A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

so what do you do when you can't find a job? - bleep

Posted: Sep 29, 2013

I just ran out of my unemployment benefits and I have not found a job. I look for a job everywhere, but I can't stand or walk for very long, so I can't get a job where you have to stand or walk. Nobody is hiring me, too much competition on line. I have no more money and no where to go. I mean I have no where to go, nor do I want to go. Don't want to move in with my ex-boyfriend, he tries to control me. Don't want to move in with my son and his wife, they lost their house and are only staying somewhere temporarily. They smoke all the time and I will lost my mind over there anyway. And my son will start using my car to help himself and then he will tell me how lucky I am to live there. Where does a 61 year old woman with no job go? I avoid my grandchildren because I have no money anymore. I will never live with my sister because we will kill each other. I lost my independence because I can't find a job. I feel hopeless....I am hopeless.

I'm so very sorry for your situation, BTDT. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Several years ago, I was in a homeless shelter for a month (after trying to live with my  sister and her family for hopefully a couple of months but ended up being only 3 weeks and which I knew was undoable before I even gave it a shot, and that's why I lost my MT job then and eventually ended up in the shelter).  

Have you tried outside of MT, like maybe general transcription?  I'm supplementing my MT income with that now.  Check out GMR and Rev, or even Mechanical Turk.  

Hopefully others here will have some more positive suggestions, but I will say, in very practical terms, that you might want to start researching shelters in your area as soon as possible, as it can often be difficult to get a spot in one and you'd want to do what you need to in order to get on a waiting list, if needed, for the "best" one you can find.  

Best wishes being sent your way.  

More on Mechanical Turk - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

It could take a while to get going with decent earnings, but it would be very hard not to get "hired" by Mechanical Turk for transcription (you have to be a U.S. resident and take some qualifying tests is all).

This site is very helfpul, along with her E-book for $2.99, which I went ahead and got.

http://transcriptress.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Cashing-Transcription-Mechanical-Moneymakers-ebook/dp/B009Y1D2RO

According to her book, even though you'd eventually make more with CastingWords transcription HITs, you really want to start out with SpeechInk.  

Check it out.  For someone with no employment at all, it's better than nothing and could actually eventually provide a decent living.  I haven't done it myself (got hired by one of the other companies I mentioned), but it's my ace in the hole in case I need some more work later. 

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

Thanks for Mechanical Turk tip - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if it brought in a little money, it's still something!
You're welcome, and good luck. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There are other, "easier" ways to make money there (taking surveys, etc.), but transcription definitely packs the biggest bang for the effort.

speech ink - tagging

[ In Reply To ..]
and time stamps made my head spin. I also couldn't get the audio file to work on the test.

thank you to all your suggestions - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just now reading the "answers" to my question. I did apply to one general transcription. I had to take a test and waiting to hear if I passed it.

Also, talk to your landlord - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
Let your landlord know what is going on, present him with a plan about how you will get your rent paid, if you have been a good tenant, he (she) may work with you, and give you some time. And, at age 62, you can file for social security with a reduced benefit that will supplement your income when you do find a job.

You could start with Mechanical Turk in the meantime. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The general transcription job I got took me over a month from time of application and taking the test to actually getting started. There were some major glitches with their e-mail system, etc., apparently. If I hadn't been as persistent as I've been with them, it would have just fallen through. They tout needing workers on their Facebook page and elsewhere, but they have exceptionally poor follow-through with their applicants, so they're probably missing a lot of good candidates.

Anyway, like I said, Mechanical Turk is pretty much a sure thing as long as you pass the qualifying tests, which an MT should have no problem with. Get the style guides from the different companies (recommend just starting with SpeechInk) and follow those, and you should be good to go. Another nice thing about MTurk is that once you're qualified, supposedly you can listen to a sample of the file before accepting the HIT; i.e., legitimized cherrypicking, lol.

Have - you

[ In Reply To ..]
applied for public assistance?

what about disability? - if you cant stand or walk for long you may qualify

[ In Reply To ..]
keep us updated!

