A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To Skilled Editor and VR Trainer - MT from NH

Posted: Sep 18, 2010

At first I was speeding up the dictation but found that it was impossible to correct while listening to the voice. My trainer encourages us to correct and listen at the same time. However, when speeding up the voice, that become impossible and I have to stop the dictation to make the corrections. So,  just out of curiosity, what do you do??...do you speed it up and stop every time you make a correction or do you correct while keeping the dictation going? ...and What is more helpful in bringing up your line count?

Hi, MT from NH. Regarding editing while listening, - Skilled Editor

[ In Reply To ..]
hopefully VR Trainer will chime in with what is working for people in general. It's Sunday morning, and I'm taking a "break" from work.

I'd suggest just relaxing with it, smaller steps as you train yourself. We don't settle into our smooth grooves until after it's all become second nature.

For myself, I listen at whatever speed allows me to continue without stopping too much, adjusting speed up and down depending on how fast the dictator's going in the first place, quality of draft, familiarity with the dictator, and where we are in the report. (Even one notch higher is way too fast for some of these guys!) BTW, are you adjusting speed quickly using keyboard controls? If not, enter a couple of short forms in your expander so you can just tap one key to speed up a notch (used three times for up three notches, one to slow down, etc.).

Since I'm not a super-great typist, my favorite way to push up those lines is actually to scan ahead for obvious corrections and make them as I'm listening. There's no need to stop dictation to add a period and cap a letter if it's done well before the dictation gets there. That works better and better, of course, the more familiar the dictator is and how standard the dictation. Like an orthopedic surgeon rattling through his boilerplate PE for a healthy 15-year-old. It also works well, of course, for those drafts with few errors that still have to be listened to all the way through.

My best advice is to learn to use the playback highlighter. - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
For most MTs, using the playback highlighter can present a challenge. It is the BEST way to do VR, though.

If you use the playback highlighter the way it is intended, you won't be using a footpedal for the most part. You can detach the cursor from it to make your correction or change and then reattach it. The voice does continue running in the background but when you engage the playback highlighter again, it comes back to where you are in the report and reattaching your cursor to it ensures you are always with the voice.

It WILL take you some time to learn it. Start with using it on 3-5 reports in a shift where the dictator is good and you can slow the speed down a bit. Once you can edit 3 to 5 reports of your day's work easily with it, do more reports.

This is like riding a bicycle. No matter how much information you learn about riding, you won't learn it unless you practice and practice consistently. Some people will learn faster than others. Some have better balance. It works the same here.

Your biggest challenge will be to keep yourself from getting frustrated and giving up.

If you have been doing MT work for a while, it will probably be more difficult to learn it but once you do, you'll be very glad that you did.

This is an investment into a new skill that uses knowledge from your previous process but in a new technologic form.

VR Trainer

VRTrainer regarding keeping dictation running - Skilled Editor

[ In Reply To ..]
I do routinely use macros to jump cursor to dictation and dictation to cursor. But how do you keep the dictation going on its own without using the foot pedal? Thanks.

Using a playback highlighter from the keyboard does this. - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
If you use the footpedal, it will not continue playing the voice or highlighting the text.

VR Trainer
Thanks very much, Trainer. I'll ask work to see if our system has this - Skilled Editor
[ In Reply To ..]
function. I would like to try what you're describing.

At this point I'm using a highlight that follows the voice as I use the foot pedal to activate (and functions that bounces voice to cursor and vice versa). Although voice can also be activated from the keyboard, I confess I never even tried that because I figured using my foot was one less function for my busy hands.
Give yourself a good go at it. The reason it works so well is - sm - VR Trainer
[ In Reply To ..]
that the voice never stops. You learn to mentally and visually (the words will continue to highlight but should be more pale in color) tune it out while you make your edit. Then you just reroute the voice and cursor back to your position.

I know it doesn't sound like a timesaver just by not using your foot but if you are stopping, correcting, starting repeatedly it is not as efficient as it could be.

Takes some time and effort - probably more effort to correctly learn to use this tool than any other aspect of learning ASR successfully - but it is worth it!

