A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Employment terminated - Devastated

Posted: Nov 07, 2012

I got canned yesterday for not making over minimum wage. I meet over the minimum lines requirement, but still not enough for minimum wage for my state. We had also been running out of work a lot lately. I had one verbal warning over the phone a little over a month ago, no written warning, and no "performance management," and was scheduled for a mentoring session later this month...totally taken by surprise. I was hoping to hang on until retirement in 2 years, but with the drop in pay, increase in minimum lines requirement, now 100% ASR, and my state having one of the highest minimum wage, etc., they beat me. I had no trouble before ASR, always made well over minimum wage. My quality audits are always over 99%, always work my shift, always available for overtime, no other performance issues whatsoever, and been with them for over 12 years.

I have spoken to a lawyer and took in all the pertinent emails (scheduled mentoring email, no work available, my monthly quality audits over the past 2 years, the company deleting email through "mail purge," etc.) that thank God I was in the habit of forwarding over to my own email for the past couple years. I also took in check stubs from the last 3 years showing the difference in line counts/pay from when I did mostly straight typing and now doing all ASR. They locked me out of being able to get onto what was formerly MedQuist Central after the "phone call," so I could not copy the policy talking about verbal warning, written warning, and then performance management, but maybe they have changed that policy. After a brief looking over of all this stuff, the lawyer said I may have a case against them at least for unemployment benefits if nothing else, and that he will check into it further. Now I wait to see what happens.

I am totally devastated and don't know if I will be able to find another job now with being "fired." I have never had to deal with this stuff before, never been fired from a job, and have not been out of a job for over 36 years.

Thank you all for letting me vent.

I really think it has nothing to do with your work quality... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they're getting rid of people who came in grandfathered with buy-outs or making the top of their tier. Does that make sense in your case?

So sorry, I can't imagine how devastating this is. I don't work for the company, but a friend also got canned. She was making more than MM's highest tier limit because of a buy-out and has already consulted with an attorney. One of the things the attorney noticed right away was that their minimum line requirement isn't even minimum wage for her state either. He was shocked, but specifically mentioned it was useful in her case because it shows the company recognizes how low the realistic salary potential is.

I don't know the highs and lows of tier 3, but - Devastated

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making 4 ASR/8 straight and worked for Medquist since 2000. Yes, that is what my lawyer said also about their minimum line count versus minimum wage, but that a lot will depend on if the company can show others in my state were able to make over minimum wage with the same pay rate and same requirments.

You poor thing. I only started in 2004, but was - making 10/6.

[ In Reply To ..]
No wonder you couldn't make minimum wage. I barely could.

I will help you find a job - contact me! - Sara

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi there

Please contact me if you need help finding a job.

Sorry about the lost but if you need help finding remote MT work then please send me an email

Thank you!

terminated - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
The same thing happened with me with them. I had been with them for 11 years and one day I got a phone call saying that my line count was too low - no warning nothing!!! I was on so many different accounts and had so many different specs to adhere to on any given day, of course my line count was lower than it ever had been when I was on 1 or 2 accounts all day. I am now with Nuance (who I know there are a lot of people who bash them) but I have nothing but good to say. They have worked with me on bringing my line count up and have me on an account I really like and I can flex my hours if I need to take a break in the middle of the day, I do and then make it up later that day or in that week. I am very grateful for them for hiring me and you should apply. You would have no problem in getting hired I am sure.

Thank you for the encouragement, but - Devastated

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not going to pursue another MT position. I believe the MT industry is dead. There is no longer any respect for the knowledge and skill it takes to do this job and the constant lowering of pay reflects that.

The only reason I have stayed this past couple of years is because I was not wanting to start over somewhere else being so close to retirement and I do have a second job on the side to make ends meet (not MT), which I pray will have a full-time position open up soon.

You had no trouble? - Cassi

[ In Reply To ..]
You had no trouble getting hired at Nuance after being fired?

I wonder if... - hi

[ In Reply To ..]
this company has gotten in to trouble with the Labor Board over not paying minimum wage. I have frequently wondered why their line count is below minimum wage. If you (or anyone - not picking on you) only type the minimum, you are barely making $4 an hour. When I tell my friends/family this who work in the "real world," they look at me like I have 2 heads. All their replies are the same - "And why would you work there?"

what company? - TooOldForThis

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, this is sad... this sounds like the company I am currently working for and I am struggling to meet line count because of the 99% accuracy that the push and then all the technical specs and then bouncing from account to account and NO ONE answering emails asking for help. I might be next!!!

well you're on the MModal board - so I would say

[ In Reply To ..]
the person worked for MModal.

Similar Messages:

My Turn!! Terminated My Nap/terminated My Employment
Aug 16, 2013

I got the call this afternoon.  Finished my shift, laid down for a nap and phone woke me up hour and 15 minutes later.  She was reading a script in a dismal voice and obvious what was happening, but it dragged on and on. Managed to say ok...   A little over 9 years.  Life as my daughter and I know it just ended.  Thank goodness!!  Moving desk out of living room not a minute too soon and maybe years too late. ...

