A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone use the mouse more than keyboard commands - in eScription?

Posted: Nov 24, 2014

I know we are pressured to use only the keyboard--I guess bc it may be faster...not sure about that...but I just can't get used to that.  I'm faster using the mouse, especially when navigating around a speech wreck report.  Anyone else like this? 

Do they really care how we get it done?  Has anyone ever gotten dinged by using the mouse too much instead of keyboard commands?  I am sure they can tell exactly what we do on the keyboard. 

Do not work for your company but I never - use the keyboard only, never

[ In Reply To ..]
I use the mouse now and have ever since I started VR over 6 or 7 years ago. My company has never forced me into anything else. I would be interesting in seeing if someone from your company required it. I do really good with my mouse alone.

you mean you have docs that are easy enough to not use a kb? amazing. nm. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No...in fact they are all mush-mouthed ESL - dictators.....

[ In Reply To ..]
I basically meant using the mouse to follow along with the dictation instead of using control + arrows and/or that stupid red box and Alt-K.

Mouse v keyboard - NTSQC

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I use the mouse for following along when I am doing QC and when I am working in MLS mode doing speech editing. I think each person has to find their own "best way" -- don't be intimidated into just doing it the way the company recommends. I break almost all the "rules" for editing they have given us and my production is very high. What matters is getting it done. Just find your own niche.

The real reason behind them pushing keyboard commands is this.... - In the know

[ In Reply To ..]
eScription loves their self-proclaimed "proficient eScriptionists" which is set by their own IT department deciding if you use the keyboard only you must be better at editing than using the mouse. They set their own criteria based for being "certified eScritpionist" to count only how many times you use keyboard commands. In reality clients really don't give a crap - they just want the job done. As for me, I use a mixture of mouse and keyboard and some things are quicker with the mouse and I've even participated in a discussion with the "higher powers" in IT at eScription about this in the past when they asked for feedback from MTs who were high producers why they weren't using the keyboard exclusively. As far as I'm concerned if I can produce the best the way I'm doing it and have proven to myself that keyboard exclusively slows me down then duh I'm going to do what makes me the most efficient of my time.

I used the mouse more. Keyboard commands - slowed me down big-time. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I use the keyboard more - than the mouse

[ In Reply To ..]
but I agree with everyone else, you should use what is most comfortable and productive for you. When I did start to try using the keyboard more I took the advice given and just started on one or two shortcuts a week.

Use your mouse if it works for you - beaglelady

[ In Reply To ..]
They've pressured me to stop using my mouse, too. They can kiss my grits. I edit over 500 lines per hour using my mouse, and I don't want to waste my time and money needlessly retraining myself to a totally new way of working and making mistakes with hitting the wrong keyboard shortcuts. Do whatever works for you!

Similar Messages:

Wireless Keyboard And Mouse?
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone else feel more comfortable with a wireless set up? What keyboard and mouse do you have? ...

Mouse Or Keyboard Functions
Mar 21, 2013

On Enterprise Voice Recognition, are you a "mouser" or keyboarder?  I have tried and tried to use the keyboard, but just can't get it down.  I have been using a mouse so long, it is a hard habit to break. Anyone have any ideas?  Need to bring my speed up on Voice. ...

Strange Happenings With Keyboard/mouse?
Dec 06, 2013

I know as long as I have done this type of work not me but unusual and wondering if any others noticed such. I can be working on VR and try to go and make a correction, be on the line where I want to enter something and yet when I do the correction will wind up 2 or 3 lines above. This drives me nuts! I don't know if mouse, keyboard but have used both for sometime now. Any suggestions? ...

Can We Use Our Personal Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse With MQs Computer?nm
Feb 20, 2011

nm ...

Laptop-foot Pedal And Keyboard/mouse Issues
May 01, 2015

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion laptop. I'm having issues with my foot pedal and keyboard/mouse. I connect my foot pedal directly to USB port on laptop. I connect keyboard/mouse and headphones to USB HUB port. I continually lose foot pedal control. When I disconnect the keyboard/mouse, the pedal works again. Could this be a memory or hard drive issue (not enough). Do I need to externally add something to this laptop (just bought the laptop 3 months ago). Any advice or assistance would be ap ...

