A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting conversation I had with an Indian MT - Facebook Member

Posted: Nov 05, 2009

I received a request to chat on my FB account today.  The person on the other end was an MT in India and he was essentially requesting American MTs to subcontract to him, let him do the work and pay him because (paraphrased) "even if the client doesn't wish the work offshored, there are many ways around this and no one would be the wiser."

Anyone else had an encounter such as this?  I did find out he makes about $700/month working 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. 

Has anyone else been randomly solicited to subcontract their work to India apparently "under the table"?

While I realize these individuals are simply trying to make a living as we all are, the conversation left me wondering if any MTs are snapping up such offers to make a few extra bucks. 

sounds like a plan... Snap up all the Indian MTs and we get rich, - leaving the MTSOs poor. I Love It!

[ In Reply To ..]
Sign me up.

Is this legal? It's sure immoral.... - off

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't this equal 'sleeping with the enemy?'
Selling out to the enemy (competitor?)

I could never do this.
Are you follwing the footsteps of the MTSOs who offshore and leave us US MTs unemployed and we blame for this?

Indian - the

[ In Reply To ..]
How would you handle the corrections? Would his work be sent to you for editing, leaving him completely in the dark toward the MTSO?
You would pay him part of your cpl rate?

I do not know if this is a good idea. You sure will have to make a LOT of editing and corrections.
Isn't it better to do it all yourself?

But, maybe I misunderstood the whole thing.

I have actually seen ads on other sites for this. - Happy MTer

[ In Reply To ..]
Almost begging for American MTs to "help" them and earn "big" money while they do. I wondered if it was not a scam.

Who is supposed to earn big money? It's a scam...nm - sc

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You guys crack me up - See message - Facebook Member

[ In Reply To ..]
NOWHERE in my post did I say I would EVER subcontract to this guy. I found the random solicitation interesting, and I also found it interesting talking to an Indian transcriptionist to see how they handle transcription over there.

Yet somehow, as usual, a couple of posters TOTALLY misinterpret a post and let their imaginations run wild.

I was just curious if anyone else had such an encounter and was wondering if some of the sleazier MTSOs out there were taking these people up on their offer.

Thanks for the totally inappropriate responses, though. Some of you need to take reading comprehension classes or step away from the computer because it must be affecting your brain's ability to process.

Thanks for the replies from the posters who actually COMPREHENDED my post and replied, though!

facebook - mtm

[ In Reply To ..]
You crack me up! Disappointed by our replies?

Your post was openly implying that you have the intention to subcontract and wanted our opinion and were hoping for an encouragement.
Why else would you post this on the board.

'You found the random solicitation interesting?' Was it really random? From where was this Indian MT calling?
Delhi, Mumbai, Kalkuta...?

I think we understood quite well and our reading comprehension was too good, because we were even reading between your lines and understood what you really meant.

I didn't read anywhere in her post, between the lines or not, - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
where she made any mention of actually subcontracting with this dude. And she didn't say he CALLED her...he contacted her via Facebook. I'm sure her FB page mentions she is an MT.

I remember a long while back, when I first started in MT about 10 years ago, I forgot exactly how, but a person in India contacted me with the same type of spiel. At the time, I hadn't even HEARD of offshoring. All I thought was it was some guy trying to make a living and wanting to know about transcription. I thought I was just helping someone out. But then he would start asking if he could do some of my work. I had no idea what he really meant, and I remember I asked him why he didn't just apply to a company over there. Little did I know..
encounter - mtm
[ In Reply To ..]
I did not expect such an insulting reply from her/him, that's all.

actually, no, you didn't comprehend it correctly - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
Facebook was relating a situation and expressing and asking a simple question: "Did this happen to anyone else?" No more and no less.

What I found interesting was their adding the statement about the Indian's attitude. It's very scary.

And with the way the MT line rate has been reduced over the last 30 years, coupled with the extreme difficulty of getting jobs with American-based companies (lots of messages in that regard), I wonder how many MTs would be willing to subcontract to Indian companies.

Believe me, your principles will fly right out the window in the face of being homeless and hungry.

