A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Which expander do you prefer? - JustPassingThrough

Posted: Sep 10, 2011

I'm thinking of switching to either Instant Text or Shorthand from the generic Bayscribe expander that I've been using.  Back in the day PRD+ did everything that I needed for it to do and more. 

Which expander do you prefer (doesn't have to be one of the ones mentioned above)? 

Thanks in advance.  

IT - tiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I used Shorthand for a few years and it was okay but I noticed some problems with it. Sometimes it was throwing in extra letters or omitting letters - it was kind of weird. I'm sure not everyone has that problem, but I did.

I switched to Instant Text about 3 months ago and I have really been loving it. I have had no problems with it and I like how it has the visual reminders so you don't have to memorize your abbreviations.

Both Shorthand and Instant Text offer 30 day free trials so, if I were you, I would try both before deciding, because they are a bit expensive and you want to make sure you are happy with the one you choose. Good luck.

IT - shorty

[ In Reply To ..]
I used IT, had work problems and they put shorthand on my PC. I couldn't get used to it. Maybe I didn't learn it well enough but IT is so easy. Plus you don't have to use space bar to expand which is very helpful to me.

I use one called Breevy, and work in chartscript.net. - Lots cheaper than instant text and SM

[ In Reply To ..]
why should I pay $200 for someone else's abbreviations that mean nothing to me. I've got my own for the specific accounts I have and I'd rather spend a little time entering them into the Breevy program for a much smaller price. You'd have to enter your own into instant text or hope to havoc that their conversion program will properly convert yours.

Another reason I wont buy it is that AAMT people own and/or are part of it. I

You also get tech support from the Breevy developer, and if you've got suggestions for features, he'll work on adding them that day if possible. They have a forum where you can ask question and the developer himself answers you.

I've been quite happy with it during the free trial version and after purchase.

PS: I also do not want to waste the time on instant's "learning curve." Bull roar. I need that time to work and get paid for. I'd rather use something that takes a little entry time, no learning curve and I can use right away without figuring it out, on top of tweaking it and making it do what I want instead of what the designers wanted it to do for them. Breevy works just as well as any other expander.

Many corrections to your post... Instant Text is owned and operated by - Textware Solutions not AAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Textware Solutions is not affiliated or endorsed by any other company or organization.

You can manually add in your own abbreviations with just 2 keystrokes.

You do not have to use any of the entries that come with the program.

Instant Text also offers a free trial.

Tech support is offered directly by Textware Solutions and not a third party.

Many of the new features offered in the latest version of Instant Text is a direct result of user feedback. The "wish list" requests were submitted on the Instant Text forum.

Any new program requires some learning.

Another fan of IT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Count me in as another fan of IT. I had previously used AutoCorrect and Dictaphone's ESP, but switched to IT a few months ago because my new company's VR platform only supports that expander and Shorthand. I love it. I don't think the adjustment/learning curve is that hard at all. I like the feature to count how many keystrokes you are saving and keep track of your improvement. Last week I was typing an average of 1.94 for every 1. Have only been using it since June, so this will just improve as I have a chance to make use of some of the more advanced features. I trialed it first for 30 days, and then decided to buy. As I mentioned, some platforms (mine is M-Modal based) won't support anything but Shorthand or IT, so if you have something else, you couldn't use it.

SH - OnlyExpander4Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have used SH for 3 years and LOVE it. I have not had issues with it all. You can program it to show definitions for sound like words so you know you are using the correct word. You can add meds with the generics listed below. You can also program it to do commands that might normally take 4 steps into 1 step. I find it a huge benefit and will never be without it!!

Thanks, all, for your input. nm - JustPassingThrough

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Text Expander - What Do You Prefer
Nov 02, 2012

I'm studying to be an MT (although, reading the posts on the forum, I'm beginning to wonder about that choice), and was wondering what Text Expander software was preferred by most MTs.  What do you all like? ...

Which Do You Prefer?
Mar 28, 2011

Which do you prefer? Male or female dictators? and why? My preference is the former. Maybe its just the docs I work for, but they seem less fussy and easy to listen to. ...

AAMT BOS.....CD Or Book? Which Do You Prefer And Why? Thanks. Nm
Mar 10, 2010

x ...

Nuance MTs Actually Prefer The New EBTXT To The Old One? 
May 17, 2013

Do any of you Nuance MTs actually prefer the new eBTXT to the old one?  I definitely miss many of the features of the old platform.  Wondering if it's just me. ...

I Think I Will Prefer Editscript To Byndtxt Except For One Thing--sm
Nov 24, 2014

Unless I am missing it, not seeing the patient's age already calculated is a major flaw.  That and I miss being able to see the amount of reports lined up.  Otherwise, I think it will be better overall.  I definitely am not going to miss those darn header keys.  Of course, now I have to go through a bunch of shorthand entries and fix them. ...

Do You Transcribe In Silence Or Do You Prefer Many "goings On" Around?
Jun 07, 2015

I notice so many who talk about doctors dictating with kids screaming in the background, docs talking to other docs, alarms going off, etc.    It got me thinking about when I first started out.  I had to have absolute silence.  Kids had to be in bed, hubby gone, TV off, etc.   My gf said, "NO WAY!  Turn on the TV!  You have to get used to hearing other things going on so you don't restrict yourself to only being able to transcribe in absolute silence." &n ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Expander
Nov 24, 2009

Does anybody know if the DocQscribe expander can transfer between different MTSOs?  I recently got a part-time job that is also on DQS platform and I don't want to have to start all over on my expanders at this new company.  My MQ expander file is quite large and years in the making.  Thank you. ...