Using Expander Commands In VR
Nov 16, 2009

I am working with VR and would love to know if anyone has any tips on using an expander for commands to use in VR to be more productive?  I am working in Chartnet with VR.  I also have Instant Text and I have Shorthand.  I am more familiar with Instant Text but am willing to switch to Shorthand if it will make more productive.  Thanks in advance ...

DICTAPHONE COMMANDS
Dec 18, 2012

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A WAY TO GO TO THE BEGINNING OF THE DICTATION IN A REPORT WITHOUT REWINDING WITH THE FOOT PEDAL.  IS THERE A "GO TO THE BEGINNING OF THE REPORT" NUMBER KEY YOU CAN PRESS?  THANKS! ...

Key Commands For Dictatphone Extext
Dec 07, 2009

Is there anyone out there who can give me a list, or where to find one, on the key commands used for Dictaphone Extext.  I can remember Alt Y for capitalization, Alt P for play...... need help on some others.  Thanks a bunch ...

Wave Keyboard Versus Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Apr 10, 2010

I was wondering if someone could tell me how using a wave keyboard compares to a split ergonomic keyboard.  Is the wave as comfortable to use?  TIA! ...

Chartnet VR And Instant Text Commands
Nov 10, 2009

I am working on VR on the Chartnet platform.  I am also using Instant Text.  Has anyone been able to use Instant Text to create VR command in Chartnet?    I have used them in Escription but for some reason they do not work in Chartnet.  I really need to get more lines with VR so I am hoping that someone can help me with this.  Thanks in advance for any tips.  ...

Anybody Use SH To Insert Dates? Need Help With Formatting Commands
Jul 10, 2013

I have a few SH entries to insert dates - for example, ydl inserts yesterday's date using the long format (July 9, 2013).  I have one little problem though and can't seem to figure it out.     When I use the "%e" parameter, I get "July  9, 2013" with the extra space between the month and the day.  Once the days roll over to double digits this is not a problem.  If I use "%d" then I get a leading zero.  I want to be able to insert the date with a sin ...

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro...need A New Keyboard, Any Recommendations?
Apr 03, 2010

Microsoft has discontinued these great keyboards and I need a new one.  Anybody aware of a split keyboard that has a really nice touch (remember those old IBM keyboards?) for transcription work by Microsoft or another brand that you really like? I'm open for suggestions please ; 0  My only complaint with this one is the keys are a bit clunky to press down (especially the space bar).  Thanks! ...

Transcription Pedal Sending Odd Commands To Microsoft Word
Jun 09, 2013

I am transcribing video interviews for a student's Doctoral dissertation. I have an Infinity foot pedal hooked up so that I can use it to play, fast-forward and rewind the video in Windows Media Player. I am transcribing the text in Microsoft Word. The foot pedal works fine with Windows Media Player but if I touch the foot pedal while I am in the Word document, I see all kinds of strange commands pop up in Word like "print" or "font". This slows down my transcription considerably. I ...

Hey Where's My Mouse Pad?
May 21, 2010

Anbody get there's yet?   Guess MT week is over, and still no present.  Oh well.  The Q really knows how to make you feel special.  .  ...

Trying To Use The Mouse Less
Feb 17, 2011

Got an e-mail suggesting I use my mouse less.  Does anyone know how to use keystrokes for spelling suggestions instead of the right click mouse?  I've become so paranoid that my production has plummeted over the last week...  ~ scaredy-mouse  ...

Are We Not Even Going To Get A Mug Or Mouse
May 20, 2014

pad for MT week?  I got a card from my supervisor ~ generic card ~ and she didn't even sign her name to it.   I at least want a coffee mug!!!! ...

Mouse Clicks?
Feb 17, 2011

Hi.  I've been reading postings about your mouse clicks being monitored.  What is that about?  Why would they do that?  What does that signify? ...

