A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Finally got out, stress level GONE - me

Posted: Sep 22, 2014

I finally got to the point I hated time for work.  I went through 2 buyouts and it just seemed to get worse.  I have watched QA people busted down due to not getting enough lines per hour, which is impossible when there's not enough work, and when most of the acute care work was 100% listens.  I got ONE raise in 7 years yet the duties kept piling on and found out some were making 4.00 an hour more than me in lower positions. On days off you were expected to join meetings no matter what you were doing.  Off time is supposed to be my time, not theirs.  When I gave notice due to medical issues and not being able to navigate 4 computers from a chair, I was told I could not work notice, I was gone that day.  I didn't know until I came online to work and nobody would answer me.  Not ONE of the managers or the COM said a word, good luck or anything else.  I never used PTO or sick time and had to fight to get my PTO.  I was the only one on my team who had to work split shifts, which played havoc with meds. I felt really bad for the radiology MTs who were paid by the report, no matter how many they strung together.  Fiesa is a joke.  The QA staff had to fill it out for every report, it's not counted as lines for them, and yet another way to limit the lines they were credited for.  People struggled to get their transcribed lines in both acute care and radiology, yet when you looked at the reports in the system, the offshores would have hundreds of reports to do.  The former companies seemed like they actually valued people, with this one you only matter when you are there.  I know there have to be good companies out there, but with this one gobbling up all the smaller companies, they can pretty much do as they please.  People are paid pennies, yet the CEO makes millions a year.  This is an incredibly important and skilled job, yet we were all in the shadows so nobody knew what we actually do.  It's pretty bad when a medical records clerk in house makes more than we do.  I wanted out for about the last year and gave notice once and was talked out of it, but finally enough is enough.

Good luck to you. I recently moved from QA back - to MLS for much of the reasons you

[ In Reply To ..]
state. It's not worth the stress anymore to make the required QA production and constantly being yelled at to do more when there is no work available. I went to MLS PT and started back to school this September. This has helped my stress a little bit while still allowing me to gather a few pennies. I'm a single parent, so I couldn't just up and quit although that would have been the ideal way for me to go. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. The way they treated you (not even a good-bye or thanks) unfortunately is no big surprise. We're all just a number here and as long as that CEO makes his millions and the COMs receive their bonuses, that's all that matters in the end.

Didn't know - Samantha

[ In Reply To ..]
I had know idea it was the same for the QAs as well as the transcriptionist! I wish you well!

some great QA - newbutold

[ In Reply To ..]
There are some really good QA who leave constructive comments and really help and then there are those who feel like it is their mission to make me feel like an idiot. What we do is not easy and with the pressure we have on us, it makes it even harder!!! i do my best but I do make mistakes at times
I am QA newbutold and ya know what? We ALL - make mistakes and you really
[ In Reply To ..]
shouldn't beat yourself up over it. I agree, there are some QA people who just really seem to take delight in belittling others. I choose to give constructive feedback and I always ask myself - How would I feel receiving this feedback. We're all in this together and face the same daily challenges as far as work, pay, etc. You've got the right attitude, do the best you can!! Afer all, we're not machines and mistakes are going to be made. At the current pay rates, they're nuts to think otherwise.
Thanks - newbutold
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the encouraging words. Everybody is quick to bash QA and there are some that deserve to be bashed but there are also some MT's that have given up and just don't try. There are days that I certainly don't feel like it but I always try and fill in every blank that I can. The QA people that tell me good job or point out my mistake without things like "I clearly heard ----" Well, if I had clearly heard that I would have typed it obviously. Those are the comments that really get to you. I appreciate what you do and thank you. We are in this together.
heard it clearly - Diane
[ In Reply To ..]

