A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MModal vs Nuance - Coming down the pipe

Posted: Aug 26, 2014

I'm a Nuance employee and know that our companies are constantly competing to be the biggest and (probably) cheapest out there.  So I often will watch this board for trends and other stuff that the big Nuisance will pick up and do themselves. 

Lately I've been seeing a lot of comments about your quality requirements, either being above or moving down to (what could it have been before???) 99.5%.  I'm assuming our scoring is fairly similar, where minor errors are a quarter of a point, major are a full point, and critical are 3 points?  We (Nuance) currently have to keep at 99% or above, but they recently implemented a bonus where if you have higher than 99.5%, you get a certain incentive.  Of course, there are many other qualifications required.

So, I have to wonder what's next for us.  Have you all been able to keep up the 99.5%?  What happens if you don't? 

Performance managed and pay cut - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If we consistently get below 99.5 (previously 99.7) after a warning or two, we are performance managed. All of our work will be sent to QA for 100% proof and you get a paycut. This hasn't happened to me, but per my manager's email a few weeks ago:

"QA submission of greater than 5% of your total lines during a work week will be paid at a reduced rate of $0.03 per line less than your transcription and/or editing base rate.

Employees placed on 100% QA for quality concerns will be paid at the reduced rate."

If that happens to me, I will quit. s/m - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
They already pay crap wages. If they would pay a decent and FAIR wage, MTs would do a better job. With this low pay, you have to bust your butt to make a decent paycheck, and if that means making errors, well - they get what they pay for.

Which is precisely why they're doing this. - Cheaper than laying MTs off.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sooner or later, they're probably going to lay off all of their American MTs and QAs. It's pretty much a given. However, the more MTs they can "encourage" to quit by imposing these absurd requirements on them, the better it is for their precious little bottom line.

If you can do it, you should let them let you go instead - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Then you can collect unemployment while you look for a new job. Quitting is what they would love for you to do.

Greater than 5 percent QA submission? - Dictators better be penalized, too. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Another Nuance MT here. I consistently submit around 5% to QA because of dictators messing up med dosages, lab values, discrepancies in body parts, etc, things that even QA has to leave blank. Let's not even get into the issue of mumblers, speed talkers, and soft speakers. Can't wait to get out of this profession.

I don't see how WE can be legally penalized - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
when we have to submit inaudible or incorrect blanks in dictation, and at the same time be penalized if we DON'T submit those things to QA, causing us to fail an audit. How is it legal?!
Welcome to Corporate America - where the corporations
[ In Reply To ..]
are people, too, and they make the rules
Reply to "Welcome to Corporate America . . . " - eom
[ In Reply To ..]
You got it. Did you happen to see/hear about this little tidbit from the Lone Star State?

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08/23/texas-court-decides-companies-can-legally-lie-to-their-employees/

The odds are against us nm - cherylsue

[ In Reply To ..]

Just Flunked an Audit with 99.5 - Praying for it to End

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for MModal and just 'flunked' an audit with 99.5. I wonder if the numbers are different for different regions or individuals?

It sounds like sm - cherylsue

[ In Reply To ..]
you feel someone is out to get you!

They are most definately different for Indian MTs. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Maybe - Hayley

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what their accuracy requirements are. Regardless, ours should be 99.5. for everyone, I hope!
requirements - thelonelybully
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I hope we are judged fairly and there isn't anything underhanded or unfair going on!

According to Shaw, 99.5 is the - standard, see question

[ In Reply To ..]
below about Shaw & the e-mail

Shaw says 99.5 is passing - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Send an email to your HDSM and your PC. According to Shaw:

The email was sent on 07/11 by MModal Communications. It says:

"A high accuracy score will always be needed to remain an industry leader. However, we feel that we can better serve both our clients and our employees by instituting a small change. In an effort to add additional focus on decreasing the overall blank percentage to our customers, while maintaining a high quality standard, the quality score requirement going forward will be changed to 99.5. In addition to this change, we will also be implementing a Battle of the Blanks Campaign! The campaign contest details are as follows:..."

If its good enough for Shaw - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It should be GOOD enough for your HDSM and your PC.

Don't take their crap! Send it to shaw if you have to.

Is Nuance global? nm - shortblondqueen

[ In Reply To ..]

If you mean, do are they in India? - Yes

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, they are in India. They send quite a few clients to India, some of our QA and QC work is done there, etc.

Thank you - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you to all that replied. I do not envy you guys for the standards they are now requiring. Apparently we're (Nuance employees) are supposed to get some stuff coming down the line in October. Some think it may be a pay increase, but I have a feeling they're going to do something like our MM sister!

Similar Messages:

Not Sure What To Do (Nuance Vs MModal)
Mar 27, 2012

I left MModal when they took over a company I was working for, so really I was only with them for  about 2 weeks.  Now I'm working for a company that Nuance is taking over.  I applied for Nuance and I've been offered a job with them. They are already so disorganized.  Just faxing in the paperwork to them has been a nightmare.  The recruiter is scatterbrained.  The HR dept keep changing things and not faxing me the correct paperwork on what I need to g ...

