A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Repeat to: MT profession vs. cleaning toilets. - Tidy-bowl lady

Posted: Oct 18, 2011

See, this is a perfect example. Great!! - So we have people willing to make the same amount doing medical transcription as cleaning toilets. That makes me feel better after 15 years of experience. No wonder this profession is in the toilet. They hire people with 1 year of experience and Cbay "stipens" their people for 6 months only then puts them in a production environment. Good luck to patients getting accurate medical records is all I can say. This will not go over in the longrun, guaranteed. Unfortunately, we do have to deal with it until somebody with some power and/or inaccurate medical records gets the guts to actually do something about it. I don't care how good you think you are...fact is, the only way to get proficient is to have transcription time under your belt, and 6 months, even a year, is not enough to be let go on your own. Very sad they charge you for sending reports to QA. Although, doesn't really matter now in the whole MT profession, it really does pay the same as cleaning toilets, so it's just up to you which you would rather do at this point.

I agree with you wholeheartdely - but....

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, in this greedy, money grubbing society we live in, not even having accurate medical records trumps making all that money that the suits and docs are making by cheapening the labor they pay the MTs. I don't think anything will ever happen to bring the work back on shore. Too much money is being made by the higher ups and investors. Our republican congress had a perfect opportunity this past year to pass a bill that was presented before them that would put big enough taxes on people who outsource American work that it would not be worth it for them to outsource it anymore, and it FAILED to pass in both branches of congress. Having said that, even though congress is under republican control, the majority of democrats did not vote for it either. Pitiful!! I think that when the majority of Americans are living in poverty because our jobs went over seas and we don't have any money to spend in the economy, only then might someone open their eyes to the problem. But again, by then we will have 2 classes - the mega rich and the rest of us, so as long as the mega rich are making their millions, I don't guess they care where it is coming from, overseas or wherever. Anyways, Tidy Bowl lady,good luck to you and good luck to us all!

agree with you - Tidy bowl lady

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a greedy world, no doubt. One thing to mention is that the docs don't get it, they really don't at all! Most of them are not even aware that that their patient's info may be going outside of USA if they are dealing with the Q or nuance. If it isn't in the contract, they have no clue! Guarantee you the Q doesn't offer up the info freely, especically right now with the economy situation. It is a very sad situation and for this reason, I'm applying for anything outside of this industry that pays more, which unfortunately doesn't take much at this point, and have found several options. If you all look, you will too. For what we are getting paid to transcribe for the Q, we could even work at Walmart and make more with more benefits. I know it is hard to look at change, but seriously, all those in the Q who haven't been looking, NEED TO NOW and quickly! EMR rules say they have to be in place by 2012 to get the benefits -- and they are HUGE benefits, but a lot of the docs make more than the benefits, obviously -- so this could be a plus for the MT world. in the long run, for anyone who actually knows docs....SHOCKER.. 2012 ia a new election year and I guarantee you this whole Obama situation will not hold water. Is our industry in an uproar, yes. But more and more people involed who can make a difference are "getting" what is happening here too. Unfortunately they didn't get it before now, but we have to take it for what it is. There have been too many errors made with EMR sending right to insurance, requiring a heck of a lot to get incorrect info changed, etc. ... I KNEW that would be the only thing that would help our industry (unfortunate as it may be), people appealing insurance denials. It's happening now. This whole "EMR requirement" issue is going to be gone by early 2012, which isn't far, in my opinion. SERIOUSLY....okay so yeah, EMR is a good idea in certain aspects...but, when they make docs do this stuff when lower paid people can be doing it and doing it better and more accurately as far as patient care goes (and be happy with it), they are losing money by not being able to see more patients versus the time they (right now for EMR) time spent documenting records. This will sure be interesting how everything comes out -- and since we all as MTs have had to deal with it -- and I know most of us have panicked and looked for jobs outside the industry -- We all should stand up to it and make them pay us better for what we do before we consider going back to it!! We DO make a difference, no matter how small they make us feel. Remember that, all of you MTs!

Facts - India

[ In Reply To ..]
Facts are nobody cares about quality now in MQ. Yeah, it could get you fired, but it's all up to the people in power. AHDI changed the whole auditing system to accomodate India, so - do better than they do and you'll be fine is the gist of it.

Similar Messages:

Have You Ever Hated A Job So Bad That Cleaning Toilets
Oct 26, 2010

is more appealing? ...

Help! Cleaning Out My CDs And Not Sure What Some Of Them Are
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone please tell me if any of these are necessary to keep, and what they are if I should keep them: Roxio creator DE 10.2 HP Compaq Business Desktop Documentation CD Sonic RecordNow 6.5 Software (Reinstall) Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Dell Tools System Software (Reinstall) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Reinstall) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a (Reinstall) V.9 Capable/56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Win ...