I also had someone say that exact same thing to me "I clearly heard". When I listen over and over before leaving a blank, it bugs you.
mistakes - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely. Those of us who have been in this business many years try to be constructive and not make people feel like idiots - I remember when I was in that position and a bad QA could ruin your entire day. It tends to be the newer people who try to be a hard*** on people, it's like a power trip.

same - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh yes, the stress is enormous and you have to make so many lines per hour and as you know, the work isn't there. With doing mostly 100% reviews and using Fiesa, there's no way. Even as a team lead it's extremely stressful. There are some who just sit through the shift, some go shopping (really), I knew one who slept through the overnight shift then did OT on days, and that left the other to do everything and the stress is horrible. You've got emails, phoning facilities, QA, helping out MLS, running reports, and all this for no more pay.

stress - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned years ago we're a number and nothing else matters. I had major surgery and was in the hospital for one week and the company I'd worked for told me it took to long to recover and my position had been outsourced. It's a real shame, such an important and skilled position but nobody knows about any of us so it doesn't matter.

amen - and whatever you do, see message

[ In Reply To ..]
don't develop a disability. Mine was work related, I did not want to pursue it, but ever since it was filed I was OOW until they finally got me to quit. With no self-esteem after 2 years with them, I felt hopeless. However, since quitting I have been offered every job I have applied for, rejected 4 offers, and have landed in a very good place.

work related - me

[ In Reply To ..]
A friend and I talked about this - who would think that sitting in a chair could cause so many problems. I developed carpal tunnel, one shoulder developed osteoarthritis and using the keyboard was incredibly painful, my legs hurts, my back, plus it ruins your eyes.

Similar Messages:

ESL And ?new Stress Type. S/l Notambaki Stress Test. Nm
Jul 14, 2014

x ...

Digoxin Level - Dig Level.. Capitalize The "D?"
Jan 22, 2013

When typing "Dig level," does the "D" need to be capitalized?  TIA! ...

Stress Test Help Please
Mar 24, 2010

He dictates:  Nuclear stress test using s/l rag-oh-DYE-noh-scan .... He not so helpfully spells it  "rageodescan" which is not correct and does not help at all in a search. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks. ...

Stress Test Help
Sep 12, 2011

After a Bruce protocol stress test says "It was an appropriate ______ response."  Kind of sounds like allotropic which doesn’t make sense to me. THANKS!!    ...

FIESA = STRESS
Apr 10, 2013

I don't know how much longer I can take FIESA...I even hate that name. Nit picking on everything...does it ever get better? ...

No More Stress-woohoo
Jul 10, 2013

I quit my job due to health issues and my stress level has gone way down.  I worked for 8 years here and it was okay.  There were tough times, but it was mostly okay because my TSM/CCM left me alone but were accessible if needed.  They answered my emails and phone calls (even though there were about 5 or so different ones through the years).  It was just aggravating when good accounts would go to ASR.  But, I don't have to worry anymore.  Hope things get better ...

Stress Echo Protocol Help Please
Feb 11, 2010

Looking for a protocol for a stress echo that s/l MBA exilier?? Can't reference anything similar.  Thanks so much!! ...

Stress Test - METS
Mar 14, 2010

Would like anyone's opinion regarding how METS should be typed in reference to a stress test.  I have been typing it as METS for yrs and yrs, now on a newer account it was corrected to METs.  I've found it both ways when researching.  TIA for input.  ...

Cardiac Stress Test
May 04, 2010

I cannot understand what is being said at the end of this sentence as the doctor stumbles over the word and I don't have much experience when it come to stress test to be able to figure out which word this should be (under procedures).  "1. Cardiac stress test.  She had normal hemodynamic response to pharmocologic therapy. Clinically negative for ischemia, chest is negative for ischemia, (sensographically) negative for ischemia or infarct."  Also, should I make each ischemia ...

Cardiac - How To Type Nuc-med Stress?
Mar 31, 2011

Should it be nuc or nuke?  ...

ESL & Poor Dictator Stress
Feb 01, 2013

No more microscopic QA dissection for me. My new plan is to shoot the job full of blanks and send it in - far less stressful for sure. Each and every time I hear something that I am not 100% sure of - they get a blank. This is not now nor was it ever MY personal problem. Today I'm quite tired of being penalized for someone else's inability to dictate clear enough to perfectly discern what was said. No more cleaning up sentences either. QA: Verbatim you want? Verbatim you get. ...

S/l Lexi Myoview Stress Test??
Dec 27, 2009

It s/l Lexi Myoview stress test.  What is the Lexi?? ...