VR Trainer
To SE and VRT - MT from NH
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi again to you both! Thank you SOOOOO much for such fantastic advice. Skilled I have already started using more keyboard shortcuts since I started reading your posts, so you are truly an inspiration. I am now going to try VR's suggestion of taking my foot off the foot pedal. I am trying to remember if i can do this in BeyondTXT but I will try tomorrow. Skilled, yes, i have a gaming keyboard and I assigned 2 of my keys to slow down and speed up the voice. What I am doing is when the dictator gets to a point where he's just rattling off his standard PE, I speed it up significantly and slow it down at the lab values just to make sure they are correctly heard. I also have in Instant Text some shortcuts like dl for delete line and dlb for delete line back to beginning. I also have some autohotkeys that I have started using -- for instance WIN+' to surround "however" with commas. I have 5 AHK's and plan on creating more.

What I have to get used to more than anything else is placing my hands on the keyboard "home" keys correctly when I type ....I always miss them by 1 key to the left or 1 row down. Drives me nuts.

Let me end by also saying that as a 30+ year MT, I am so enjoying doing editing. I know there are some MTs that hate it but I have to tell you that to me it is a challenge and that's what I need to keep my mind stimulated. I used to fall asleep at trying to bang out the reports. The pay sucks but I do think that with time and patience I know I can get going with this if I really apply myself and make as much if not more than straight typing.

Have a wonderful Sunday! :D
Great to hear when someone enjoys editing, especially 30 years in! - skldmt :)
[ In Reply To ..]
You will make money. I got lucky in that I started editing when it was new, so I've always been working at building more and more speed out ahead, or at least not much behind, a whole series of pay cuts that came as more and more people came on and got good at it.

Gaming keyboards are something else I'm going to have to check out. There's always something more, but those exciting gems that pop up keep me looking. :)

Similar Messages:

Dear Skilled Editor And VR Trainer
Sep 16, 2010

Skilled: I've read everything you posted and thanks for the response. Okay, I'm not a genius but I'm not totally stupid either, and I feel like if there are MT's out there that are editing and have increased their line counts and are able to earn more money, then I can too. I am a high producer transcribing. As I said before, I am now editing at just about the same lines per hour that I typed. Here's my system, so far, that I've developed: I reprogrammed my keyboa ...

A Trainer Should Be Labeled A Trainer And Paid As A Trainer.
Aug 28, 2012

All the crap we go through is because we are trainers of the VR software.  We put up with the BS account specifics; slow down to understand the foreigners who do not care to learn English, the studderes, the slobberers, the snorers, the speedtalkers, the snot snort and swallowers....all to train the software so they can send the work to India once we fine-tuned it.  Then on to new crap.  I understand the above is all part of the job, but.....they should have to tell us when they h ...

Skilled Transcription- Any New Information
Apr 07, 2010

Anyone have any current information on this company? Thanks in advance ...

PLASTICS Skilled MT-small Opening
May 11, 2010

What happened to the PLASTICS skilled MT - small opening ad? ...

TRAINER FOR MEDICAL TRANS CO
Apr 27, 2012

Does anyone out there currently work as a trainer for any of the medical transcription companies out there?  ...

Fluency Training Today. The Trainer Said To Be OFF
Mar 10, 2014

Are they serious? We are to use Fluency manager on our own time, unpaid? I'm glad I recorded the call or I wouldn't have believed it. ...

MT To Editor
Feb 16, 2010

After over 21 years being an MT, I am burnt out and want to try something different.  Is there, in fact, anyone that will hire an MT without editing experience and train them ???? ...

EXT/editor?
Mar 28, 2010

Just wondering if this is a good VR platform?  Thinking of applying to a company that uses this.  Any information would be appreciated.  I hate the thought of going to VR but that is all the jobs that are out there and I need a job.  My previous employer just lost the account that I was working on. ...

ASR Editor
Sep 11, 2010

I know this is not the place to look for positive answers, but I am going to try anyway.  Worked for MQ years ago, but hated the punching in thing.  I have tested with them recently, as I want to get into the field of voice recognition editing.  Can anybody tell me about the part-time requirements, benefits, and the average line rate for editing?  How much of your time is editing and how much is doing actual typing?  What are the line requirements, and what happens if yo ...

QC Editor
May 06, 2011

Is anybody really making anything doing editing of work that somes from India.  I was offered 5 cents to do it and was wondering if that was good.  I have heard that the fixing of them reports are sometimes worse than the VR.  I strongly feel it should be kept here personally.  Any input would help in my decision.  ...

