A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Taking a poll? How much time per day - CA-MT

Posted: May 23, 2010

do you spend doing required work that you don't get paid for?  For instance:

"Simply" punching in for the day, then punching out, in and out again if you take a break or have a split shift on our zippy and oh-so-easy-to navigate ScheduleSource.

Keeping an expanded paper file (fills up my desk) of all the client profiles we have to know like the back of our hand (so far 43 for me in the last 18 months).

Checking our turbo-charged Medquist mail system just to read the mail let alone answer it.

Navigating in and out of the repository and the other state-of-the-art DQM old chart lookup.

Looking up doctors' correct name spelling on the Internet to get it FIRSTTIMERIGHT that the doctor forgot to spell out FIRSTTIMERIGHT in their dictation but that we have to type FIRSTTIMERIGHT.

Feel free to add your own time killers.  What ever happened to the days of just waiting for your computer to power up and work?

Adding to the list - CyberlandMT

[ In Reply To ..]
How about those accounts that already have ADT info for consultants..but you have a different consulting physician than the one listed. You have to change that info (not an easy task..2 steps to get the correct one input..select and select again). But wait! We're not done yet. You then have to delete the extra line of erroneous information it throws in! And not one penny of this do I get paid for.

while I know it is unpaid . . . - if it is related to the Q

[ In Reply To ..]
it's done on the clock period. as i told my CCM, what part of EMPLOYEE do you not understand. have not heard a peep about it since.

I'm getting - minimum wage at this

[ In Reply To ..]
so EVERYTHING is done on the clock. Period.
min wage . . . - agree with you
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
Minimum wage - snowflake
[ In Reply To ..]
When I tiered up, my CCM was going to give a 1 cent raise, but came back within the day saying that I could not get that because my line count was down (could not be that they took my main account away and sent it to India and I had to learn a new one, but in the meantime they had my accounts messed up and I was getting work from all accounts in our pool, not just the new account they had given me and most of them are ESL doctors). Secondly, she said because my line count was down that "Corporate" was not very happy because they had to pay me minimum wage for my time instead of my line count. Don't you think they would be happy to pay me less than what I could actually be making.

spending more time than I should - NE MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been spending way more time than I should- amazing how all my doc/medicine web sites are right there but all the MQ ones are getting slower and slower.

Lets also not forget the ADT screen and carbon copies which we are not paid for either, but an error can be a cause for termination so we have to slow down and doublecheck info.

How much time per day? - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
I am with all of you. I decided one day that I was not going to read my email except AFTER I had signed on, even though I am not getting paid. I should not have to take my own time to read company email, especially when none of it is important anyway. Then I get assigned to a new CCM and receive an email saying she wants us to READ OUR EMAIL EVERYDAY. So, now they are telling me I must read my emails on days I am not working? That is just crawzy!! I really recent spending my own time on this SNAIL MAIL system which, by the way, I get about 12 SPAM mails on every day since I signed up for Benchmark (AHDI). Medquist has told me there is a problem with their spam protection so I can expect it until they can afford to fix their mail system. Other than all this, life is good!

I do that, too. - CA-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not going to spend my free time or days off spending time, i.e., working for the Q. I know it eats into my production time, but so be it. BTW, it does happen to be illegal to demand that extra time from Californians without pay, especially on my days off. My QTL actually insisted on us checking our snail mail 3 times a day, albeit while we are working. When they want to know why my line count drops, I'll tell them. They don't seem to understand that piling up these little items into our work basket adds up into lots of wasted time. Since we are being paid by the line, it's an exploitation if not simply an example of corporate's opportunist nature. I figure doing all those fruitless tasks takes up 15-30 minutes of my production time a day, for which I'm not being compensated. Yes, Mr. Qumar, that all adds up, i.e., less income for me, more for you. I was just trying to keep a paper trail of all the injustices for when the time comes for me to quit, I'll have some ammunition with which to fight back.

If I got paid the same cpl for the data entry, and did - the transcription free, Id make a LOT more money!

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Similar Messages:

Taking A Poll
Sep 01, 2010

If you get NJA on a very regular basis, reply with what state you are in.  Apparently, some states require pay for downtime, CA I believe being one of them.  I'm not sure of the other states.  Obviously, work can be routed to or away from us at will, and I have a feeling they are choosing MTs from the states that mandate downtime pay over states that don't. ...

