A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Voice recognition and eyesight - Teresa

Posted: May 12, 2015

Is anyone having problems with their eyesight because of VR?  I am a 20-year MT and find that my eyesight is fading fast and am having difficulty with my eyes watering and burning, unable to focus, after a few hours of work with VR.  I am also finding that I miss more errors/mistakes because of not being able to type things manually.  Would appreciate any a response from others with this problem.  Have really lost faith in the transcription world thanks to VR.  

VR - Eyes

[ In Reply To ..]
Voice recognition is doing two things to MTs; the beginning of carpal tunnel down the road and vision problems. (Of course with being a "robot" now, what can one expect)? Have been doing transcriptions for 27 years by this point, starting out on a Selectric (at least I had control over it). Last year, I had to have cataract surgery to both eyes because I too was having vision problems. I work PT now and do NO voice recognition ... I refuse!

When reading the OP was thinking perhaps - cataracts

[ In Reply To ..]
If you live long enough (and even some babies have them) you will have cataracts, not if but when. I was sitting here thinking why was the vision in my eye not so good and yes, it was a cataract that had matured, knew of it but surprised when the doctor said what it was, thought just needed glasses. I do not feel VR has ruined my eyes. I do not feel VR has caused carpal tunnel. After years and years if regular straight tying did not do, don't expect that to happen now. VR does not cause cataracts, aging can.

I had the same surprise you did...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Six months ago I noticed I wasn't seeing well from my right eye. I knew I had cataracts; but a year ago, doc said they hadn't changed much and I was still doing okay with just glasses. Well a year later, the doc said it was time for the right eye cataract to come out. I thought, wow, that happened fast. He told me it is not unheard of to ripen that quickly. Also, I had not needed reading glasses even at age 65, but that has changed too all of a sudden. Doc said it had been because I am so severely nearsighted that my reading vision pretty much stayed intact, and he said he is exactly the same way. But bam, now my reading vision is shot too. Hello, reading glasses after cataract surgery.

cataracts - Teresa

[ In Reply To ..]
Cataracts can be caused by many things, including aging, but did you know that using a tanning bed can also cause cataracts? Just sayin, not everything is a consequence of age. I am not even 50 yet. And sorry, but years and years of typing has given me carpal tunnel and ulnar neuropathy, which I could live with. My eyesight I will not.

Yes, problems with vision...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but may be age related, not necessarily due to VR/SR; although trying to see what's on the monitor has gotten harder, I think this is a symptom of deteriorating vision (the lens doesn't focus as well as it used to) and not the cause of it. I'm only guessing, but if you are in your 40s, it may be time to look into reading glasses or computer glasses that handle mid-range vision (which is where your monitor would be). I'd make an appointment with your optometrist or ophthalmologist to see what's up. They may also be able to help with drops for the watering/ burning issue.

I too miss more mistakes with SR than if I were transcribing manually. My brain has trained my fingers to put the correct words, but my brain hasn't yet trained my eyes to make sure the correct words are already there; and I'm not sure my brain is completely capable of doing that 100% of the time, well not as fast as they want us to.

IMO part of the problem - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
is that you tend to forget to blink while you're looking at the screen doing VR, something that seems less likely when ST. I find that if I look elsewhere while I'm doing SR, like at the calendar on the wall or something outside thru the window, even for just 15 or 20 seconds, it tends to make me blink and then my eyes don't bother me so much.

VR and - MOUSE-ITIS

[ In Reply To ..]
I can go much faster with the mouse than the keystrokes any day!

But my shoulder is killing me from all the mouse and keyboard arrow use.

I have tried the keystrokes and do use a handful of them, but the one that jumps you to the spot.. I still have to use the mouse or arrows to get to the end of the word or wherever to make the correction or addition.

With VR always use my mouse, still, not giving it - up, can do exceptionally well

[ In Reply To ..]
and after about 13 or 14 years on VR do not intend to give up my mouse.

Dry eye, episcleritis, and conjunctivitis... - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
...have been a major problem for me since starting work on VR. I have 4 different eye drops I use multiple times during the day. Also, the ophthalmologist says we don't blink enough while working on VR (we might miss something).

VR and Eyesight - Teresa

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I am off to the doc since I seem to be doing all that anyone is recommending these days (looking away, blinking, etc.) and supposedly have "computer" glasses and I'm still having problems. I think I will look at this as just another reason why it is probably time for me to move on and find something else. This saddens me to no end when I think of all the hard work and time I put into being the best I could be only to be replaced by software that is not nearly ready enough to be put into place and then have my pay cut by over $60,000 a year. Yes, I said 60 THOUSAND dollars.

