A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Win32 infected with PUP-Gen - mt1347

Posted: Mar 14, 2011

Despite being extremely vigilant, I have been infected by some Trojans.  Avast got rid of 2 of them, but one still shows up in the boot scan - it is in Editscript ("traceoutlogger") in a Windows file.  When I tell Avast to Delete, Move to Chest, Repair - I get an error message.    How can I get rid of this thing?  I'm afraid to go on other websites that offer "help" with infected files because sometimes they are just a come-on and actually infect your PC with malware.   Any help would be appreciated.  

Been there...sigh - Kathleen

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems that no matter how careful we are and how vigilant we are, the evil doers seem to come up with more ingenious ways to frost our pumpkins and foul up our computers.

Sometimes you actually do have to go to a website and have an outside scan done. There are some viruses and malware that render the resident virus checker ineffective, and the only way to get the nasties out is to do an outside scan.

There is no magic virus software that will protect you from everything. Personally, I use Eset Nod32 because I found it much better than Avast. It has routinely severed connections when I clicked on a site that had drive-bys waiting to infect you. (Sort of like drive-by shootings. All you have to do is visit a web site--or with Google's magnifier feature where you get to see a preview of the web page, I've had more problems with that. I have had no problems with Nod32; however, with Avast, I have had several irritating infections that frustrated me to the point of making me curse.

A trusted outside website for scanning, cleaning without having to shut down existent virus software is :

www dot bitdefender dot com/scanner/online/free dot html

Of course, you have to eliminate the spaces and and substitute periods for the word dot.

For best results, I've found that Internet Explorer usually works most reliably. (Yes, I know I hate that browser too, but it will work with Firefox also.)

At the bottom of the page there is a green "start scanner" button box. Click on that, and a BitDefender Online Scanner dialog box opens up for you to accept the terms and conditions. Tick the I agree with box, and the "Start Here" button box goes from gray to green.

What happens next depends on whether you've been to the website before. It does need to have some software loaded before it can scan. You can safely answer yes to letting it install.

Once the basic software is installed, you can modify which folders to scan and the cleaning options you want taken.

BitDefender online scan detects and removes all viruses and spyware. It does take a while, however. So, plan on letting it run for a few hours (depends on what folders you scan, how many drives and how big, etc.)

My husband is notorious for downloading stuff willy nilly on his computer and has had many major infections. BitDefender to the rescue. (I'm here to tell you that if it were not for BitDefender, I would probably have divorced his butt a long time ago, LOL.)

You will find BitDefender to be a valuable asset in fighting off the evil doers.

Kathleen

Malwarebytes - All Ears

[ In Reply To ..]
I've had good luck with the software available for free here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It caught things that my antivirus software (yes, I have Avast as well) and my firewall let through. It will also get rid of it for you. Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Instant Text V - C:/InstTextGlossaryclare2.glo Is Not A Valid Win32 Application
Jan 28, 2010

When working today, I went to expand, it didn't expand and noticed my IT was no longer along my taskbar. I checked the Start for the shortcut and it was gone as well. I lost Internet connection and received a warning of a "Banker" threat, which my PC Doctor handled. This all happened about the same time frame. I have Windows XP.   Anyhow, I found my glossary on my C drive, but when I click to open it I get this message, "C:/InstTextGlossaryclare2.glo is not a valid Win32 application ...

Treatment For Infected Umbilical Scar..sm
Nov 11, 2010

Patient has drainage from a C-section scar from 20 years ago.  Diagnosis is a likely bacterial infection versus fungus.  Treatment with s/l ofloxacin drops 2-3 times daily as well as clotrimazole solution in case of fungal element. Of course, where he says s/l ofloxacin, it is not clear whether or not he's saying the "O" however, the floxacin is clear.  Can anyone verify this?  Does it make sense to use ofloxacin drops in this way?  Or does anyone know of a floxac ...

Pt Had A Bicuspid Aortic Valve That Got Infected And S/l Seeded The Tricupsid Valve.
Nov 02, 2010

xx ...