A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand experts, question please - New to it

Posted: Apr 02, 2012

Ok, so I dived in and signed up for the free trial of Shorthand.

My question is, is it better to go ahead and begin using it while working immediately, or would you recommend practicing with it in Word before instituting it into actual reports?  Also, is there any way to transfer what is stored in my AutoCorrect directly into Shorthand so I'm starting over from square 1?

TIA for any helpful hints to get up to speed on this you can offer :-)

No Shorthand experts here? - New to it

[ In Reply To ..]
I was rather hoping someone would be kind enough to clue me in on the most effective method of tackling a new program.

yes, - SH user here

[ In Reply To ..]
I've just grown tired of answering the same question so often when the answer is easily available in the Shorthand instructions. For you, here is the link.

Go ahead and start using it. When I have - it on, it works with SM

[ In Reply To ..]
anything I do on the computer, my email, here, etc. I thought it was similar to autocorrect as far as how it works, but I hear it is much better. You can always just turn it off if you are having problems. Sorry I don't know about transferring autocorrect.

Similar Messages:

Hem/Onc Experts?
Jun 01, 2010

It seems everywhere I check on this I come up with differing opinions, so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a rather hard-and-fast rule. Are stations and levels standardized now as roman or alpha?  For example, is it "station 11R" or "station XIR" lymph nodes?  To my non-expert eye, the "11R" is much more reader-friendly but I know things don't always work that way. Has anyone heard if there is a set way the levels and stations are to be transcribed? Any guidance, li ...

Okay, VR Experts Help Me Solve This One:)
Aug 31, 2010

I am open to VR and have done it before at my previous job with the same software, dictatphone, and do not find dictaphone bad to do VR at all. The problem is, with this job that I have now, I have been killing myself, I cannot get over 500 lines per day doing VR, and all the accounts are VR.  The reason I cannot get above 500 lines is for every job that is a letter, consult, DS, PT, memo, or review, I have to create a new visit ID, look up the physicians ID and location, create that visit ...

Ortho Experts Please
Feb 19, 2011

Is it dorsal sacral ligament or dorsosacral ligament? Thank you. ...

OP Experts - Help ASAP Please!
Mar 24, 2011

I'm drawing a blank on this for some reason and help would be ever so much appreciated! "The stab incisions were closed with (s/l emethol) and Steri-Strips..." TIA! ...

Bayscribe Experts, Need Help Please
May 18, 2012

Hello all...I'm back on the Bayscribe platform with a new account and haven't used it in ages. My question is, I know there is a Bayscribe page that lists all of the commands, such as accessing the word expander, but I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a link to this page so I can copy down the commands? TIA for anyone who can help!!! ...

Sepsis Experts
Jun 03, 2012

Sepsis.  Diagnosis is sepsis due to pneumonia.  The diagnoses are presented in this way: Sepsis due to pneumonia UTI due to E. Coli Now, if you code the sepsis, it will be sepsis unspecified because you do not have an organism documented for the pneumonia or the sepsis (they don't know)038.9, 99591 and 486.  If you go to code the UTI with E. Coli, there is an edit that excludes 041.4 with 038.9.  Do you put it in, or do you just leave the organism for the UTI ...

Radiology Experts - HELP!!
Jun 10, 2012

I am typing a report about a man who is having knee problems. S/l doc is say8ing "Radiographs, including CENTERIZED view of both knees does show ...   Does he mean CENTERED?  Am I missing something?  Help please. thanks. ...

Any Macro Experts?
May 14, 2013

So I have all these templates to pull into a single document all the time depending on what the patient is being seen for.  I also have to put the name, dob, etc, in a particular place in all of these templates.  Is there anyway to make a macro that will ask me the pertinent info up front and then when done it all just populates ready for me to just type?  This is in Word by the way. ...

A Question For HIPAA Experts, Please
Jan 26, 2012

I just had a rather unsettling experience and would like some feedback.  If I am wrong, please let me know that, too.  I had been to my M.D. for some diagnostic tests.  I was out this morning and when I returned, the doc's assistant had called and left the information--including my test names and  results--on the answering device for my phone.  We have household help  and I am not the only family member who lives here.  No one else was in my house at the t ...

Transcription Experts - Any Thoughts - Nm
Mar 27, 2012

nm ...

All Andrews Experts - Could Use Some Guidance. SM
Apr 22, 2012

First, would like to say to anyone considering Andrews, I have been in the program for 5 months now and STRONGLY recommend the school to any doubters.  I have been an MT for 15 years and decided it was time for a change.  After thoroughly evaluating the multiple pathways to coding (RHIT first, local community college 6-month course and Andrews), I made the Andrews choice and am very pleased with my decision.  Linda Andrews is very accessible, the instructors helpful and patient, a ...

Question For Skin Experts!
Oct 08, 2012

New client, need it to be perfect, cannot find anything on this!   She has scattered open comedones on her bilateral canthi representing Favery Rockashaw? or Fallvery Ruckashaw?   HELP! =) ...

Any Hand/wrist Experts?
Nov 20, 2012

Pt is status post radius and wrist fractures.  No Tinels, Finkelsteins, Phalens, or s/l donnatells of the wrist. ...