OMG - encounter
[ In Reply To ..]
what about the safety of the patients' information in these records? Does it also go 'under the table?' I bet it does, 100%!
I can guarantee you that I would never, ever do this.
this is criminal working 'under the table.' This is a very justified reason to get fired immediately.'
How can you even encourage and advocate this attitude.
I am flabbergasted.
Wow, it really gets scary, is all I can say to this.
Safety of patient info - Snow Bunny
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you truly believe that only "Indian criminals" are releasing private information to the public? --- News flash. It happens in this country, too: "Michael Jackson's autopsy indicates he was missing his nose."

Seriously ... let's suppose MT "Mary Smith" was working in a hospital and just transcribed the abortion of her best friend's daughter ... and her best friend was vehemently opposed to abortion. Can you say with TOTAL CONVICTION that you Mary would never, ever tell her best friend about this?
Datamining is a multibillion dollar business - mte
[ In Reply To ..]
Ever see those "paid programming" TV spots in the wee hours of the morning? The ones that say they will ship whatever it is to you for free? They do this because your personal information is so valuable that they can afford to send you a little widget in return for your valuable information. And medical data is high on the list. Then they sell that info to the highest bidder who then sells it to another high bidder and so forth.

to facebook mtm - no meds here!

[ In Reply To ..]
have you heard of Zyprexa or maybe Haldol? she was absolutely saying NOTHING REMOTELY close to what you've posted, seriously! yes, perception is a bit off I'd say! those meds might actually help ;)

Your offensive post and your original post should be reported to the moderator!..nm - hypocrite

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

There is nothing "offensive" whatsoever in either post. - XYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
oops! Correction! Please disregard! I mistakenly - thought you meant the OP. My bad! :(
[ In Reply To ..]

Making something out of nothing - On your side

[ In Reply To ..]
Just wanted to let you know that it did not seem to me like you actually planned to do this. Just sort of shocked (like I would be) that this guy actually contacted you.

this was a good post. I enjoyed reading some of the misunderstandings, sm - fg

[ In Reply To ..]
no, I have not been solicited and this is actually the first time I have ever heard of this. I'm sure if there is a way to make an easy buck, there will be someone out there trying to figure out a way to get involved in this scheme (they're called criminals).

Approached by Indian MT - shocked

[ In Reply To ..]
I have just had this happen to me this past week. Only today did the person finally get around to what he really wanted from me. Just randomly private messaged me on an MT forum, becuase I had been posting indicating that I was looking for a job. I wondered what they were really up to, and now I know! I can't believe this is becoming a common occurance! Or, maybe I can.

I had one email me thru this site; I just told her - to please limit her contacts to India

[ In Reply To ..]

the big UCSF scandal in 2004 involved exactly this - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
UCSF outsourced to a compnay which outsources to a US MT in Florida who supposedly then outsourced to an MT in Texas but in reality offshored to an MT in India. When she didn't pay the MT in India, the Indian MT contacted UCSF and threatened to post confidential records on the web. Big mess. I wish more people remembered this.

Similar Messages:

More On The Conversation Below
Nov 11, 2011

Regarding the conversation below about the end of the transcription profession, a while back MQ put a poll on MQ Central regarding professional development, goals and objectives, etc.  I wonder why they would bother with this if they believe we will be replaced by the new technology (EHR).  Also, their "most improved MT" contests. I feel like we are getting mixed messages.  ...

Conversation Below About PF And Other
Oct 31, 2013

This is exactly what we need to do. We need to help each other find a better job. While PF may not be the right fit for me, it might be perfect for someone else. If MModal, Nuance and others like them lose enough of their good MTs, they will have no choice but to pay us fairly and make working for them more appealing. We are extremely talented people and our job is very intense. We deserve a lot more than we are getting. I am happy to make half of what I made just a few years ago. It's time ...

I Am LOVING All This Conversation!!!!
May 12, 2012

All this conversation from people who realize what is and has been happening to their careers as medical transcriptionists is fantastic.  Now, let's see some more action.  Contact the attorneys that filed the Transcend suit, let's get other companies involved here.  That's the only way we're going to send a big message.  Just think, before the cut in pay with editing came about, we really didn't see too much problem with making the money that we neede ...

