A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

favorite kind of earphones? - pattyb

Posted: Aug 01, 2011

Does anyone have a favorite kind of earphones? I need something to better filter out all my white noise/static.

Earphones - cnbc

[ In Reply To ..]
I started using my daughter's stereo headphones and love them. Certainly not your typical stethoscope-type transcription headphones, but they block out the outside world and are very clear. I bought them at Sears for around $25.

earphones - RoseS

[ In Reply To ..]
I use earbud type, similar to the iphone. I don't like anything over my head or under my chin so the wires are perfect. I get the kind that have the extra rubber piece, not just a cup type. I ordered mine online, a friend bought hers from QVC! I saw them advertised this weekend for $15 at a furniture/appliance store. I also needed an extension because the cord was too short, which was about another $15. I love them, wouldn't trade for anything. A coworker bought a the stereo type that completely covers your ears at Walmart a number of years ago and still has them.

I use iFrogz from Wal-Mart - Love em!

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/IFROGZ-Headphones-EarPollution-Plugs-Assorted-Colors/13025704

They are the ear bud type with the rubber piece like above, but they are only $10, and with the rate I seem to go through head sets (not the ear phones' fault: kids, cats, etc.) I can actually afford it rather than buying $25-$50 head sets every month. The cord is pretty short, so you will probably need an extension, but they do really well at blocking out noise!

Sony noise cancelling - anonymouse

[ In Reply To ..]
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones at Radio Shack last week. They were $50, but they work really well. You can use them without the noise cancel or with it. Of course I use with the noise cancel. If you want the noise cancel on you put a AAA battery in them and there is an on/off switch and they are awesome.

Noise caneling headphones - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
check out the office max, etc., stores. Also transcriptiongear.com has them. You might want to shop around. My 20yo son swears by them. They can be pricey so price compare and try some out. I think they would be a god send with kids, air conditioners, etc., running in the house while you are working. I am looking myself, but $50 doesn't sound too bad. Just be sure they actually cut out all unnecessary sound! The are over to the top of your ears and not fitted into your ears. Whomever finds a really good set for a reasonable rate should post where they got them on them on the board!!!!

noise cancelling headphones - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Amazon has them all over the place. Watch for price tho. Some of the really expensive ones like Bose are really not necessary! Read the reviews and see what others think! Amazon has always been great about buying things through them, but I also highly recommend transcriptiongear.com

Noise cancelling - noyb

[ In Reply To ..]
Got mine at RadioShack for 35 dollars. Best money I've ever spent.

Earphones - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I love my Shure earphones! I have the SE115. They do an awesome job of blocking out noise. I can't even hear someone standing right next to me and talking to me unless I take them out. I like the fact that you can put the cord behind your head so it doesn't get in my way. They are a bit pricey (about $100), but I found a pair on Amazon not too long ago for $50.

If you are looking for something to get rid of white noise/static from your computer, you might want to try a USB sound card. I have a SoundBlaster one that is just plug and play (no need to download software), and it does a great job of blocking out that static and helping the quality of the audio.

usb sound card - pattyb

[ In Reply To ..]
usb sound card sounds like something I could REALLY use. Can you buy those anywhere for any computer? I'll have to start looking around for one. I was thinking I'd have to find some very expensive software to filter the static filled dictation

earphones - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I just bought some earbud type at The Dollar Store for about $2.00. The best I have used in 22 years.

USB sound card - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
You can get a USB sound card on Amazon. They have the Turtle Beach ones for about $25 (this does require you to download software, but it wasn't a problem with my employer even though it was their computer--might want to check with them first). Amazon also has the Creative SoundBlaster XiFi Go for about $30 (this is what I use and there is software you can download but you don't have to use it for the sound card to work). For me it was worth the money to prevent the major headache that listening to all of that static and computer noise gives me!

I bought the Logitech Ultimate Ears 600 and they - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
are definitely NOT worth the money I paid for them (around $100.00). The ones I had bought at Wal-Mart for 5-15 dollars worked just as well. I won't make the mistake again of buying pricey ones. Trying to sell them on E-bay now just to try and recoup some of my money.

Bought a pair of noise canceling headphones - They worked very well

[ In Reply To ..]
but one side quit working after a few months. I just get tired of having to edit 500 lines to buy my OWN headphones to do this job.

That is why I don't like stereo earphones. - They muffle the enunciation of words.

