A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Offshore - revisited - DM

Posted: Oct 28, 2009

Following is an older article but I feel it is worth circulating now.

Most people have no idea who has access to their medical records.
Though this article was written 6 years ago, it is an even more common
practice today in 2009 for hospitals, clinics and other health care
facilities to outsource their dictation/patient records to other
countries  - thereby not only making it impossible for
transcriptionists in the United States to continue to make a living
working in the US as a transcriptionist, but also continuing to bypass
any HIPPA regulations.

In the next several weeks I will explore any options available to gain
the support of other MTs/CMTs in a quest to seek that AHDI
(Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) stand behind
their promise to its members.  Not a simple task -  and this is but
the first step in reaching out and asking that you also take a small
part in this effort by circulatiing this article, making your family
and friends aware of the ongoing issues.  

OFFSHORE TRANSCRIPTION ARTICLE

A tough lesson on medical privacy
Pakistani transcriber threatens UCSF over back pay
David Lazarus
Wednesday, October 22, 2003
©2003 San Francisco Chronicle
URL: sfgate.com/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/22/MNGCO2FN8G1.DTL
"Your patient records are out in the open... so you better track that
person and make him pay my dues."
A woman in Pakistan doing cut-rate clerical work for UCSF Medical
Center threatened to post patients' confidential files on the Internet
unless she was paid more money.To show she was serious, the woman sent
UCSF an e-mail earlier this month with actual patients' records
attached.
The violation of medical privacy - apparently the first of its kind -
highlights the danger of "offshoring" work that involves sensitive
materials, an increasing trend among budget-conscious U.S. companies
and institutions.
U.S. laws maintain strict standards to protect patients' medical data.
But those laws are virtually unenforceable overseas, where much of the
labor- intensive transcribing of dictated medical notes to written
form is being exported.
"This was an egregious breach," said Tomi Ryba, chief operating
officer of UCSF Medical Center. "We took this very, very seriously."
She stressed that the renowned San Francisco facility is not alone in
facing the risk of patients' confidential information being used as
leverage by unscrupulous members of the increasingly global
health-care industry.
"This is an issue that affects the entire industry and the entire
nation," Ryba said.
Nearly all Bay Area hospitals contract with outside firms to handle at
least a portion of their voluminous medical-transcription workload.
Those firms in turn frequently subcontract with other companies.
In the case of the threat to release UCSF patient records online, a
chain of three different subcontractors was used. UCSF and its
original contractor, Sausalito's Transcription Stat, say they had no
knowledge that the work eventually would find its way abroad.
The Pakistani woman's threat was withdrawn only after she received
hundreds of dollars from another person indirectly caught up in the
extortion attempt.
The $20 billion medical-transcription business handles dictation from
doctors relating to all aspects of the health-care process, from
routine exams to surgical procedures. Patients' full medical histories
often are included in transcribed reports.
While it's impossible to know for sure how much of the work is heading
overseas, the American Association for Medical Transcription, an
industry group, estimates that about 10 percent of all U.S. medical
transcription is being done abroad.
For two decades, UCSF has outsourced a portion of its transcription
work to Transcription Stat. Kim Kaneko, the owner of the Sausalito
firm, said she maintains a network of 15 subcontractors throughout the
country to handle the "hundreds of files a day" received by her
office.
One of those subcontractors is a Florida woman named Sonya Newburn,
whom Kaneko said she'd been using steadily for about a year and a
half. Kaneko knew that Newburn herself used subcontractors but assumed
that was as far as it went.
What Kaneko said she didn't know is that one of Newburn's
transcribers, a Texas man named Tom Spires, had his own network of
subcontractors. One of these, apparently, was a Pakistani woman named
Lubna Baloch.
On Oct. 7, UCSF officials received an e-mail from Baloch, who
described herself as "a medical doctor by profession." She said Spires
owed her money and had cut off all communication. Baloch demanded that
UCSF find Spires and remedy the situation.
She wrote: "Your patient records are out in the open to be exposed, so
you better track that person and make him pay my dues or otherwise I
will expose all the voice files and patient records of UCSF Parnassus
and Mt. Zion campuses on the Internet."
Actual files containing dictation from UCSF doctors were attached to
the e- mail. The files reportedly involved two patients.
"I can't believe this happened," Kaneko said. "We've been working for
UC for 20 years, and nothing like this has ever happened before."
The files in question were quickly traced to Newburn, the Florida
woman, who typically handled about 30 UCSF files every day.
An emotional Newburn said in an interview that she's as much a victim
as Kaneko. "I feel violated," she said.
Nevertheless, she said she's taking responsibility for what happened,
even though she said she explicitly told Spires not to send any work
overseas. "What he did was despicable," Newburn said.
Spires could not be reached for comment. E-mail to his company,
Tutranscribe, was returned as undeliverable this week.
Newburn said she contacted Spires as soon as she learned about
Baloch's threat and obtained a number to reach the Pakistani
transcriber at her home in Karachi.
"I spoke with her," Newburn said. "She was very upset but said she
wouldn't have really released the files. So I said she had to take
back the threat."
Newburn agreed to pay a portion of the money Baloch claimed she was
owed - about $500 - and Baloch said she would tell UCSF that its files
were safe.
On Oct. 8, UCSF received a second e-mail from Baloch. "I verify that I
do not have any intent to distribute/release any patient health
information out and I have destroyed the said information," she wrote.
"I am retracting any statements made by me earlier."
The problem, however, will not go away so easily.
"We do not have any evidence that the person has destroyed the files,"
acknowledged UCSF's Ryba.
Moreover, how can UCSF or any other medical institution prevent
something like this from happening again? Should legislation be passed
barring U.S. medical data from going overseas?
"I don't know the answer to that," responded Amy Buckmaster, president
of the American Association for Medical Transcription. "We don't say
that outsourcing is a terrible thing. We say that it needs to be
disclosed."
UCSF has reached the same conclusion. Ryba said the medical center is
revising its contracts with transcription firms to require up-front
notice of all subcontracting.
At the same time, she accepts that with a growing percentage of
transcription work being exported abroad, there will always be a
chance that something like this could happen again.
"We'll have to live with this risk on a daily basis," Ryba said.
David Lazarus' column appears Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. He also
can be seen regularly on KTVU's "Mornings on 2." Send tips or feedback
to dlazarus@sfchronicle.com.
©2003 San Francisco Chronicle

