A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just a note on the Indian MTs - bye-bye birdie

Posted: Jul 04, 2012

Have been working for a couple of months for a local clinic and there are 2 large hospitals in our area --- one uses in-house transcriptionists and one uses an MTSO.  I can tell without a doubt which reports come from which hospital.  The ones from the in-house MTs look like a user-friendly, readable report, and the MTs initials are readily available at the end of the report.  The quality is exceptional.  I know most of those MTs personally and they all have more than 10 years experience and half of them have more than 25 years experience. The other hospital (who used to use MQ, but not sure who does it now) has reports that are horrible.  I read some of the reports from the MTSO-using hospital and there are mistakes, grammatical and medical, all through them.  They look like a computer-generated report on the back end.  All of the demographic info is hard to discern, and there is nothing resembling an MTs initial in sight.  That said, we also get referrals from smaller clinics which appear to use some sort of point and clinic and Epic program.  They are almost worthless and unreadable.  It is all a lot of sentence fragments with no punctuation or capitalization for the most part.  One report literally had everything run together with no headings or paragraphs. 

I always wondered what our reports looked like to the customers. 

In-house transcriptionists - redmaj

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that keeping work in-house has to be better-you are familiar with the doctors, the way the hospital wants things typed, etc. Even paying benefits, I can't believe they are saving money outsourcing!! How did all that start, anyway? I would love it if hospitals took another look and reconsidered keeping their own trans. department.

cost and integrity of transcription - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. How can they be saving money? When MTs were in-house, clients had just the MTs themselves to pay for.

With an MTSO, clients now have the MTs (the grunts, AKA the backbone and foundation), the supervisors, managers, extra offshoring taxes, bigger IT, and corporate to pay for.

I just don't get it, either.

Besides, once they eliminate the MT altogether, those still involved will start demanding more and more money, and in the end, the clients won't have saved a dime. It's like spending $10 once or spending $2 five times. They're still spending $10.

I'm just waiting to hear about a hospital, MD, NP/PA who gets sued by a patient and has to take these offshore-generated documents to court as their records of treatment. When I first started in MT, about 15 years ago, our #1 goal was accuracy and integrity, so that our clients (hospitals, MDs, PAs/NPs) could depend on those reports completely. Evidence of this is those MDs who don't read their reports and just sign them, because they trust us.

Can providers trust their transcription now? Can we as patients trust our medical records? Are the offshoring "MTs" held to the highest standards and laws of confidentiality as we are?

Google Skip Conover - very seasoned

[ In Reply To ..]
to find out how off-shoring got started in the late 1990s. Conover creeped me out when I read how he hijacked the transcription industry!

Epic vs. Indians.... - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmmm.... is there a difference? They are both bad from what little exposure I've had to them. I lost my account of 10-plus years to Epic (blamed the Indians at the time, but the Internet is a wonderful thing, so I found out what had happened directly off the facility's website) and left the MT field a year ago. Every time someone posts on Facebook about a medical concern I URGE them to get copies of their medical reports. Maybe if enough people start seeing the GARBAGE that is going into their PERMANENT MEDICAL RECORD something good will come of it!

Similar Messages:

Pay For The Indian MTs
Dec 01, 2011

There was a question about MTs pay in India. It is generally dependent on the line count and quality. Direct upload MT transcribing 800 lines per day - Rs. 1.2 (nearly 3 cents)  - 22 working days - Rs. 21,120 (around $600  per month) - greater than 98% accuracy (supposed to be) Only professionals like engineers, doctors, some software guys, etc. get more salary than this. Things are a little different in CBay (Medquist) India.  Irrespective of experience, the MT ...

Indian Vs US QA On ASR
Feb 05, 2012

I just saw a post from last month wondering about what the accuracy level is that Indian MTs have to maintain. On Editscript, expected accuracy is 99% and tolerated accuracy is 98.5%. If your job is marked by QA  as below 98% accuracy, you do not get paid for that job.  Critical/grave/major/minor errors are all assessed per job and factor into accuracy calculations. If you have more than 5 major errors per 2000 lines, you lose the right to work on an account.  Most Indian MTs prod ...

