A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ridiculous reduction in pay - fed up

Posted: Jul 28, 2010

As with most of you, my pay from Medquist has taken a total nose dive ever since ASR went to 85% while at the same time cutting our transcription rate down for ASR from 70% to 60%.  That's a 40% pay cut!!!  I've had to take another job elsewhere to try to make ends meet.  Besides that, our health benefits are the absolute worst and get worse every year.  Can anyone ever remember any kind of cost of living raise?   I used to make $36,000 annually,  now I'm down to $23,000 and I'm working the same amount of hours.  I just posted all of these facts on the mtquestions.com site and will be waiting for a reply.  Perhaps many of us should address it as obviously we are all in the same boat, and see if we get some sort of response from Tony!  This is outrageous.   Ive' been working in the same field for a total of 23 years and now I see my pay is actually decreasing instead of increasing through no fault of my own.  What's wrong with this picture  We need to make our voices heard. 

pay reduction - fed up

[ In Reply To ..]
Oops, I meant to say Peter as in Masanotti, not Tony. Hard to keep up with all those personnel changes.

You just described my situation! - Hey, Tony!

[ In Reply To ..]
How do I go into that MT questions thing? I've also had to take a second job, now making me work 60 hours a week and still am not making what I used to make working 40 hours at MQ. Now they're deciding who has to work weekends which would mean I could no longer have that part-time job. I get these "bennies" from MQ so think that should be my priority, but MQ doesn't pay the weekend differential I get at that weekend job. What's an MT to do?? I'm "going postal."

reduction in pay - fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
The easiest way is to just e-mail mtquestions@medquist.com, you don't even have to be logged on to MQCentral. I found that e-mail address under Hot Topics and Links on MQCentral. I went under MT News and info and then when the blue box appeared I clicked on MT INFO. Thanks for reading!

Ridiculous reduction in pay - PedalPshr

[ In Reply To ..]
'Make our voices heard' would be quitting the Q and find work elsewhere that PAYS BETTER/has better things to offer for YOU. Why stick with something that used to work but doesn't anymore? MQ is one of MANY companies. Agree that it's harder these days to make money as an MT, it's more of a challenge; there are more companies than there were 10-15 years ago netting more revenue and not properly compensating the MTs. MTs have to do the same; get more revenue for themselves and if it takes company-shopping and a bit of time searching then so be it. JMHO

agree with leaving but know MQ doesn't care - NE MT

[ In Reply To ..]
With the old MQ they used to try to retain their employees but now they are hiring new employees at 5 cents a line- why in the world would they care if an employee making 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 cpl quits? What a deal, they can hire 2 MTs for the price of 1. Then they can claim that there are no qualified MTs in the US and ship everything over to India.

Disclaimer: I found a job that pays better and I plan to be out of here as soon as I can. Like I said, they won't care anyway and can't wait to hire 2 people to replace me.

You got my vote. I been singing this song for - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
a while now. I didn't mind biting the bullet temporarily while Q recouped from the SEC problems, but this is absolutely absurd.

Disclaimer: Too old and broke to go back to school. Like my schedule. Don't want to take more of a cut in pay and have to work nights and/or weekends so please do not flame me and offer these suggestions. I just want to make a living at my craft and share in some of the profits that I believe MQ and C-Bay are bringing in. I believe that what we do is worth more than flipping burgers at McDonald's.

me too, not going to flame you, right with you - so outa here

[ In Reply To ..]
except for one thing, if the TAA program will pay for me to go to school to be retrained, I'm going to try that, along with taking a pretty much entry-level job that pays BY THE HOUR (so excited about that) and selling my house (yes, for less than I paid for it but getting out from under that mortgage which I can no longer afford because of pay cuts).

Caution on selling your house - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
Be care if you are selling your house for less than you owe. My husband and I recently did that and if you settle for less with the mortgage company, the difference is reported to IRS as income. If you don't settle, they will go legal, if you pay $10 starting out a month on the short bal, nothing will happen. This was on a second mortgage, not the first, which was paid off, so do a lot of homework. We thought we were doing the right thing since we could no longer afford maintenance, utilities, etc., due to 40% reduction in income.

Hopefully you only have a first and hopefully it will not apply to you, but ask lots and lots of questions and get straight answers.
selling house - outa here
[ In Reply To ..]
Not less than I owe! Less than I paid for it. Thank heavens the amount I owe is not extraordinary compared to what it's worth. I bought it 6 years ago so I have a little equity.