Annoyed...but Not A Big Deal, Just A Conversation Starter
Nov 17, 2010

Anybody else get annoyed at docs who put every job they dictate in as a priority?  I mean, everything they dictate, from a 2-month-old death summary to a 3-week-old T&A.   I really hate the ones that are so old that the billing numbers have been erased from system.  I'm guessing they were threatened with their license being pulled to get their work caught up.  That's more important than H&Ps that need to be transferred with a dying patient right??  ...

I Really Have Enjoyed The 'Language' Conversation Today
Dec 28, 2011

I don't think anyone changed anybody else's mind on anything, but it was a good conversation, and a friendly one. I enjoyed it. It made me think. Everybody had some good points. ...

Multi-party Conversation Account
Dec 22, 2012

Does anyone know what it is or work on a multi-party conversation account? I am not exactly sure what it is and saw a job posting for "multi-party conversation verbatim account." Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Serioulsy A 5 Minute Phone Conversation
Dec 15, 2013

I didn't get paid a dime for that crap ...

I Found It Very Difficult To Have A S/l Coliant, Aquilant Conversation
Jan 28, 2011

. ...

Pay For The Indian MTs
Dec 01, 2011

There was a question about MTs pay in India. It is generally dependent on the line count and quality. Direct upload MT transcribing 800 lines per day - Rs. 1.2 (nearly 3 cents)  - 22 working days - Rs. 21,120 (around $600  per month) - greater than 98% accuracy (supposed to be) Only professionals like engineers, doctors, some software guys, etc. get more salary than this. Things are a little different in CBay (Medquist) India.  Irrespective of experience, the MT ...

Indian Vs US QA On ASR
Feb 05, 2012

I just saw a post from last month wondering about what the accuracy level is that Indian MTs have to maintain. On Editscript, expected accuracy is 99% and tolerated accuracy is 98.5%. If your job is marked by QA  as below 98% accuracy, you do not get paid for that job.  Critical/grave/major/minor errors are all assessed per job and factor into accuracy calculations. If you have more than 5 major errors per 2000 lines, you lose the right to work on an account.  Most Indian MTs prod ...

Indian MTs
Jul 03, 2012

Would someone please explain to me exactly why there are so many people in India that can to American transcription? How in the heck are they so proficient in the English language? Heck, 99% of Indian doctors I get couldn't speak a grammatically correct sentence if their life depended on it. I'm not kidding, I would really like to know. ...

Indian QCs
Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have problems with Indian QCs (scores are good with US QCs), such as thinking that they may be deliberately marking errors where none existed originally?  I've tried to copy my reports to check against them when I get Indian QC feedback, but the platform won't allow it.  How does anyone else handle this?? TIA ...

MMEs On Indian MTs
May 04, 2010

Are any other MMEs out there coming across Indian MTs who conveniently leave out portions of dictation, because they don't understand it?  I'm finding words or phrases left out that are completely clear, but a lot of the time is American slang.  Other times, it seems that they make up phrases to fit dictation they don't understand.  Anyone else? ...

Acusis - US Or Indian ?
Aug 03, 2011

Is this company Indian owned or a US company? ...

Has Anyone Actually Seen Indian Work? Is It Really That Bad? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

In the past, it was stated by editors that the work was exceptionally good, except for some terms used more commonly in the US.  I suppose they have more problems on the consults, which is why I've been receiving 15 minute typed consults lately, but at least I have work.  Can anyone objectively state quality of Indian MTs work?  How many here have actually seen the work they produce?        ...

Just A Note On The Indian MTs
Jul 04, 2012

Have been working for a couple of months for a local clinic and there are 2 large hospitals in our area --- one uses in-house transcriptionists and one uses an MTSO.  I can tell without a doubt which reports come from which hospital.  The ones from the in-house MTs look like a user-friendly, readable report, and the MTs initials are readily available at the end of the report.  The quality is exceptional.  I know most of those MTs personally and they all have more than 10 year ...

Indian Accents
Oct 22, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with transcribing Indian accents?  Are there any special settings on Express Scribe that might help?  Thanks!  ...

Indian MT Pay Scale
Mar 27, 2013

As best I can calculate, the Indian MTs are started at about $40/week. This is not an error. I looked at both the application from Nuance (which can be found by googling) as well as the exchange rate. So when you see all the "extras" they are offered, try not to be jealous; they can't buy groceries with those extras. Apparently they are as dissatisfied with the management of the MTSOs as are we Americans. The question seems to be how many will continue to work for such low salaries and ...

