A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shortcuts for M-Modal VR - hillary

Posted: Feb 26, 2012

I am trying to learn as many shortcuts as possible to get faster on M-Modal VR. Anyone out there with any tips or shortcuts could you please share?? So far I have been using: CTRL shift "I" - Slow down dictation. CTRL "I" - Speed up dictation. CTRL and arrow keys. CTRL Shift "H" for heading toggle. CTRL Shift "A" for caps toggle. CTRL Delete for word to the right. CTRL Backspace to delete word to the left. And then I use my expansions. Anyone have any other tips or tricks/shortcuts to help me increase my speed. I am not one to surf the web or multitask while working. I usually sit still and only get up to go to the bathroom or heat up coffee. The last couple of days I got permission to take an hour break from my CCM and I noticed that helped to increase production a little, but still not up to par. I can make productivity, but at VR rate, I gotta do much more than just meet the quota. Only been on VR for a month and a half. Never done editing until now. But have been an MT for 9yrs and don't have to spend much time looking things up. Suggestions??

My only suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Find a different job. Sorry, but VR is a scam and many, many people are leaving the field due to VR. Your paycheck will just go down, down, down. This company has done nothing but lie about it. Some companies have an accuracy rate required for doctors to be allowed on it but as far as I can tell MModal is anything goes. When it first came out, they did have a rate of 85% and you could F11 the report and have doctors removed that didn't meet that, but then I think it was such a bad program that they saw that most doctors couldn't meet that and blamed it on us for abusing F11 and basically force us to do all the docs on ASR. There may be a few, very few, who have some alright work, but all in all the program sucks and they are scamming us. They will always try to blame you for it.

Your best bet is to get out if you can or expect lousy paycheck, constant pay cuts and you being blamed for everything.

ctrl z - undo

[ In Reply To ..]
lot easier than erasing.
Ctrl K will add a period after a word, but not a sentence. Handy in med or allergy lists.
Good luck!

Ctrl M and Ctrl Shift M - moves cursor or voice

[ In Reply To ..]
My absolute favorite

The first thing to do if you haven't is to turn off sm - mqmt

[ In Reply To ..]
the higlighter. That thing slows you down and my sister-in-law who works on 16 accounts for the Q does 350 lph.

Sorry M*Modal I am not here to teach the machine to do anything, I am here to make money. Haven't had the highligter on for over 3 years!

I second that. Another hint is make your own - headings.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I recently got an email not to - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I recently got an email from CCM telling us to use the headings from the headings list or the standards menu or the back-end formatting would not work. I have been using my own headings for years, don't know why just now I'm not supposed to use mine anymore and use theirs when available. Another screw up by the IT people costing us more keystrokes = less money.
thats cause they dont pay us for headings - make your own that match
[ In Reply To ..]
If you use them off the heading list, I dont believe we get paid. If you make your own that are the same, I believe we get paid.
Thanks! - hillary
[ In Reply To ..]
these are all the kinds of replies I was hoping for. CTRL Z, turning the highlighter off, and I had totally forgotten all about he CTRL M and CTRL shift M, as I am forever losing my cursor (can hardly see the darn thing).

If there is anymore out there keep them coming. I'm sure this thread can help others besides me. Thanks again!
You have to make headings - donna
[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way around not creating headings. You have to follow your client specs and if you are one to type verbatim, then you will be using headings other than the MQ headings.

i.e. EEGs, PFTs,some Cardiology reports - There is'nt always headings for those type of reports and will require instances where you will be using headings other than MQ headings.

Also I think what the other poster meant was shortcut your own headings in the expansion. I dont know about anyone else, but I personally cannot remember all the names for MQ headings so I make my own as well. Either that or toggle them.

how do you upload without using the mouse and actually clicking "upload" - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there is a shortcut key combination for uploading and sending a report without having to actually use the mouse to click "upload" and having use the mouse again to click "yes" in order to send the report?

