A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Trying to gain employment - Keasha

Posted: Aug 17, 2011

I graduated from Kaplan University last July and I have still not been able to find employment in medical transcription.

I have even tried to get my foot in the door as far as working as a medical receptionist, secretary and in medical records to no avail.

Is there any advice that you seasoned MTs can give me? Any and all advice would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Keasha :)

Keasha - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Without a really good school (alas, Kaplan isn't one of the prime schools in many people's opinion) and lack of experience, it may be difficult to get employment in the MT world. I would recommend you get some additional training at either Andrews or M-TEC to beef up your resume and your knowledge. I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but these days MTSOs have their choice of whom to hire, and they are going for grads with more extensive, well-rounded training. It would cost you nothing to speak with either Andrews or M-TEC and see what they recommend. The second best thing is to try to get your foot in the door with a private practice doc. Perhaps by doing clinic work, you can network. Good luck to you. Unfortunately, there are many people in this position, given the state of our world. Although the media does not like to say it, we are in a depression, not a recession. (Apparently none of the news commentators ever took economics 101.) Keep trying, keep your chin up, do everything you can to augment what you already have.

Also a Kaplan Grad - BreMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just graduated in May of this year and was able to get an IC job that I found here on MTstars. Have you turned your résumé in for feedback somewhere (like optimum résumé on Kaplan's site) to make sure it is highlighting you? I know many of my classmates are also struggling to get work. I don't really know why I was picked over everyone else except maybe I had better grades. I was very assertive with my résumé and cover letters which may have helped as well. Good luck!!

BreMT - why you were hired - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I bet I know at least part of why you were picked. Your sentence construction and spelling are beautiful. Your post is very professional. I see posts from would-be MTs who seem not to know the basics: i.e., the difference between "to" and "too" and "yours" and your's" (sic), "doctors" and "doctor's," etc. I have to ask myself--if they cannot even spell basic words correctly, how can they do this job? Your post, however, is extremely professional. If I were in a hiring position now, I would hire you! Others should follow your example! You prove the adage that there is room at the top for the best! Congratulations!

Similar Messages:

How Can I Gain Experience?
Nov 12, 2010

I know I probably asked a million times already, but how am I supposed to gain experience if all of these companies was 2+ years?  I have called a bunch of medical places around here and they either outsource, don't tell me where they outsource, and then they leave it at that.  How am I supposed to get my foot in the door if that's the answer I am getting? There is a woman who was in my program and she is still looking for employment, the rest of the people were hired by a c ...

Weight Gain
Feb 26, 2013

Doctor is talking about 14-year-old patient who is gaining weight, then says, "patient's family looked like they are (s/l nonforithan people). She has no signs of Cushings and blood work was normal. He is referring her to a dietitian. Any ideas on "nonforithan" people would be greatly appreciated. ...

How To Gain Experience If Nobody Will Hire You
Apr 06, 2010

I am a relatively new MT working in a large hospital in a subspecialty (Dermatopathology). My goal is to work at home and all job openings I see for working at home require experience working in acute care.   I graduated from a 2 year college last year and received an Associates of Science degree in Office Administration with a major in Medical Transcription. I am pretty sure that my college degree got me this MT job since I had no previous work experience.&nbs ...

An S/l 'all' To Gain Access To Intramedullary Cavity.
Jun 02, 2015

Knee arthroplasty surgery:   Doc says, "A rongeur was used to clean out the tochlear notch.  This was followed an an s/l<All, ahl, ohl, oll> to gain access to the intramedullary cavity.   ...

At-will Employment
Aug 16, 2011

If your employment with an MTSO is "at will," doesn't that apply to BOTH you and them? The legal meaning of "at-will employment" is as follows: "A common-law rule that an employment contract of indefinite duration can be terminated by either the employer or the employee at any time for any reason; also known as terminable at will." So, given this legal rule, why are we deemed ineligible for rehire when we leave an MTSO without what they perceive as fair notice? ...

Need Employment Help PLEASE
Nov 18, 2011

I need some help.  I recently became a single mom....and then lost my previous job due to taking some time off to gain custody of my niece due to an abuse situation she was in.  So now I am a single mom of 2 children.  After 2 months I finally found a job but not doing transcription.  I am not making it financially with what I am doing now, especially adding the cost of gas driving 30 minutes each way back and forth to work.  SOOOO.....I am in desperate need of some help ...

PRN Employment
Apr 15, 2012

Are there any "reputable" companies offering prn transcription opportunities any more?  I am finding myself with times where my workflow is slow and would love to have a backup, but I also dont want to commit to more than I can handle.  Would appreciate some suggestion/feedback.    ...

Looking For Employment
Jun 24, 2014

Hello, I am currently looking for employment in either In-House transcription near Spring Hill, Florida or employment with a company that will provide the computer and equipment needed. Any information is appreciated. Thank you, Kathy ...

Employment Status Changes
Dec 06, 2009

For anyone who has changed from full-time to part-time status, have you still been able to get time off when needed, and what exactly is meant by flexible part time (flexible for whom)?  With all the recent changes, I am finding it necessary to begin heading in another direction. ...