MT Employment Opportunities After Being Terminated For Failing Audit
Feb 15, 2014

I was looking at MT ads and a lot of them only need 98% accuracy, but M-Modal had to have at least 99.6%, going to 99.7% soon. I wonder about different MT companies' thoughts on this - or whether I should even think about looking for future medical transcription work. ...

To Those Below Who Were Terminated...
Nov 04, 2012

Were you full time or part time? I see 120 LPH being mentioned.  I have always had a requirement of 150 LPH for full time.  Do you think they are targeting part timers? ...

TERMINATED?????
Feb 21, 2013

Tried to check my work email, couldn't log in.  Checked Ultipro and apparently I was TERMINATED????????????????  Who is going to pay my bills, my rent?  Thanks a lot MMODAL ...

Wonder If I'll Be Terminated Next
Feb 22, 2013

I've been working for MModal 2 years part-time.  Other than the usual stuff, they've left me alone pretty much.  Now all of a sudden I get an email saying one client complained I'm leaving too many blanks.  Recently, I  had about a week of horrible, scratchy, low volume dictations that were not even discernible in some places and I had to leave blanks.  I think that's what they're referring to.  Since then, I'm being audited every day, ...

To Anyone Who Has Been Terminated:
Mar 08, 2013

through an email or did they at least have the decency to send you a letter or call?  Or did you just try to start work and find yourself locked out of the system?  I know they have to at least send you something telling you about COBRA if you had health insurance.   I think my head is on the chopping block too, and part of me is really hoping that is the case.  There once was a time when I would have just told them to go _____ themselves, turned on my heel and walked away w ...

Terminated
Aug 15, 2013

I was so shocked to get my termination effective immediately and I did hear human resources would send me a letter but do you know what equipment needs to be returned. Just the computer or will they want the monitor, foot pedal, keyboard?  I am sure this company will want it ALL back but forgot to ask.  On the upside they pay you for the termination conference call. I always thought those terminated surely were not working their hours or had bad quality but I can assure you that is not the cas ...

Terminated.
May 22, 2015

Well, it looks like Nuance is starting to get what they want....giving out walking papers because of their "patient safety" bullshit.  I was fired today because of their new metrics scheme and the QA pend percentage being above the minimum when 99.9% of my pends were MANDATORY pends, and because of crappy audio, VR that had to be deleted and started from scratch and dictators that don't know how to key in the right patient info and crappy dictators in general and me painstakingly suffe ...

Anyone Been Terminated For <98% Audit??
Apr 14, 2010

Good-bye ...

Terminated From Transcend
Jun 05, 2010

Can anyone who took the Cobra insurance tell me how that works?  Do you have to contact them to participate in it or do they contact you?  They sent me a letter today that I am supposed to sign and return and it mentions I have 60 days to sign up, but no more info than that.  Appreciate your sharing anything you know. ...

Get Terminated From TT With No Notice?
Jan 05, 2012

Anyone else just get terminated from TT with no notice? ...

Got Terminated Today!
Mar 28, 2012

Well after being put on  100% QA for 5 days, not passing an audit at 97.95% I was terminated today.  This company is unbelievable.  They not only knock you down, play with your mind daily, they set me up to fail,   I told them about this doctor that I had critical erros on, that she was impossible to do, that I had sent all the work they sent me for her to QA after I did my best to try and get it done.  But as I said I must of had 10 of her reports&nb ...

Has Anyone Heard Of MT Being Terminated After
Jan 15, 2013

TERMINATED TODAY
Aug 15, 2013

Yes, got the call about a half hour ago.  Guess I can collect now.  I know others are being fired today too.  Must say my TSM and QA were superb people and I know it is not their decision.  I will come back and say more later but right now I need to settle down and think, take a long walk.  There are other transcriptionist places I absolutely know will hire me, but I only want to work part time.  This stinks.  MModal is the most scrupulous, heartless, horribly ...

TERMINATED AFTER 9 YEARS
Mar 27, 2014

In 2005, I had been hired on by (then) MEDQUIST.  It was wonderful. Started at 9.75 cents per character line, 65-word, plus spaces.  They were 'glad' to get me.  I sailed along year after year, and they seemed to like my work. NO COMPLAINTS. I worked hard, then received approval to work SUNDAY for 24 hours and Monday for 16 hours. This was tough, but I had to deal with weather/power issues, internet outage issues and enough work issues. I was working for a large acct for ...

TERMINATED BUT STILL NOT PAID
Apr 04, 2014

How long did it take you to receive your last paycheck with the PTO. I saw it in ULTIPRO but not in my direct deposit? I was terminated Over 3 weeks ago????? I understand in my state, they have 6 days to send me my last paycheck. Should I contact the Dept of Labor in my state AGAIN???? ...