Indian MTs
Jul 03, 2012

Would someone please explain to me exactly why there are so many people in India that can to American transcription? How in the heck are they so proficient in the English language? Heck, 99% of Indian doctors I get couldn't speak a grammatically correct sentence if their life depended on it. I'm not kidding, I would really like to know. ...

Indian QCs
Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have problems with Indian QCs (scores are good with US QCs), such as thinking that they may be deliberately marking errors where none existed originally?  I've tried to copy my reports to check against them when I get Indian QC feedback, but the platform won't allow it.  How does anyone else handle this?? TIA ...

MMEs On Indian MTs
May 04, 2010

Are any other MMEs out there coming across Indian MTs who conveniently leave out portions of dictation, because they don't understand it?  I'm finding words or phrases left out that are completely clear, but a lot of the time is American slang.  Other times, it seems that they make up phrases to fit dictation they don't understand.  Anyone else? ...

Acusis - US Or Indian ?
Aug 03, 2011

Is this company Indian owned or a US company? ...

Has Anyone Actually Seen Indian Work? Is It Really That Bad? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

In the past, it was stated by editors that the work was exceptionally good, except for some terms used more commonly in the US.  I suppose they have more problems on the consults, which is why I've been receiving 15 minute typed consults lately, but at least I have work.  Can anyone objectively state quality of Indian MTs work?  How many here have actually seen the work they produce?        ...

Indian Accents
Oct 22, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with transcribing Indian accents?  Are there any special settings on Express Scribe that might help?  Thanks!  ...

Indian MT Pay Scale
Mar 27, 2013

As best I can calculate, the Indian MTs are started at about $40/week. This is not an error. I looked at both the application from Nuance (which can be found by googling) as well as the exchange rate. So when you see all the "extras" they are offered, try not to be jealous; they can't buy groceries with those extras. Apparently they are as dissatisfied with the management of the MTSOs as are we Americans. The question seems to be how many will continue to work for such low salaries and ...

Why Can't The Indian MTs Do These Crappy- Sm
Oct 04, 2013

Indian dictators and give me some jobs I can understand that don't have to go to QA!!!! ...

Interesting Conversation I Had With An Indian MT
Nov 05, 2009

I received a request to chat on my FB account today.  The person on the other end was an MT in India and he was essentially requesting American MTs to subcontract to him, let him do the work and pay him because (paraphrased) "even if the client doesn't wish the work offshored, there are many ways around this and no one would be the wiser." Anyone else had an encounter such as this?  I did find out he makes about $700/month working 6 days a week, 8 hours a day.  Has an ...

Predictions For MQ After Indian E-mail
Apr 01, 2011

Predictions, next 2 years for MQ: 1.  Another re-structuring.  Most CCMs will lose their jobs, to include middle management. 2.  All old accounts will stay in U.S. unless directed by hospital to go to India (like what happened to my old accounts), but here is the catch:  India management will push for them to go to India! 3.  All easy work will go to India - no exceptions. 4.  All new accounts will go directly to India and only special docs that the Indian ...

Indian Holiday This Weekend
Sep 29, 2011

The only reason there is an incentive running and there is extra work is because the Indian government gives their employees a week off for the holiday and we are expected I mean supposed to be motivated by the incentive to work it for them.  Google the Indian holidays for 2011 and you will see when our next incentive weekend will be- end of October.  Good luck to anyone working, you are welcome to the work I won't be doing. ...

Do Indian MTs Work Weekends?
Nov 19, 2011

My dictations seem a lot easier today on Saturday with a lot of good dictators versus all of the horrible dictators during the week and I was wondering if this could be due to the Indian MTs not working weekends, or maybe it is just my good luck today! ...

Comparision Of SR Rates Of US And INDIAN MTs
Jun 08, 2012

Simple comparison of SR rates of US and INDIAN MTs (M*MODAL) INDIAN RATES... 0.01492646 U.S. dollars = 0.82 Indian rupees Source:  Google. ...

Email/resume From Indian MT...LOL!
Sep 13, 2012

No, I do not hire or send overseas ANY OF MY WORK, but I just received another resume from an Indian MT with her resume and quoting 9 cpl, which is ridiculous. The way I have been seeing it, with their inflated economy and greed, they will cost just as much as we do in the US and ace right out of the playing field... Why would I want to hire an Indian MT for that price? I would not want to send my work over there no matter what price and would rather go out of business then give them even 1 repo ...

