A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why I am slower on ASR - no name

Posted: Feb 18, 2011

When I transcribe, I am on autopilot.  My brain hears the transcription and I type it.  I am listening to the next words while typing the previous ones.  When I edit ASR, it takes more concentration to correct the text.  Correcting to what the doctor actually says is far more time consuming for me than straight typing which my hands do almost automatically.  I honestly think I type faster than I edit.  If the ASR on my account was not absolutely awful, I might could get better, but when I am having to listen so carefully and correct every word, even a, the, of, and, etc. it is slower than slow.  Then I feel bad that I can't run 600 lines like supposedly is possible. 

Also is it important that there be two spaces after a period? Does the machine correct that at the end?  I spend a great deal of time making sure that beginning of sentences are capitalized and two spaces after periods.  My ASR just ends.  Right between two words, or it will runon sentences for whole paragraphs and never stop. 

Hey, NoName, it took a lot of practice to get that good - at transcribing. Big surprise that

[ In Reply To ..]
editing's going to take some time too? You're better than you think--Nobody could do 600 on the work you describe. I have a lot of stuff like that and don't reach 300 on those reports. I speed up on the ones I can and never reach 600, but I do pop up in the 500s now and then.

The important thing is, that 600 work I was doing is now paying 3 cents a line; I get paid almost 6 cents to do this bad stuff, before incentive pay kicks in. It's a bit too low; I now make more on transcription, but I'm hardly going broke at it.

As for editing, do you have shorts in your expander to do ALL the repetitive corrections? One to insert a period between 2 words and cap the one to the right? I have 2 of those, one for when my cursor lands at the end of the first word and one for when it's at the beginning of the second. They're called LL and RR. Z is for when my cursor's at a work and I want to kick a comma backward, after the word behind me.

You spoke of listening ahead while typing. While my fingers are dropping those corrections in, I'm listening and scouting ahead for the next correction. JUST like what you do in transcribing, but in dibs and dabs here and there. You're obviously going to be doing that too.

As for spaces, if your reports come out with one space after periods, like mine, immediately (your very next report!) adopt that as your standard for SR documents. Somebody chose that for a reason and won't thank you for changing it to 2, AND it's like taking a knife to your paycheck. Some people at my company were still doing that for a while, wouldn't accept 1 space when they'd always done 2, but management fixed that by programming the platform to reconfigure all those spaces back to single when the reports are sent, no matter what MTs are doing. Pragmatist

Similar Messages:

Could The ADT Be Any SLOWER??
Aug 09, 2010

Please wait! getting data!! My line count is in the toilet because of these HELPER accounts anyway.  I may as well go CLEAN toilets at Walmart.  Happy Monday!! ...

System Slower Than Ever
Feb 19, 2015

I have to reboot 2 times a day now. Anyone else?  This is ridiculous! ...

Fluency Get Slower Than Usual For Anybody Else?
Jul 10, 2013

it's been downloading a job for about 5 minutes now.  Rebooted with same results.  Did a speed test and am still downloading everything else fine.  Just Fluency server it seems. ...

Anyone Else Notice Computer Seems To Run Slower As The Day Goes On
Nov 23, 2013

I have to reboot at least once a day because of this. Will anything speed it up? Thanks! ...

DSG People, Is Work Slower Than Usual?
Oct 20, 2011

I can't remember, is this our usual "slow time", or do you think there is another reason we have so little work right now?  This 2-4 hours a day of work is going to suck on the paycheck. ...

Does Anyone Notice At Certain Times The Down And Uploading Seems Slower.
Apr 22, 2015

nm ...

Anyone At Accentus Have A Slower Upload Speed Than Recommended?
May 04, 2012

I can't get a 1.5 MB speed without a major expense, and I'm worried this will slow me down. Thanks for your help :) ...

Docuscribe 7 - Computer Is Slower, Browsers Are Strange
Jul 26, 2012

Ever since they started getting ready to put our group on this the computer is slower, browsers are strange. Anyone else having a problem?  I had messenger but it messed up too.  It is so frustrating! ...