What's the shortcut key combination for that?
ctrl+U to upload - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Then remember the shortcut keys when going through spellcheck. alt+(whatever letter is underlined on the button). Then hit enter to send it and enter again to download next job. Once you get this down, you speed up. It took me a bit as I was a mouseclicker, but it certainly helped.
I could kiss you : ) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been trying forever to figure out a quicker way to uploading and sending those reports.

I was subject to call one of the trainers and ask them, so thank you so much for this info, greatly appreciated.

highlighter - nlk

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you elaborate? not sure how the highlighter would slow you down...doesn't it just make it easier to follow along?
Click F1 key - It will show you some shortcuts
[ In Reply To ..]
Another thing that is very handy is if you need to turn off the highlighter temporarily for some reason, while holding down the alt key, key in the letters TOSWO, rather than going into tools and using the mouse to click through the steps to the highlighter off. I had to use a mnemonic device to remember it at first, The Ox Sat While Operating...or whatever it takes to remember it. When you want to turn the highlighter back on, just do the same thing. HTH
To upload split job without using the mouse - hold ctrl shift and U
[ In Reply To ..]
be sure your cursor is at the bottom of the page before you do it.
Should of posted here a long time ago - hillary
[ In Reply To ..]
this is all helpful stuff,thank you all for sharing this information. I have been putt-putting along with just the few shortcuts I wrote down from training.

next turn off skip markers - not here to teach either

[ In Reply To ..]
Under tools and options and speech recogition. The only box I have clicked is the accelerated silence playback, but I still use Ctrl-M to move the voice faster. The markers will still be there and if you hit backspace or delete or whatever but you won't see them. No more worrying about putting a space after or not.

Here to make money too.

turning off highlight - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
I am curious how having the highlighting on slows you down...I thought it just helped you follow along..

Ctrl-K toggles punctuation - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
At the end of word when you use Ctrl- K it will toggle between a period, comma and colon and a semicolon and will automatically capitalize the first letter of the next word with the period.

Ctrl-L is your list maker, all you do then is hit enter and it will number then correctly on the back end formatting.

Check out all the underlined letters in words on the ADT screen and use the Alt key to get to it. Alt-S to search, Alt-I for additional info, Alt-R to change the work type, Alt-O for okay, etc. All I did was try to learn 1 a day and now I never use my mouse. WAY faster.

Great infor, but I dont understand - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
what you mean when you say "Check out all the underlined letters in words on the ADT screen and use the Alt key to get to it"

What underlined letters? I am off today, but will definitly be applying a lot of the info from this thread 2mrrw when I work. Can someone answer what she meant by the above though?

you need to be in the screen to understand - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In the "Dictated For" section the F is underlined, meaning you can use Alt-F to access the blank and fill it in instead of using your mouse. On the bottom the word "okay" has the O underlined meaning when you are done filling out the demographic page you can use Alt-O to get to the next page. On the right side of the page it even says things like Alt-M or Alt-I to access the mandatory ADT or the additional ADT. You are able to move around the entire demographics page without using your mouse. Ctrl-S is search for patient (the S is underlined). You just need to play with it.

Also, when you use spellcheck look for the underlined letters too. The c in "change" is underlined meaning use Atl-C to change it or Alt-G to ignore(The G is underlined in ignore).

The entire DocQscribe program is set up to keep your hands on the keyboard and not use your mouse at all. If you forget which key does what just look for the underlined letter or use F1 to look at a full list.

M*Modal editing tips - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Make a simple macro to combine the highlighter to voice (I use jj, easy for my fingers to reach and use).

Make macros for all of your headers/subheaders.

Make a simple key combo to make a numbered list.

I have macros to take everything to the left of the cursor and make it a header or a subheader. Also, macros to take 1 word to the right to make it header/subheader, 2 words the same, 3 words the same (I called it h1, h2, h3, you get the idea).

A macro to delete 1 word to the right, 2 words to the right, all the way up to 6 words.