[ In Reply To ..]
I always use the stethoscope earphones (metal is preferred). Being piped to your ears, they tend to eliminate the white noise enough to hear the voice much better. I do keep a variety of earphones available for different types of voices, the whisperers, ESL mush mouths, American mushmouths, ESL and American motor mouths, the word swallowers, the Tick Award recipients (ENUNCIATE!), and the gargling-syllable cellphone users.

Similar Messages:

Ear Buds Or Earphones
Jul 02, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for a good brand of these? I've read about the Sony Noise cancelling headphones that many of you like, but I really don't prefer the type that cover the whole ear. I wear glasses and after a time, my ears get kind of sore from the cup pressing on my ears over the glasses. I need good clarity and noise cancelling though. I wonder if the Sony brand earbuds would also be of good quality? Thanks. ...

Headphones Vs Earphones
Sep 24, 2012

I am having trouble with some cheap head phones or ear phones.  They sound muffled, but I have tried just about everything. I even had some Sonys and they were not that great.  Any suggestions on what ear phones are good to use transcribing? ...

Headphones Or Earphones
Oct 16, 2013

I'm new to transcription at home.  I have a pair of Spectra headphones I ordered from Amazon.com, but I'm doing transcription for a pathology account where there is a lot of background noise.  I don't want to spend $200, but are there any earphones or headphones that work really well for our line of work that aren't too expensive?   ...

Hearing Aids And Earphones
Dec 18, 2011

I will be purchasing hearing aids soon and have two related questions. What type of headphones can I use, if at all, with: In-ear hearing aids, Behind-the-ear hearing aids. Would also be nice to know where I can get same at a decent price.  At this time I purchase my transcription gear at Martel Electronics. Thanks, all, and keep that volume turned down (no my hearing didn't go that way;  I am just getting older). ...

Earphones - Searching For Comfortable Headsets Or Earbuds
Feb 04, 2011

I am searching for comfortable headsets or earbuds. What have you experienced MTs found that works the best? I want to hear well, while being comfortable...:) ...

My Son Gave Me Noise Cancelling Earphones For Christmas!
Dec 27, 2011

It was probably the sweetest present he's ever given me!  He and his sister and three friends are playing "Rock Band" in the living room, two rooms away, right now, and I can hardly hear them while I'm working!   What a son! ...

VR Favorite
Apr 22, 2010

i prefer VR over transcribing and would love to find a company in need of my services.  I have over 15+ years experience and I am one of the oddballs who does enjoy it.  Of course, as an IC I prefer to work my hours and days as long as I get their requirement met for TAT, which is no problem. ...

Favorite Computer?
Jul 20, 2010

I am going to be getting a new computer soon (yay!) and was just wondering what everyone's favorite computer is for doing transcription on. I am looking at a Toshiba, but I have heard they have bad speakers. Opinions please! ...

Favorite Keyboard, Anyone?
Feb 22, 2011

I'm looking at everything from old IBM clackers to Kinesis to Logitech to those funky as all get-out flat rubber keyboards a poster below mentioned. Input anyone as to why a certain keyboard is your fave? ...

What Is/was Your Favorite MT Software?
Feb 21, 2013

Hi all, I'd like to know your favorite MT software that you've worked with before.  What were the pros and cons of it?  We are looking to update our system from the old school mini-tapes that our MTs have to come in and get to something that'll allow them to stay at home and receive the dictations.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated. LW ...

A Not-so-sincere Thanks To My Favorite Dictator
Aug 18, 2010

Thank you, dear doctor, for deciding that your account has to be 100% accurate, that the 98% industry standard is "lazy" and "impossible."  I love that you decided there should be no numerals or ordinals in a medical report, that all numbers must be spelled out except the date.  I appreciate how your secretary will fax in 4 pages to complain about one isolated, non-critical error while also calling the OM repeatedly about the same error.  I enjoy that this leads to the OM calling ...

What Is Your Favorite Example Of Corporate-speak
Sep 20, 2012

; ) ...

I Just Dropped My Favorite Headset In My
Sep 27, 2012

water glass :(  It was a really old Dictaphone headset with a three mile long cord.  I hope it works when it dries ...

What Is Your Favorite Typing Package? The More Responses The Better.
Nov 09, 2009

We are trying to pick a new typing package to interface to Meditech.  Right now we are using Dictaphone EXText.  What is your favorite to type in?? ...