Disability - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Disability is extremely hard to qualify for. For one thing, you can only earn a certain amount of money in previous years. If you have earned more than that, you most likely will not qualify. Also, you have to have an actual physical disability that will eventually lead to your death. The other thing too to take into consideration is the OPs age. She is 61. She is eligible to apply for early SS 3 months before her 62nd birthday, which would be easier than her trying to qualify for disability, which could take years to be eligible for. I am 58 and was born with cerebral palsy and started the application process. Shortly after I applied, I found out that I was losing the peripheral vision on my right side. This led to me having an MRI. When the results were read by the neurologist, I found out that I was born with one-third of my brain missing as well as having had several "mini-strokes." People tend to think that disability is an easy process or a given and it is not. I was told that it would probably be 4 months before a decision was reached. They wanted financial information as well as names of doctors etc.

My suggestion to the OP would be that if she is within 3 months or so of turning 62, to start the application process for early SS.
Thank you nn - bleep
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it is very hard to get on disability. You have to live with another person until you get your decision. You have to go to court too. I did not know you can apply 3 months before your birthday, but do you start receiving benefits before your birthday?
That is true about waiting 4 months even if your condition is fatal because my ex-husband had systemic scleroderma and although he was an automatic disability, he still had to wait. Thank you for the information.
i don't understand - why do i see so many people - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
on the judge shows i watch - judge judy and peoples court - who are on disability - people who are on disability because they have "anxiety" or some other stupid mood disorder. I AM NOT KIDDING! recently, i saw an episode where a woman who had anxiety, said "my face gets clammy, my mouth gets dry..." and she's on disability for it! i would say about half the people i see on these shows are on some kind of welfare or disability - and most of them on disability can work! how do they do it? i'm guessing they get attorneys who LIVE to get people on disability. did you try that? this really enfuriates me! people who NEED it can't get it, but people who can work...AAAAAHHHHH!!
You are right about that curly - bleep
[ In Reply To ..]
Used to be if you were an alcoholic you got disability. Now you have a better chance of getting disability for mental problems like bipolar and other strange disorders. I may have a mood disorder and not even know it. But even if I did I don't know what to do anyway. You have to talk to people who know how to play the system. But now that I am way below poverty, I need to know how to play the system or I won't survive.
i've known people who knew how to play the system - - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
and it ticks me off! i've known TONS of people who have gotten disability because they look online to see what the symptoms of bipolar, major depressive disorder, etc. are, or they are on workers comp for back pain and stay on it for years, or they get welfare because they're construction workers who can't find construction work in the winter (so do something else in the winter!), or - oh dear God - i could go on for days! seriously, i think if someone really needs disability, their best option is to get an attorney from tv.
Hi Curly regarding your post about getting an attorney - Poster from above - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, mental illness comes into play as a disability because of the fact that it is a condition that would ultimately lead to your death. About a year and a half ago, I contacted an attorney regarding my cerebral palsy. This attorney told me "not to worry about the paperwork being filled in and that they would handle it," so at that point, I did not file for SSDI online through the SS website. This attorney then directed me to have an examination done by "a neurologist" that they hired for me in the South Florida area (where I was living at the time). I saw this doctor, and he examined me for about a total of 5 minutes and did not tell me that I needed any kind of diagnostic testing whatsoever. About a month or so later, I got a call from the attorney's office telling me they were not going to take the case after all. I am and will be forever grateful to my eye doctor who determined that I was losing my peripheral vision on my right side and who felt that it was due to trauma and not something like glaucoma or macular degeneration. I self referred myself to a neurologist who practices in the town that I am currently living in and he in turn, ordered an MRI be done. That is when I found out that I had suffered several small strokes and am missing one-third of my brain. By all outward appearances, I appear "normal," with the exception of the fact that my whole right side is spastic and I walk with a limp. My speech, in spite of having had a series of small strokes, is normal. However, this condition will now lead to my death and will never get any better and there is no way of treating it. This is what my claim for SSDI is based on. This time, when I filed, I filed through the SS website and had additional paperwork sent to me, which I filled out and returned. At this point, I hope to hear something back hopefully no later than December and SS is starting to crack down on the people who have been "fraudulent" in filing for disability. So just because a person does not appear to be disabled doesn't mean that they aren't disabled in some way.
Forgot to add regarding SSDI - Poster from above - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding applying for and receiving SSDI, there is a certain amount of money that you cannot have exceeded in making every month or every year. Also, you must have had a condiition that would not allow you to work for one year before filing for benefits. So far this year, I have only worked from December through June and made less than $1000 a month. I also cannot meet the requirements for VR editing that a lot of these companies require because of the cerebral palsy and the spasticity that I have on my right side. I am not able to use my keyboard for VR shortcuts, nor am I able to meet the LPH requirements for either typing or VR and 2 years ago, was fired from Nuance because I could not meet their requirements. Most people do not hire an attorney right off the bat and basically, the only time an attorney is involved is after an individual has been denied SSDI at least 3 times on average. If the case is won by the attorney, then they get a percentage of any back SSDI awarded to you.
to poster from above "nn" - bleep
[ In Reply To ..]
I love your story, it really shows how state doctors have no idea what they're doing or they just don't care. It is a miracle that your "real" neurologist ordered an MRI. Nobody orders MRI's unless something is really messed up. If we were well into O-Care you may not even have had an MRI ordered, who knows. But I am glad you are going to get SSDI and that there are still caring doctors that pay attention.
What "state doctor"? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm confused ... you are now talking about "state doctors" not knowing what they are doing. I don't see a post that talked about "state doctors" at all. The post you referred to, by nn, mentions a doctor affiliated with an attorney. He happened to be located in South Florida. South Florida isn't even a "state" which could have employed him!