I support you but (SM) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you will get any kind of satisfaction from AHDI. They let the fox in the hen house some years back and blended AAMT and the MTSO organization, which is to say the transcription company owners are calling the shots now at AHDI.

I think public opinion has more sway. I personally intend to send letters to the editor of all major newspapers on the East and West coasts advising the public at large that they have a good chance of having their confidential info sent overseas to be transcribed. They are all so upset at the thought of the US govt seeing their records, can you imagine what sending them to Third World countries will do to them? Get the public all up in arms, urge them to write their congressional reps and have a paragraph put in the Health Care Reform bill that medical records and dictation on all US patients stay in the US.

On the list - DM

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks SM, that is on my ever increasing list. My hope is to make as many individuals aware through the Internet as well - the Internet is a powerful tool. I have a follow up article to the first at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/03/28/MNGFS3080R264.DTL
Just incredible.

True. AHDI has recently been working to get US - transcription done in China, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
That country is even more unscrupulous than India.

Similar Messages:

Cesspool Revisited
Nov 10, 2009

Remember a few months ago when most of us were in the cesspool, getting dozens of reports from all over the country and all different specialities?  I've come to the conclusion that the whole cesspool thing was just a major scam to get us so upset and ifrantic that when they finally gave us some semi-stable accounts, we be so grateful that we wouldn't notice the how our income was dwindling.  Pretty slimy. ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

EndoCatch Bag Revisited...
Apr 18, 2010

I know that Stedman's has "Endocatch," but that's definitely incorrect because the manufacturer (Covidien) has it trademarked as "ENDO CATCH" (2 words and all caps). So in everyday transcription, would you type it as "ENDO CATCH" in order to be correct, or maybe "Endo Catch"? I don't think that either "Endocatch" (like Stedman's has it) or even "EndoCatch" would be correct, since the manufacturer clearly has the trademark name as two separate words. (And yes, I have a ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Offshore #???
Mar 31, 2011

I have a doc on the line dictating today and giving me an offshore # on an op report. Has anyone ever heard of this?  Are we supposed to include this in the report? ...