40% pay cut - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ set the industry standard for voice recognition pay cuts. They must have pulled the so-called 30-40% increased productivity out of their hats. In no other field does advanced technology equate to such a drastic cut in pay. Doctors now have the assistance of robots to help with their surgeries. Perhaps it makes them 30-40% more efficient, but the doctors would NEVER accept a 30-40% cut in their salary. Why do we?

Agree, agree, agree - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
I am trying to get out of transcription altogether. Breaks my heart but it will not get better because MQ is too big, everybody will have to follow their lead or go out of business.

I would stay if only one thing would happen, ASR would do what they pretend it will do. If I could produce more and make up the 40%, fine, I would be a happy employee.

But it is not going to do that without them fixing it and I don't see where they have any intention of fixing it.

Who is ASR for? I have asked that before. The doctors couldn't care less. It doesn't change anything on their end. It does nothing for us. We haven't increased production with it, but we have taken a pay cut with it.

Who is ASR for? Who does it benefit?
Not us, not the dictators.

In case anybody says I am complaining and they are tired of it, I am trying to do something about it. I am trying to get out. Not a lot of jobs out there for me, after spending 15 years in transcription, but I am not giving up.

I agree with whoever said why would they care if we leave. They are hiring newbies at crazy rates. And they seem okay with the quality, based on what I see when I am looking up old reports to fill in blanks.

Not the same place. Not a place I am proud to be part of. I will be gone, will just take longer based on what I am trying to achieve. Meanwhile I will continue to speak out against the injustice.

"benefit" of ASR pfftt - DONE

[ In Reply To ..]
ASR is time saving, supposedly, and most definitely cost saving, for the institution (e.g., hospital) That's a whole pool of transcriptionists that don't have to be paid and given benefits. It's a machine. Just wait. Quality is suffering already. They got rid of us necessary documentation professionals and there will be repercussions, not from us, but just in the lack of quality of patient care. Business success should be measured in reviews by the customers, like it used to be. Not in cost cutting. (Look what happened to BP in the name of cost cutting.)

Wow! Your post is identical to what I would write. - Same thing with pay and years worked.

[ In Reply To ..]
Tony and MQ could careless. They are selfish.

Vote with your feet - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ obviously doesn't give a rip about what's happening to your pay. You stay there and let them walk all over you and they are laughing all the way to the bank. You need to leave or accept your fate. People continuing to stay is what allows them to keep taking actions that lower pay. Because they can.

exactly what I was thinking. - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
With your experience, why are you staying on with them? Start looking for another job where you will be valued. If you are a good MT, another MTSO will be happy to hire you.

Because India will buy most companies. - Did you read Kumar intentions.

[ In Reply To ..]
HE IS TAKING OVER! Read posts from a few days ago. He is going full speed ahead with a whole bunch of acquisitions. Spheris was nothing; just a start.

He is also taking over support, IT, coding, billing to United State Hospitals. He will soon be running the healthcare in the United States.

Forget going to another MTSO. GET OUT AND RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM BEING AN MT! DO SOMETHING ELSE.

I believe in Karma. - Whatever!

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe in Karma. I betcha India will soon get rid MQ board of directors. Will not need them in the future.

If it is true karma, they will slowly demote them, - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
reduce their pay, and strip them of any self-esteem they ever possessed -- then replace them with Indians and stupid Americans willing to work for a penny.
EXACTLY! My husband worked - for an India owned company
[ In Reply To ..]
run by a bunch of Indians. I know this sounds horrible and I am not prejudice. I currently have friends who are from India and are very nice.

But the company my husband worked for was for power, money, greed and only cared about their stocks. Sound familiar? It seems CBAY Systems is that way.

My husband only lasted 4 months, even though he needed a job really bad. My husband hated the bosses the first day he started working. My husband thought he could handle it for 1 year and then he was going elsewhere.

Well, the company used him and abused him, wined him and dined him so my husband could get the stuff done that the company wanted and then? YOU DISMISSED. WE DO NOT NEED YOU ANYMORE.

Boom, my husband was out of a job. My husband also found out he was the 12th person in the last 3 years working for this company in his position.

Just thought of something that I am going to post up above!

Similar Messages:

Reduction Mammoplasty
Dec 05, 2011

Pt is being evaluated for reduction mammoplasty.  Dictated:   My concern is her s/l weight type ratio. Is weight type correct?  Cannot totally understand him. ...

