A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Industry Trends - CoolMT

Posted: Mar 21, 2010

I'm new to this board, but have been in the business a while.  There's obviously a lot of dissatisfaction on the way work is being moved to India and Speech Recognition.  Its affected me, too.  But, it is what it is.  The healthcare facilities  are being forced to cut costs, and the MTSOs have to respond to keep the business, which is unfortunate for us.

First, there was India.  HealthScribe, Focus Informatics, CBay, Heartland and others pushed this as a lower cost alternative to hospital CFOs and they took the bait.  Quality was awful at first, but improved a little over time, making this an attractive way cut costs.

For those CFOs reticent of India, but still wanting to save costs, Speech Rec was born.  eScription was at the forefront.  Now owned by Nuance, they still are.  This enabled the MT to be more productive by the text already being 90% plus present and they just needed to fix a few things.  This, of course, depends on the quality of the Speech Rec engine and how they qualify the dictators.

Some are successful on Speech Rec and some are not.  For those that are not, this means lower pay as most MTSOs cut your rate depending on the productivity there are expecting.  Since this is an average, some are above and some are below.  The ones below suffer.

Fast forward to 2010.  Healthcare is under more pressure than ever.  CFOs are looking wherever they can for savings.  Spheris bought HealthScribe giving them access to India.  They then brought in Multi Modal for Speech Rec.  Nuance bought Focus and then eScription, giving them India and Speech Rec.  They also bought the Speech Rec engine MQ uses, Phillips SR.  CBay bought MQ, giving MQ access to the offshore operations of CBay.  Transcend uses both eScription and Multi Modal and uses contractors for offshore.

Point is, these moves for cost cutting are coming directly from the price pressures from the facilities.  While India is less than 10% of the work being done, Speech Rec is probably at 40%, more than 60% if you're just counting the top MTSOs.

While we can't do anything about any of these trends, what we can do is band together and make a stand for what is fair.  I'm sure the thought of Unionization has been floated out there before, but why hasn't it taken hold?

I thought of two reasons: 1) with the low wages we already make, paying Union dues would be too much and 2) the work we do directly effects patient outcomes, and I could not think about someone being denied proper treatment because the report wasn't there.

Consider this:  No hospital could withstand not receiving medical reports for a week.  This is actually far less than one week, but just being conservative.  No MTSO would have the resources to combat a walkout and the lashback from their clients.  In other words, they would forced to meet demands immediately and most likely before any type of walkout happened.

We need to capitalize on the leverage we have and Band together.  With the risk of a walkout being less than a week, the dues wouldn't need to be that much.  For those not familiar with Unions, the dues are to supplement a workers pay when they strike in protest for better conditions.

I didn't start this post to promote a union, but now, the more I think about it, it's the best option.  Let's see what you guys have to say and see where it goes.

I keep asking the same question but no Union Cheerleaders will - answer it . . . .

[ In Reply To ..]
How in the world will you contact and organize every single MT in the country? Only a fraction come to this board. So, how will this be done. Not all of us even live in the same state (all states have different laws), not all MTs work for the same employer.

Another question maybe you can answer --any effort to form a union will be shot down big time by hospital and MTSO alike. Where would the huge sum of money come from to hire our own legal staff. The hospitals and MTSOs have the best of the best, so we will have to have a legal team to match.

Do you have the money to travel all over the home from house, from Alaska to Hawaii to Maine and then back again to collect signatures? How would we even hold a preliminary vote when we don't even know how to contact every single MT in the country.

Also the federal government could break a union in one second, so what kind of strength to unions hold anymore?

Also, what to stop the MTSOs from just diverting the work to other offices in their country and offering endless OT to their workers?

Also if out of some MIRACLE a union would bring countless of separate MTs together and we would demand that we get paid decent wages -- what hospital/clinic/MTSO would hire us? Who? There is no law stating that they HAVE to hire us and pay HUGE wages when especially the hospitals are laying off people in droves.