Why Can't The Indian MTs Do These Crappy- Sm
Oct 04, 2013

Indian dictators and give me some jobs I can understand that don't have to go to QA!!!! ...

Predictions For MQ After Indian E-mail
Apr 01, 2011

Predictions, next 2 years for MQ: 1.  Another re-structuring.  Most CCMs will lose their jobs, to include middle management. 2.  All old accounts will stay in U.S. unless directed by hospital to go to India (like what happened to my old accounts), but here is the catch:  India management will push for them to go to India! 3.  All easy work will go to India - no exceptions. 4.  All new accounts will go directly to India and only special docs that the Indian ...

Indian Holiday This Weekend
Sep 29, 2011

The only reason there is an incentive running and there is extra work is because the Indian government gives their employees a week off for the holiday and we are expected I mean supposed to be motivated by the incentive to work it for them.  Google the Indian holidays for 2011 and you will see when our next incentive weekend will be- end of October.  Good luck to anyone working, you are welcome to the work I won't be doing. ...

Do Indian MTs Work Weekends?
Nov 19, 2011

My dictations seem a lot easier today on Saturday with a lot of good dictators versus all of the horrible dictators during the week and I was wondering if this could be due to the Indian MTs not working weekends, or maybe it is just my good luck today! ...

Comparision Of SR Rates Of US And INDIAN MTs
Jun 08, 2012

Simple comparison of SR rates of US and INDIAN MTs (M*MODAL) INDIAN RATES... 0.01492646 U.S. dollars = 0.82 Indian rupees Source:  Google. ...

Email/resume From Indian MT...LOL!
Sep 13, 2012

No, I do not hire or send overseas ANY OF MY WORK, but I just received another resume from an Indian MT with her resume and quoting 9 cpl, which is ridiculous. The way I have been seeing it, with their inflated economy and greed, they will cost just as much as we do in the US and ace right out of the playing field... Why would I want to hire an Indian MT for that price? I would not want to send my work over there no matter what price and would rather go out of business then give them even 1 repo ...

Indian Dictators Are Very Frustrating
Oct 03, 2012

Just wondering why there are so many Indian-born dictators here (with thick accents).  Most of the time, I can't understand half of what they're saying... very frustrating.  It's just one long blur.  :p ...

Sad, But I Have Had Good Experience With The Indian
Dec 09, 2012

Sorry - this was supposed to go down below in the Indian tech thread...   One spent almost an hour fixing my problem and wouldn't give up until he did. I told my husband an American tech would've gotten rid of me after about 15 minutes and blamed it on my ISP.  And these techs were very polite, whereas some of the American techs were very snotty and condescending. As I said, I feel disloyal to the American techs, but both of my OS techs were very helpful. And had no languag ...

Being Owned By An Indian Company
Mar 17, 2013

After reading about that poor Swiss woman who was vacationing in India with her husband and being gang raped by 8 men, does anyone else's skin crawl just knowing we work for a company owned by India and their total disregard for women ?? ...

It's Very Sad, But This Is Basically Just An Indian Company
Apr 04, 2013

When you look on FB and look up MModal, the only people who like are Indians, and the only pictures they have are of Indians.  So what does that tell you?  I definitely am leaving this field and am in a court reporting program, but I still have probably another year or maybe a little longer to complete and was just hoping to hold on to this job to make a little bit of money, but that's probably not going to be possible.  Very sad.  Thanks everyone for your tips about the ...

Just Had An Indian IT Support Degrade Me After
Apr 11, 2013

I cannot wait when I am finished with college. Anyway, I cannot get in to work.  IT tells me what to do and  tells me how I can change my password anytime.  WHICH BY THE WAY I CAN'T!!!!!  BECAUSE IT FRICKEN BLOCKS ME!!!!! Then he yells at me and cuts me down when I went back in to see if I could change my password and indian IT yells at me and states in his UGLY TONE (WHY ARE YOU GOING IN TO THE PASSWORD WHEN I, I, I, "ALREADY" CHANGED IT!) Guess what?? I wanted to go ...

I Did Some Research And It Looks Like The Indian MT's Make
Sep 06, 2013

about $3.00 an hour!!  That's working for Nuance.  ...