Indian Dictators Are Very Frustrating
Oct 03, 2012

Just wondering why there are so many Indian-born dictators here (with thick accents).  Most of the time, I can't understand half of what they're saying... very frustrating.  It's just one long blur.  :p ...

Sad, But I Have Had Good Experience With The Indian
Dec 09, 2012

Sorry - this was supposed to go down below in the Indian tech thread...   One spent almost an hour fixing my problem and wouldn't give up until he did. I told my husband an American tech would've gotten rid of me after about 15 minutes and blamed it on my ISP.  And these techs were very polite, whereas some of the American techs were very snotty and condescending. As I said, I feel disloyal to the American techs, but both of my OS techs were very helpful. And had no languag ...

Being Owned By An Indian Company
Mar 17, 2013

After reading about that poor Swiss woman who was vacationing in India with her husband and being gang raped by 8 men, does anyone else's skin crawl just knowing we work for a company owned by India and their total disregard for women ?? ...

It's Very Sad, But This Is Basically Just An Indian Company
Apr 04, 2013

When you look on FB and look up MModal, the only people who like are Indians, and the only pictures they have are of Indians.  So what does that tell you?  I definitely am leaving this field and am in a court reporting program, but I still have probably another year or maybe a little longer to complete and was just hoping to hold on to this job to make a little bit of money, but that's probably not going to be possible.  Very sad.  Thanks everyone for your tips about the ...

Just Had An Indian IT Support Degrade Me After
Apr 11, 2013

I cannot wait when I am finished with college. Anyway, I cannot get in to work.  IT tells me what to do and  tells me how I can change my password anytime.  WHICH BY THE WAY I CAN'T!!!!!  BECAUSE IT FRICKEN BLOCKS ME!!!!! Then he yells at me and cuts me down when I went back in to see if I could change my password and indian IT yells at me and states in his UGLY TONE (WHY ARE YOU GOING IN TO THE PASSWORD WHEN I, I, I, "ALREADY" CHANGED IT!) Guess what?? I wanted to go ...

I Did Some Research And It Looks Like The Indian MT's Make
Sep 06, 2013

about $3.00 an hour!!  That's working for Nuance.  ...

Seems Like Enrich Is Geared For Indian MTs...
Dec 26, 2014

the module for "difficult ESL" dictators, there are only sections for "Americanisms," "Hawaiian" and "Southern" -- If it were geared for American MTs the ESLs would be "Indian" "Chinese" etc.  I guess I'm just stating the obvious, though I thought it was funny....NOT! ...

Are The Indian MTSO's Doing Voice Recognition?
Jan 14, 2010

nm ...

Lawsuit Regarding Errors In Indian Transcription?
Aug 14, 2010

A friend was telling me that a lawyer friend was telling her about how he's working on a lawsuit dealing with all of the errors with the work that some Indian MTs have done.  He was very vague, of course.  Has anyone else heard something similar?  ...

What Happened To The Thread Originated By The Indian MT? SM
Dec 23, 2010

An MT from India started a thread, and there were a few responses, now the entire thing is gone.  What happened? ...

Is Focus Infomatics Indian Owned?
Jun 13, 2011

nm ...

MRI Of Brain Tumor With Indian Accent
May 15, 2011

Any help is appreciated.  I'm stuck on 2 words. 1. Sagittal T1-weighted images were followed by axial proton density and T2-weighted images.  Subsequently, formal T1-weighted images were followed by postgadolinium. 2. On the nongadolinium enhanced T2-weighted images, increase signal is identified within the left sphenoid sinus.  This is probably related to a transphenodial pituitary; this concession in this patient. I know these aren't the correct words but they sound ...

Synergy - Another Indian Front Company
Apr 28, 2012

When reading their website.  Little grasp of English grammar.  Misspelled words.  Typical foreign adjectives.  Bah! ...

So Now Tech Support People Are Indian?
Dec 07, 2012

Are they just slowly but surely going to have ALL employees from India? ...