I am interested for someone to seriously answer those questions. You all like to shake those union pom poms but you don't want to answer realistic questions.

So answer realistically these questions if you think you can put this together.

PS: I don't have money for a legal team or union dues, I am tapped out.

You need to talk to Dinosaur. - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
I think shipwrecked was another one that tried to help. There was a few of us that tried when CBAY was getting ready to buy MQ. That was our time, but everyone seemed to be AFRAID! Then the suits got on the board and some were actually from India and pretty much freaked me out. So, I knew deep down inside a Union might have worked because I was actually fighting with an Indian on the board.

Anyway, I have all the emails of my group of fellow MT's, about 60 of them.

Also, Dinosaur had the contacts of a Union and it only takes about 3-5 members to start a Union.

Lastly, this all needs to be televised and needs to be known widespread throughout the United States of what is going on with transcriptionists, medical reports, patient reports, overseas/outsourcing, etc.

Televised? You guys must be rich!! Which union are you going to - contact to join?

[ In Reply To ..]
I still don't know where you are going to get money for television/snail mail, email/radio campaign, I really don't.

But your FIRST huge HURDLE is contacting EVERYONE in your own MTSO because you are going to need a MAJORITY of votes to institute a union. 60 employees don't cut it. It doesn't.

I personally feel you all are beating a dead horse, but if you are serious --

According to labor union resources ----

Although every workplace is different and the needs of workers vary, there are some basic steps involved in winning a union voice on the job. Here's how it happens

To begin organizing a union at your workplace there’s a simple starting point before going through the steps listed below: quietly talk to a few of your co-workers who you think may be interested in organizing.

This small group starts to privately discuss workplace issues, what is involved in organizing a union, and making plans to contact the UNION. When you’re ready, contact us and a UNION representative will meet and/or talk with the small group to answer your questions and help you develop a comprehensive organizing plan.

Step 1: Build an Organizing Committee

Leaders are identified and an organizing committee representing all major departments and all shifts and reflecting the racial, ethnic and gender diversity in the workforce is established. Organizing committee training begins immediately. Committee members must be prepared to work hard to educate themselves and their co-workers about the union and to warn and educate co-workers about the impending management anti-union campaign. The organizing committee must be educated about workers’ right to organize and must understand UNION policies and principals of democracy and rank-and-file control.

Also at this step basic information about the workplace must be gathered including:

workplace structure: departments, work areas, jobs, shifts employee information: name, address, phone, shift, job title, and department for each worker (employee list) employer information: other locations, parent company, product(s), customers, union history.

Step 2: Adopt An Issues Program

The committee develops a program of union demands (the improvements you are are organizing to achieve) and a strategy for the union election campaign. A plan for highlighting the issues program in the workplace is carried out through various organizing campaign activities.

Step 3: Sign-Up Majority on Union Cards

Your co-workers are asked to join the union and support the union program by signing membership cards. The goal is to sign up a sizable majority. This "card campaign" should proceed quickly once begun and is necessary to hold a union election.

Step 4: Win the Union Election

The signed cards are used (and required) to petition the state or federal labor board to hold an election. It will take the labor board at least several weeks to determine who is eligible to vote and schedule the election. The union campaign must continue and intensify during the wait. If the union wins, the employer must recognize and bargain with the union. Winning a union election not only requires a strong, diverse organizing committee and a solid issues program, but there must also be a plan to fight the employer’s anti-union campaign.

Step 5: Negotiate a Contract

The organizing campaign does not let up after an election victory. The real goal of the campaign, a union contract (the document the union and the employer negotiate and sign, covering everything from wages to how disputes will be handled), is still to be achieved. Workers must be mobilized to support the union’s contract demands (decided by you and your co-workers) and pressure the employer to meet them. Organized! Make It Your Union!

laborunionresources dot org

Please note important need for step one in post above . . - ALL addresses, names, numbers, etc.