Question For ChartScript Experts. Is There Any Way To
Dec 29, 2014

When I open abbreviations to edit/add,  every time you close after adding one, then open it again to add another,  it seems to take forever.   Is there any way to speed this process up?   I have decent internet, nothing else is slow.  When I transcribe, the program itself goes well.   It's only the abbreviation section that's so poky.    Any ideas how to make this go faster,  the adding abbreviations?  ...

Do We Have Any Experts On Setting Macros In Word? Sm
Nov 13, 2010

My account has capped and bolded headings.  For some reason, VR NEVER bolds.  I guess it isn't capable of doing so!  Is there any way to set up a macro to bold like maybe all headings or bold words in caps or anything like that? Even bold from the : to the beginning of the line maybe? I can't seem to figure out how to set this up.  There used to be a webpage for help with macros and shortcuts but I don't recall what it was.  Does anyone know what I am tal ...

Wound Experts Needed ASAP Please
Mar 27, 2011

The sentence reads,"The assigned nurse this morning reports that he had been having dressing changes to the right foot b.i.d. prior to admission with a (s/l sandeel)." Any ideas on what this word might be?  TIA to anyone who can help! ...

Any Microsoft Word 2010 Experts Out There?
Feb 23, 2013

I just downloaded a free trial of a medical/pharmaceutical dictionary and when I went to import it into my custom dictionaries, it says it must be converted to a Unicode document before importing. I'm confused...Does anyone know what this means or how to "convert" it to Unicode?  I'm totally  new to MSO 2010, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ...

Feedback From QA "experts"
May 13, 2010

I'm fairly new to working with MQ, but is it just me, or do the feedbacks from QA come back very frequently contradicting the information from the client profiles and samples in the respository? I finally called up and asked what the hay was up.  I cited and was able to back up many of my complaints (year-old, changed to year old, than on another year old, changed to year-old; commas in then commas out,  surgeon name in, then surgeon's name out...) More often than not, the " ...

Here's Another Shorthand Tip...
Oct 17, 2009

Someone recently had an issue with Shorthand and Autocorrect both operating at the same time, and they were apparently fighting with each other, because both of them had some of the same expansions/corrections, so the user was getting duplicate text. I finally worked out a system for myself where Shorthand is used for actual expansions, shortcuts, etc. Autocorrect is restricted to correcting misspelled and mis-capitalized words.If I have done it correctly, never the twain should meet, and I can ...

Shorthand V10 Help
Jun 16, 2011

I've been using Shorthand all along on my work computer and love it, particularly the fact that it works anywhere - email, Word, platforms, etc.    I recently downloaded the trial version for my home computer, but, while it works fine in Word documents, it won't work at all anywhere else.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ...

ShortHand - What's So Different About It?
Feb 11, 2012

Ok, I downloaded Short Hand expander program but, for the life of me, it looks just like the standard auto expander/auto correct that comes with word. I've looked over the very brief tutorial that came with it and I don't see where this will increase my productivity anymore than my current Word-based AC/AE work for me. All those Short Hand experts out there (and I believe there are at least a few of you), can someone tell me how this works differently than what I'm already usin ...

Shorthand/MS-DOS
Jun 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Shorthand will work in MS-DOS?  Thanks. ...

I Need Shorthand 10
Feb 19, 2013

Do you have a Shorthand 10 program to spare me that's not limited only for 30 days?  I just updated to Windows 7 and badly needs a shorthand expander compatible for Windows 7.here's my email just in case:top_v_gun@yahoo.com Thanks!  ...

Are Any Of You Who Use Shorthand Getting
Dec 11, 2013

that message again about your Shorthand license will expire in ??? days?   Just wondering if it's just me ~ or they trying to tell me I will not have a job in 20 days?   ...

Shorthand 10 Help
Nov 17, 2014

Since I'm unable to use MS auto correct with my current platform I explored Shorthand, a program I used years ago.  They've gotten too smart for me.  All I want to do is add words on the fly.  The screen I get when invoking SH10 shows no way to save any entry I might make.  Surely I'm missing something here.  If anyone can point the way I'd appreciate it--enter text, save and move on.  Thanks.   ...

Anyone Use And Like Shorthand?
Dec 03, 2014

Does it work interactively in MS Word?  Can you easily transfer your entries from Autocorrect to Shorthand?  I was checking out Instant Text but apparently now you have to download it, not avail on disk.  I think this means if your computer crashes and/or you want it on a new computer you have to RE-BUY it (at almost $200)...yeah I don't think so!   ...

Bayscribe/shorthand
Oct 13, 2009

How do I transfer my Shorthand to Bayscribe word expander. ...

Shorthand Programs
Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Convert Shorthand 10
Nov 25, 2009

I'm getting a company computer and will be working on that one and mine.  They don't allow Shorthand (or any other program) to be put on their computer, so need to convert my Shorthand to Word autocorrect entries for the work computer.  I would do it manually (you know, one entry at a time) but I have about 4500 entries and need an automated way.   Thanks in advance ...

Need Shorthand 10 Help With Font . . . .
Feb 19, 2010

Don't know why this is not working . . .  I need to get the "Suggestion Window Font" to a bigger size.  I have changed the font to say Times New Roman 14 and it shows that it changed it in the "Suggestion Window Font" but when I go into my report and run a shorthand word it stays small, never changed.  I got everything else to a bigger font except for this.  I hit "okay" after I changed it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!     ...