QA Line Rate Reduction
Apr 26, 2010

Why is it that we receive a reduced line rate when the blanks cannot be filled in by QA either? I've checked my feedback and most of the QA markers I left were also left blank by the QA person. So those reports should not count against us. How am I supposed to know what QA can hear or what they know? ...

WMX Reduction In Force Employees
Oct 05, 2010

Hoping everyone has found new and happy homes.  Frightening to think we can so easily lose our job (through no fault of our own).   I understand it was not just new people hired for that specific account but some of you had been there a while and were put on it and got zapped.  I thought of asking for transfer to it simply because it was a large account.  Wow, I dodged that bullet. Sorry you were not as lucky. Best of luck to you (and the rest of us). ...

Need To Know - Line Rate Reduction
Jun 21, 2013

I have worked for the same company since 2010.  I received a phone call today that my primary account has demanded a "flat-rate price reduction" so my pay will also be reduced for my standard transcription line rate to "accomodate the client" and not lose the account.  I do work on a speech rec platform and most of the reports are edited, but I have never had anything like this happen before.  I like my company and the accounts I work on and there is usually plenty of work, but I ...

Workforce Reduction, Yet Still Hiring...
Nov 28, 2013

This has to be related to money...firing those making 9/5, 10/6, 8/4, and hiring at what, 7/3?? If you're a new hire for MM, please share your insights, or better yet, what is your line rate? ...

Pay Reduction For Some Platforms Question
Jan 15, 2015

Seem to remember at one point they were reducing percentage paid on some platforms, there was a lot of hubaloo and then (if I am not mistaken) they went back on this and allowed them to be paid for full lines typed. Is my memory correct? Going by this I wonder if there is a ray of sunshine at the end of this long, long tunnel.  Perhaps they will make further adaptations to this plan as they figure out it isn't workign well.   This HEENT/HENT crap is totally unreal and that ...

Zygomatic Arch Reduction Operation.
Aug 27, 2010

Dissection began and the facial artery was identified.  This was retracted from the field with a s/l "sons rake" and protected. ...

Reduction In Force Letter From Webmedx
Sep 01, 2010

Anyone else get one of these notifications this morning? As of today there is no work for me. ...

Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction: S/l Chiumella?
Nov 22, 2010

Currently working on an OR for a septoplasty/turinate reduction... The sentence is:  Stay sutures were secured to one another externally below the s/l chiumella. Driving me crazy trying to find out this word!!  Any help would be appreciated! ...

Reduction Mammoplasty, ? Bipedicle Technique
Aug 19, 2012

DIAGNOSIS:  PROCEDURE ON THE LEFT IS LEFT BREAST REDUCTION MAMMOPLASTY, 435 GRAMS, s/l "MIKISIC"  BIPEDICLE TECHNIQUE WITH WISE PATTERN.  MIKISIC ? ...

Modified Shoulder Reduction Technique
Sep 19, 2012

Anyone familiar with a type of shoulder reduction technique for dislocated shoulder?  Sounds like the doc is saying modified "Stitz" technique.    ...

IMEDX, Question About Reduction In Bonus
Feb 13, 2015

The e-mail I got said it has been reduced to 2 cents above your line rate.  Bonus before was set at line rate and 1/2, which I thought they did because it would be the equivalent to "time and a half," which is, I believe, the law when you are working beyond 40 hours in a week.  If you are working bonus, which is usually the case, above your 40 hours, is it legal for them not to pay the equivalent of time and a half?  ...

Wellness Payroll Premium Reduction
Mar 05, 2015

Does anyone know what kind of reduction you get for filling out the Health Risk Assessment.  Thanks in advance. ...

Am I Gonna Have A Big Reduction In Pay When My 45 Days Training Is Up? Read On
Jul 13, 2010

I just can't get going fast on these terrible accounts.  I was doing 200 lph ST at my old job and nearly 400 lph VR (on EditScript) and I don't think I will EVER get this fast at MedQuist.  I am really worried that in 2 weeks I will drop down low enough that I either won't get benefits or they will fire me or I will be making minimum wage.    Worried...   Rachel ...

Rebruse Lobster Bone Reduction Clamp?
Aug 10, 2010

as above ...

This Is Ridiculous
Mar 01, 2011

Pinging in and out. Getting booted off. Losing reports. And what slow reports are coming through are all wrong...wrong patients...wrong data in ASR. I knew when I read that email a couple of days ago that they were going to update the client's database and apologized for any inconvenience this might cause, we were in for trouble. So predictable. Thanks MQ. All I want to do is WORK! ...