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know how you are gonna do that.

Good luck.
Once you start the ball rolling - Maverick
[ In Reply To ..]
People do find out and hear about it, especially if it has to do with patient records. We have this wonderful board to spread the news and then there is always CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, local news in 50 states, etc.

Industry Trends - CoolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you find that info? Would be interested in the link. I can't believe it would be that hard to pull together as a force and get what we want even if it wasn't in the form of a "union But, even then I have to believe starting our own union is the way.
I got it - here . . .
[ In Reply To ..]
laborunionresources dot org

But it seems to me to be such a huge mountain to climb . . . .

good luck . . .

Rich? Hardly. - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
It is called emailing newscasts, state reps, Glenn Beck, CNN news, family, friends, etc. Besides, once you hear that patient's records being done by MT's are trying to a join a Union, even in a small town, it could easily turn to national news.

We need Geraldo or Barbara Walters to expose the exodus of medical information to India!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

My union research - shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
I did a lot of research on unionizing MTs, and it was my conclusion that rather than trying to organize an MT-specific union, we would be better off getting a group of MT together and joining an already existing union.

There are several national healthcare-specific unions, e.g. Service Employees International Union - SEIU, or National Union of Healthcare Workers - NUHW. It would probably be cheaper too.

My other conclusion is that trying to organize MTs would be like trying to herd cats. We're too isolated and scattered. How would one go about reaching all MTs? A Very weak possibility would be to put an ad in the AAMG (or whatever the new name is) journal (if they still have one). but most MTs aren't members. There's also an annual convention, but I don't think MTs attend.

Putting an end to AHDI would be our best bet. - Cut the head off the serpent.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Industry Trends - CoolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Look, I don't know much about unions, let alone starting one, but if I get enough interest, I'll start the ball rolling. The trick is getting the workers to agree, management doesn't matter, though they'll be fighting it. If we can come together, we'll be a much bigger force than management.

India 10% - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
India is less than 10%? Others on the board have said that they are getting most of the work. Maybe I misunderstood your post. ?

Gotta be more than 10% - MQ's employees down from 10,000 to 3,000. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

10% - CoolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just rough numbers, but this is supposedly a $10 billion industry. If you take the big MTSOs revenue; MQ - $300mm, Spheris - $150mm, eScription -$240mm (counting what the subs get); cBay - $60mm; Heartland - $30mm and others that get so small they're not even worth counting, the total revenue outsourced to MTSOs with the capability of offshoring is less than $1 billion or 10%. And, they are not all sending 100% of their work offshore. The majority of transcription in the US is done by mom and pops and in-house MTs.

Union info for CoolMT - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't been on this board for a while, and when I finally found a moment yesterday, there was my old friends Maverick and Shipwrecked talking about our unionization efforts. The link below is for the SEIU Union which was very interested in taking us on. I contacted my local chapter (you will see a section to find one nearest you on their site). We had a larger work force then, but their plan was to go after all MTSOs. This union has split and a separate union has since been created, but I have not looked into it as of yet.

There was also a second union that was interested, it was a nurses/healthcare worker union. I will have to go through my records to find the name of that one. I will need a few days to gather all the information from our last effort. Once I have it I will post it here for you.

I had 6 volunteers, 7 including myself, from this board who were located coast to coast (which worked out well). There are many options to get the word out at no cost (the web is a wonderful tool), and of course news media is free. The union representative will help you through it.

If you should decide to take on this challenge I will stand with you to help, I am sure Maverick will as well, but I am too old to head it up at this point. I know I kept some articles that will help too. Maverick and I never stopped gathering info on this. I will contact Maverick and see what she has kept and we will get you the information to you. Start by making a post on this board to get as many volunteers as you can. You can then start placing posts on other boards.

http://www.seiu.org/our-union/index.php

Similar Messages:

Trends In EHR
May 28, 2014

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr075.pdf     ...