Okay, Taking A Little Poll
Dec 05, 2012

Some have been trying for over 7 years to change things and things haven't changed. Okay.  Those of you who are quite certain you want to try to change things, how long have you been doing it?  And how much longer are you going to do it? I guess we who have been speaking up for 7 years have been doing it all wrong? ...

Taking A Poll: What Would You Do If MQ Decides To
Dec 17, 2009

What would you (if you are MT/ME) if MQ decides to make us all MMEs?  I read a post previously that hinted at this. ...

MTs Going Back To School: Taking A Poll
Apr 15, 2013

There are a lot of posts on this board with MTs stating they are going back to school for various things.  I'm headed in that direction myself and would love to know what you are going back to school for and what school (online, community college, etc.), and any other information you would like to share.  Thank you in advance for the inspiration!  ...

Poll Time, Either Straight Or VR, Could You Lose Your Job If You Don’t
Oct 14, 2009

I just heard yesterday where 1 place is saying you have to do at least 4000 lines per day in VR in order to work for them. Are other places saying the same, how about where you work? ...

Just An FYI To Everyone About The New Taking Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

without pay we were given (13 days). If you use this for NJA you will forfeit an entire day of the time off without pay, even if it's just 1 hour. The days off are not hourly. They are daily, so if you had 1 hour left in your shift and had NJA and took the time off without pay, 1 entire day of your time off without pay would be used. Looks like MM screwed us again. ...

DQS Taking A LONG Time To Download Dictations?
Aug 02, 2010

Is anyone having problems with DQS taking a LONG time to download dictations?  This is ridiculous! ...

Taking Test, Foot Pedal Issue - Report Begins Over Every Time I Lift My Foot!
May 27, 2010

I am taking a test for a company and have gotten as far as taking the transcription portion.  I downloaded their file (pedalplugin-win) but whenever I lift my foot off play, the tape rewinds to beginning.  I cannot rewind or FF and autoplay to 0 isn't registering. Can anyone suggest what I could do to? Thanks!!!!  I have 4 hours to complete test. ...

Q Poll
Mar 23, 2010

Yes, I'm taking a class related to my field or job role. --- Now what would that particular class be?  English as a second language?  Eponyms 101? ...

Another Poll.
Mar 23, 2010

I would like honest answers. Who will be writing an essay?   I, for one, will not be for so many reasons I can't even state them all, but you all know them well.  The sad fact is that I have only been with MQ since October.  Was promised the moon...but, well, we see where that has gone.  I don't even know where my primary account is anymore!   I fully believe that even if NO ONE submits an essay, there will be a "winner" anyhow, but I'm curios to see ...

6.1 Poll
Sep 15, 2010

I'm one of the holdouts on switching to 6.1.  I use my own computer, a Vista 32 bit and it sounds like it should work.  However, there are so many people complaining how sluggish their computer is now, while others say they are having no problems, I'm curious.  My questions are: 1.  Are you using your own computer? 2.  Is it Vista, XP or Windows 7? 3.  Are you having problems with 6.1 being slow? I guess I'm hoping to hear that my computer will ru ...

I Would Like To Take A Poll
Oct 08, 2010

Hello, I would like to take a poll on who would like to talk to the QA people about your feedback?   Or do you not want to talk to the QA people?     ...

MT Poll
Dec 23, 2011

I am curious as to the status of other MTs around the country.  If you are a regular production-paid MT working as an employee or IC for a transcription company (i.e. not a team lead, supervisor, owner, etc.), I would appreciate your feedback in this little poll. How many years have you been in this business? What company do you currently work for? What platform (if any) do you currently work with? How many lines per hour do you average? How many hours a week do you work? What is your ...

Re THE POLL
Dec 23, 2011

For all of you who screamed (yes I heard it as screaming or whining) about the purpose, ulterior motives, etc.  For gawd's sake, if you are posting anonymously, what does it matter to give the particular information the poster asked for?  No, I'm not the OP and I'm not an MTSO, don't own a suit.  Just someone who can't figure out how some of you get through life being outright miserable, suspicious, and unhappy.  Sharing info with another MT (or even ...

