A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Customizing MS Word auto number feature - TMEFG

Posted: Dec 23, 2009

We use a Word-based (2003) platform and when the documents are finished, they are automatically uploaded into Meditech.  Most of the transcriptionists at our work have hashed out and come up with the best way to number lists that looks nice in Meditech.  About half of us use the auto number feature and the rest do not.  I have figured out how to customize the auto number feature to the way we want it formatted, but the settings did not stick when I signed out and signed back in.  Does anyone have any insight to this?  If it is something that just happens with the way Word is set up, I guess I can turn it off or just deal, but it would be awsome if I could make it stick.  Thanks for any and all help :)

Customizing MS Word auto number feature - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I created a macro to create numbered lists. First I type the list without numbers. Then I highlight the list and run the macro. I'm using Word 2007, so my procedure to create a macro is different from yours. I hope this is helpful.

Text from Word to MEDITECH - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck with that! :-) First of all, it is not MS Word or any other application other than MEDITECH. I don't know what version of MEDITECH you are using and that may make a difference. I can only tell you what I know and experienced from creating MS Word templates to use with MEDITECH and HealthBridge. First of all, MEDITECH is not too "bright," :-). MEDITECH does not "understand" all the formatting features of MS Word or any other modern software program for that matter. :-) MEDITECH does not like auto-numbering or hanging indents or other stuff of any kind -- it's antiquated language will override and you get what MEDITECH version can offer. Macros do not matter, because all macros are are automated functions to do what you do, i.e. autonumbering, etc., in the first place; so, basically with macros keep in mind that you are just performing the same task only it is automated. :-) From my experience, working with a vendor, Word 2003, IT analyst, and MEDITECH, first thing you have to do is determine what your output can handle, because your input is only as good as your output. You can have the top of the line everything (which I have experienced when working as an MT with my ISP and as a graphic artist), you can format, set resolution, etc. to the high heaven, but if your output device/MT server/digital printer, or whatever cannot handle what you have created, i.e. in your case auto numbering, the system will either reject it or translate it into something else, which is what happens with the antiquated MEDITECH system. AND MTs NEED TO KNOW THIS, because nowhere on earth would anyone in this modern age even assume that there is a system out there that does not "understand" formatting techniques that are being used in MS Word (basically because everyone has used these features for years and all kinds of software programs use the features of Word, which are basic, and other programs use features that are even more advanced. Actually, I would say that ALL or at least most at this point in time medical records systems unless they are really up-to-date with the rest of the world lack this, which is why PDFs were such a big hit over the last few years -- but people in other businesses/industries have been using PDFs for years and really have moved on from them or improved them to a greater point.

WORD 2003 AND THE ANTIQUATED MEDITECH SYSTEM (and probably other medical records systems) ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. You can only create in MS Word what MEDITECH can handle if you want anything close.

Numbering - TMEFG

[ In Reply To ..]
ExText is our platform, but the jobs upload into Meditech after we finish the job. We are now pushing to have more doctors e-sign (which has to be done in Meditech), so we want it to be as flawless as we can possibly get it without all the screwy formatting. Because we know that Meditech does not recognize things like the tabs set in auto numbering, degree symbols, or accent marks, we are trying to standardize the way we do things. I love using the auto number feature especially if a doctor goes back and adds a number in the middle of the list because it automatically renumbers the list for you. I customized it to take out all of the tabs and use two spaces after the number and before the first word, but with every document, it starts to indent again. All I want is for the setting for the indent to stick.

Similar Messages:

Auto Number No Longer Works With Upgrade
Mar 11, 2013

x ...

Autocorrect Feature In Word 2007
Oct 14, 2011

I used Word 2003 autocorrect feature (Ctrl+E) to add entries into the autocorrect. It doesn't work with Word 2007.  Does anyone know if there is another function key for this in 2007?  I'm talking enter "wnl" and it expands to "within normal limits", all done while in the document and not having to go into the tools and options menu.  ...