Are They Serious?? Wow!! This Is Ridiculous To Say The Least
Nov 23, 2011

So I send resumes to about 20 places yesterday and I get responses.  They say they only pay 8 cpl, but their test is ridiculous for a pathetic 8 cpl.  Forget it MedInk!!! ...

How Ridiculous Is This???
Dec 30, 2011

I am currently doing a doctor who actually spells out "N-O" whenever he says the word no.  I'm ready to scream. ...

Beyond Ridiculous
Nov 03, 2012

One of the docs upset because many of us are leaving the word "and" out of one of his sentences so we got an email instructing us to make a note of this.  Never mind that he dictates at the speed of light on a speakerphone, we need to be sure we get every single little word.  Heaven forbid anyone should ever tell these docs it is their responsibility to slow down and make sure they are understood.  ...

OK, This Is RIDICULOUS!
Jan 08, 2013

I sat here for 2 hours waiting for work, and I finally have a few reports.  Now the sewer just now backed up for the 3rd time in 2 weeks.  ARGHHHHHH!!!!  I have had the plumber out twice already and still owe for one visit!  I make way less than minimum wage most days and am having to depend heavily on my retirement account (I'm only 56).  Feel like everything is raining down on me!  I also had to call a wrecker the other day because I locked myself o ...

Ridiculous Pay
Sep 05, 2013

Is it just me or are a lot of you making minmal wage? ...

Truly Ridiculous
Sep 05, 2014

As if speech rec can't get more annoying and stupid.  Working on a report that had Progresso for progressive over!!  ...

This Is Just Getting Ridiculous--sm
Feb 14, 2015

My team is required to be signed into a conference in Spark when working our account.  That is not a bad thing, in fact it is quite educational because I am seeing just how ridiculous everything is.  The account is verbatim, you only type a heading if it is dictated.  Someone is worried that the doctor said Procedure for a heading naming the procedure and then later used procedure when beginning the real procedure.  That MT was worried about getting dinged if she changed the ...

Synernet Is Ridiculous
Jun 03, 2010

Talked to the recruiter 2 weeks ago tomorrow (Friday, after her postponing the interview on Wednesday), she was very nice was told the paperwork would be send Fed Ex after not receiving it was told the gal in fhe office was out and would be sent later, and of course based on a "background check" etc  -- with training to supposedly start 06/14/2010  -- I have since accepted two positions and if I were an MT, I would be VERY leery of this company  -- a month to start is ridiculous especially wh ...

The Landmark Ad Pay Is Ridiculous!
Nov 29, 2011

What is wrong with these companies!  That type of transcription is a minimum of $1.00/min!! You have to look up so much drug terminology and who knows what the audio quality could be like.  I can't believe they have the NERVE to offer $.07/A LINE!!  And as usual, they are targeting the "newbies" who they can take advantage of, rip off and pay slave wages to - they are right up there with that other company who posts jobs for general transcription - the name of which escapes m ...

I Know This Is A Ridiculous Question, But
May 30, 2012

are there any MTSOs who hire part-time weekdays?  I'm looking for something M-Thurs or Tues-Friday with morning hours (7 a.m. to 12 p.m.).  I realize most larger companies require weekend work, but I have family commitments (sick family member) that interferes with my ability to work weekends. ...

Ridiculous Feedback
Apr 13, 2014

This is soooooo ridiculous, my blood is boiling.  The doctor dictated: "Continue vancomycin and will obtain a vanco trough and further dosing recommendations."  I get it back as a minor error.  She changed it to:  "Continue vancomycin and we will obtain a vanco trough  . .  .   She's acting like he put a contraction in there such as we'll.  That's purely a judgment call.  No wonder we're getting emails complaining about our high ra ...

OOW Is Getting Completely Ridiculous
Oct 14, 2014

Up to now, I have hardly ever run out of work but the last 2 weeks it has become steadily more and more and here I sit on a Tuesday morning with no work.  I hope to God we are not losing this account because it is an awesome account.  I cannot sit here and work all day as I have a second job that I work also.  This is truly killing me!!  Might as well go back to bed ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Ridiculous Quality
May 17, 2015

OK...everyone wants to complain about QC and I get it, I am sure there are some QC out there who should not be in the job.  However, I just processed a report, and even before I started doing 100% on it a glaring issue stood out...  Chief Complaint:  What's finger paint. Um..yeah....listened to it and can anyone guess what it really was??? Left finger pain. She also typed that he got his hair caught in a clothing rack, when it really was his finger, left out words everywh ...