A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am so relieved. I finally took the plunge and dropped to PT so - Kiki

Posted: Nov 20, 2011

I can start looking for another job.   Well, since you have to give 30 days' notice, I can't start PT until Dec 20, but whatever.  My CCM didn't really seem to like it.  Calling me up, "just want to know if there's a problem, so why are you going PT....are you looking for another job?"  So many questions.  I wish I hadn't answered the phone.  Um, DUH, it's because I don't feel stable in this job.  Tired of worrying if I will have my job next month or the month after. Tired of making half of what I used to make working twice as hard. 

Then when she realized I was definitely still going to drop to PT, she got snippity.  "Well, you know if you do you can't go back to FT for a year and that's only if we NEED someone at that time."  ????? Okay!  You just proved my point!!!!!  IF we need someone???  Jeesh.  This place never ceases to amaze me. 

I am wondering though, now that I'll be PT, if I get laid off as a PTer does anyone know if I would still be eligible for unemployment (at a lower amount of course)?  Or do you have to be FT to collect that? 

you will still get it - if you get laid off

[ In Reply To ..]
probably same amount even

So typical of MQ - Snippity CCM

[ In Reply To ..]
That is just the attitude I would have expected from some of the CCMs. Good luck to you with part-time! I may be next! I didn't realize you had to give them 30 days notice for PT.

You made the right decision - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been reading your posts on this board for quite a while. As someone who has been at this a very, very long time and has seen the downhill slide from the beginning, I know you've made the correct decision. Hope you find a good job somewhere, that you will be appreciated, compensated adequately and have decent working conditions. You have nowhere to go but up.

To OABO.... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for that. I have been getting a bit nervous about my decision but I know I made the right one. I've been reading your posts too. I wish the best for everyone here, and I'm so glad to have had this site. I think I would have felt so isolated and alone, thinking it was only happening to ME if it weren't for this site.

I'm thinking I'll be staying PT for a while, going to relax and take a much needed break (before I get totally burned out) before I start looking for FT again. Not sure if it will be in MT, but your're right, nowhere to go but up at this point.

Congrats on taking the 1st step.... - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You have made a very wise decision. I am sorry for the snippity CCM, but what do they expect, and why should they care anyway, seems they WANT to rid of as many of us as possible. I too dropped to PT before leaving, took on more hours at a PT job I had been working right along. I was fortunate enough to have the same CCM who had come over from Spheris with me, and I was honest with her, since we were on the phone, no Emailing. She was awesome and totally understood. I was pretty sure the PT would go to FT within the year, and as it turned out I was right. However, I don't recall having to wait 30 days, it was 1 pay period of 2 weeks, but that may have changed too. Best of luck and hang tough, you have done the right thing. If it helps any, I too was nervous about going to PT... but I just KNEW I had to start the process of exiting and it turns out I was way so right! Good luck and God Bless!

to: I am so relieved - kiki - wooly bully

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience with CCMs over the years (lost count) is that those who start out okay and seem really concerned about their MTs it's only a matter of time before they become puppets with upper management pulling their strings. Why should you be truthful with them when they either lie to us or withhold information from us that we really should know or are entitled to. Have you ever mentioned to a CCM about something that you saw on MTstars -- instant reply, "you can't believe what you read on there." Well, I think I'll take my chances with putting some credibility into the majority of the posts on here than believe or not believe what they tell us (in most cases, what they don't tell us). Sometimes, MTstars is the only place where you get the answers or at least a clue to what is going on. If the CCM does get some gumption under their belts and want to truly be on the MTs side, then of course they won't last very long, so thus they do the dance directed by the suits or get the pink slip.

The bit about her saying that you couldn't go back to FT and only if they need someone just really made me gag...how stupid do they they we really are?

Well, I hope that everyone can enjoy Thanksgiving to some extent, that is if you can afford it. You know, it would really be nice if they sent us a gift card that would at least cover the cost of a turkey. Wishful thinking...forgot, suits have their entertaining to do besides the traditional Thanksgiving feast with the family. Don't get me started on Christmas!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FELLOW MTs!!!

Similar Messages:

Taking The Plunge
Feb 20, 2011

After having been an MT for over half of my life and constantly reading these forums and realizing the shortcomings we are all facing in this industry, I'm taking the plunge. Yesterday my husband and I bought 2 domain names, ordered 500 business cards, my husband is researching MT salaries nationwide, and we're going to start our own MTSO.  An MTSO run by HUMAN BEINGS for HUMAN BEINGS.  A small one, we're looking at probably 20 or less ICs to ensure ample work for every ...

Taking The Plunge.
Nov 03, 2012

I've decided I will go through Andrews school for coding. All that I have to do now is wait until Monday to sign up and enroll. I am so excited!! I was wondering if anyone who has gone though or is currently in the coding course through Andrews could give me some advice. I am currently a medical transcriptionist,so I have medical language behind me...but that is about all. Any study tips or anything else for that matter would be well appreciated. Thanks. ...