Oh, dear. "If we were well into O-Care..." You're one of those. - well, best of luck anyway. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Just couldn't help yourself, could you? Gotta drag in your propaganda! - JustStopIt
[ In Reply To ..]
Can't you just be helpful without the propaganda? You do realize there's a difference between propaganda on Fox News and reality, right?
cerebral palsy and what you're going through - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
is a WORLD of a difference from "anxiety." I have anxiety AND i've been diagnosed with bipolar, major depressive disorder, social anxiety disorder AND agoraphobia, BUT I STILL WORK! this woman stood before the judge and had every opportunity to explain her "disability" - she said, "my mouth gets dry and my face gets clammy" - so you get paid for that my the american taxpayers? you can't do ANYTHING for your pay? ridiculous! and i've seen this sort of thing a thousand times on judge shows! my nephew has multiple sclerosis, so, believe me, i understand people can LOOK "normal" but still be unable to work - when they are asked what is your disability? and they give the ridiculous answers they do, then YES they can work! AGAIN, when the government hands it out to people with MOOD disorders when people like you and my nephew and this woman asking about it here because she can't stand for long, etc., then THAT is the real tragedy. FRAUD is RAMPANT in disability and welfare - RAMPANT!
Curly, I so agree with your post - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes there is a world of difference and I have to agree with you about people with "somewhat treatable conditions," like anxiety etc., getting SSDI. If these people receive proper medication and treatment/counseling, then they should be able to work. I was the first baby that the doctor ever delivered back in the mid-50s. My CP was "blamed" on the fact that the doctor apparenty panicked during my delivery. I went through years of seeing orthopedic doctors, wearing casts, braces, special shoes, etc., but never once did any doctor mention diagnostic testing and back in those days, it wasn't readily available. Most of my doctors throughout my life have just listed CP as one of my diagnoses and never done anything about it until recently. Also, during my growing up years, my mother sought to get assistance through the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and other sources, but was always denied. Again, because of the advent of VR and companies wanting us to use the keyboard more than the mouse, I have an extremely hard time because of the spasticity I have on my right side and have a hard time using the keyboard for VR commands. I am also at the point in my life where it would be extremely hard for me to wear high heels. In the last five years, I have broken my right ankle as well as fractured my pelvis, and I really do not want to take those risks again.

I actually started pursuing disability because of family urging me to do so. There are relatively new apartments here in the town where i currently live that are for people who are 62 and older or disabled. Well, my father kept saying, "you're disabled," with the idea that I could apply to this place and be accepted. I think in his mind he forgot to realize or actually didn't realize that I actually had to be classifed as "disabled" by "government standards," and that I couldn't just walk into the apartment office and say, "hey look at me, I walk with a limp and am therefore disabled." I have to be classified as disabled, according to what our government considers disabled.