Microsoft Word 2007 - AutoCorrect/AutoText Feature Really Gone?
May 03, 2012

Working in an office on Microsoft Word 2007.  Is the AutoCorrect/AutoText feature really gone?  I saw the Quick Parts thing, but that is very slow in our business.  Also is there any way to put in jump markers to get around in the report quicker?  I see why no transcription service uses Microsoft.  Sure isn't good for what we do.  Thanks.  ...

Anyone Know How To Back Up Auto Corrections On Word
Apr 08, 2010

Does anyone know how to back up your autocorrections on Word 2003.  I have a flashdrive I would like to put them on so that I can do a system restore.  Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated. ...

How To Use MS WORD Auto Correct Within Winscribe???
May 04, 2011

Does anyone know how to use MSWord auto correct when in side the winscribe system?  If so, I would really appreciate some guidance.   Thank you so much.   Gloria ...

Word 2010 Auto Text
May 28, 2011

I had entered MANY auto text entries a couple months ago and now they are all gone.  Is there a way to search for them or recover them?  This is a laptap that is new to me, as is word 2010, but I did manage to figure out how to enter all these auto texts, and now they're just gone.  I know that they did save initially because I used them, but now haven't been on the laptop for quite some time and they are all gone.  Any ideas what happened? ...

Auto-correct As A Word Expander
Jun 09, 2011

I use auto-correct as a word expander.  It works well for my account and company.  I am looking to see if anyone knows of a place that I can go to and get more ideas of additional abbreviations.  I have created my own thus far, but there has to be some other ideas for other words and phrases.  I am also looking for how to backup auto-correct in case heaven forbid my computer goes down.  TIA :) ...

Word Auto Correct Question
Sep 24, 2011

Not sure if this is the right board to ask this question, if not please forgive.  I need to know if anyone out there knows in Word how to auto correct format (-year-old or -month-old).  I just can't remember how to do it, as it has been so long.  I would appreciate any help out there.  Thanks! ...

Auto Correct In Word 2003
Oct 15, 2011

Hi . Can anyone please tell me how to make an auto correct entry in Word 2003 for -year-old with a backspace? ...

Windows 7 Word And Auto Texts
Mar 02, 2012

I finally need to breakdown and get a new computer system.  I tried out my husband's Mac for transcription but it wasn't right for me.  Does anyone know if Windows 7 Word has the auto text feature?  I can't function without it.  Thank you so much! Gio ...

Auto Correct In Word 2010 - From Below Post
Feb 12, 2011

I copied and pasted my auto correct from Word 2002 from my desktop onto my laptop Word 2010.  I can see the file there but when I open auto correct, only some, very few, of the entries are there.  I have three auto correct files on my desktop and tried copying/pasting all of them into my laptop, but still only some of the entries are on my laptop.  What am I doing wrong or is there something I have to do on my laptop to activate all .acl files?  Thanks. ...

Converting Shorthand To Word Auto Text
Sep 14, 2011

Please Help! Anyone know how to convert shorthand dictionary into auto text in word 2007? ...

Pick A Report Number Any Number
Apr 29, 2015

doesn't matter to you, the MT will fix it. So what it takes MY time, so what it throws me off when I'm half way through the report and realize I may have it wrong and have to leave the screen, relisten to the beginning of the dictation, and change it..What do you care doc? you make a crap ton more money than I do, so obviously your time is more important.. ...

Was The Search Feature Taken Away??? Sm
Jan 22, 2011

So, when we went to UltiPro did they take away the Search feature for looking up old reports, patients, etc?   I tried this morning and it went straight to statistics?   I get so stinking mad when they keep changing things.  I guess they don't care about FTR any longer?  I used the Search a lot... ...

Anyone Use The Ctrl-G Feature On Doc 7?
Apr 16, 2012

Just curious if anyone is using it.  It is supposed to save us keystrokes (like they really care) but I turned it off after the first 2 lines of my first ASR report.  I was wasting more time than usual trying to attach and reattach and didn't see a benefit.  I would love to hear if someone has found it beneficial.  Otherwise the new 7 is fine.  I love being able to change the font size and type to whatever mood strikes me for the day.  Same keystrokes to access ...

