either means with or without but am wondering which one?  I don't know how to type S with a line above it and it's pretty important I get it right as it is a determination of capacity for the patient to make medical decisions.  Thanks!    ...

OTL Abbreviation
Sep 12, 2010

Hi Everyone. Does anybody have a clue what OTL stands for when referring to orthopedics.   thanx ...

Abbreviation PFP (or Maybe PFT Or PFE)?
Mar 24, 2011

Hi, I'm transcribing for an ENT physician who dictated the following about a 7-year-old boy: "He has had problems with allergy and symptoms of fever, headache, facial pressure, postnasal drip, and sore throat. He has had PFPs which were normal." I haven't heard the abbreviation before of PFP and the doctor is speaking quickly enough that I can't tell if maybe it ends in an E or T instead of P. My various googling of the different abbreviations has come up with medical abbreviat ...

ATS Abbreviation
Oct 07, 2011

He follows up preoperatively for right shoulder ATS/PLCR.  Did I type this correctly and what is ATS?  Thanks in advance. ...

Abbreviation: PIC
Mar 08, 2012

Patient has chronic ulcerative colitis and colectomy with J-pouch.  He also says "There is no history of PIC or previous liver problems."  Patient now has very elevated liver function tests and is undergoing an ERCP.  Does anyone know what "PIC" is? I have checked all my usual sources, and it's just not there.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance! ...

Help With Abbreviation..Please !
Mar 11, 2012

This is a consultation on a 2-week old baby girl with RSV bronchiolitis. Dictated:  She is still having coughing and wheezing. She is still having intermittent plugging. Because of the plugging, I reinstituted her Albuterol treatments, mostly for the humidity aspect with some (sounds like “PD&C”) in it.   I’ve searcned PD and C, PDNC, PD&C and came up with absolutely nothing.  Could he possibly mean this?  “chlorpheniramine / dextromethorph ...

EGD Abbreviation
Mar 12, 2012

Have come across a new abbrev for me twice in the last 4 reports on EGDs, runs something like "GE junction and STJ are at 37 cm"  Can't for the life of me find what STJ means. ...

CTO Abbreviation
Aug 02, 2012

Patient has cardiac issues, obstruction, right bundle branch block underwent cath and was recommended to udergo CTO.....then in the diagnosis he says "status post CTO" I am not familar with this - does anyone know what it stands for (to be expanded in the diagnosis)? Thanks for the cardiac expertise! ...

Abbreviation
Jul 01, 2014

dictating drugs and I never heard of the abbreviation - Digoxin 0.5 mg IVI, Cipro 400 IVI? heard to IV but no IVI. ...

Abbreviation CEP
Jul 14, 2014

Has anyone heard of this abbreviation? DX: Chest pain with radiation down right arm and leg PLAN: Admit to observation for CEP. ...

PPD Abbreviation
Mar 18, 2015

Infant was given 1 minute of PPD. I can not find anywhere what PPD in this instance would be abbreviation for. Thanks. ...

Abbreviation For Millivolt
Mar 10, 2010

What is the proper abbreviation for millivolt?  My reference says it is MV.  What do your references say?  Please state the reference. ...

Anyone Know The Abbreviation For Microreduction?
Apr 16, 2010

n/m ...

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of The Abbreviation
Jul 10, 2010

This is regarding a pt who was hospitalized for a presumed stroke that did not show on either MRI or CT.  Dictator is discussing this: As it turns out, the symptoms resolved within 48 hours and neither the CT scan nor the MRI scan showed that she had actually had a stroke so this was a prolonged "TRA" or a reversible ischemic neurologic deficit or RIND. The R is very clear so I really do not think it is TIA (if only it were so easy on a Saturday night!) ...