How About A Poll?
Oct 17, 2012

Like this message if you believe there is no future in MT and that the best plan is to escape.  Dislike this message if you believe in MT and think what we need to do is unionize or use some other means to try to save it. ...

Poll: A $38,000 Course?
Apr 06, 2013

For the posters here looking into other fields of employment and/or courses, what would you do if you were contimplating getting into a field that you were not thoroughly in the know about, and an online university offered a couse in that field for $38,000? ...

POLL: How Many Are MEs Vs MTs? (sm)
Jun 17, 2013

For those who still do MT work, I'm curious to know what your work situation is, inhouse, outhouse with MTSO, IC with direct contracts to MDs/facilities? ...

Something Of A Poll, But What Would You Do If You
Jun 12, 2014

knew you were about to be fired?  Stop right then, keep working??  I am just curious. ...

Can We Do A Pay Poll?
Oct 30, 2014

I think it will help us all to know where we stand.  Maybe put a range of experience first, like 1-5 years, 6-10 years, 11-15 and 15+ and then your Regular/SR rate (not including any eve or weekend differentials).  I'll start:  11-15 years of experience.  0.0825 regular/ 0.0465 SR. For me, this is a pay cut recently.  I was working at a different company until recently, making .09 regular and .05.  Even though I know this MT thing is going down, it still suck ...

Poll
Jan 15, 2015

I got dinged on an audit for putting 4 x 4s, was told it should be 4 x 4's.  Just wondering what the concensus is. ...

Okay, Forget The Poll. Must Be The Only One
Jul 24, 2010

Glad you all are doing great in your jobs and have work. ...

Poll. Whether Or Not This Is A Cut In Pay Rate For You. Sm
Dec 11, 2012

So, we can remain anon. Please click on like if your pay rate was NOT cut. Please click on dislike if your pay rate was cut. Thanks for your attention. ...

Annoyance Poll
May 28, 2014

What annoys you most on posts? Not just here, but anywhere on the Internet?  For some reason, it annoys the heck out of me what someone ends a post with *sigh* but *LOL* doesn't bother me in the least.  I don't know why. ...

Very Curious Poll For QC
May 19, 2015

I am curious to see answers from other QC on the questions below:  Have you in the past had a very good audit score, only in the last few weeks all of a sudden have become incompetant with failing audits? Have you quit yet or plan to? Do you just plan to get an additional job to make up the diff? Are you completely fine with the whole thing, have great % and great LPH? ...

Poll: How Many Have Been Working For MQ More Than 3 Years.
Jan 01, 2010

I started out in 1989 with one company who merged with that company who bought out that company and then merged with that company known as The MRC Group who merged with Transcription Limited who is now known as MQ.  ...

Poll: Spelling Pet Peeves
Sep 24, 2010

These drive me nuts when I see them! "I could care less" ... WRONG!  It is "I could not/couldn't care less" --  In other words, there is no more "caring" left!  LOL Rediculous ... WRONG!   It is "ridiculous." Pleural when "plural" is needed! You're vs your.   You're stands for "you are"!  Your is a possessive! Ok.  Your turn!   ...

Line Count Poll
Aug 24, 2011

I'm wondering if some of you could share with me what your company line per hour requirements are.  Precyse now requires 240 lines for the voice recognition crap and 160 for the straight transcription crap and if you don't meet those requirements you are history.  I'm curious as to what everyone else is expected to do for the privilege of eeking out a living.   Thanks! ...

Poll: Anyone Happy? Share Please.
Mar 29, 2014

There are times I do enjoy the work. However, I have a few failed audits, performance management for lines, and NJA, so lately not too thrilled. I just wish it would get better. Sometimes I too would like to quit, but just keep plugging along. For me, at least it is some income adding to the pot, and that is a blessing. I often wonder would I save more money not working-dinner out due to no time to cook, lunch out due to no time for grocery store-you know the drill.  Anyhow, trying to have ...

Poll: Companies With Current Ads While Their MTs Have NO Work!
Feb 20, 2011

nm ...

Quick Poll - QA Percentage Requirements
Jan 23, 2012

Is industry standard now a requirement of 99% accuracy for the usual employee review to maintain employment or (heaven forbid) achieve a bonus? 97%, 98%, or 99%.  Just curious. ...