FYI...QA Is NOT Offshore
May 16, 2012

Someone is spreading LIES. QC and QA are both done onshore. I know because I work in QA. We audit both offshore and onshore MTs, not the other way around and our managers are onshore too. When Nuance bought Focus, they changed all that. This info is not a secret. Just ask HR. It seems the TLs need to be educated on this as well. ...

Offshore??
Jun 19, 2013

Does anyone know for sure that Nuance sends work offshore??  It makes a difference in some states where employees get laid off when places like Nuance comes in and "buys" their department.  Workers can be eligible for federal help if the work is sent offshore. ...

Offshore After Already Being QA'd There
May 15, 2014

my funny find today... the patient ate brief turkey s/b the patient ate beef jerky really, not funny anymore...sigh ...

Offshore Any Positives For US Mt's?
Oct 17, 2009

I've never posted and this is only the second visit.  I'm someone who was seriously considering MTec but has switched to planning for Andrews School.  I broke my arm - it is closer to healing though, and I am back on track to enroll.  I laid to rest thoughts of worry I had about Speech Recognition and now need to do the same with offshoring.  Are there any trends which point in a positive direction for us mt's - any reason for them to think they would be p ...

DoesTranstech Have Offshore MTs And That Is
Oct 25, 2009

/// ...

OFFSHORE QUESTION
Dec 13, 2009

I work for a company that swears that they do not offshore, and never will.  I actually trusted them on this.  I guess I'm a true fool. Anyway, I just found out that the account that I work on is shared by more than just the one MTSO, and at least one of those DOES offshore to India.  Therefore, it doesn't really matter what my MTSO is doing, I am working on an account that is shared with India.  How did I discover this?  Because I work on EditScript, and the ...

Encompass - Offshore?
Dec 14, 2009

Does Encompass offshore? ...

% Offshore Work
Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone know the actual percentage of Medquist work that is offshored and also the percentage of transcription work offshored in this country? ...

Offshore Rant
Jan 21, 2011

With workloads running low, wouldn't you think the companies would end offshore transcription and give the work to American MTs?  The only thing that keeps me from bringing this up to HR is that I genuinely like the company I work for and I like both my accounts.  There is just this one thorn in the side ...    ...

Companies That Do Not Offshore
Feb 05, 2011

This may have been asked and answered here before, but I am searching for transcription companies that absolutely, positively do not offshore any transcription work.  Does anyone know of such a transcription company?  I'm tired of helping MTSOs send my work overseas after a few months of working on an account.  They first start asking for MT input on identifying which speakers need help to be better VR speakers, and then the next thing you know, they're sending ...

Offshore Coding
Mar 11, 2011

Interesting info I think.  I found out recently that the coding team being built in India has pretty stringent requirements.  First of all, they will need to have a bachelor's degree in a life science field and then must have a CCS AHIMA certification.  Most of our US based coders don't have bachelor's degrees!  Sounds like they are quite serious about being successful at invading into the US coding market.  ...

Offshore Transcription
Oct 06, 2011

Does anyone know of companies that don't cheat us Americans and send work offshore? Tired of all this crap, as much as we need work. So much for loyalty. ...

Offshore Vent
Dec 10, 2011

I'm an MT here in the U.S. I once received an email from someone from India (how they got my email, I don't know) inquiring about working for me. I told them in no uncertain terms that even if I did own my own MT business, that I would never, EVER, hire any offshore people. All business I had would stay here in this country. This offshoring to unqualified (IMO) "transcriptionists" has got to stop. I heard on the news the other night where some industries are starting to bring the jobs ...

