A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just the Facts - NTSQC

Posted: Aug 09, 2013

To introduce myself, I am a QC with NTS for 3 years.  I have never posted on the boards, but I have been reading some posts lately and would like to clear up some misconceptions regarding the QC position.  My goal is simply to inform you of facts -- not to "defend" or give my opinion.

1.  QC versus QA.  I am a QC, meaning I proofread jobs that have not yet been sent to the  client.  A QA proofreads jobs after they have been sent to the client.  Jobs done by a QC will show in Fiesa as Q1 review while jobs proofed by QA will show as Post Audit.  

2.  Scoring.  NTS gives the QC/QA guidelines for scoring.  We have NO input into these and are only to score them appropriately.  We do not see your final scores -- we only mark the errors we find in a report.  The system in the background automatically computes scores.  My goal is only to produce the best possible document for the client without regard at all to whose report I am scoring.  

Approximately a month ago, the QA department had conference calls with the QCs to review all the scoring guidelines in an effort to get some consistency in scoring and give us guidelines on "gray" areas.  We were also given a list of items NOT TO SCORE -- in other words, "comment" or no points deducted.  Punctuation that has no impact on meaning is one of those items -- example would be a semicolon before "however".  Also if what is written means the exact same thing, we are not to score for that.  If you get jobs that have those items marked, you can and SHOULD appeal those jobs.

3.  MT bonuses.  The scores that you get from a QC labeled Q1 review in Fiesa DO NOT in any way figures into your bonuses.  The ONLY quality scores taken into account for bonuses are the Post Audit or QA scores.  

4.  QC bonuses.  As of this date, QC is NOT receiving bonuses as of yet.  Yes, it is in the works, but the talk of errors increasing because of QC bonuses is not accurate -- there is NO BONUS.  We have not even been given the details of how bonuses will be calculated.

5.  Fiesa.  Fiesa can be a "curse" but it can also be a help.  As a QC, I also am scored in my work, sometimes by other QCs and also by QA.  I hate getting those Fiesa error messages as much as you do.  However, I ALWAYS appeal jobs for reversal if I disagree with the scoring and nearly always get them reversed when I do.  

As a QC, I and many others use Fiesa as a helping tool in the comment section by giving "hints" and explanations that may help the MT in her research or hearing blanks, etc.  By the way, we do NOT listen to a different audio -- we hear the same audio you hear.  Please take time to look at the comments -- Yes, I know you don't get paid for that extra time, but it may save errors down the road when Post Audit reviews your reports.

This is good news - Thanks for the info

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Thank you for your time. nm - Me again

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Just the facts - YD

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this information. It is good to have clarification. Appreciate your input.

Just The Facts - TexasMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank You for this post. I am QC as well. It is disheartening to read all the posts on this board. I received some feedback on my own QC work today. After a minute of my "pity party" I decided to put my big girl panties on, consider the feedback as a learning tool, and got back at it. We are all in the same boat... just trying to put out a good report.... bonus or not... I don't care... I just want to do a good job!!!

Your audio is the same, but QA audio is different. - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It's nice for you that you aren't ignored by your TL - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to send mine in all the time back when I had a good TL (who left, either the company entirely or is still there but not a TL, I have no idea). She was a good TL and the ONLY thing keeping me there. When the new one came, every single request for reversal was denied. I was a very high producer and, therefore, had scads of reversal requests (because, let's face it, QA staff, the post audit staff, not you, make ridiculous errors more often than not). I admit, there were scads of reversal requests, and I only requested reversal on the post audits, never anything else. I was completely ignored. So, while I think your post was helpful to some, to others with TLs who ignore the requests, what choice do they have but to quit? There's not much good to say about a company like this.

Fiesa Reversals - NTSQC

[ In Reply To ..]
While I do get my reversals in, like you, it has not been easy. Yes, I have had reversal requests ignored. What do you do then? Be persistent, and submit them again. TLs get very busy, too, and I think the reversals fall to the bottom of their to-do list. Yes, I have been frustrated by it as well. I understand your problem. I guess I am just stubborn enough to persist until they answer me.

Good answer!! You have to stick up for yourself. - No one else will NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Thank you for taking the time to explain....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was first "introduced" to FIESA, I didn't understand that QA post audit and QC1 review were 2 different entities. I thought it was all the same, until someone here explained the difference and how I could see my "post-audit" score to determine bonus eligibility. Post-audit QA has crushed any chance I might have of getting even the incentive bonus, and they have raised my blood pressure every single time I have checked. However, once I got over my initial shock and dismay at the ridiculous nature of some of the "corrections" (and I use that term lightly) in post audits, I decided that if I even had an inkling of a feeling that something had been added to my report erroneously or if I had been deducted for ANYTHING that just did not make sense to me, I was going to question it and dispute it for reversal, regardless of the outcome. After I have disputed whatever ridiculous "error" post-audit QA has decided to give me a deduction for, I simply click the close button for that screen and forget about it.

As for QC1 review, I absolutely agree with you that it can and should be used as a helping tool for the MLS. It is pretty much the ONLY reason I go into FIESA...to get feedback and/or help with whatever I sent a report to QC for.

I have found a few instances where QC1 review was incorrect when scoring something according to account specifics and/or punctuation, etc., and I have sought correction reversal for those few instances without hesitation. Those instances have been so few and so far between that I haven't thought it was being done in order for the QC person to gain anything from it. I just figured we are all human and we all make mistakes, even those who work in QC.

However, I still have a HUGE problem with post-audit QA and the fact that I am being audited by offshore QA. I believe that my distaste and distrust is well placed and the difference in my post-audit scores (and what was corrected or changed) and my QC1 review scores says it all. I would much prefer to be audited by U.S. QA personnel simply because it's obvious they are more experienced than those offshore and (in my case) better educated.

Those may be the "facts" but they are not how - QC practices the "facts"

[ In Reply To ..]
I have indeed lost points for using a comma instead of a semi-colon (when in fact the comma was correct) and it WAS NOT reversed.

You can make a big long post and pretend that QC is not on some kind of power trip but my loaded down and mostly subjective garbage filled FIESA proves you very, very wrong.

Similar Messages:

Employee Or IC - The Facts From The Gov't
Jun 22, 2011

Many employers try to save money on taxes and escape liability under employment laws by getting employees to sign Independent Contractor Agreements. There are some advantages to being an independent contractor, but most people labeled as contractors are really employees. Here are the top 11 things you need to know before (or even after) you sign an Independent Contractor Agreement:   1. Intellectual property. If you are creating art, written work, computer programs or other creative w ...

Interesting Facts
Jun 12, 2012

I think it's really something that the local colleges around me are not teaching their medical transcription programs anymore after 20+ years.  What does that tell everybody??? ...

Interesting Facts About Capitation, Which In My State Started In The 90s
Aug 16, 2012

Basically, it is when hospitals and the healthcare system became a 'business' (or shifting of business risk = MORE PROFIT) and no longer as they were originally intended, to help the poor (http://www.naph.org/Homepage-Sections/Explore/History.aspx), or Hospital: It may seem unnecessary to define a "hospital" since everyone knows the nature of a hospital. A hospital began as a charitable institution for the needy, aged, infirm, or young. >'The word "hospital" comes from ...