A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TRS Institute (TRSI) - Michelle

Posted: Apr 30, 2011

Does anyone know anything about the TRS Institute (TRSI)?  They supposedly hire their graduates.  Did anyone graduate and then get hired to work for them?  Any information you have would be appreciated.  

As a Lot of Questions - TXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would ask them specifically how many of their graduates they hire. Ask for very specific statistics. They might be a good school, but they do not yet have the reputation that gets your foot in the door with other companies like the top schools do. As a new graduate having those names on your resume really goes a long way.

They cannot possibly hire all of their graduates so I would inquire about how many exactly they do hire. Also about pay. What are they paying those new graduates? If they are paying 5 cents per line you could make more working in retail or fast food.

If I were looking for a school right now I would do exactly what I did 3 years ago, I would select one of the 2 schools with proven track records (M-Tec or Andrews) or I would go into something else. Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry. I wish you the best! This field has been good to me but I went to a fantastic school that opened many doors for me. I also went into debt up to my eyeballs to pay for it, but that is another story. :-D

Michelle - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
There is another question to ask: Supoosedly they hire their graduates. But WHO ELSE hires their grads? What do MTSOs think of them? Frankly, I have never heard of them and I am older than dirt. And do they use SUM? If not, fagiddaboutit.

They Are New - TXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Good grief I hope I had better proofreading skills at work today than in my above post.

They are still fairly new. There was a lot of controversy about them on the AHDI Lounge blog a few months back because they are also training scribes. Long story.

If you look at some of the big MTSOs you notice they link to one school in particular pretty often but I know from my own experience in HIM that the graduates of that school are not often hired because they simply do not produce graduates with the kill level that Andrews and M-Tec graduates possess. My point is, simply because you see an affiliation with a school on a company website does not mean they actually hire the graduates.

In the case of TRSi I would ask the questions I mentioned above as well as what percentage of their graduates are passing the RMT, what help they offer in job placement, what training they offer in SRT editing, etc. Also make sure all of their instructors are CMT. After asking them those questions, I would call Andrews or M-Tec. TRSi is only very slightly cheaper than Andrews is (not sure of M-Tec's current price) and they payment plans offered are not as generous.

They also offer an externship. I had a job almost immediately after graduating from school. What does this externship pay? You're working for free? Maybe. No way, no how would I work for free. If they are paying you, how much?

I wouldn't even consider it.

What's New? - Educator Consultant

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure how to define "new" since they've been on the AHDI approved school list for about 7 years now. Still I believe their program has changed a lot. The questions about numbers of graduates are great ones to ask. I would also ask of all of their graduates so far, how many are working in the industry now. That might give you an idea of whether they are providing education that prepares you for sustained employability.

I know they have SRT training as they partnered with AHDI to do that. I believe the externship is paid, but I'm not sure at what rate which is sure important.

What IS really new is their transcription service. The service that existed for so long was sold a couple of years ago to Transcend so what is there is now a brand new deal. With that in mind, I'd want to know how many jobs they anticipate having in a year or so when you would be done with the course.

Good luck!
Partnering with AHDI would be a deal-breaker for me because I think it's unethical - I feel strongly about this.
[ In Reply To ..]
I very much don't like it when a professional organization 'partners' with this company or that company or gives special preference to one vendor over another, creating not just an uneven playing field and unfair advantage to one over another. I also don't like it because it reminds me of a big power play, not for the purpose of benefiting the customer or student in this case, but to benefit the organization and the vendors it chooses to make deals with. I've never liked that.
I almost cancelled my AHDI membership over something similar - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still an AHDI member, but I almost dropped my membership for something similar. I think they need to rethink how these things are done.
I did drop my membership a long, long time ago - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not want to support the organization previously known at the AAMT in any way. It has not supported the MT community (except to facilitate our jobs going overseas), so why should we support them?
I feel strongly about this, too - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
It is but one of the many reasons I avoid AHDI like the plague. They always look after the "bottom line"--problem is, it isn't the MTs' bottom line, but their own. 'Nuff said.

Similar Messages:

I Went To TRSI :(
Oct 26, 2009

.... http://www.nationnews.com/news/local/PG1LEADmedical-transcriptionist-work-hits-a-snag-FRONT-PAGE-LEA# ...

Response From AHDI About TRSi Status
Jul 20, 2010

Out of curiousity about the TRSi status brought up below I emailed AHDI about the school not appearing on the website and this was their response so I thought I would share in case there are future students looking into going to this school.   "The only thing I can officially tell you is that TRSi does not currently have an approved status. They were up for renewal of program approval in June, and there are some pending issues around their program that prohibit us from renewing their a ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

USA Career Institute
Feb 15, 2014

Hi, I'm about to sign up for MT school.  I am leaning toward USA Career Institute.  Has anyone else graduated from that school?  I am very limited on what I can spend.  Their cost seems to fall in the middle of the prices I have seen online.  Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Thanks!! ...

Has Anyone Graduated From U.S. Career Institute?
Jul 10, 2010

I'm currently studying MT at this school at home and I love it but from reading some posts, it looks as tho jobs are hard to find?  Is this true? ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

99.6%. The Only Shocker Is They Didnt Institute
Jun 03, 2013

Since I can't maintain 99.6%, the only thing for me to do is speed, speed, speed and make as much $$ as possible til they fire me. ...

Whats The Word On US Career Institute??
May 24, 2010

I know someone who wants to train as an MT- Thats been decided already. What's the best place to do it in?? ...

Does Anyone Know If U.S. Career Institute Is An Actual Acredited MT School?
Jan 04, 2012

I have completed a course in medical transcriptioning in a school thats called U.S. Career Institute and was woundering if I just got hoaxed or if it was a real school. If anybody knows I would appraciate it having difficulties finding a job. ...