Log On! Log Off! Log On! Log Off! Repeat!
Jan 31, 2013

Wheeew!! This is such a dream job! Working 10-12 hours to get 8! Gotta keep plugging to pay Vern's bonuses!  Wheeew!! ...

Take Out Repeat Sentence?
Oct 15, 2009

Peripheral neuropathy. I am going to go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test.   Ulnar neuropathy. He is tentatively scheduled, according to his report, to have decompression done by Dr. Labosky.   I am going go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test. ...

Repeat S/l Airline(?)
Nov 02, 2012

Is "airline" correct? air line? ear line? error line? bleh AUDIOMETRY:  A repeat (s/l airline) in the right ear today is precisely the same as the last test. IMPRESSION:  Asymmetric high-frequency hearing loss to the right ear with associated tinnitus and right aural fullness of uncertain etiology. ...

At Her 2-year From The End Of Treatment Anniversary, We Will Repeat
May 15, 2012

At her "2-year from the end of treatment" anniversary, we will repeat an MRI.  At her "2-year-from-the-end-of-treatment" anniversary, we will repeat an MRI. Should I rephrase?  ...

Those Who Forget The Past Are Condemned To Repeat It
Apr 28, 2015

I know I saw a post when the Swap Board first came back as to why it was stopped the first time.  I cannot find it now.  We have message that it is not working the way they wanted it to work.  Imagine that. ...

Pt Scheduled For Repeat ORIF Left Femur - Please Sm
Apr 12, 2010

Patient is now scheduled for repeat ORIF with replacement of femoral rod and tibial strut bone grafting with application of s/l dull-miles cables.  Thanks! ...

Wegener’s Disease - Patient Will Get Repeat S/l EN/GOB ??
Feb 10, 2012

Patient will get repeat NGOB or ang/gob ?? I am wondering if this is some sort of abbreviation for a test of some sort to follow the Wegener's.  Thanks! ...

The Pt Will Have Repeat DLCO2 Testing. I Can Only Find DLCO. Is This Correct? ~nm
Apr 04, 2010

xx ...

Our Profession
Jun 12, 2010

When I look at our profession now -- what it has devolved into -- and compare its present condition with how it was just 20 years ago, the contrast is STAGGERING. With enhanced technology, medical transcription -- and, by extension, patient care -- should have improved by leaps and bounds, both in terms of TAT and QUALITY.  Only half of that has been met: the decreased TAT.  QUALITY has been compromised to such a degree that it is SHAMEFUL.  My current employer has ...

New Profession
May 02, 2013

i am waiting until i have three weeks of vacation saved up untiil i can start a nurses aid training course.  it may be foolish, but i am paying my tuition to them in increments so i will not have such a big bill when the tuition comes due.  they start classes once a month. i have been appling for jobs all over the place, not transcription.  i do get a lot of "thanks but no thanks" form letters.  i am getting discouraged. i am on the sunny-side of 60 (59 next month) and hopi ...

I'm Out Of This Profession!
May 29, 2014

I start a new non-transcription job next week.  Today is my last day at this lousy company and I am finally doing what I've dreamt about doing for a long time - I'm typing everything EXACTLY as the doctor is dictating it.  They want verbatim, they are getting verbatim.  I'm not fixing a single thing and I just don't care at all. It's wonderful! Let the doctors see how idiotic they sound sometimes.  And don't anyone bother to admonish me about how ...

Need Advice: Considering The Profession
Jan 28, 2010

Hello, I sure would appreciate your guidance!  I am trying to change careers and am in the process of deciding what to go to school for.  I thought MT would be a great idea and suited my lifestyle, but a lot of what I read here tells me the profession is shrinking, and newbies out of school struggle to find work.  (I am in FL, with huge medical demands, btw.) What I had planned, was to complete my course (local community college online) and find entry level work, if possible.&nbs ...

We Need To Demand More Pay As A Profession
Aug 06, 2010

Just need to vent. I have been a medical transcriptionist since the late 1980s and I have seen the trend to cut our pay consistently over the years. It look over 20 years for me to gain the experience I have, in most specialities I might add.  It is very disconcerting to have a company offer 7 to 8 cpl with my experience.   Now, with voice recognition (which it seems most of the larger companies out there have), our pays are cut even more so.  I might add, at least for me, ...