ASR And Expander
Dec 24, 2009

The dictator says the same paragraph every time.  In ASR, do you have to weed through the whole paragraph, or can you use your expander?  If you can use your expansion, what do you do with the ASR paragraph?  ...

Expander Help??
Apr 10, 2010

Hi there!  I'm new to MQ and have a question about the built in work expander program.  How can you access it to put in new expansions/macros and NOT download jobs?  I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but I'm getting desperate (: ...

Do You Use An Expander?
Aug 16, 2010

I've been doing transcription for 20+ years and have never used an expander program (such as Instant Text or Shorthand), except for what one can create with the Auto Text/Auto Correct functions in Word. I straight transcribe an average of 180-190 lph.  If I were to purchase an expander program, by how much do those of you who use expanders think I could increase my production? I'm thinking about getting the InstantText free trial and seeing how I do, but then decided to take a l ...

Expander In DQS
Sep 13, 2010

Can anyone tell me the best expander to use in DQS? What is everyone's preference? I have SH and before I renew, just wondered if there was one that worked better with DQS ...

Does Anyone Use An Expander For DQS
Sep 13, 2010

I asked this before and got no response, does anyone use an expander for DQS and if so, which one? This is not for MQ (luckily)? Thanks, appreciate the help. ...

IT Expander
Nov 18, 2011

Does anyone still use IT expander with MQ?  Mine is outdated and since I have a new computer I would like to purchase a new IT expander but just want to make sure if it still works. TIA ...

Best Expander...sm
Feb 27, 2013

Most of my reports are done on Word 2010.  I recently learned after having problems with the AutoCorrect shutting down Word every time I misspelled something in my AutoCorrect entry list that AutoCorrect has a limit to how many entries you can add.    Just wondering what the best expander is.  I have Windows 7 and don't plan on upgrading to 8 right now.  Any suggestions (pros and cons especially) would be appreciated. ...

Does Anyone Have A Word Expander?
Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone have a word expander? and how are they and do they work good. I need to get one. How much do they cost? ...

ExText And Your Own Expander?
Nov 03, 2009

I just started with a company that uses Extext.  I do not want to use the expander with this as I love my Instant Text.  Can somebody please tell me how to shut off the Extext expander?  TIA ...

Using Expander Commands In VR
Nov 16, 2009

I am working with VR and would love to know if anyone has any tips on using an expander for commands to use in VR to be more productive?  I am working in Chartnet with VR.  I also have Instant Text and I have Shorthand.  I am more familiar with Instant Text but am willing to switch to Shorthand if it will make more productive.  Thanks in advance ...

Text Expander..HELP!
Jan 18, 2010

I was forced to switch to Windows 7 and I found that Stedmans Smartype was no longer compatible. After shedding some tears, I am searching for a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions about any medical text expanders that are good and work similar to Smartype (that work within WORD). I am currently looking at Speedtype...does anyone have any reviews on that? Thank you!! ...

Creative Expander Use
Feb 15, 2010

Hi everyone, I use my expander to remember tons of phrases, medical terms, short words I use a lot, drug names, dates, and addresses.  I also know you can save whole documents as templates, too.  But I suspect there are lots of ways expanders are being used that I haven't even thought of.  Any creative MTs out there who can share some tips?  I use Instant Text, but ideas from any expander users would be fun to hear. ...

Text Expander?
Apr 08, 2010

text expander? ...

Expander Advice, Please
Jun 03, 2010

Hi Everyone, I am looking to pick someone' s brain please.  I am always in awe of the knowldege and generosity of spirit displayed  on this  board).    Instant Text is my expander.    I need advice please about how to differentiate the following: 1. posterior tibial tendon dysfunction 2. posterior tibial tendon debridement 3. posterior tibial tendon deficiency I am sure you get the picture.    With Instant Tex ...

Expander Editscript
Jun 08, 2010

What expander program works with editscript and is there a free download. ...

Expander Advice
Sep 27, 2010

I presently work for the "king of quotes".     Tyr as I may,  I am unable to find an expander with IT that works without several adjustments.  Any suggestons anyone?    Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recommend An Expander?
Dec 19, 2010

make entries on the fly?  I have been using an old copy of Shortcut for years but creating new entries is tedious:  I type, copy, open program, create shortcut, paste, close program, return to work.  Does Smart Type or Instant Text eliminate any of these steps?  Thanks!      ...

The Best Word Expander
Jan 30, 2011

What is everyone using for their word expander program?  I have been trying out ASUTYPE and like it so far. ...

Word Expander??
Feb 10, 2011

Does anyone know of a free program for short hand or word expander? ...

Best Word Expander
Jul 08, 2011

I'm looking for a word expander that really works well with the way I want to type.  I want a word expander that expands with any trigger, i.e, space bar, apostrophe, parenthesis, period, comma, etc. I also want an expander that allows me to build on an existing word without creating an inappropriate word.  For instance, my shortcut for lymphocytes is ly.  When the VR text gives my essential, and I want to turn it into essentially, I want to be able to add the ly t ...

Which Word Expander Do You Use?
Jul 16, 2011

I am wondering which word expander is the best. If you use one, which one do you use? How would you rate it? How much do you think it maximizes your productivity? ...

Text Expander And SR
Aug 03, 2011

In school, we were given the opportunity to have a 4-month trial of Shorthand for Windows. I really enjoyed using this program and had considered purchasing an extended license for it when I become employed; however, I thought of the MT industry heading more towards SR/VR editing and wondered if having a text expander would be useful at all. Any inputs? I'm currently using Word's AutoCorrect as a substitute. ...