New To The Industry
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I am a recent graduate of a Med. Transcript program and am unable to find work for someone with less than one year experiance.  Any suggestions? ...

MT Industry
Feb 17, 2011

As a group, we need to talk, fax, email our state representatives to explain what is going on in our industry. Give them your personal story.  We should all do this 3/1/2010 and the first of every month until something is done.  If they get enough complaints/responses, they will help us.  They will start and talk to each other and realize how many of us are being abused.  We need to have state and federal regulations to protect us from these companies. Due to&n ...

Is It Still Possible To Get A PT Job In This Industry. Nm
Nov 04, 2012

nm ...

This Whole Industry
Aug 22, 2013

Here's the problem with MT's who work at home:  There's not one out of six of you that have ever grown a pair of cajones. ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Backpaddeling With MT Industry.
Jan 19, 2012

Backpaddeling with MT industry.. In no time, it is going to hit deadend or get crashed ... CONCERNED, IRRITATTED, ANGRY, FRUSTRATED MT.   ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

MT Industry In Other Countries
Sep 24, 2012

Since the MT industry has suffered in the US with outsourcing to India and speech recognition, I was wondering if the transcription industry in other countries such as Canada, Britain, or others are suffering as well. Does anyone know about the nature of their work? ...

Complaints On This Board Day After Day About The MT Industry?
Mar 15, 2010

Is anyone else sick of reading all the complaints on this board day after day about the MT industry?  Am I the only one who actually enjoys what I do?  If you hate Mting so bad, then quit!  Be thankful you have a job.  I know I will get lots of nasty replies, but I am so tired of all the negativity.  I would never want to go back to working at my previous job which was a call center where you sat all day and listened to ppl curse at you.  I do not miss all the gas money wasted because of d ...

A Flicker Of Hope For This Industry!!!
May 04, 2010

I spoke with a wonderful company today that offered IC positions and the owner of the company told me that she refuses to offshore because she could not honestly tell her clients that she can be HIPPA compliant when the files leave the US soil and that she refuses to under bid her MTs who contract with her and she tells anybody who wants to do business with her that she will not offshore and she chooses to pay her MTs an honest living wage!!!!  Hooray for her.  I was really impressed w ...

So Glad To Escape MQ And The Industry!!!
Jul 31, 2010

After nearly 20 years in this industry, I am happy to say that I am free now!  Praise God! ...

How Long Has It Been Since The MT Industry Started
Apr 18, 2012

I am fairly new to this. I have always worked as an MT, but always paid hourly. Obviously 4 cents per line is not enough for anyone to survive on unless you are doing it for supplemental income. So my question is when did these companies start paying 4 cents per line and how long has this been going on? I am just curious how so many have survived so long on these wages. Thanks. ...

I Wish The MT Industry Would Go On Undercover Boss
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for some of these MTSOs?  ...

People Who Will Stay In This Industry.
Jul 01, 2012

I think as things go forward the people that will stay in this industry are those with their own benefits either through husbands or retirement age or buying their own that dont need to support themselves or anyone else fully and have other income again either through a significant other, husband, etc. or are retired and collecting pensions and SS and what have you.  This will help fill in retirement as far as financial, keeping the mind active and help with keeping in the job market.  ...

The MT Industry Is Dead. Do You Agree Or Disagree? Nm
Nov 30, 2009

nm ...

Support Our Industry And Jobs - Please Write These
Mar 05, 2010

Instructions and model letter provided here.  INSTRUCTIONS: Instructions for Letter Writing 1. Find out who your federal legislators are: a. Find out who your Representative is by using the zip code search at www.house.gov. b. Find out who your two Senators are by using the “Find Your Senators” option at www.senate.gov. 2. Address your letters as follows: a. For Senators: The Honorable (Full Name) United States Senate Washington, DC 20510 Dear Senator (Last Name) b. ...

