A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

the spot awards - look carefully - they add it in before they take it out

Posted: May 15, 2013

It is listed under pay and then again under deductions.  They have to do this so that you pay taxes on it, but they don't just subtract the full amount, as if you bought the gift card with your own money.

Not sure what you mean. shouldnt they just add it in, period? - Why are we paying taxes on an award? nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Cuz Uncle Sam says so - It qualifies as income

[ In Reply To ..]
Just like we have to pay taxes if we win the lottery. Although it would be nice if they figure in the taxes with the prize.

didn't the last thing say the card was for $13 - to include taxes? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

But wouldnt you pay taxes on it at the end of the year? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
they add it to your gross - and deduct the applicable taxes
[ In Reply To ..]
say you made $850 plus a $10 gift card. Your taxable income for that pay period is $860.

Right, thats what I thought - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you win on a game show, you pay taxes on all of it.

you get a gift card - but you have to pay taxes on it

[ In Reply To ..]
you have to pay taxes on any income, even a $10 gift card.

Eveybody must feel silly now - Kudos for being observant

[ In Reply To ..]
Now, on to the next thing that MM has done to cheat the MTs.

It would be nice if people actually checked things out - before they post and get people all riled up.

[ In Reply To ..]
Can't believe the insanity on this board sometimes.

Checking things out - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, that would just be too much trouble you know. Plus, it's obviously more fun to complain than to make an effort.

They why is it listed as 13 when the card was 10 - who gets the 3 dollars?

[ In Reply To ..]
I get what you are saying but where does the extra 3 dollars come in and why are we paying taxes on that also?

does it show 13 on the pay side - and 13 on the deductions side?

[ In Reply To ..]
or does one show 10 and the other 13?

I believe that is MM's guesstimate on how much taxes will be, sm - melimel

[ In Reply To ..]
The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is MModal is using that extra $3 to help offset the taxes for the people who get these awards. In other words, Mmodal is giving the winner the $10 gift card PLUS $3 to help pay for taxes.

If MModal didn't give the extra $3, the winner would pay for taxes by herself and end up only getting $7 when it's all said and done.

Similar Messages:

Spot Awards Still Around?
Apr 22, 2013

Just wondering if Amy mentioned those $10 awards on her call.  Has anyone actually won?  Did you spend it?  Were you tempted to send it back?  ...

E-Mail From Amy Says Spot Awards
Jan 11, 2013

"After our first quarter of the program, your feedback has been incredibly positive. Given the strong feedback to date, we will continue with the Spot Awards program in 2013."   Feedback from Whom? Vern?   ...

Since We Are Financing Our Own Spot Awards, I Hope MTs
May 15, 2013

x ...

Spot Awards. What Is The Point If They Deduct And Tax
May 15, 2013

In fact, they don't just deduct the $10, but $13 (I think I remember reading the $3 is the "upcost" for mailing, etc.).  What is the point of even giving these if we're funding and paying for them ourselves?   It seems to me a TSMs job of "awarding" us a spot reward for which we are actually paying for ourselves could be better spent on other job duties, maybe like checking and answering their email?  LOL what is wrong with this picture? ...

Reading Carefully
Jul 13, 2010

I have red enough about this Mts searching job. I am a new MT too. I have searching for job as much as everyone else. It is very sad when you get to this point and find out yourself you are not going to be able to make it as fast as you thought. Today is my graduationf from Mt, and I am not excited about it, but I will still attend it. I am considering to take a full-time job in a health clinic of my local hospital. It is not what I wanted when I decided to study this career. I like medical ...

Hyper T2 Spot?
Feb 04, 2010

She has a small hyper-T2 spot on her thoracic spinal MRI ...

Harold Spot
Oct 20, 2010

s/l HAROLD SPOT???  .....appears to be more of a ______ spot on her left lower back. ...

$10 Spot Award
Oct 15, 2012

Hahahahaha ...

Spot Award?
Aug 09, 2013

My last check showed that I had a taxable prize of 13.00.  I have yet to receive it in the mail.  How long does it take to get it, for those of you that have in the past?  I guess 10 bucks is 10 bucks.  ...

Wifi Hot Spot GB?
Oct 25, 2014

I need to know if I can transcribe 5 hours a day with a 5GB wallyworld wifi hot spot thing.  I can't get DSL where I live and my only option is the wifi.  I've been told everything from 3GB to 100GB will be necessary.  Can someone tell me what I need?  Thanks! ...

My Quality For Straight Typing Is Spot On, But ASR ....
Oct 22, 2012

Little errors here and there. The influence of what SR has put out on what should be heard and the constant struggle with how much of the SR ouptut is wrong along with the loss of train of thought from having to stop so many times to correct, delete, move takes its toll. Some of the errors I see, I can barely believe I left. Although, I probably didn't delete enough. SR, in so many ways, is going to be the death of me. :-{ ...

GI: Similarly To The Previously Identified S/l Spot Formula Area On The Transverse Colon, They Proce
Oct 12, 2009

GI.  ...