A macro that will copy all the diagnoses and paste them in (for instance postop diagnosis where they say "same"), I have copy commands for copying up to 8 diagnoses with just a few keystrokes.

There are more, but this will speed up your editing a lot!

Can you explain how to do this? - hillary

[ In Reply To ..]
You said:
"I have macros to take everything to the left of the cursor and make it a header or a subheader. Also, macros to take 1 word to the right to make it header/subheader, 2 words the same, 3 words the same (I called it h1, h2, h3, you get the idea)."

I have read about people doing this on the board before, but I guess I need a step by step instruction on how to do this? Hope you come back to answer, I know how to create expansions, but this sounds like a bit of a different technique.

Thanks and great tips.

A macro to delete 1 word to the right, 2 words to the right, all the way up to 6 words.

how to create macros - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on what software you are using. I actually work for another company that uses M*Modal, and a group of us worked together to come up with many of these tips. Some use SH and some use IT. For both of these programs, if you do not know how to do this, you can use "edit in client" when your window is open, and it records every step you take. For SH, you use Ctrl + K to open up a box to record keystrokes like Ctrl + shift, Ctrl + arrow, etc.) For IT, you click on command, then keyboard shortcut.

Some of the most useful to me have been creating the headers or subheaders. Often M*Modal does not put the words in header format. The one I use most often would be for instance:
abdomen soft.

The word is already there. With your cursor after abdomen, create your macro by first highlighting to the beginning of the line, then use your command for header or subheader, then use your command to capitalize the entry (if a header) then right arrow to go to the next line. We had a group of us who worked together and these were some of the top edits that we use the most often.

Other editing hints are similar to some of those above, creating a short to add hyphens to para where the numbers are all together, adding hyphens to phone numbers, etc.

You can copy the dx and paste them - much easier

[ In Reply To ..]
For example:
Preoperative Diagnosis
Fractured humerus

Postoperative Diagnosis
(hold down ctrl & shift and hit x)

This will put in however many dxs in the first list. If you highlight where it says "same" first it will remove that word and add the dxs.

Yeah I cannot find a place where the macro thing is - quicker than an expansion

[ In Reply To ..]
But I am stupid now and make no money so go figure. Wish somebody could show us what they mean and how it works and how it is more productive.
macro is an expansion sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
First, it really depends on what expansion program you are using. Both SH and IT can execute commands (macros) and they function exactly the same as an expansion.

So for instance if you had say 3 words just printed that were not made into a header that should be, you have a short you can expand from your SH or IT. I probably should not be using the term "macro" here. For instance, I named my shorts for doing this in SH h3 (this highlights the 3 words to the right of the cursor, executes the command to make it a header, capitalizes it, goes to the end of the word, then an arrow to take you out of the header and to the next line, ready to type). All of this is done in the blink of an eye by typing h3(you can name it anything you want, it IS just an expansion, only with code in it).

If someone has either SH or IT, and wants it explained in more detail how to do this, let me know, I am familiar with both programs. Any task you have that takes multiple steps you can put in your SH or IT and name it something easy, and instead of doing the series of steps, just type your short.

Similar Messages:

DQS ASR Shortcuts
Jan 11, 2012

I have so much pain in my left hand from doing the Ctr Shift M shortcut to get the cursor to the spot the audio is (or at least in the vicinity). I use my left pinkie finger to push Ctr and Shift and my right hand to push M. Another new repetitive action injury...... I would like to fix. ...

Keyboard Shortcuts
Sep 12, 2010

I read on one of these boards (darned if I can find if) something about using keyboard shortcuts. Several people mentioned they us ????. Unfortunately all I can rember is it started with an A and had 3 letters!!! Sorry, the brain does not remember what else there was to it. Any of you smart ladies out there figure out what I am trying to say??? Thanks for the help! ...

