A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What does VR/SR do with mispronounced - IMANMT2

Posted: Sep 09, 2014

drugs... where the vowels are mispronounced and the accent is on the wrong syllable because they are sounding it out phonetically as they read it from a chart/list/whatever.  For example:

alprazolam  is pronounced   AL pru zo lum or metoprolol  or they just stumble over something like levothyroxine..

when the pronunciation is completely off it takes me a while to figure out what they are going for and sometimes I can't because it's not close enough. 

How close does it have to be for VR/SR to get it?

word set up - vr worker bee

[ In Reply To ..]
If they say the word in dictation pretty much the way they said it when they "fed" the machine in original set up (when system was learning to recognize their words), VR should get it pretty close. A sore throat/cough illness can blow that. The system seems to learn (slowly) when a word is typed to correct what it did when the spoken word was VR-d wrong into the document and may eventually get the spoken word correctly spelled into the document without constant correction from the typist.

OK thanks. Don't do VR but am always - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
thinking about it.

vr - worker bee

[ In Reply To ..]
I do VR all day with some straight typing on some jobs. I like it. A lot of people don't, but I get more lines at the end of the day with VR than I do typing. It pays less, so that's not so good. On a good VR day, I can get enough lines in to make up for the reduced pay & get as much as I would doing fewer lines of straight typing. I understand the problem people have with VR, but we're each entitled to our own opinion and choice.

Front-end SR - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Front-end SR, trained to the doctor or not, presents the word it thinks it heard. The doctor sees it right then. If the SR heard it wrong, the dictor fixes it and remembers to speak clearly next time so he doesn't spend all day fixing things.