A Free While-You-Work Stress Buster
Jan 23, 2010

I've found a wonderful way to reduce stress while working long hours.  It reduces dramatically the times I've wanted to choke some of the bad dictators I seem to constantly get.  It's called ShoutCast and it's free internet radio.  You don't need to download anything if you have WinAmp on your PC.  It plays nonstop, no commercials, etc.  I keep the volume very low at 1 or 2 on the WinAmp player so it plays in the background through my headset and ...

Word Help For Stress Incontinence Patient
Sep 22, 2010

Hi, I have a repair of bladder incontinence using an Align sling. It sounds like he is saying "the s/l pool tube sucker was used for spacing." It could be pull-tip sucker or something like that, but I can't find anything that would help. ...

"I Am Uncertain As To Whether Or Not The S/l Stress Raisors
Jan 19, 2011

of the hardware may cause another fracture".  Thanks for any help!   ...

LF Function On A Stress Test?=Editing
May 07, 2013

What is "moderate LF function" on a nuclear stress test? I am editing a report. Thank you. ...

Are Stress Tests Considered Radiology?
Feb 03, 2015

x ...

Get Ready For Lots More Stress Now At Synernet
Mar 19, 2015

as they ramp up for summer. Having people off means we have to work harder and more OT because we've just been having such an easy time of it. Warnings and threatenings. All they know. Turn around times not being met? It's because we're so lazy. Hiring all the time? Still not enough staff; never enough staff. Cheery picking; never addressed. Rotten VR; never addressed. Never knowing what work, which doctors, or work types your're going to be doing anymore; never addressed. Co ...

Podiatry -- Treatment For Stress Fracture
May 29, 2015

PLAN: (s/l ally mats) with first ray cut-outs were given to the patient bilaterally.  Cannot find anything similar to ally mat thank you ...

Stress Test S/l Shield Heart Rate
Jan 25, 2011

Equivocal test by EKG at a ____________heart rate. --  s/l shield heart rate. ...

LEXISCAN CARDIOLITE Exercise Stress Question....
Sep 03, 2011

Under the heading Raw data, "Lung/heart ratio is within normal limits.  There was moderate s/l "gut" initial artifact seen.   He is an ESL doctor so I purely guessing on the "gut"......just sounds like a g or c, but could be anything!  Thanks..... ...

Level 2 Or Level II
Mar 09, 2011

Ok, Level 2 or Level II. I went back to the material from when I was going through school and is shows as Level 2, however, researching via Google comes up as Level II.  Which would be correct. ...

BUN Level
Aug 04, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of a BUN level as low as 3?  The creatinine is 1.1.  The patient is in the hospital for weakness and is not on dialysis. ...

Epidural Level?
Dec 15, 2009

is planning on a lumbar epidural steroid injection. I am not sure of the level he is planning on. If it is at 4 5 or 5 6, I think he has a good chance of relief of arm pain ...

Chloride Level
Jun 07, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a chloride level being as low as 13?  He clearly says this, but I've never heard of it that low. ...

Educational Level
Oct 28, 2010

"Clinically he is doing really good."  And we are the ones making minimum wage? ...

Entry Level Pay
Jun 10, 2011

Hi all, Just a quick question.  In all your years of experience, what would you think would be a fair starting pay (hourly please) at a smaller acute care hospital doing varied types of jobs?  I do a lot of typing for the actual hospital, the two clinics (one inside the hospital and our satellite clinic in another town) and physical therapy.   I do alot of transcription but I also have a lot of other medical records duties as well that I have to balance.  I do ...

Pain Level
Aug 30, 2011

is correct to transcribe pain level is 0/10 or zero out of ten? ...

Digoxin Level
Sep 30, 2011

He's referring to a Digoxin level and shortens it to say "s/l Dij level".  I realize that it's probably not spelled with the j, but if I write it Dig level, then it's like digging with that "g" sound....would you leave it "Dig level"? ...

How Do I Write This? PH Level
Oct 25, 2011

I now the pH scale, but I'm confused by what this doctor said.   "...her pH remained low at 717"   She said "Seven One Seven." She speaks clearly, so I'm confident she is saying this. No other pH levels are given in the report. ...