Can We List Our Favorite Short-cuts On ASR
Feb 22, 2011

I have done the tutorials and been doing ASR for years and didn't know about the alt-K to break and capitalize.  Maybe this old dog could learn one or more new tricks.  Teach me everybody!!  What are the best hot keys that really work? ...

Your Favorite Waste Of Time Email?
Nov 12, 2012

As if we don't have enough BS to wade through and crap emails to read before trying to get a little money from them, I read an email that says "Here is a list of the previous MTIs that were renamed today."  Really?  Like that matters.  If I am going to spend my own time reading the emails that seem more like a trap on how they can keep from giving my my bonus, I would rather read a specific instruction....not that someone got paid to change the name of the instruction.  ...

Your Favorite Line Count Software.
Mar 01, 2014

I know this subject has been gone over before, but I need your opinion.  I have spent the last week evaluating the line counting/invoicing programs out there, which I might add are few and far between.  I really don't like any of them!  LOL!   Could some of you share with me your experiences?  I appreciate the input! ...

My Personal Favorite Is The One That Starts Sure Don't Mean To Scare You
Sep 24, 2014

No conscience, this LG, hired to slash, and slash she is good at! l shudder to recount all the I.D. numbers I've seen come and go from her matrices. If you were just switched to one of her accounts, beware, there is only one reason for that! She is on the AB (COM) team last I knew.  ...

Favorite Site To Find Unknown Abbreviation/acronyns?
Nov 07, 2013

I've work on an account that 80% of the doctors dictate many abbreviations/acronyms that I have never heard of (I've been transcribing for 16 years).  Some of them are very hard to find.  Googling gives sites for acronyms, but mostly that is not  helpful.  A lot of them are not found in the Stedman's Abbreviations book or that particular field book.  I spend an incredible amount of time trying to find these. Can you link me to your favorte site to fi ...

Re: TransTech ApplicationOn My TransTech Application Should I Fill In Favorite Work Types & Fav
Jan 11, 2011

On my Trans Tech application should I fill in favorite work types and favorite specialities or leave blank or put any? ...

Here's A Different Kind Of Job
Nov 17, 2012

write test questions http://www.geiswriters.com/ ...

Be Kind To Your TSM Day.
Dec 04, 2014

Seriously - they are being dragged through this with us. They need their jobs just like we do. I am sure they don't like it and their kool-laid pitchers are empty but they have to play the game. Let's just don't shoot the messenger - they are just trying to survive just like us. They don't like it anymore than we do but can't say it. :) ...

What Kind Of Clamp?
Jan 28, 2010

The uterus was clamped at the adnexa with a large _______ clamp. I really can't tell what it's saying...MAYBE "angled Z clamp", but I don't really know. It is a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. What are my choices?  ...

What Kind Of Brainiac
Jun 01, 2010

puts a stutterer on ASR? ...

Some Kind Of Biopsy
Jan 04, 2011

She also is status post sigmoid loop colostomy in 2007 with _____ biopsy.  Sounds like the doc is saying ped-rectal biopsy.  Can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas? ...

What Kind Of Imaging?
Jan 12, 2011

Hello! :) I am trying to transcribe a radiology report and the Dr. said something that sounds like "flare imaging." Is there such a thing as flare imaging? This is the sentence: ..."increased signal on (flare) imaging, larger on the left than on the right."  Appreciate any insight! ~Lotte ...

What Kind Of Computer Do You Like Best?
Aug 20, 2011

I am looking at computers (tiger direct) and dont know which kind to get for transcription.  Can you tell me any brands that you really like or to stay away from? ...

Not Funny, But It Kind Of Is.
Dec 09, 2011

Googled homeless shelters in my area to see if I could volunteer.  What do you think pops up beside the information?  "Become a medical transcriptionist at your own pace."  It should say "Become a medical transcriptionist and you may need a homeless shelter". ...

Use A Laptop For MT? What Kind Do You Have?
Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why?  How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons?  ...

Try This,,,Now That Im Kind Of Comfy With ASR
Mar 21, 2012

Now that I am settled in on the ASR, not saying I like it or prefer it..I did turn the music back on...I used to do it all the time when I was on straight typing..If you can find the right music, like I play stuff that I really really know well, so I hear it but I dont hear it, know what I mean...but the rhythm seems to keep me moving well..Granted some of the dictators are impossible and it has to be turned off for them.. ...