PRINTING SHORTCUTS!!!
Oct 07, 2010

Good morning/afternoon MQ co-workers!   I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way I can print out my personal dictionary of shortcuts?  I have so many that I think I'm putting in duplicates now!  I'd really like to see what I've got and eliminate/add only relevant shortcuts. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!   (Have a blessed day)!!  ...

Shortcuts For SR At Mmodal
Jan 21, 2013

Is there a website where the shortcuts for SR are listed?  I have lost mine, and need them again. ...

Bayscribe Shortcuts
Apr 10, 2014

I just got a new computer and when I went into Bayscribe I find that I have none of my hundreds of shortcuts I have been putting in over the last few years.  Any idea how to get them to show up on my new computer?   I know there has to be a way to transfer them.  Thanks for any assistance I can get.  ...

VR Shortcuts For EScription 11
Oct 25, 2014

I recently started a job that uses editscript 11 or eScription 11.  Some of the jobs are coming through as VR and I've never done VR on eScription before so I dont know any of the shortcuts. Would someone please be kind enough to provide me with the shortcuts? Even the basics would help till I'm able to find them on my own, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a place within the eScription platform where I can look them up?    ...

Shortcuts For Pharmacologic & Pharmacotherapy
Nov 16, 2009

I am working really hard on expanding my shortcuts to save time. So, 3-word phrases such as "thanks in advance" are "TIA", and 2-word phrases use the first 2 letters of each of the 2 words, such as "lesh" for left shoulder. What do I do with single words? That's the general question. My second question has to do with specific single words, "pharmacotherapy" and "pharmacologic". What would you put in your auto-correct options to make those words a short cut? TIA! :) ...

Useful Word Shortcuts, Especially For Newbies!
May 15, 2010

Came across this article on another forum - has a list of useful word shortcuts. Quite a handy list, particularly for newbies. Thought I'd share! http://hubpages.com/_hubmis/hub/Useful-Microsoft-Word-Shortcut-Keys-To-Save-Time ...

EditScript And Shortcuts Versus The Old Way
Mar 21, 2012

I've been using Edit script for a couple months now (like it)  and everytime I start using alt K and the other shortcuts I end up reverting back to my old ways (mouse), because it just seems faster for me.  I use the arrow keys, but still use the mouse because it seems like it requires less thought.  Is anyone else struggling with this?   ...

Where Can I Find A List Of The Shortcuts?
Apr 04, 2012

I use some of them but cannot find where they are listed so I can print them out. Thanks so much! ...

ChartNet - Cannot Get Any Shortcuts To Work
Apr 17, 2012

I'm new to ChartNet.  MTSO sent a list of instructions but I cannot get any shortcuts to work.  I am editing and really could use all the help I can get.  Thanks! ...

New Computer - Bayscribe Shortcuts Gone. Help!
May 31, 2012

I had to get a new computer, and now when I log in to Bayscribe, all my shortcuts are gone.  I don't want to have to start all over.  Any tips?  Thanks! ...

DQS - Shortcuts Quit Working
Aug 05, 2012

anyone ever have that happen?  What can I do to make them start again?  Any and all help appreciated. ...

Anyone Else Having Problems With Some Shortcuts Not Working
Aug 12, 2012

seems to be the longer ones...like I do shortcuts to fix where ASR doesnt put commas risks benefits and alternatives is the one I am playing with now, it will not add the commas on the shortcut I made. ...

PC Shortcuts Abbreviation Expander ?
Sep 24, 2012

Does anyone know where to purchase PC shortcuts or maybe its called shortcuts abbreviation expander ?  I can't seem to find it on the internet.   Thanks ...

Shortcuts, Icons & Links. Oh My!
Nov 18, 2012

I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for shortcut methods to sites online for research while working. I had been using a Yahoo Toolbar, but gave that up when I found out it is slowing things down. I'd like to hear what others are for quick links that are alternates to a toolbar. Has anyone found any add ons that don't take up a lot of resources? I'm having to use an old XP computer for client compatibility. Using Firefox ISP which is great but in creating a toolbar for ...