I think too, what some people don't realize is that there are different categories as far as being disabled are concerned. A person can be be receiving "temporary disability," which is usually the result of some kind of accident, which can be work-related or otherwise. There is partial disability, where you only receive a certain percentage based on your disability, and then there is full disability, where you have a condition that renders you incapable of being able to do any kind of work. So in essence, you may see or hear of someone who is on disability, but to you, that person looks perfectly normal and seems to function perfectly normally however, they could be receiving temporary or partial disability. The temporary disability only lasts until that person is able to go back to work.
You don't have enough information to judge - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
You may feel frustrated and even angry over perceived fraud and while it does exist, you really don't know *enough* and any case see on TV for a few minutes to judge...

Many people would prefer a job to disability, like the original poster but just cannot find one they can do in their condition. Glad disability exists for those type people...
when a person - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
can stand and walk and stand in front of the judge on television and says she has disability because "my mouth gets dry and my face gets clammy" - YES, i CAN judge. disability for THAT? ridiculous!! go to work, lady! THEN it's not there for people like THIS woman - who can't work and needs disability! even the JUDGES on these shows - who see hundreds, probably THOUSANDS of people on disability - judged her harshly!
Anxiety - Medical Monkey
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to disagree with you. I have severe anxiety and depression I have worked since I was 17 and now at 52 the anxiety and depression have got to the point that I cannot concentrate or focus on my job. Most MTSO require 99% accuracy and high level of lines per hour to just keep a job. A person, like me, with these problems, with added medical problems of my knee needing replacement and my hip on the same side needing replacement, sciatia nerve damage, I have applied for disabiity. I have tried for nearly a year with Nuance and I cannot take the mental stress, even though I had great supervisor, I could not take either the pain or stress. Please understand, anxiety is a real disease, it is just not "seen" unless the person is actually having an attack in front of you. Never judge a book by its cover.
i also have anxiety, depression, bipolar, - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
first, when i worked years ago at columbia university i knew a paraplegic in a wheelchair WHO WENT TO WORK EVERY DAY! i started working when i was 12. i am now 50. i've had anxiety plus others since i was in my mid teens. i now have been diagnosed with bipolar, anxiety, major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder, and i STILL WORK. this woman had every opportunity to tell the judge why she was on disability when the judge asked. she said, "my face gets clammy; my mouth gets dry." she was on disability for anxiety. period. i've seen dozens and dozens and dozens of other cases on these judge shows of people who are on disability for stupid sh, and i'm sick of it. what YOU talk about here is NOT being on disability for anxiety. you have many other issues going on and you've worked for DECADES. i've seen dozens and dozens of cases where people in their TWENTIES and THIRTIES are on disability pretty much for the rest of their lives for anxiety and mood disorders. RIDICULOUS!!!! people MUST work UNLESS THEY ARE UNABLE TO WORK. i am so sick of hearing people say, "disabled doesn't mean UNABLED." if that's the case, then WHY OH WHY are the american taxpayers paying millions of people who call themselves disabled to sit at home and do nothing?! MOST PEOPLE CAN AND SHOULD WORK! disability is for those who CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT WORK!
no, you don't need a physical disability that will eventually lead to your death - Backwards Typist
[ In Reply To ..]
My niece is on disability. She is in her 40s and has been on it for 5 years. She has asperger's syndrome. I don't believe this will lead to her death, but she got disability. It took her 2 years.

I became partially disabled last year but I didn't try for disability because of the amount of time it would take and I don't know if I would have that long (no spring chicken either), so I'd rather live in peace rather than live with stress.
P.S. - Backwards Typist
[ In Reply To ..]
Knowing my luck, I'd qualify for disability and get my first disability check the day AFTER I die. :)

to Have - you - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
I did. I get food stamps but they will be taking off 50 dollars off the 200 I was getting per month. And I got help with my electric bill for now. It's called HEAP, Do not opt for the PIP because it becomes a nightmare to fix again. So for now I am getting free electricity, but only until December. Then I will try to apply again. I also have free healthcare, which a friend told me about in my county, and they have helped me tremendously.

hang in there - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you tried contacting your local job service? Where I live, they set you up so you can search jobs online at home. Maybe a Walmart greeter position? Or possibly a part-time secretarial job maybe at a church, where you can sit down? I am so very sorry, please try and keep your chin up. Will keep you in my prayers too.