Is This Profession Even Worth It?
Nov 19, 2010

I have to say this is my first time to this website and I am deeply discouraged by the forums I have read because it sounds like this line of work is basically dying a slow death. I am currently enrolled in a community college and am about to finish getting my certificate ( I am in my last class which is practice/internship) to become a Medical Transcriptionist but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it? I already had fears because of accounts going offshore and EMRs but reading some of ...

Getting Out Of MT. Which Profession Would You Pursue?
Mar 18, 2011

I have narrowed it down to medical diagnostic sonographer (2 year degree, not sure what degree name is) or AA degree in Health Information Management (RHIT). ...

Are There Any MTs That Are Happy With This Profession?
Apr 24, 2012

I was researching this profession, thinking maybe it was something I wanted to do. But it seems like everyone already in this field dislikes their job. ...

Been A While Since I Left The Profession
Aug 27, 2012

It's been 7 years. Thinking of doing an at-home AHDI program for "recent" experience. Are experienced MTs having difficulty finding jobs? I read a post of an experienced MT on this board claiming to have difficulty finding work. That was not the case when I left this profession 7 years ago. There were more jobs than qualified MTs to fill them. What has happened? ...

This Profession Is Pathetic
Jun 23, 2013

Cannot believe it, I am 60 years old, been doing this almost 40 years and I sat down last night and really checked things over and now with NJA all the time, my monthly bills are not covered by my 2 pay checks a month.  I do not have a high mortgage ($240 a month, can't rent a room for that), I have basic cable that is bundled with the internet (which we all need to do this job), the very minimum of phone bill ($40), and have to pay for my own health insurance (as my company  ...

The MT Profession Has Really Gone Down The Tubes
Oct 30, 2013

The MT profession has really gone down the tubes.  I have no desire to do this anymore and that's why I've been training for other things.  These Quality Control people have nit picked to the point I just cannot stand it anymore (forgetting "the" or taking out "the") and the other extremely petty crap that they ding for (and it has no bearing on patient care whatsoever).  Who wants to work like this anymore (and for the rotten pay on top of that to boot)?  It never used to be like ...

Need A Change In Profession
Jun 03, 2015

Are there any coding companies that provide on the job training?  Is schooling required to become a coder?   Are coders paid hourly or piecemeal like an MT?   I have to get out of the MT industry for obvious reasons, but I really need something that I can move straight to without going to school and still work from home.  Any information is appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription - Done With This Profession
Jun 08, 2010

My name is Carol  and I am a medical transcriptionist from Maryland.  I am very upset as I am typing this.  I am done with this profession.  I suspect that is what they want.  I have a family to feed.  No more playing games with stupid VR and accounts that sneakily send the work overseas due to corporate greed.  No person who does that could ever call themselves patriotic or American, but I bet they do.  I have been doing this and doing it well for over 20 years.  In no other vocation ...

This Is Contributing To The Decline In The Profession Too!!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I am so angry right now!!  I was just looking through ads and somehow ended up on Freelancer.com - people are over there BEGGING for jobs that pay $25 per audio hour (tops) or are entering bids for 35 hours of transcription at $0.20 per audio minute!!  Really?  Have you done the math?? UGH!!! The best was an Indian site that was asking for a medical transcriptionist with a 48 hour TAT paying...wait for it....wait for it....$1.50 cpl!!!!  I had the best time reading those ...

What Do List As Your Profession On Tax Forms? Sm
Mar 09, 2011

medical transcriptionist, transcriptionist, medical editor, ASR editor ?  not sure what I even am anymore other than underpaid, frustrated, and stressed beyond human comprehension (wish I could put that on the form !! HA). ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...

Any At-home-profession Graduates
Oct 15, 2011

I am looking for any one who has completed the AHP program and is currently employed. I need any advice you are willing to give. Thanks for your time. ...

Hang MT As A Dying Profession. I'm Going To Be MA.
Oct 30, 2012

At least MA skills can be used for other things and can be a stepping stone to other careers, and you can get a da** job almost anywhere. Sick of being sold down the river by hospitals whose administration doesn't have the stones to tell you they're getting rid of you, but throw out vague hints now and expect you to catch on, so 2 years later they can say "well we told you to look into further education..." My hospital can kiss my posterior. I'm a very darn good MT and th ...

Leap Of Faith - If You Are In The MT Profession
Oct 13, 2013

If you are in the MT profession and you just cannot seem to make a living, then this message is for you.  I took a leap of faith that I pray will pay off in the long run.  I quit!!!  I flat out quit.  Then, I got a call from Nuance and I refused to go back.  No more low payi!  No more working every Saturday and Sunday just to break even!!! No more QA audits for every T and dotted I.  NO MORE!!!!.  No more overworked supervisors sending 15 emails a day!!!!  NO MORE!!  I took a leap of f ...