Editor
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder how hard it is to be an editor.  I checked transcriptionists work for years when I was inhouse.  I figured I could do it. ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Editor Jobs
Aug 03, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew of any entry level editor jobs. I do have about 6 months of experience, but I am not sure where to look for a editor job online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks Julie ...

Wondering About Editor Pay
Aug 06, 2010

Just wondering if anyone here does any transcription editing and if they do, how much they make.  sadly this was the only job i could find. ...

Are You A VR Editor...or VR Proofreader?
May 05, 2011

I'm not talking about the official proofreader positions that people hire in as.  I'm talking about VR "editing" - meaning, when you get those reports where VR does what it's supposed to, and you only need to add 1 comma, for instance, in the entire report - and you are zipping along at the 300-400 lph you were promised, as justification for the 50% pay cut on switch to VR...isn't that actually proofreading?? ...but what about those OTHER reports...the ones that re ...

First Job As Editor...I Am In Shock!
Apr 10, 2012

The reports I am reviewing are unbelievable!  It would be easier to have transcribed them myself.  Obviously, these reports were not transcribed by American MTs.  It has been a jaw-dropping experience so far!   ...

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

I See Proscript Has An Add For VR Editor S/m
Jun 05, 2012

I have been running out of work for about the last month now. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

Editor - What To Expect For Pay?
Aug 29, 2012

I am going for an interview for an editing position with a transcription company who outsources overseas. Can anyone tell me what to expect for pay? - Thanks, SL ...

VR Editor On-line Course
Sep 03, 2012

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for 38 years, with so many companies going to VR, I am leaning towards taking an editor course.  Can you recommend an on-line course? Thank-you ...

QA Hourly And QC Editor
Jun 21, 2013

Does anyone know how much the hourly QA get paid and how much the QC editors make?? Also, if you know anything else about these positions, please share!!! ...

Wonder How Much A VR Editor Is Underpaid?
Jul 05, 2013

check this out.  This is what proofreaders make:http://www.theproofreaders.com/pricing.htm An FYI - 65-character line has an estimated 5 words. ...

Does Anyone Know If Entrada Editor Is Currently Down?
Aug 28, 2014

Thanks in advance for any info! :) ...

Fluency Editor Down
Sep 13, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble getting into Fluency Editor? Mine is saying there is an issue with Client Diagnostics. Thanks! ...

Ortho VR Editor
Apr 02, 2015

I decided to check out the new advertisement on the job seekers board for ortho vr editors. something fishy there. the company name (supposedly) is iMEDat. i went to their website and looked for contact info, as I wanted to know where they were located. There is no contact info. If you need to contact them, you need to fill out an email form and send it to them. There was, however, a toll free phone number, so I looked that up. It relates back to a place called Professional Transcription ...

Master Medical Editor
May 07, 2010

Is it a good move to go into QA or should I stay where I am MT3? ...

Alltype Has Offered Me An IC QA Editor Job But...
Jun 17, 2010

They require that I purchase professional liability insurance.  Does anyone work at Alltype as QA editor? and if so could I get you to message me?  I have a few questions.  This whole liability insurance thing just bothers me so much.  I make so little now as QA that to then have to shell out more money, I am considering just retiring and be done with this profession. Thanks ...

QA/EDITOR INFO WANTED.
Nov 04, 2010

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me what the scenario is nowdays with MQ QA/editors?  Do they still have just QA or is it QA combined with transcription?  Do they pay per hour and can anyone tell me approximately how much? Thanks in advance. ...

Transitioning To Medical Editor - Fee??
Jan 09, 2011

I have had three large accounts for over 20 years.  One has gone completely automated with voice recognition (except for two providers who will never be able to use voice recognition - yay!), one is in the process of going EMR, and one hasn't even addressed it yet.  The first one has hired me to access their system directly (Centricity/Logician) and proofead every voice recognition-created record their providers create and make corrections as needed.  They hav ...

Enterprise Express Editor
Jan 05, 2012

I have a continuous problem with ExText and I cannot find a solution anywhere. I'm using it with Word 2003 professional version. All my Word settings match up the instructions I received from both the company I work for and Nuance.  Whenever I correctly log off, I get a pop-up window that tells me Word has closed and it's searching for a solution, which it never finds. I've run all different scans for malware, viruses, etc.  Anyone know why this keeps happening and how to ...