Local job service - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
I look at my local jobs every day. Same old thing, very limited jobs. I can not be a greeter, you have to stand too much and I don't like saying hello to people all the time. But there is this one Wallmart greeter I see all the time and he gives me the creeps, he never smiles or says hello. I have no idea what he is doing there. ha ha I tried to apply for a church and their application is miles long and it feels like you're applying for a highly classified, top secret, security clearance job, it was so ridiculous I couldn't finish it. But yes, I look every day. I noticed I don't qualify for certain jobs just because I don't understand Excel. So tomorrow I am going to an Excel class at the library (they have free classes, you pick up a schedule to find out when and where).

contact - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
your local mental health services. You will be able to get treatment for your depression as well as work with agencies to help find you secure housing and guide you to job options.

Good luck.

Contacting your clergy person might be..... - Mom22dogs

[ In Reply To ..]
.....another option. Please know that you are not alone in this!

to contact - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
The free healthcare that my friend told me about for my county is providing me with my depression, as well as diabetes that I didn't know I had till now. I don't know about secure housing. I would end up on the icky side of town where it's dangerous to walk from your car to your apartment. Right here where I live is a 50 plus where I only pay 430 a month and free heat. Its a good deal and its the only thing saving me from getting thrown out of here. I am so grateful to all the suggestions from everyone and will do what I can to change my life.

Can't find job - Unemployed

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe this link will help you out. Best of luck to you and God bless.

http://www.examiner.com/article/15-companies-that-offer-legitimate-work-at-home-jobs

I have been on this route too - and i found that

[ In Reply To ..]
even if these MAY be legitimate companies that hire at home workers, the jobs have nothing to do with transcription, are very high end jobs like IT, programming, engineering, etc and you need to have upteen years of experience to qualify. Just saying. AND there is no guarantee of being hired.

Just want to say... - Sandy

[ In Reply To ..]
It's so nice to see so many people supporting someone who needs help.

Can't find a job - JM

[ In Reply To ..]
I would at least go down to the local welfare office (or whatever they call it now) and see if I could some kind of financial help.

to JM - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I did that already a while back. I can only get food stamps and I applied for HEAP to pay for my electric bill till December. Have no idea what happens after that though. I also got free medical help. All these things are a great help, but my problem is that I get very very little from unemployment, today is the last day and I have no idea if I will get a tier 1 for 14 more weeks, but I do know that the sequestration will deduct 16.36 percent off of what little I get now. I will only get enough to pay my rent, if that happens. I have been applying for jobs like crazy. I got some good advice, and I thank everyone for your wonderful concern. I learned some new things.

Bleep - regarding Social Security - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I know from talking to other people as well as SS office itself that they suggest you applied for the "reduced benefits" approximately 3 months before your 62nd birthday. I had also recently contacted SS regarding possibly collecting something on my late husband's SS (he was in the military for 21 years and retired from the Army at about age 45). The person that I talked to advised me to file for those benefits 3 months before my 62nd birthday at a minimum. I will also be looking into possibly getting his military retirement; however, that is a bit different from the way SS works. Also, we lived together for 3 years, but got married in November and he died in March of the following year from cancer, so there might be a fine line there as far as dates are concerned and it may be looked at in the sense that I married him to get his retirement, which was not the case at all. We were planning on getting married anyway, but his diagnosis of terminal cancer just happened to speed the process up a bit.

As far as having to live with someone else when you are either filing for SS or SSDI, I have never heard of anything like that and I think you may have been misinformed in that regard. People apply for SSDI all the time and they remain at their address during that entire time. About 2 years ago, my significant other (who is now 64), was going to apply for SSDI because he had been diagnosed with CHF and emphysema. However, because he was close to being 62, (I think he was about a month or 2 away), he was advised to just apply for regular Social Security. He went down to the local office and applied in person and was approved immediately, so every case is different.