Wireless Mouse
Dec 01, 2011

I am just wondering if any of you are using a wireless mouse and how they are working for you?  I currently use a wired mouse and have for centuries.  Since I use mine more than most people, it seems, they do not last.  I am having difficulty finding wired mouse any longer due to being outdated.  I am hesitant in getting a wireless because wireless tends to slow me down with a second of lag.  Those seconds add up and I am just wondering how beneficial they are.  Any ...

New Computer, New Mouse, Tried Several USB
Nov 15, 2012

ports and the mouse will not scroll at all. What could be the cause. Using Vista. Never had this issue before. Thanks to all. ...

The Dreaded Mouse
Mar 15, 2014

Am I doing something wrong?  I notice with the 7.4 Fluency that there is no other choice but to use your mouse to travel up and down between patient visits.  The arrow key doesn't work, the tab key doesn't work.  Are they now pro mouse? ...

Mouse Wi A Mind Of Its Own
Mar 27, 2014

My mouse seems to have a mind of its own.  Keep skipping all over on me.  Is this a virus or the mouse?? ...

Mouse Clicks
Nov 12, 2014

My number of mouse clicks is over 500/hr.  I'm not doing anything unusual or different than I do every other day. System is wack. ...

Somebody Cares About My Mouse Clicks!
Feb 11, 2011

I just got my second DEP ASR Productivity Results.  If the person that has time to count mouse clicks, time spent away from keyboard, etc is reading this, then answer this, why don't you take into account time spent reading multiple client profiles, time spent reading sample reports to get information, etc?  Do you not expect us to leave our chairs occasionally?  I personally am more suited to using my mouse.  A lot of the shortcuts just didn't work as well for me.& ...

Got The Report On Mouse Clicks.
Feb 15, 2011

I guess I am truly stupid.  The numbers mean nothing to me.  On my report they are gauged against nothing -- just with a goal to "improve."  My lines were 197 per hour (which is incorrect and too high) and I guess my "corrected" number if I was worth my salt and editing properly is 297.  Most confusing document they have sent me thus far.  I would be angrier probably IF I COULD UNDERSTAND IT.  ...

Key Strokes Vs Mouse Clicks
Apr 12, 2011

I got an email giving all the figures of how many keystrokes I had during a certain period of time (can't remember when for sure) and inactive time in an ASR job, etc.  Do many of you only use the keyboard and not the mouse?  I've tried to learn all the keyboard functions and for me it's a lot easier to use the mouse and I don't think that has slowed me down any.  They're not telling me not to use the mouse but instead showing how many more keystrokes ...

Do You Find It Faster To Use The Mouse
Dec 04, 2011

I know the "push" is to use the shortcuts but it takes me twice as long to remove my hands from the keyboard to reach the arrow keys and alt+shift or ctrl+shift than to just click where I want to go with the mouse. I was just wondering if it's worth it to retrain myself to use those particular shortcuts. I tried creating my own but they will not work in our system.  The other ones we have are fine but the cursor ones stink. ...

Companies That Don't Nag You When You Use Mouse On V.R. Reports
Mar 28, 2014

I'm looking for a company that leaves you alone if you choose to use the mouse and foot pedal instead of keystrokes.  My experience with eScription was horrible, in that I was constantly getting little messages saying "This is how often you used the mouse," demanding that I use the keystrokes.  Is every V.R. platform like this? ...

Question About Mouse Clicks When Needing To
Feb 20, 2011

I understand that mouse clicks are monitored because MQ encourages the use of hot keys, but what about needing to use the mouse to reference Google or MT bookmarked sites?  Is that not allowed?  Does a person need a second computer for that? ...

Mouse Does Not Work In Extext- Any Fixes
Aug 12, 2012

Cannot get my mouse to work with Extext.  I am using Word 2003 and Windows XP ...

FOR THOSE WHO COUNT OUR MOUSE CLICKS, IDLE TIME, ETC
Apr 15, 2011

Due to the slowness from Kapersky, pausing to pray (some hospitals do this), physicians talking with others in the background, physicians asking me to wait a minute (like I have a choice) and many other interruptions my idle time may be increased.  All of these things have happened to me within the last week.  Please do something about Kapersky.  This should have no bearing on our ability to work--we can't be productive with this going on.  ...