Similar Messages:

Speech Recognition And Voice Recognition Considered The Same?
Sep 22, 2010

Speech recognition and voice recognition considered the same? ...

Voice Recognition - Is Anybody Making Any Money At All On Voice?
Jan 12, 2013

I was wondering, is anybody making any money at all on voice?  I keep hearing just minimum or maybe a little more.  I call minimum wage 7.50 to 8.00 an hour.  My experience with it was at one point I was told that I hadn't made enough for minimum and they had to do make-up pay.  So how is everybody's experience with voice?  I run from it, and I just want to know if anybody really can make an money? Thanks. ...

VR (voice Recognition) Pay
Feb 22, 2010

I just saw an ad on line for 03 for VR for IC.  Isn't that low?  I've never done VR so I am curious.   Thank you. ...

Voice Recognition Pay
Jun 02, 2011

I'm infuriated that the quota to keep benefits is the same as it was before voice recognition.   I'm KILLING myself to try to keep up to maintain health insurance and just can't do it.  With 96% plus voice recognition reports and half pay from straight typing, I'm losing health care benefits.  SO UNFAIR!!! ...

(voice Recognition) VR Pay
Sep 26, 2011

Have to learn VR soon.  What if a report comes to you and there were no corrections to be made, does MT still get paid for the lines on the report or do you only get paid for straight typing and then if report has errors you just get paid for those corrections.  Never done VR before and for some reason they make it sound so easy.   ...

360 Voice Recognition
Jun 07, 2013

For those of you who have had to make the switch to 360 VR, how is working for you? Our doctors are starting it this month and of course we are hoping it doesn't go well because we want to keep our jobs as is!  I'm anxious to hear how it's going. Thanks! ...

Is Everything Voice Recognition Now (sm)
Jan 16, 2014

Is everything with M*Modal now voice recognition?  I'm in an area that until now has been doing regular transcription but am just realizing my area is going to be VR in the very near future.  What little VR I have done I suck at.  I can't afford to be paid less than half of what I am making now so I figure I'll be filing for bankruptcy very soon.  How does anyone make money with VR?  Is there a trick to it that anyone could provide?  I sure could ...

New To Voice Recognition....sm
Dec 17, 2014

Could someone please tell me what constitutes "well-trained" speech recognition?  How many corrections, generally, per line would be considered "good?"  Can improvement in speech recognition ever be seen? I am working on Escription, if that makes any difference. Thanks! ...

How Do You Do Voice Recognition Editing?
Oct 31, 2009

Hi:  I worked as an IC for 15 years and then went to work at a hospital for nine years.  There have been layoffs where I work, and I think I will be included in the next round.  I started looking around for jobs at a service again and was shocked to find out how much things have changed.   Now, most of the services do a combination of transcription and voice recognition editing (I had no idea). Can somebody tell me something about VR editing?  How is it done?&nbs ...

Voice Recognition Going Low Rates
Jan 23, 2010

For those using VR or ASR at the going low rates today, do you feel on a fairly difficult account you can make the same amount of money as doing straight transcription.  This is using the DQS system.  ...

Voice Recognition In India
Mar 26, 2010

I'm curious about something and maybe somebody out there knows the answer to this question.  Do the transcriptionists in India do voice recognition or are they regular transcriptionists. In my mind I thin this is what happened to the transcription profession.  Someone thought that if we can get the work done cheaper in India then we should go there.  However those girls won't have as much terminology as the ones here in the states so if we go to voice recognition that w ...

M Modal Voice Recognition
Sep 24, 2010

The company that I am working for is going to go with M Modal VR.  I currently use ChartNet and they are switching to VR.  I have never done this type of transcription before.   For those of you who use it, is it that hard to learn?  I am at this point so tired of learning new programs and I only wish I could retire now.  MT is not what it used to be and I used to love transcription, but I am at this point just burnt out.  I used to make good money working ...

Voice Recognition Systems?
Nov 02, 2010

Anyone out there have experience with voice recognition systems? We are being told our organization is going to transition to this format and we will become "editors". ...

Would Like To Get Some Opinions On Voice Recognition
Jan 12, 2011

I would like to get some opinions on voice recognition.  I've never done it before.  I've heard pretty much negativity about it, and it scares me because it sounds like a lot of companies use it.  Also it really concerns me because I have to make at the very least so much amount of money to pay my bills!  I've done clinic, hospital and at-home transcription.  The at-home transcription was not a good experience.  I actually had to go back to the hospital part-time and work a ...