ssdi - bleep

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, what I meant about living with someone else was, that if I can't find a job and run out of unemployment, I would have to live with someone else and make no money in order to qualify for disability. I do know that if I was working I would have to make less than 1,010 dollars a month. Which is more than I'm getting now on unemployment. But if I am working, then that means I can work and don't qualify for SSDI, so the only other option is to live with someone till your SSDI goes through. But I wouldn't do something like that, I am disabled in other ways, can't stand, stoop or walk for very long. If I got a cashier job, I would need a doctor's note to be able to sit down while cashiering. My other question about SS benefits was If I apply for my reduced benefits 3 months before my 62nd birthday, do I still have to wait until after my birthday to start receiving my first check (even though I applied early). thanks

bleep -- answers to SSDI and SS - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct with certain income requirements having to be met with SSDI. Also, you can't have worked for one year prior to filing for your disability. I worked from December through June as an IC, but qualified with the income because I was only making 0.7 cpl and last year, made less than 12K a year.

As far as early filing for SS, I know in part, it's due to the paperwork involved. I believe that they do make it retroactive because in the case with my boyfriend, he filed for SS in I believe September or October and didn't receive his first check until he turned 62 in January. He was going to file for SSDI, however, because he was so close to turning 62, he was advised by the person at SS to just file for regular early retirement SS.
Social Security - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe how many people are misinformed about Social Security. "You can't have worked for one year prior to filing for your disability." That is absolutely not true. If you become disabled today, you can apply for disability benefits and if you are found to have an accepted disability on their list and cannot work, you can start receiving benefits in as little as 6 months from the start of your disability. You should be able to also receive cash welfare to help pay bills if you are able to receive food stamps and medical insurance if you are unable to find a job. If you are on the welfare system, then you wouldn't need to work and could apply for your social security disability benefits. You can apply right online on their website. I applied for my husband online and he got his decision within 4 months and it was approved right away without a lawyer. I know that is exceptional and not the norm, but it can happen. It really all depends on your doctors and your disability, as well as your work history. Filling out the forms in total completeness also helps. When you know that you are going to the doctor for an appointment that Social Security is going to be monitoring the records for, you make sure to tell your doctor to be as thorough and truthful as possible in his records so as to give SS all the information they need to know.

Apply to Accentus! - Bonita

[ In Reply To ..]
For heaven's sake - apply to Accentus. They are screaming for new MTs. They do hire new grads, as well. They have both Canada and the U.S. and if there is nothing on a U.S. hospital there are tons on the Canadian side and you are allowed to work on a Canadian hospital from the U.S.

Accentus - MT headed

[ In Reply To ..]
They are now owned by Nuance, something to keep in mind (see the Nuance board for the good and bad).

No work - telluride

[ In Reply To ..]
So sorry... but not hopeless! Go on-line and start calling transcription companies...even lawyers. Update your resume and post it on LinkedIn or job-finding websites like Indeed. Don't give up - there is work out there!

Are you an experienced MT? Lots of companies hiring. sm - CuriousCat

[ In Reply To ..]
I know that many companies here get a bad rap, but if you are an experienced MT who is reliable and accurate, there are jobs out there. They might not be perfect for some, but they are jobs and work well for some people. Try MModal, Nuance, Keystrokes, New England Medical Transcription, Chase Transcription, Superior Global Solutions, FutureNet, Precyse, Accusis, Accentus and every other one you can find. There ARE jobs out there. Don't get discouraged, just dig your heels in and spend every hour of the day looking for a job. It should only take a few days to hit all of them. Good luck to you. You can do this!

Agree! I've just been offered work by 3 companies! - GoForIt

[ In Reply To ..]
There IS work that would at least last until you can retire at 62! Try the companies the poster recommended - it's better than living under a bridge! Yes, no one pays like they used to, but they might provide enough to keep a roof over your head and the lights on. I also recommend general transcription. I have just tested for a company and am in the running. Also, I have been hired by a general transcription company that actually prefers full-time employment. I had to test, but it wasn't too difficult, and I've completed my first large report. I'm comparison shopping, so to speak, but I AM finding work. You can do this! Just Google "transcription" and get going.

This is my plan: I'm too old for college debt (and I would have to obtain loans), and I'm finding it tough to break out into the local economy with my age--nobody wants to hire Nanna!--and most recent and lengthy experience being transcription. So, I'm hanging on to medical transcription/editing and looking for general transcription opportunities. It's not easy, but we can do this!! Please e-mail me and I'll send you names of where to apply.