Yay Me. Took The Plunge And Turned In My Notice.
Jun 13, 2014

Had enough and moving on. Will miss working with my TSM. She's great. Other than that, can't think of anything I will miss about Nuance. ...

Taking The Plunge To Editing Voice Rec.
Apr 29, 2013

After 30 years of "traditional" transcription now moving on to editing work done by physicians on work recognition.  I'd love if some of you can share your experience. Also I know about the learning curve, but wonder how financially this works out for you all. After your learning curve, working the same amount of hours are you seeing more or less or about the same in your paycheck?  Thanks! ...

Question For Those Who Have Dropped To PT With MQ
Nov 15, 2011

I want to drop to PT so I can find a different job.  I'd love to flat out quit but I can't take the chance.  But my question is, when you drop to PT, do you have to tell your CCM why or do you just inform her?  I really don't have a problem telling her I can't live on these poverty wages, but let's just say she isn't my favorite person, but I know she will be nosey and ask WHY?  Am I obliged to tell her?  And how do you drop to PT?  I ...

Across The Board Pay Cuts Dropped My Pay From Avg 9.51 Hr To 7.30 Hr.
Aug 08, 2011

and I've been doing this for over 20 years!  Used to make $18 per hour doing the same thing for the same company.   Going back to school and getting the heck out of this business.  ...

I Just Dropped My Favorite Headset In My
Sep 27, 2012

water glass :(  It was a really old Dictaphone headset with a three mile long cord.  I hope it works when it dries ...

Part-time Pay Dropped By $7.
Nov 30, 2013

I put my heart and soul into this job, a job I used to get paid $20-plus an hour for, and my most recent pay check was only $297 for two weeks' work, part-time.  Up until now I was getting a whopping $304 per pay period.  Never mind trying to understand the pay stub explanations.  Even the base pay is less than my state's minimum wage, which is puny at that.   Yet they have the gall to complain over an ADT omission or a minor text error.  I swear ...

Number Of MQ Employees Dropped By ? Since Cbay
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an article that I think was posted here awhile ago about CBay's plans for cutting US MTs? It might have been an Indian article.  Somehow the numbers 10,000 then down to 3,000 seem familiar, but I'd appreciate a link if anyone knows where to find this info. Thanks. ...

My Daily Line Counts Have Dropped Quite A Bit After All This
Apr 29, 2015

mandatory OT.  I'm too tired and burnt out, and my hands hurt too bad.  It's having the opposite effect of what they're intending...  I guess if whoever is making the mandatory OT decision knew anything about business, though, they'd know that too much OT for too long is counter-productive. ...

Dropped To P/T Due To Line Count, But No Work With 7 Accounts
Sep 17, 2013

Anybody out there with SoftScript being bumped down to P/T for line count?  Have been with them 11 months and have run out of work every single pay period with 7 different accounts.  Nobody EVER, EVER answers any emails.  Have never even heard from my PM.  I get over 99.75% on every single audit, yet miss the count by 1 or 200 hundred and I lose even more money? Curious if it is just being done because of the new insurance laws.  Putting everybody down to PT so they don& ...

Patient's Sodium Dropped To An S/l "a-dear" Of 115.
Jun 05, 2010

x ...

Work Has Dropped Off So Bad Now That I Am Forced To Look For Work Again
Feb 14, 2013

Really upset right now - work has dropped off so bad now that I am forced to look for work again.  I am upset because there was work on the system and a few of us were asked to stop so that the people that have been there the longest have a chance at work.  I dont think this is very fair as I have bills also to pay and surely cannot like this.  I thought it was first come first serve.  Am I so wrong?  ...

I Finally Get It....
Mar 02, 2010

After receiving the infamous "no jobs available" for the upteen time today, it finally hit me.  What an amazing way to get rid of MTs without really having to get rid of them on your own.  Drive the MTs insane with no work, yet keep them locked to their computers in the hope that a job might become available.  It feels kinda like playing the lottery....you know it's a waste of money and time, but just maybe you might win...ughh.  Why is it that our "professional" jo ...

Now I Finally Believe The End Is Near
Jun 06, 2011

I must admit I've been reading this board for years, never posted until now, partly due to the probably unsubstantiated paranoia going around awhile back that those who posted here got the ax first, silly I suppose, but I used to care about keeping this job and didn't want to take any chances.  Now, finally, I understand that I am fighting a losing battle, and I know longer give ******.  I've been reading about you guys with NJA for days on end, etc., etc., and I guess I ...

I Did It.....finally! Sm
Jul 05, 2011

I finally told MQ goodbye!  I finally got another contract job and they needed me to start pretty much immediately, so I quit without notice.  In a way I feel bad for resigning without a 2-week notice, but I figure MQ would not give me a 2-week notice if they were letting me go.  I wish all my MQ co-workers well and I hope you find happiness either with MQ or elsewhere.  God bless you all! ...

