A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A versus an - We are struggling with the use of a and an

Posted: Mar 14, 2014

I know when in doubt defer to what the physician prefers.  But suddenly we have one doctor replacing "an" with "a," and is just doesn't sound right.  I was always taught to us a when followed by a consonant and an when followed by a vowel. Apparently this is incorrect, the rule is a when followed by word that "sound" like a consonant and an when followed by words that "sound" like a vowel.  See the rule below:

1. Citibank is a MNC Bank
  2. Citibank is an MNC Bank

The correct sentence is number 2.

The Rule

Use “a” when the following word begins with a consonant sound; use “an” when the following word begins with a vowel sound. What matters is how the following word is pronounced, not what it looks like. In the example sentence, “MNC” begins with a consonant, but it begins with the sound of the vowel “e,” since we would pronounce it as “em en see.”

What is your take on this.  Bottom line I will give the physician dictating what he prefers, but he is the only one in the 43 physicians in out pathology department making this distinction.  I've been doing this for 35 years and never encountered this.

And you dislike is because.......... - ?????

[ In Reply To ..]
No suggestion, just you dislike? Is this not a word help board?

There is someone who goes around - And Dislikes all the posts

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a person on here who dislikes all the posts. She (or he) just goes around to all the notes and hits "dislike."

I posted a note once about child cruelty and how wrong it was, and someone came around and disliked my note. Must have been someone who hated children. Or maybe she just hates everything, by the looks of it.

So, pay no mind.

yes, Word Help, as in what is your question? this is not a teaching board. - might be why the dislikes... sm

[ In Reply To ..]
dunno. If this was discussed here - you really need to post either on that thread so people know what you are talking about and why, or by email to the original poster who actually asked about it.

Most people jump on to grab a QUESTION and post a quick answer if and when we can, or share a link to a site they might find and answer and use for future reference.

can you give an example of where the doc changes it? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some people use "a" and "an" incorrectly. The rules as you follow them are correct, i.e.:

I saw a UFC fight.
I went to an MRI center.

Can you give an example of where the dictator is using them incorrectly?

You are correct with #2 - Sunnycat

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in the business for 51 years & started in journalism. Many times my dictators use incorrect applications & I have to correct them. Best wishes to you. This is a tough business!

Similar Messages:

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Versus Or Vs
Nov 04, 2009

Im new in this game and appreciate help with a silly question.  When a doctor dictates the word versus should we type vs. ...

'of' Versus 'for'
Dec 08, 2009

Hi, Can someone tell me which is correct? 'suspected of driving under the influence' or 'suspected for driving under the influence'. I think it is 'of', but not sure why this is so. Thanks. ...

IC Versus P.r.n.
Dec 10, 2009

What is the difference between an IC position and a p.r.n. position? ...

Ccs Versus ML
Jan 27, 2010

Whey typing for plastics is it okay to use ccs for the size of saline implants or is the preferred way mL....thanks. ...

VR Versus SR
Feb 20, 2010

I am not familiar with VR and have never used it, but I understand that there is a difference between voice recognition (VR) and speech recognition (SR). I am told the difference is that with VR the program has to be trained because it goes by voice only, sort of like us getting used to different dictators when we start a new account.  SR is supposedly different in that it goes by speech alone, meaning I guess, just the actual words dictated and is not affected by voice differences. Does ...

BNP Versus BMP
Jun 08, 2010

Hi, I have a dictator going over the patient's hypertension.  At the end of the section he says (BMP/BNP) was unremarkable.  I have no values, so I don't know if it was a single test or multiple.  If he's talkign about hypertension, I would think that BNP would be feasible, but it really sounds more like BMP.  Any help is great! ...

Sat Versus Set
Aug 15, 2010

Present ventilator settings:  Assist-control mode, FiO2 35%, tidal volume 400, PEEP 5, s/l sat or set rate of 12.    ...

In To Versus Into
Oct 21, 2010

which one to use...... He called the prescription into the pharmacy. or He called the prescription in to the pharmacy. Thanks!!!!   ...

ASR Versus ST
Nov 01, 2010

If you were offered 9 cents for straight transcription and 7 cents for ASR, which would you prefer to do...editing at 7 cpl or transcription at 9 cpl or both?  If you had to do both, but at given rates, would that be satisfactory? ...

Cc Versus ML
Jan 07, 2011

Is 780 mL of urine correct.  Or is 780 ml of urine.  TIA ...

5 Out Of 5 Versus 5/5
Jan 28, 2011

I've been marked wrong on QA because I typed "5 out of 5" (as dictated) instead of transcribing it as 5/5 (which I would have typed if the doc had said "5 over 5").  What is your opinion on this?  Any proof one way or the other in BOS?  I haven't been able to find it ... ...

CCA Versus CCS
Dec 20, 2011

I have a question for you coders out there.  I decided I want to make a career change from MT to coding.  My question is, is it realistic to expect to pass the CCS exam after completing Andrews or other online schools?  I looked into AHIMA's courses they recommend on their website and they only train you to take the CCA exam (Career Step and Kaplan).  I want to be a CCS and not waste my money training for CCA.  I don't see job listings for C ...