Considering Employment With Medquist
Oct 05, 2010

I took a test for Medquist three months ago and was told I didni't pass, even when I know I had to have.  I got a call this afternoon from someone in HR about wanting me to please take the test again.  Is this company worth working for?   I've looked online and some people are posting that they are only making $7-9 an hour?  Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Considering Employment With Amphion
Jan 05, 2011

I am considering employment with Amphion.  I've heard it's a great company to work for. Does anyone have any feedback regarding Amphion that they'd be willing to share? Thanks - Joyce ...

Healthcare Employment
Jan 16, 2011

Has anyone else answered ads for them.  You do a really EASY test. They offer to train you for free..  then send you emails... basically to schedule a job interview.  You text them.  They send you this agreement, which says that in order to work for them you need to plunk out $450 to buy their software.. This does not quite seem on the level to me.. I have been working in this industry going on 20 years.  I work in house right now..  but job situation is precariou ...

Employment Advice
Aug 31, 2011

In a nutshell, I graduated from Career Step in 2007 with High Honors and worked for TRS for a year.  I was happy at TRS and produced quality work (98.5% accuracy).  Then life intervened and the past few years have been rough. The good news is, I survived   I would like to get back into transcription, but I am having a hard time filling the "recent" experience qualification most reputable companies have.  In an attempt to refresh my skills while I am waiting on rejection emai ...

MQ Employment Test
Dec 14, 2011

Has anyone with experience taken the employment test (transcription part) and not passed with 98?  I cannot believe this.... ...

Odd Employment Question
Feb 18, 2012

Let's say you apply for a transcription job and they intend to do a credit check which you know will show you late on payments (because you are unemployed).  Does that automatically disqualify a person?  I feel like I have no business applying knowing my credit is less than stelllar at this moment in time and it is depressing.  What to do. ...

Do You Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes?
Apr 23, 2012

If you are an independent contractor, do you have to pay self-employment taxes? ...

Employment Terminated
Nov 07, 2012

I got canned yesterday for not making over minimum wage. I meet over the minimum lines requirement, but still not enough for minimum wage for my state. We had also been running out of work a lot lately. I had one verbal warning over the phone a little over a month ago, no written warning, and no "performance management," and was scheduled for a mentoring session later this month...totally taken by surprise. I was hoping to hang on until retirement in 2 years, but with the drop in pay, increase i ...

Who To Contact About Employment?
May 31, 2013

I've applied at Nuance, but I never hear anything back. Does anyone have an e-mail address of someone I can contact? I've gone to the site but can't find one. ...

Pre-employment Testing Sm
Dec 23, 2013

Do all the major companies require actual transcription of voice dictation, or do some of them only require on-line skills assessment, i.e., Q&A, multiple choice, etc. I have found that some of these voice files are actually very hard to understand, deliberately done or not, placing the applicant in a disadvantaged position to start. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thx. ...

How About Synernet Has 2 Ads For Employment
Jan 06, 2014

Not fair. ...

MM India Employment Ad
Apr 04, 2014

Greetings from MModal, Coimbatore, TN. (Ex-CBaySystems).Immediate openings for MT Professionals for In-house work @ MModal, Coimbatore with below mentioned benefits:• Fixed Base Salary. Attractive Performance Linked Incentives for achievement and exceeding targets. Line one quality incentive over and above the target based on required quality% Lucrative Night shift allowance. Flexible Working hours for HBTs Performance based promotions as per Career Pathing and Development (CPD). ASR i ...

HDS Student Employment
Oct 11, 2014

Do you know of anyone that hires  students that are about to graduate with a 4.0? ...

Employment Question
Nov 21, 2014

Fifteen years ago, I worked for a certain employer and was terminated after 4 months in a particular position. I recently applied to that same employer for the same job. While completing the application, one of the questions was if I had ever been an employee of theirs, and I chose no because it had been so long. Is this going to be a problem (application didn't ask for SSN)? If so, should I try to contact the HR department and explain that I need to reapply and change my answer? Or if it g ...

Employment With Amphion
Feb 02, 2015

Anyone have any thoughts on employment with Amphion?  I have been an MT for over 23 years most recently working for small company which has been forced to downsize due to EMR.  I have applied at 10 different transcription companies only heard back from about 3 which is very frustrating.  Just wondering if anyone has any information good/bad regarding Amphion.   Thanks   ...

Employment Verification
Apr 27, 2015

I can't seem to find the number for empolyment verification.  Can anyone help? ...

Transcend Radiology Employment
Jan 21, 2010

Saw a job posted early this morning on the Transcend site, they have openings for radiology MLS if anyone is interested in applying. ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

MT Pre-Employment Testing Scores
Apr 23, 2010

Hello All, I just received the results of my pre-employment testing.  I have not had to "score" on a test in quite some time.  One company asked me if I had been contacted because I scored 50% on the transcription side.  What does that mean?  The other company stated that I did not pass their test.  It was graded by a regional recruiting manager and they are saying that I made several critical errors?  Like what?  Does anyone have any insight to the scoring of ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

Penn Foster Course And Employment ?
Sep 05, 2010

Has anyone completed the Medical Transcription course at Penn Foster and has successfully gained employment? ...