I had you on my mind all day yesterday and today and been thinking about what you can do. Please hang in there! I really think you can make it the few months to go until you're able to retire. You have experience and just need to test well for a company that's hiring.

Similar Messages:

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Cant Find Help....
Dec 18, 2009

Hello again,   So this test the doc speaks of i cant find anywhere.... "reduction enforced dispensatory capacity (FDC)"  I ve searched hi, and low and everywhere I can think, and I cant find anything.    any help?   ...

Is There A Way To Find Out...
Mar 02, 2010

which MTSO took over the transcription from another MTSO?  For example, if company A typed for a hospital, but the hospital didn't renew their contract and went to company B, can you find out the name of company B? ...

Does Anyone Else Find It Odd
Jun 16, 2010

When companies post a job for a transcriptionist with good "grammer"?? ...

Where Can I Find The BOS?
Jun 25, 2010

Where can I find the BOS?  Tried, but can't seem to locate it.  Thanks. ...

Can't Find It --
Sep 01, 2010

It sounds like 'feena-chietti' sign used along with Lachman's sign for testing the knee. Any ideas?  TIA. ...

Do Any Of You Find That You Are
Jun 18, 2011

actually faster if you type the report instead of editing with VR?  I have found that sometimes if I type the report myself from scratch, but leave the "speech edited" report at the bottom for reference, I am actually faster.  So, even though I am not making as much per line as I would for a straight typing account, for some jobs (and some days), I make more by completely typing the job myself.  I make 0.516 cpl for editing.  And in someways I feel I need to type sometimes t ...

Anyone Know Or Know How I Can Find Out?
Dec 02, 2010

When you quit, when does your health insurance coverage end?  The last day you work?  Or the last day of your last month? My CCM isn't answering me and every time I try to look on MQ Central it slows to a crawl and I can't find anything. Thanks in advance!   ...

How Do I Find Out Who's Above My CCM?
Jan 07, 2011

I know I wrote this information down somewhere but apparently I lost it.  I need a 500 page notebook to keep all the CCM info straight - new CCM, new page.  Anyway, I've been emailing my current CCM a question all week and she won't answer.  I don't know if I can search for this information on the MQ website or not.  I looked a little bit but didn't get anywhere.  I can't talk to her on the phone because she irritates the %&*& out of me. ...

Okay, Here's Another One I Cannot Find...sm
Mar 14, 2011

I know there's S-shaped scoliosis.  That's easy enough to find.  How does one hyphenate "reverse S shaped scoliosis" ?  I want to go with reverse-S-shaped, but that looks a little awkward.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for any help!  ...

In The BOS Where Would I Find Whether To Use
Sep 03, 2011

Hodgkin's lymphoma or Hodgkin lymphoma, Down's syndrome or Down syndrome, Crohn's disease or Crohn disease.  I know there is a rule but can't remember to save my life! ARG!  I need a huge pile of chocolate! ...

Can't Find
Sep 08, 2011

Sentence is: Tylenol and NSAIDS are no longer s/l apa-kay-shush. I don't think it is a medical word, means the medications are no longer helping but I can't find this word anywhere! Any suggestions anyone? ...

Can Someone Tell Me Where To Find....
May 28, 2012

the policy on when there is no work available during your scheduled shift, especially on holidays?   Thanks! ...

I'm Sure It Was Sent But I Can't Find It ...
Jun 03, 2012

Does anyone know the LAST DAY for open enrollment?  ...

Need To Find New Mt Job
Aug 03, 2013

My husband has a 98% chance of relocating for his job.  Right now I have the perfect transcription job onsite.  However, I know I will have a hard time finding a job onsite when we move and i am considering the work at home option.  I have done it before and my kids were younger, so i know that there can be problems with availability of work.  I must admit that I am spoiled to first shift, but I know that I will probably have to work second shift.    My purpose in ...

How To Find GP?
Apr 08, 2015

I'm learning editscript when I couldn't understand the GP name dictated. I've gotten a few errors back saying that the GP name was in the header. I don't see it anywhere. I see a drop down for speaker and signing clinician. I can search for the name but if I can't hear it well enough to know what initials I should search for....is there something else I should be checking? They aren't giving me any info about it. Thx for any help.   ...