Suggestion On Numbering Feature?
Sep 07, 2010

Am I doing something wrong?  Are you supposed to edit the list before or after CTRL-Shift L.  I end up having to capitalize all the first letters after I hit enter and it just seems more time consuming.  Also, did anyone notice if you highlight text and hit space bar there is no skip marker- SHH!! ...

Search Feature Won't Work
Jun 09, 2015

Can someone tell me how to get into ultipro please..totally forgot and this site won't allow me to search anything ...

Moderator - Search Feature Missing?
Oct 12, 2009

Oh no, moderate please tell me the search function for the word help board will be returning...please, please, please.  ...

Is It Just Me Having Problems With The Shift/ctrl/M Feature?
Jan 18, 2010

The one where you can hit shift/ctrl/M or control M to take the cursor to the voice and the voice to the cursor.  It's a really handy feature but I find that about half the time (more recently!) it just does NOT work.  I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's something I'm somehow messing up to stop it from working?  TIA :) ...

Using The Prior Report Lookup Feature Is
Mar 15, 2010

I am amazed at the huge mistakes I am seeing in finished reports.  Who hyphenates left hip hemiarthroplasty?  (The report shows left-hip hemiarthroplasty). That's a minor example.... Worrisome. ...

What Is The Deal With The Search Feature On This Board???
Aug 16, 2010

Can someone please tell me HOW to do a search on this board? I can't figure it out...never had a problem before. ...

I DESPISE The New Physician Lookup Feature.
Sep 05, 2010

So let me get this straight: I want to put a physician's name in the report.  I hit CTRL + N and start typing the last name. Before, it was nice.  The search would happen automatically. NOW I have to tell it to search (even for mandatory ADT names when you hit enter to get to the physician lookup)?  Why?  That is another keystroke that is wasted, and add to that, it was nice before that if you hit the letter 's' it would scroll to all the docs with last name ...

Epic - Partial Dictation Feature
May 11, 2011

I have a client that will be implementing an Epic EMR.  Epic has indicated to them that the providers can dictate a "partial dictation" during a note they are entering.  Epic offers them the option to have the transcriptionist transcribe that note directly into Epic.  So far, I have only been able to find MTSOs and in-house MTs who use the partial dictation feature, but have kept their old software platform (i.e., eScription, Nuance, etc) and the provider dictates into that s ...

Noise Cancelling Feature Headphones
Sep 03, 2011

I need a good, relatively inexpensive headset that has a noise cancelling feature.  Any recommendations? ...

Escription Play Silence Feature
May 18, 2015

Is there supposed to be a red line through the speaker or not if you want to play the silences? They are telling me both ways at my job and personally I can't hear a difference whenever I test it. Thank you, Jan ...

To Do Auto Numbering In DQS,
Jan 20, 2010

I remember our CCM telling us a while back to do something like put the number sign at the beginning of each item and it would automatically convert to numbering when it uploads?  Does anyone know exactly what we're to put?  A number sign, period, and 2 spaces? ...

Please Help Me With Auto Correct....
Jan 22, 2010

It is suddenly not working. Is there some way it can get turned off?  Thanks. ...

DQS Auto Correct
Sep 24, 2010

How do you turn off auto correct in DQS. Starting a new job Monday and plan on using SH so do not want the Auto Correct.  Job not at MQ. Seems I've come full circle since working at home. Started out with a compahy bought by MQ, using DQS. Left and now back using it again 7-8 years later.  Not sure if that is good or bad. Thanks for the help. ...

Due For Number Four Chemo? Is Number Four Right Or Should It Be Number-4 Chemo? Also,
Aug 08, 2013

what's the rule for dates?  Should it be 05/25/2014 or May 25, 2014?  Thanks. ...

Google Auto-fill
Jun 03, 2010

My Google auto-fill has suddenly stopped working.  It's making me nuts.  Anyone know how to fix it? ...