Zero Versus 0
Jan 30, 2012

When transcribing range of motion is it zero to 125 degrees or 0 to 125 degrees? ...

An Versus A
Feb 11, 2012

I have read the rules on when to use an and a and it seems to me that it should be "a MRI" and not "an MRI".  Is this correct? I was marked wrong on Medquist (Momodal) for typing a MRI. Help Michelle ...

QA Versus QC!
May 01, 2012

I keep "hearing" everyone talking about QC and QC scores.  What is the difference between the two? ...

ER Versus ED
Aug 12, 2012

When physician clear dictates "emergency deparment" why does ASR continue to put "emergency room?"  I suspect it is because ED has fewer characters than ER, hence, less pay, and this is easily overlooked if one is not focused.  I see it so much that I have an expansion to change "room" to "department."  Anyone have any other ideas why this is? ...

A1c Versus A1C
Mar 08, 2013

Hi there,   Is anyone here able to tell me where I can find a reference in BOS 3 about using lowercase c in A1c? I cannot find it anywhere! Thanks so much! ...

AM Versus A.m.
Apr 27, 2013

I am pretty sure I was told to type am and pm as AM OR PM, not a.m., p.m. this is on accounts.  Anyone know for sure??? ...

MT Versus QA Pay
Feb 25, 2014

Ok, so I have been an MT for over 14 years.  I have an opportunity in QA.  Trying to find out what the QA pay rate normally runs and if its better than being an MT.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. ...

Old Pay Versus New Pay
Dec 22, 2014

Was our old pay 0.0825 for straight and 0.0425 for VR? I'm trying to do the comparison. Thank you. ...

VR Versus Transcription
Nov 12, 2009

I was just wondering if anybody is getting transcription anymore.  Throughout this whole entire pay period I have gotten nothing but VR, which makes it extremely difficult to make decent money unless you spend 24 hours a day online.  I am wondering if they are going VR with almost every dictator in order to screw us out of more pay.  This company really knows how to screw with you.  ...

ASR Versus MT Work
Aug 14, 2010

after a week straight of NJA...as well as the last 2 months or so of sporadically getting that dreaded message (!)...I had had it.  Had sent numerous messages with very brief and cryptic responses as well as often not even getting work flow updates, which were commonplace with other CCMs.... spoke to new CCM who was 'aghast' that ASR was not in my pool.  She felt that was the sole reason I was getting no work (???) Anyway, now getting work.....ALL ASR...better than nothing ...

Tried Versus Trialed
Aug 22, 2010

"He was tried/trialed on amiodarone drip." This is a heavy ESL dictator.  I think I've heard both terms "trialed" and "tried" used, but now I'm wondering which one is correct. Or are both correct? Any ideas? ...

MQ Typing Versus ASR And Our Pay.
Oct 01, 2010

A very interesting post over in the VR forum which is proof IMO why we are going so broke doing ASR, and isn't even taking into account how horrible MQ DocQSpeech software is. Yesterday I had a 10-minute ASR report and I ended up typing at least 50% of it. Several times I thought of doing F11 on that report. Unfortunately, using F11 part way through a report while saving the text you have done so far on note pad, and then pasting it back in rather than starting all over, however, can ...

Pro T BNP Versus ProBNP
Oct 05, 2010

I have a couple of dictators who regularly say pro T BNP, which makes no sense to me.  The values are usually up in the high thousands, as proBNP would be.  Has anyone else had a dictator say that?  I can't find this anywhere, and if it was just one dictator I would think she's just making a mistake, but there are two, (both of them NPs, I think), dictating discharge summaries.  I don't even know how I should type it, but I usually go proTBNP, and, of course, m ...

To Lisa - ACE Versus Ace
Oct 07, 2010

ACE inhibitor is correct because ACE is an abbreviation.  While ACE wrap is the trademark name, Ace is used to avoid confusion.  ...

AA In Coding Versus No AA?
Nov 03, 2010

I'm really starting to get frustrated with the whole researching of coding schools.  I've been looking on-and-off for almost a year and still haven't decided.  I just spend the whole morning at a school where I would get my AA degree upon completion in coding with job placement assistance, etc but I will be in debt to the tune of $10-15K at the end.  Whereas I've looked into Andrews, CareerStep and also LC Coding where I would graduate ready to take the test to ...

QA Versus Clerical
Nov 12, 2010

I've been noticing that on DocQmanage where you can find out how much work is available on the accts that sometimes there will be QA and then number of reports for QA and lately now Clerical is a category.  Would the possibility of Clerical be QA for outsourcing and QA for here in the US?  The mistakes on the clerical reports are pretty bad.  Anybody have any idea? ...

TTS Versus Precyse
Dec 14, 2010

Can anyone provide the positives/negatives for these companies?  TIA. ...