Nuance Vs MModal
Dec 12, 2013

Just curious - at Nuance, if you fail your audits, do they put you on 100% QA and reduce your salary as they do at MM? ...

MModal ---Nuance
Mar 17, 2014

Rumor has it that now Nuance will purchase MModal!!! OMG... There will be no other company left. Nuance is horrible and now with joining hips with MModal it will be worse for all of us.  I left MModal and now with Nuance and things are not better. MModal will just continue to ruin the industry and send everything offshore or to VR and pay us pennies for our knowledge and hard work. I am tired of sitting around waiting for work only to now be told that MModal will most likely be taken over ...

I Work For Both MModal And Nuance
Dec 11, 2012

And I can tell you with certainty that M*Modal is waaaaaaaay better to work for.  The pay is rotten just like everywhere else, but I have always been treated with complete respect by my bosses and co-workers.  Nuance is the worst job I've ever had, and I've been working for a long time.  They try every way they can to beat you down. Their QA is the worst I've ever experienced.  I have nothing nice to say about them at all. ...

Is This Site Only For Nuance/mmodal MTs
May 08, 2013

Or just a board for MTs in general?  I've never spent a lot of time on here until recently, and the more I read, I started thinking it was really only for those of you at those two places?  I've gotten good info from here and looked for jobs once in awhile but did not want to intrude if it was mainly focused on those two companies. ...

Article About Nuance And MModal
Jul 29, 2014

Take a look at the load of crap they're selling these hospitals! ...

Switch From MModal To Nuance-am I Crazy??
May 20, 2012

I'm considering leaving MModal to go to Nuance, as MModal won't give me a day shift, and Nuance says they do.  Would I be crazy to switch?  Thanks. ...

Mmodal Versus Nuance...any Advice?
Oct 03, 2012

How Long Until Mmodal Gobbles Up Nuance Ya Think?
Oct 15, 2012

eliminate the third biggest so now they have a bigger carrot to dangle.  Face it, Nuance's healthcare is just a drop in the bucket of all their endeavors.  ...

Undercover Boss For Nuance And MModal
May 29, 2013

It would be great if the CEOs of these cheap miserly companies had to trade places with us worker bees for a week or two like on the TV show Undercover Boss and see how long they would last.  That would be an eye-opener.  ...

Wow...Nuance Acquired Probity? Look Out MModal..
Aug 29, 2013

I can't wait to see who wins the war and which one is left standing.  Two classic examples of money hungry, worthless management companies I have EVER worked at.  I hope they BOTH wind up in the trash can bankrupt.  I only wish MTs could band together and make that happen sooner rather than later.  This is all just so senseless.  Ruination of lives..... ...

Is Anyone Happy Working For Nuance? What About Mmodal? And Why?
Sep 21, 2013

i, too, like a couple others on here right now, am wondering what if any transcription companies still out there are good to work for. ...

Is There Anyone Here Working For Nuance Or MModal Who Is Happy With Their Job? Nm
Nov 06, 2013

, ...

Which Company (not MModal) Is The Competition For Nuance?
Jan 13, 2015

I want to work for their biggest competitor and hopefully help in taking contracts away from Nuance and causing them to feel the financial losses that we have been feeling for quite some time. There has to be some company who is growing fast and obtaining some of their clients.  Anyone? ...

Opinions On 3 Companies-Nuance, Transcend And MModal
Feb 01, 2012

I am currently an IC but seeking an employee position that offer a good workflow, decent insurance family rates and retirement plan.  Do any of these 3 companies offer anything like this? I hate going back out into an office but may have to.  It has occured to me as I am getting older that I have no retirement or decent insurance so something has to give. Opinions please. ...

One Less Competitor For Nuance - MModal Files Bankruptcy
Mar 08, 2014

From this morning's Wall Street Journal:  M*Modal, a medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said. M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these peo ...

Nuance Overtaking Transcend..now MModal No Longer #1 In MTSO?
Mar 08, 2012

Wonder why Mmodal even keeps stable of MTs..since clearly they are a VR/EMR company.  I wonder if they could get rid of this dead wait of these irritating typists they have to deal with and just move en masse over to Nuance?  ...

Poll: Which Company Do You Think Is The Lesser Of 2 Evils? MModal Or Nuance? And Why?
Aug 03, 2014

xx ...

POLL: Which Company Do You Think Is The Lesser Of 2 Evils, Nuance Or MModal? And Why?
Aug 03, 2014

x ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...

Does MModal Pay OT? Nm
Oct 02, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Pay For
Oct 17, 2012

nm ...

MModal 6 Cpl
Oct 23, 2012

I just saw that MModal has a tier 3 level where VR is 6 cpl.  Thinking is it worth it to move over when you top out at 4 cpl for acute care here. ...

New To Mmodal
Jan 03, 2013

Would someone mind briefly explaining how the QA penalty works for MModal? ...