I Think MT Should Be Patterned Similar To The Music Industry.
Jun 24, 2011

Or the film industry.  Whenever their work is replayed somewhere, they get residual checks.  Now that there is an EMR just about everywhere, when someone in the hospital pulls up a report to read, you KNOW that is tracked within the computer system for security/HIPAA purposes.  Everything about that report is traceable to the MT who typed it.  When the doctor reads our report, and later treats the pt. based on what he/she read, the hospital gets paid for that.  When a ...

Does Company Feedback Really Matter In This Industry?
Jun 22, 2011

I read in my textbooks that an MT should not be heard and that complaining about the way in which doctors and PAs, etc dictate is not relevant in this industry.  They don't want to hear it. It has always been my belief that it takes two to tango, especially if you want to produce anything of quality. I was recently pondering if it will do any good to tell this company what I believe I am seeing.  This is probably suicide but I don't like to take the blame for something I am n ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

Helpful Hints For MTs Leaving The MT Industry
Aug 01, 2012

As someone who worked as a professional full-time MT for 31 years (most of those years at home), I've learned the ropes the hard way when transitioning over to the "public workplace."  I'm here to offer encouragement to others who need to find another career in order to make a decent living.  I do still work 15-20 hours at home as an MT online, but I work a full time job in a completely different sector during the day.  I finally have the job of my dreams, and I absolute ...

Transcription Industry Going Downhill Fast!
Feb 04, 2013

I currently work at a clinic, but the clinic was bought out by a hospital in 2011.  I left for about a year and they called me back.  Now, it's Feb 2013 and the hospital just got bought out by a big organization.  Boss says they have to go EMR by the fall or they get penalized from Medicare.  They will no longer use me or the other girls once they do this. I've been looking at what's out there and who can survive on 3-4 cents/line editing?  There's n ...

Please Sign This Petition To Help Change Our Industry.
Apr 03, 2014

The overall tone of most posts on this site reflect the need for change and regulation in our industry so we can stop being taken advantage of and also that medical records are kept accurate and safe. If you feel this way, please click on the link below and sign the petition to address the joint commission to try to help regulate our industry. http://www.change.org/petitions/joint-commission-petition-the-joint-commission-to-develop-medical-transcription-and-documentation-standards?recruit ...

I Have Realized The Truth Of The MT Industry Situation
Jun 06, 2015

I've been coming here for years. For many years it was only the poorly trained MTs who complained about not doing well. Anyone who had good training and good skills, sometimes learned on the job, which isn't practical now, but good skills at any rate, did well. The times have changed. While I used to categorize the complainers as neer-do-wells because they lacked ambition, accuracy, and training, that just isn't the case anymore. The employers have beat MTs down so that they can ...

The Discussions On Cherry Picking Have Been Very Eye Opening. This Industry
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

What Is Wrong With Our Industry? Employers Just Come Up With One Silly Idea After Another
Mar 24, 2011

I don't know where they get all of their silly ideas, one new, amazing idea after another. You would think they would look back at the last several silly ideas they've had that didn't work and use some common sense, but that doesn't happen. It's always the idea to end all ideas, but those ideas never end well. Just a vent. ...

Industry Wide Production Requirement Increase?
Apr 04, 2011

The company I work for just increased our production requirements from 220 to 240 LPH for ASR and for straight transcription from 150 to 160 LPH.  They gave their reason as industry-wide production requirement increases.  Anyone else out there have the same problem. ...

Help Determining Industry Standard For Editing Platform
Apr 05, 2013

I supervise a group of transcriptionists who are offsite but work as hourly employees.  They work on a Nuance editing platform, but also do Radiology.  Currently they are required to do 15 min/hr and do 15 xrays/hr on an editing platform (PowerScribe) as well. The numbers are outdated and I want to up the amount of xrays they edit an hour, but am unsure what the industry standards are.  Does anyone know: 1.  What the industry standard is for how many x-rays you are required ...

Found This Very Interesting But How Can We Bring Attention To Our Industry?
Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?   http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792 ...