A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

scratch that! - kitty

Posted: Jun 12, 2014

I have this one dictator who about every other sentence says "scratch that" or "scratch that  sentence".  Mind you, she says this at the very end of a very long sentence, so there's a lot to delete.  

Urge to scratch someone's eyes out. :p  Do they have a clue what they're doing to us?

scratch that - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
We don't exist to them. They're in their own arrogant world.

Stuff like that - makes me

[ In Reply To ..]
soooooooo glad that I get paid by the audio minute! It's enraging to get docs like that. I feel your pain!

I put a QA note indicating "scratch what" or else - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
I scratch enough so that it makes no sense whatsoever.

once again - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
"Scratch that" is a command of the speech engine. When that is stated, the words that were just spoken are supposed to be removed from the document.

Just email the QA and tell them what's going on. The hospital needs to check things out and fix it on their end, or the problem will keep occurring.

scratch that! - kitty

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, most of them just say "sorry" rather than "scratch that" and then ramble on with a new sentence, still leaving me to delete the previous defunct sentence they want to change. :p "Sorry" doesn't really cut it.

I can explain it - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a command that's integrated into the speech. When a dictator says "scratch that," the speech engine is supposed to delete the last few words said. In the case of "scratch that sentence," it's supposed to remove the entire sentence. Obviously, that's not happening. It's possible that the command is not "checked" or has been turned off, and if that's the case then no amount of "scratch that" will remove anything.

Bring it to the attention of QA and ask them to touch base with the facility about this issue. Hopefully, they'll resolve the issue.

It's stuff like - this (rant alert!)

[ In Reply To ..]
that makes me wish this rotten job would just collapse and whatever is left would be rebuilt from the ground up. I can't count the hours I spend re-typing "scratched" sentences, listening to dead air or shrieking beeping screaming background noise or heavy pervert-sounding mouth breathing. I don't know if it's because I'm old and cranky now, but it seems like it was never this bad and getting worse every day.

How on earth did this become a job that pays piecemeal but the pieces we are given are garbage? Even if I was working in a sewing sweatshop they would provide decent quality cloth and buttons.

And before the MT martyrs come on and say "oh, that's just part of our jobs", no this crap was never just part of our jobs, any more than getting punched in the face or spit on on a daily basis is part of a nurse's or doctor's job, sometimes it happens, but it shouldn't on a daily basis. We used to have people who watched our backs, but not any more.

Rant over, more coffee, *expletive deleted*

We should set a date to visit our doctors... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Go into great detail about a medical problem we are having, answer questions about it and just before the doc prescribes a medication say "Scratch that", I just remembered a higher priority problem, and start over on that one. While explaining, make sure you are eating, chewing, coughing, burping, and taking phone calls.

I have a dream - when these bad dictators

[ In Reply To ..]
pass on and are at heaven's gate, St. Peter says something like "Sorry,you can't get admitted until you transcribe a bunch of bad dictation perfectly, including your own". Justice.
My dream - involves
[ In Reply To ..]
much more violence. Good thing I don't live anywhere near these jerks or I'd probably be on death row now, but who knows, maybe a judge would listen to some of the stuff we have to put up with and call it justifiable homicide!

It is getting worse because ... - and not going to get better

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to be getting worse because it IS getting worse. The dictation you are getting is what is left over that front-end SR can't handle, that back-end can't handle well enough for India to "edit," and that your supervisor doesn't want to cherry-pick. Your MTSO just dumps it on you.

It is unlikely to get better. Really, you ought to be looking for and training for a new career. There are lots of career fields that do not involve this nonsense, victimization, and abuse. The pay a lot better, too.

train for another career, huh? - Sole Provider

[ In Reply To ..]
Monday through Sunday: Sleep a little, get up early, type till you can't move, pay the bills, go back to sleep. MT pays so little that you have to work all the time, if there is enough, to eek out a living. Training for a new career doesn't pay the bills. if you were fortunate enough to have a husband or other person in your household who works, you probably wouldn't even be doing this crappy work in the first place. Who has time to train for anything with MT work choking the life out of us? For people who glibly hand out that kind of advice...Don't you think we want to train for a new career? Sure, I'll just trot on down to the local Wal-mart and get a job as a greeter. Oh, wait, can't do that. Who'll take care of the kids? Could go on for hours...
You seem to be stuck, then. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't see the possibility of getting a job that pays similarly, but only requires 40 hours, and you don't think you can manage 2 hours a day to train for a new career.

I don't think you don't WANT to train for a new career. I think you don't know what is involved in it, so you can't see how to fund it or do it.

I did it, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

THANK YOU! - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
Ignore those incapable of walking in any shoes but their own.
I walked in those shoes - too
[ In Reply To ..]
I walked in those MT shoes, too, Rose. When they started falling apart, I wore flipflops until I could learn a new career.

If your goal in MT is to have a job you love to hate, that's your choice.

My favorite is "quote, unquote" -- I usually just guess - susankay

[ In Reply To ..]
....but I hate to guess on any medical report...

Similar Messages:

Scratch
Feb 22, 2015

If this nitwit says "scratch that" ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to blow my brains out. Just another one of those nights.  And I thought we were having maintenance tonight so I could take a 4-hour nap in the middle of my shift.  Woe is me. ...

Starting From Scratch
Aug 22, 2013

Hello everyone! I finally made the decision to go to school for either MT or coding. Then I found this site. After all the research from other sources and especially comments on this message board, I am steering towards coding. Since I have absolutely no background in medical, (I'm currently a legal assistant), I was wondering what the thoughts were on someone starting from scratch. I noticed most going to Coding are coming from Transcription. Do I even have a chance? Also, I've seen ...