Thoughts On The Mentoring To Get You To Use Shortcuts
Jan 11, 2013

Any thoughts on the mentoring to get you to use shortcuts and keeping track how many times you use them?  My line counts are well over the minimum, but I feel like I am being forced to use these, otherwise it reflects badly on me. ...

ExEditor/DocQScribe Shortcuts
Mar 20, 2013

Do you know of a way to convert the shortcuts from ExEditor to DocQScribe?  I'm changing platforms and would like to take my shortcuts with me.  My IT department appears to be clueless in this regard.  ...

Bayscribe Lost Shortcuts
Apr 12, 2014

I just switched from a Windows XP computer to Windows 7.  When I log into Bayscribe, all my expansions are gone.  This has happened to be before and I've never figured out how to get them back.  I don't want to have to start from scratch again.  I've done the Alt+U thing, but I must be doing something wrong.  :( ...

Fluency Keyboard Shortcuts
Jul 14, 2014

Does anybody know the keyboard shortcut to just minimize the web search window opened from within Fluency?  I know how to close it, but I want to just minimize it in case I need to look at what I found again. Thanks! ...

Extraocular Movements/muscles - Your Shortcuts?
Jun 14, 2010

Of course, half of my doctors have to say movements and other half says muscles.  What are your shortcut abbreviations for the 2 different phrases "extraocular m_______s are intact"?  ...

Docuscribe Shortcuts-Do They Really Save Time
Apr 05, 2012

I am using some of these but still use the mouse.  Does everyone else do this or do you find that it is more productive to use all those shortcut keys? Thanks so much.  Going broke here. ...

Audio Playback Keyboard Shortcuts
Oct 16, 2012

Does anybody know what the keyboard shortcuts are to stop and start audio playback in DQS? I know I have done it by accident before, and it keeps playing, unlike if you use the foot pedan where you have to hold it down the whole time.   I have never liked having to hold the pedal down.  I was used to Express Scribe, where you can tap to start and stop and don't have to keep your foot pressed down.  Now I am standing up some of the time while working to avoid s ...

ShortCuts For Windows Word Expander
Apr 08, 2014

I purchased ShortsCuts for Windows word expander back in 1999. It will not work with Vista or anything after that. I tried contacting the company I purchased it from but had no luck. Does anyone have this software or have changed to something similar where you were able to transfer you database? I have used IT Pro but they are expensive and will only give you a download. Thanks!! ...

Creating Shortcuts In Fusion/Synernet
Jul 02, 2014

I am attemtping to create shortcuts for routinely used text (HPI - history of present illness...) in Fusion (Synernet), but the reference guide and card are not helpful. Can anyone please tell me (simply please!) how to create canned text in this program/platform? ...

Voice Recognition - What Shortcuts Can Be Used To Save Time?
Mar 06, 2010

I am now switching to cpl from an hourly rate.  What short cuts can be used to save time?  Wondering about voice recognition to be used by a transcriptionist! Has anyone heard of a transcriptionist using this type of software to complete reports faster and then editing these as you listen??? Just wondering!   ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

M*Modal VR
Sep 25, 2010

I have another question.  When one does a draft in VR, does MT get paid for all lines in the draft or would an MT get paid if it has to be edited.  I will be trying to learn this in the next few weeks and I am scared to death I will not catch on and then I might be without a job.   I have a feeling I might not get paid for the whole draft report.  Then again it may depend on the company.  Any opinions please.   Thanks  ...

The M*Modal Man...
Jan 24, 2012

...looks like he's dropping a deuce.  Sorry, but he does.   Also, how do you pronounce the name of the company?  I say it to rhyme with immobile - immodal.   ...

Does Anyone Know Anything About M*Modal?
Feb 08, 2012

Does anyone know anything about M*Modal? I have never heard of them and would like some input. Thanks. ...