A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Windows 7 and Mmodal and April 2014 - sooner

Posted: Dec 23, 2013

I recently freaked when I found out MS was not going to be supporting XP after April 2014...I have a personal XP system and an Mmodal XP system.

My supervisor said Mmodal would support XP after that; don't know what that means, but she will not let me exchange my Mmodal XP for a Windows 7 machine.

I bought a Win7 laptop on Ebay.  So far, so good.  There are some new and some manufacturer refurbished still out there.  Also if you look on the Dell.com website, you can still get laptops with Windows 7.

Laptops are fine to work with, and I prefer them.  Waiting to see what happens to my Mmodal XP next May.

I just got a new M2 pc a couple weeks back, they sent XP - on it

[ In Reply To ..]
doesn't mean XP won't work it just won't be supported. Trust me you don't want Windows 8!

Exactly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When Microsoft says they will not be support XP anymore, it just means they won't be continually updating and fixing bugs. So you can use XP, Microsoft just won't update it past its current state. Windows 7 is good, but like you said, stay away from Win 8; it just a terrible operating system altogether.

My computer guru says XP will be vulnerable to - The Typing Dead

[ In Reply To ..]
security breaches and easily hacked into once MS discontinues those updates. Doesn't sound HIPAA compliant to me!

You can get almost any operating system - from Tigerdirect.com

[ In Reply To ..]
Windows not supporting XP is not necessarily a problem. It will work but there will just be no updates. This stupid company will never evolve with the times.

Similar Messages:

Yikes, April 2014 And Windows XP
Dec 06, 2013

Who besides me has an Mmodal (and personal) XP system.  Apparently Microsoft will no longer be supporting this after April 2014.  What will we be doing for security? ...

MModal Health Benefits For 2014 Email
Oct 19, 2013

I have been offered a new job, aka escape route out of MModal. Everything about the new job makes me happy EXCEPT the high premiums for their insurance plans. Can we really believe the email from a couple days ago promising that our premiums for 2014 would stay the same as they were in 2013???? What's the catch? Is it an outright lie? ...

Does Mmodal's Fluency Work With Windows 7 64-bit Now?
Dec 05, 2013

x ...

It Is April 1
Apr 01, 2013

So much for the trolls ...

Please Add An APRIL Tab
Apr 09, 2013

Sent First Report Since April 1st To QA (It Was Really Bad)
Apr 15, 2010

Was a horrible ER doc mumbling all over the place.  Nothing in a "previous note" would help that.  So I sent it, expecting the worst.  Just wanted to report that the QA filled in the 7 blanks, labeled them all "dictator effect" and scored it 100%!!  Yeaaaaaaaa.  QA been getting a bad rap lately.  Thought I would brag on them for a change.    ...

April Layoffs
Jul 24, 2013

I was laid off April 4th.  Supervisor was sorry she had to make the call as there was no problem with my work.  Had been with company 16 years and worked 7 days a week, third shift, split shift, part time.  It is all working out though, collecting unemployment and in school thanks to TAA.  Everything is paid for: books, tuition, supplies and if school is 50 miles from home, a gas allowance is available.  UE office said I could attend any college I chose and that thi ...

To Those Of You Who Are ICs, Do Any Of You Get Refunds Next April?
Mar 08, 2015

Hi all, I'm sure I'm asking a dumb question, but I just left an employee position to be an IC.  The last time I was an IC I held out 25% of my wages in a savings account, didn't pay quarterly, and my husband's refund went all to taxes, plus I had to pay more than what I had saved up.  Not happy campers.  My husband is an employee, making much more than I (about 2-3x more), and I'm not sure how to pay quarterly to ensure that he still gets a refund at the ...

Where's April And Early May?
May 11, 2015

Why isn't April showing up in the Archives?  I don't see anything from about May 1-5 either.  ...

I Wish Those Laid Off From April Till Now
Aug 15, 2013

Care to elaborate on some things.  I'm trying to figure out a pattern to the layoffs.   When were you let go? What tier level? Higher end of tier pay or lower end? What region? How many hours? Was it a state that they had to pay up to 4 hours? There has to be a pattern to all of this, and it could help those of us hanging by a thread. ...

Lockout Starts For Our Region April 7th-FYI
Mar 29, 2010

Just got the email today regarding the swap board and lockdown of schedule. ...