Webmedx MTs/QA Terminated - IMPORTANT!!
Sep 02, 2010

We can request a petition for Trade Adjustment Act assistance be filed against Webmedx because of the nature of this termination (reduction in force) and more than 3 MTs/QA were terminated.  Each one of you who was terminated: 1.  Immediately contact your state's Department of Workforce Services.  (A)  File an unemployment claim immediately.  (B)  Request that a TAA petition be filed.  Use the Atlanta location (Corp Office) and Pittsburgh location (Opera ...

Keystrokes - Got Terminated Last Week
May 11, 2011

Well I'm the one that got terminated last week. I just got an e-mail I probably was not suppose to get. But the account I had been on for 3 weeks is now going to voice recognition in 2 weeks. I just wonder if they did not get rid of me to hire someone for pennies to work for them. Sounds Fish to me. I wonder if anyone else got terminated. ...

Feeling Beaten Down And About To Be Terminated.
Apr 24, 2013

Is there any way to get unemployment out of this company?  I am not meeting my lines per hour on ebtxt and don't know what to do.  Apparently my hours did not match on Webclock and the system last week. We are getting emails every week stating make sure you check this or that including do ctr + alt + I to check the print, which will only do it for 1 page, so then we have to do it for each page.  Also, check 3 pages in the AI sheet for each job, etc.  I feel lik ...

Was Everybody Under 30 Hours Per Week Terminated?
Aug 15, 2013

That's the buzz on the other board. ...

TERMINATED: A WOMAN SCORNED
Aug 15, 2013

It's 7 hours since being terminated and I have begun the dismantling of my office, sorting through e-files, papers, sticky notes, reminders, etc., gotta oil the shredder because it's gonna be working overtime (pun intended).  After 26 years of working here in this room I have many emotions.  I loved working at home for Secrephone and Medquist.  MModal, however, is the worst, the worst management crew, no scruples, no morals, (just plain no brains), money-hungry execs loo ...

Anyone Terminated W/o Phone Call...just Can't Sign In?
Aug 16, 2013

Tried to sign in for my shift tonight....CAN NOT SIGN IN is the message I received.  Called DICTATE, he couldn't sign in for me either.  I received no call, no email.  Did not even get our thrice daily update on work volume....not looking good.  Anyone else have this happen to them? ...

To All Those Terminated I Feel Your Pain. A Year Ago
Aug 16, 2013

this week I was terminated, along with several others, from a different company. I was an excellent MT, as reflected in my reviews and monthly QA reports. I knew that something was coming, but never suspected how/what happened.  I hated my account, I hated working on MModal platform, I just hated everything about my job and was so stressed I was physically sick many days, but I never missed a day of work.  I can't tell you it has been easy. I still have not been able to find a j ...

At-will Employment
Aug 16, 2011

If your employment with an MTSO is "at will," doesn't that apply to BOTH you and them? The legal meaning of "at-will employment" is as follows: "A common-law rule that an employment contract of indefinite duration can be terminated by either the employer or the employee at any time for any reason; also known as terminable at will." So, given this legal rule, why are we deemed ineligible for rehire when we leave an MTSO without what they perceive as fair notice? ...

Need Employment Help PLEASE
Nov 18, 2011

I need some help.  I recently became a single mom....and then lost my previous job due to taking some time off to gain custody of my niece due to an abuse situation she was in.  So now I am a single mom of 2 children.  After 2 months I finally found a job but not doing transcription.  I am not making it financially with what I am doing now, especially adding the cost of gas driving 30 minutes each way back and forth to work.  SOOOO.....I am in desperate need of some help ...

PRN Employment
Apr 15, 2012

Are there any "reputable" companies offering prn transcription opportunities any more?  I am finding myself with times where my workflow is slow and would love to have a backup, but I also dont want to commit to more than I can handle.  Would appreciate some suggestion/feedback.    ...

Looking For Employment
Jun 24, 2014

Hello, I am currently looking for employment in either In-House transcription near Spring Hill, Florida or employment with a company that will provide the computer and equipment needed. Any information is appreciated. Thank you, Kathy ...

Employment Status Changes
Dec 06, 2009

For anyone who has changed from full-time to part-time status, have you still been able to get time off when needed, and what exactly is meant by flexible part time (flexible for whom)?  With all the recent changes, I am finding it necessary to begin heading in another direction. ...

Considering Employment With Medquist
Oct 05, 2010

I took a test for Medquist three months ago and was told I didni't pass, even when I know I had to have.  I got a call this afternoon from someone in HR about wanting me to please take the test again.  Is this company worth working for?   I've looked online and some people are posting that they are only making $7-9 an hour?  Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Considering Employment With Amphion
Jan 05, 2011

I am considering employment with Amphion.  I've heard it's a great company to work for. Does anyone have any feedback regarding Amphion that they'd be willing to share? Thanks - Joyce ...