Finally!!
Jun 15, 2012

Never thought this day would get here, but I'm finally gone!! I feel such peace just to know that I won't have to stress anymore about everthing this industry has become: Horrible dictators, low pay, off-shoring, and VR. Bless everyone who is sticking it out until the very end. ...

I'm Finally Out!
Dec 01, 2012

Finally out.  I start a new job in-house on December 10 in a medical office.  Not MT, just answering some phones and setting up appointments.   And I get to wear scrubs.  I guess in the morning I'll be taking off one pair of pajamas and putting on another.  Don't lose hope friends.... ...

Finally, I Got A Better Job!
Dec 20, 2012

I can't tell you how happy I am.  I was literally dancing around the house.  DS thought I was out of my mind, and I kind of was.  I have been trying to get out from under this oppressive company for a long time now, and I finally have.  I wish everyone a happy holiday.  I'm happy to say I won't be posting here anymore.  I've moved on and I'm not looking back. Best of luck to everyone who is in the same position I was this time yesterday. &nb ...

Well I Finally Did It!
Jan 23, 2013

I finally went ahead and filed for partial U/E.  I know I'm not in as bad of a situation as many I read on this board but I just can't live like this anymore.  It's bad enough that our pay has been to sharply cut with VR but now when they don't give us any work to do it's worse.  It humiliated me at my age to have to do this for the first time in my life at 59 years of age but I did it.  ...

FINALLY OUT!!!
Feb 11, 2013

Friday is my last day transcribing at a company that is about to lay off 10-25 people!  Unforunately that company lost its biggest account, but fortunately my last 6 months of hard word has paid off and starting a new career alltogether with the local county!  I will continue to pray for you that you find work to be satisfied with and compensated accordingly.  I have typed for 15 years and it is hard to say goodbye considering it brought me through many hard times raising my two o ...

Finally Got Out Of MT
Jan 01, 2014

I just wanted really to say for those of you still hanging on, worried about work in the outside world, I finally got out about 3 months ago and I haven't been this happy in YEARS and to be exact in the last 12 years that I was an MT.  Working as an MT, I don't think I ever felt good enough, because I would be torn apart due to missing a comma or not being able to understand a term well enough to find it.  I was so stressed about money all of the time and even dreaded holiday ...

FINALLY G-O-N-E!
Apr 11, 2014

I HAVE FINALLY LEFT - WHAT A FEELING!  I AM ELATED TO GET OUT OF THIS PRISON. ...

Getting Out Of MT Finally! Sm
Aug 01, 2014

After 25 years I am getting out of this biz for good!!  I finally found other employment. May not be the best pay to start out with and some people would look it as an odd job for someone my age, but that is okay too!  I can't wait to start!!!! ...

Finally!
Sep 16, 2014

I have been (as some of you all have) trying to get out of this transcription "hell" for years!  I finally, finally landed another job!  It it outside of transcription.  Its with Verizon!  Finally!  I know no job is heaven, but at least I'll get a raise every year.....................and not have to wonder in agony what is going to happen today......................what are they going to take away from me today............will I be able to pay my bills, will there b ...

FINALLY!!!! A Job
Oct 10, 2014

I have been watching the boards for so many months. I was laid off almost a year ago and sent "oodles" upon "oodles" of resumes to every company I saw on this board, the other board, the job servers...You name it, I sent it.  I even did Craig's list. Some were kind enough to respond, some did not bother.  But I still plugged away.  My unemployment ran out in July and thank God we have been making do.  I answered an ad on Craig's list for something out of t ...

I Am Finally Out!! =)
Feb 20, 2015

I am finally no longer a medical transcriptionist!  No more stress!! No more crappy shifts, crappy dictators, crappy PMs!! No more accounts specs! No more anything!  I read on here all the time how people say you can do it! you can get out of the field and find something else but I never believed it!  Now I am!  I accepted a job with an answering service making good money, benefits, PTO, 401 my own hours and I can do it from home!  so ya it can be done people!! ...

Finally Got Out
Mar 25, 2015

After being laid off at an in house job when they went to point and click and spending 3 months looking outside MT for a job, I've landed a position as a medical records clerk.   ...

I Did It! I Finally Did It! Saying Goodbye To MT! (sm)
Oct 22, 2009

I was notified today that I have been chosen for a job with the local hospital - not doing transcription.  I finally get to say goodbye to no vacation, no sick pay, working 24/7, no pay increase, no recognition for a job well done, having to worry about my own taxes, and just everything that goes along with it, like the lying and back-stabbing from managers *** and owners ***, and having to deal with QA who says they follow BOS, but then makes things up as they go.  Its an 8 to 5 job ...

They Finally Noticed
Apr 29, 2010

My CCM finally called and left a message saying I hadn't been logging on and she would have to process termination if I didn't get in touch with her. "A phone call would be nice," I think is how she worded it. I didn't call her back.  I just sent her an email and told her to go right ahead and process termination, that I didn't call because I didn't feel that the Q deserved the courtesy of a call when they treat their MTs like trash. So I am officially free.  ...