2014 EHR MANDATE
May 17, 2012

Has anyone heard what the specifics are for all medical records being EHR by 2014?  I am currently transcribing, no VR, and this would hugely affect my job.  After 28 years in this profession, I never thought I would be in this position at age 50.  I'm just sickened.  I just want to work, I HAVE to work, and feel I am just, along with everyone else, in a horrible spot.  I don't have any college education and if I lose this job, I have no idea what I will d ...

Best Way To Charge In 2014
Jul 21, 2014

Hi - I was just contacted by a neuropsychologist I worked for years ago in the office, about transcribing reports for him from home.  I have scoured the boards and I did not see anything current about what to charge. I live in western PA.  He says the reports are somewhat repetitive. If you charge by the page, does that mean half a page is the same price as a full page? I thought by the page would be simplest for calculating what they owe, but not sure.  Setting up how to receive ...

Beginning April 1 The Percentage Score Goes From 99.6 To 99.7, Just Got The Email. NM
Mar 20, 2014

NM ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

How Will The Increased Level Of A&P Be Used In 2014 With ICD-10?
Sep 11, 2012

Does anyone know exactly why ICD-10 will require a greater knowledge of A&P? What else are we going to need more of? Why? ...

If You Are Working A Platform Other Than DEP, By 2014, All Will
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

New QA Standard January 2014
Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

DOES NEW QUARTER FOR FIESA START 01/01/2014?
Jan 01, 2014

Can't find this info anywhere ...

Amphion Line Rate As Of 2014
Feb 01, 2014

Can anyone tell me what Amphion pays per line for acute care transcriptionist with 30 years experience?  And, do they still only pay based on a 65-character line with no spaces paid for?     ...

Electronic Medical Records Become Very Hot Since They Will Become Mandatory By 2014
Dec 22, 2009

How many amongst you have used any of the popular EMRs like practice partner(http://www.practicepartner.com),infraware (www.infraware.com). EMRs have suddenly become very hot since they will become mandatory by 2014. I had read some where that there are some security issues with them.What do you think are pros and cons with EMRs?     ...

AUTOCORRECT - How To Coph From Windows XP To Windows 7
Aug 22, 2013

HOW TO COPY AUTOCORRECT FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS 7 ...

HCPCS 2014 Brings Two New Codes For Pain Management Effective July 1
Aug 12, 2014

The latest HCPCS code update that went into effect on July 1, 2014 is important for pain management practitioners and coders since it modifies the way you report some morphine and propofol administrations. Read more.. ...

Windows 7 And Using Windows XP Mode
Aug 05, 2011

Has anyone ever wanted to work for a company that only used Windows XP and you had Windows 7 but could virtually move to XP mode?  Could you download their software on the XP mode side and get it to work?  I had a job interview where their software only worked on XP.  I thought I could do that, but I had to also have Word 2003.  I only have 2010, but it has the compatability pack for 2003, BUT the client's software couldn't differentiate that.  If I maybe bough ...

ShortCut For Windows With Windows 7 Or 8?
May 14, 2014

Anyone using ShortCut for Windows with Windows 7 or 8? ...

Copying From Windows XP To Windows 7
Jan 31, 2015

I've done this before with no problems but for some reason I can't figure it out today. . . I want to copy my Stedman's Electronic Dictionary from XP to Win 7. I don't know why I am having problems with this . . . I copied my Stedman's electronic surgical words, abbreviations, etc., about 6 months ago just fine using my thumb drive. I don't have the original discs with me. Any help would be appreciated! ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

TT/IMEDX "Merge" Was March 2014.
Feb 11, 2015

I am not up on my business particulars, but when this "merge" - ahem - took place March 1 (I think) of last year, could all contracts have been resigned for a specific period of time, say 1 year, or did contracts just continue as is until they were up, more than likely ending on various dates?  Could we be looking at our 1 year anniversary where all contracts come to an end?  Are there legalities that go along with a 1-year period for employees?  Employer tax breaks? There is at ...

Lipids, S/l "April B"
Aug 08, 2010

Under Plan, #2, change her medications, with fasting lipid profile and "April B" to be done. VR puts "April be," also s/l maybe "apobee." New lipid test in the 6 months since I last worked?? tia... ...

Anyone Use DQS On Windows 7 Yet?
Dec 16, 2009

I want to go to my parents house this weekend for Christmas and I have to work.  They live about 4 hours away so I was just going to take my foot pedal with me and download DQS on my dad's computer.  He is nerd so he has this really cool computer so I am not worried about DQS not running on it or anything.  I was just wondering about how DQS runs with windows 7.  I would figure it would just run the same since it is internet based.  I just would hate to not be able ...