Voice Recognition Myth #1
May 25, 2011

the myth is that we're teaching it! The stupid thing refuses to learn! If this were a human, he or she would have been out the door a long time ago (and the interview process would have gone something like "Oh, yeah I can do transcription, I was a receptionist at a doctor's office!).  So if there's anyone still concerned about being replaced by this thing, and resenting having to "teach" it, you can start worrying about other things (of which I'm sure you have plenty). ...

Voice Recognition Software
Nov 08, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has ever used any voice recognition software to do your work? I am having problems with my right hand that makes it a little difficult to type like I used to and thought that this would work for me. I could probably also get more lines a day. ...

Companies Who Do Not Do Voice Recognition?
Feb 02, 2012

Can anyone tell me some companies who do not do voice rec?  I hate it!!   Thanks. ...

Question About Voice Recognition
Feb 14, 2012

How does VR know difference between peroneal and perineal? Is there an auto-correct feature on VR that everytime you say (for example) forearm it comes out correctly and not four arm? ...

Voice Recognition - How To Get Productivity Up?
Mar 13, 2012

I am new to VR. I just started a job yesterday and today was my first full day. All I can say is UGH!! How do you do it? Any advice on how to get productivity up is appreciated. Thanks. ...

I HATE Voice Recognition! I Could Just Cry!
Jul 12, 2012

I know this won't help, but I just feel that I have to vent a little before I go on to complete the document. My hands are getting so sick and tired of all the acrobatics they have to perform to do ALL THE EDITING necessary! One after the other without a break! I am literally sitting here ready to cry.  I just want to type! I hate the mouse - and NO! I cannot be "mouse-less" you big shot executives! You try doing this job! ...

Voice Recognition Work? Am I The Only One?
Aug 09, 2012

I have read the horror stories over and over about voice recognition and was literally scared to death to take the plunge and try it. I recently got hired on at a large company where my account is about 50/50. It took a bit of getting used to, but have found that I really can edit faster than I can type, and actually enjoy the break from straight typing. But from all the posts I've read about it, I know many people do not enjoy it. Granted, I hired on at another company a while back, where ...

EPIC Voice Recognition
Aug 28, 2012

Does anyone know if the voice recognition part of EPIC is like eScription?  During the short period of time I had to use eScription, we were not allowed to recast sentences, etc.  I honestly don't know how we are going to handle the ESLs when we move to that platform.  We have been doing straight typing but I have to recast a lot of sentences.  I guess in order to train the VR system I will have to transcribe the ESLs verbatim and those documents will not make a whole lo ...

Editing But Not Voice Recognition?
Sep 17, 2012

When a job ad states it is for editing but not voice recognition, what exactly do they mean? I can't imagine what is different between the two. Sorry if this is a dumb question. ...

Voice Recognition - How Do I Get Experience?
Dec 12, 2012

I would like to get some experience with voice recognition, how do I do this? Thanks in advance! ...

Future Of Voice Recognition
Mar 15, 2013

I was talking to a physician assistant today and she said when she was working in a hospital, she couldn't believe what kind of reports came out when doctors were dictating on voice recognition without having transcriptionists type them up afterwards. Hopefully, things may eventually turn around. ...

Losing My Job To Voice Recognition
Jul 10, 2013

Hello, I have never posted here before but need some advice please.  I have had my own transcription business for 7+ years working for a group of providers who are employed by a clinic.  I have had nothing but praise and appreciation shown over the years regarding my speed and quality of my work.  However, regardless of the preferences of the providers, the clinic is forcing a switch to voice recognition to save money.  They have told me it is due to nothing that I have done ...

VOICE RECOGNITION AND LOSS OF JOB
Jul 30, 2014

Just wondering about this.  For one company that I work for, I had a secondary account -- a hospital, that we were told (e-mailed) we would no longer be typing/editing.  The voice recognition program was getting better all the time and probably was pretty good at this point.  We were just told that we would no longer by doing work for them.  So 2 possibilities: 1)  The hospital was not happy with our editing?   2)  The voice recognition program had gotten so g ...

MT Pay Voice Recognition Rates
Mar 18, 2015

I have been a MT with the same company for many years with pay cuts and 4 cpl voice recognition rates. What is the average rate for typing and for voice recognition these days? Employee status as well as independent contractor. ...

Are The Indian MTSO's Doing Voice Recognition?
Jan 14, 2010

nm ...

Transcend Voice Recognition Program Seems To Be As
Jun 04, 2010

bipolar as their managment.  One day it is user friendly, gives good drafts and the next day or later in the same day it pretends it has never heard medical dictation before and goes off on one of its wild tangents of rambling incoherently.  Can't they fix anything in this company? ...