Looking For A Company That Does Not Offshore
Sep 16, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their knowledge of companies that do not offshore work?  I cannot deal with being with a company that does anymore. Thanks in advance! ...

Coding Sent Offshore
Nov 21, 2012

I tried posting before but not sure if it went through.  I have been considering coding, having been an MT for nearly 20 years, but do you think coding jobs are likely to be sent offshore like many MT jobs have been?  I would hate to study very hard and invest more money and time in a career that could go down the tubes like MT has, but would like more opportunity for growth and advancement.  ...

Now That We Know Work Is Going Offshore
Sep 06, 2013

being fired but made to stay on the job and train your replacement.  How demeaning!  They get to pick off the easy jobs and we are left with the c**p. ...

Outshourcing/offshore
Aug 07, 2014

I am new to the MT industry I have just graduated this year.  I have been trying to find this out but for some odd reason while companies do it there doesn't seem to be anyone who can give me an answer.  Why can companies send work over to say India and it's called outsourcing and there doesn't seem to be a problem, yet if I want to work outside my country I can't and I'm considered offshore?  Like really how does that work?  People from another ...

Fiesa Offshore Only
Mar 04, 2015

I have noticed in all the Fiesa reports/scores that NOT ONE is from an onshore QA. Every report has been checked by offshore QAs. Has anyone had an English first language QA? Just seems frustrating to have a ESL check an ESL report by a doctor from yet another language transcribed by an American transcriptionist. I have also noticed that if you get 100% one week, guaranteed the next week you get bottom scores the next. Balances out to the .08 per line between the weeks. ...

OFFSHORE INQUIRES FOR US BUSINESS
Nov 05, 2009

As the owner of a medical transcription company, I get 4-5 inquires a week to send our work to India, Phillipines, and now even South Africa (I believe the last one was).  My reply to them politely is "We do not send work out of the USA."  Hopefully if more companies do this, the work would stay in the US and save our jobs. ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...

Does ATSI Offshore To India? Sm
May 27, 2010

I have an interview with them.  I did some archiving to see if there's any info on this board about them.  Wondered if they offshored to India.  Their website doesn't say anything about it.  Their ad says US MTs only. Thanks! ...

Does Transcend Offshore Their Work?
Jun 04, 2010

I was told by local hospital that they switched from MedQuist to Transcend and that they believed Transcend did not offshore. The woman in charge of Medical Records Dept. said they wanted to keep dictation done in the US by US transcriptionists. I told her I would find out for sure and call her back with what I know. I searched archives and found some posts stating Transcend offshores at night and on weekends. Can anyone working with Transcend let me know for sure whether or not they definitely ...

Companies That -do Not- Offshore That Use EditScript?
Mar 06, 2011

This is, of course, not a technical help question, but my original post was deleted from the Company Board because I mentioned a "platform."  This post is also less likely to be seen here than there, but so be it. I'm looking for the names of any companies that use EditScript/eScription that DO NOT offshore and pay more than 3 cpl for editing.  Transtech has already been mentioned. Thanks for any help. ...

Transtech And Companies Who Say They Do Not Offshore.
Jun 01, 2011

Noticed that all we have are foreign dictators and the difficult dictations.  A lot of the hospitals use 2 services and those that offshore are known to send OUT all the easy dictators because....the foreign countries cannot understand the difficult dictators either...not even if the doctor is from their own country.  They have to send them easy  work so it does not look AS bad when it comes back and the doctors don't complain too much, or then do not want their wor ...

Yet Another Reason It's Unwise To Offshore
Jul 13, 2011

Look at what just happened in Mumbai today.  Three terrorist bombs in the busiest business sectors, killing 20 people and injuring scores of others.   Something that seems to happen from time to time, currently being blamed on their rival, Pakistan.  (Another favorite U.S. offshoring destination).  Those blasts could have just as easily hit one of our MTSOs' main offices, servers, IT techs, QA, etc. over there.  There just isn't the same level of security ...