How To Find A Job Just After Graduating
Feb 15, 2010

Hello!  I was hoping someone could give me some pointers or ideas on where I could get my first job as a MT.  Does anyone know of any companies that are inclined to give newbies their first chance?  Are there any transcription jobs, not necessarily medical, that one could get easier to build experience?  If anyone has any comments please let me know.  Thank you. ...

Saw A Post And Can't Find It Now About
Feb 17, 2010

I know exactly the company you are talking about and have wondered the same thing. The person who wrote the rules must not have a full understanding of the VR program. At this company, we are supposed to adhere to the account specifics to a T if we type on the account, but if we get a VR job on that same account we are supposed to ignore the account specifics and leave it as VR puts it unless there are blatant errors. That makes NO SENSE. Why not train VR correctly in the first place so the repo ...

Very Interesting Find...
Mar 22, 2010

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/andrews-school-for-medical-transcription-c183013.html ...

Is Is Possible To Find A PT MT Job At Just 10 Hours
Jun 09, 2010

per week?  I work FT but my pay has been cut and I need to find PT work.  I think all I could handle would be 10 hours a week.  I could do this on weekends, 5 hours each.  Is this a fantasy?  Do companies want 20 hours per week?  Anyone work a job less than 15 hours a week?  TIA.  :) ...

Where Do I Find My Pay Stub?
Jun 25, 2010

I have direct deposit and am wondering......do they send me a paper pay stub or is there somewhere I can look to see this information? TIA   ...

Will I Be Able To Find Work? HELP!!!
Sep 15, 2010

I am brand new to doing med. transcription as a full-time job, I am reading alot of negative post about this field. I wanted a job to be able to be home with my children and earn a decent income as well. I am open to ANY advice. I have transcribed for quite some time but never for an office or company, I have done work for a few friends that are transcriptionist and then decided to seek training in the profession. I enjoy it immensely and hope I have made a good choice for me and my family. ...

Cannot Find This Abbreviation...
Sep 26, 2010

The doctor dictates, HEENT: PDRLUMI, otherwise unremarkable. Should I break this acronym into smaller segments? I cannot find this acronym on the internet. Does anyone know what it stands for? Thanks for your time and expertise. ...

Help! Newbie Trying To Find FIRST JOB!
Oct 06, 2010

I am a new MT looking for my first job, I have a lot of secretarial experience in addition to MT training. It seems like all the jobs want 2 years of experience. Are there internship programs out there? I noticed AHDI offers continuing ed classes, would that help? Thanks so much for any advice. ...

Cannot Find A Job For Decent Pay.
Jun 16, 2011

I have been unemployed for about a year now.  MQ took over my hospital and thus the entire transcription department was eliminated.  Even the union could not keep this monster out.   About 15 of us lost our careers.   I have looked into several positions and cannot find any company that will pay me even 80% of what I am taking home on unemployment benefits!!!  At 58 years of age I am too young to retire but perhaps too old to learn something new.  ...

I Know I Read This Somewhere But Can't Find It Now.
Jan 28, 2011

Does anyone know of a reference about whether or not cc recipients are typed in ALL CAPS?  I feel certain I've read this (maybe dreamed it?)!  Thanks! ...

Does Anyone Know How To Find Out How Many Employees
Jun 05, 2011

a company has employed?  How to find stats/revenue, etc.  I looked at Bizcompare but the info seems to be old and not accurate.  I am considering a company and want to know how many employees it has.  Thanks!  ...

Cannot Find This Word
Jul 28, 2011

The doctor has performed a biopsy, finding basal cell epithelioma. He found the lesion on the right sounds like "pena."  I can't find this word anywhere! ...

Word Find
Sep 07, 2011

Dictator is referring to a "gala" on the patient's skull.  Also, a postop healing wound is referred to as a "size."  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help! ...

How Do I Find Out My PTO Pay Rate?
Jan 06, 2012

We used to get a notice in the mail, but I have not gotten one in a long time.  I want to use PTo for NJA and get a guess on pay to see what bills I can and cannot pay with this upcoming check. ...