A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

productivity tips - kitkat

Posted: Jan 13, 2015

I'm wondering if anyone has any productivity tips for staying focused that they'd like to share.  I've been doing this for so many years, but it seems like a daily struggle to sit still for six to eight hours a day and just type report after report, especially when the laundry and housecleaning always seems to be calling out to me.  I've tried the 25 minutes on/5 minutes off without much success and am wondering what else works for people.

Thanks for any shares! 

What helps me is to keep a notepad by my desk - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Then as I think of other things I need to take care of, I jot them down. This helps me put them out of my mind until the transcribing time is finished.

Your statements just burn me up - Let me tell you why

[ In Reply To ..]
You have a job that you are allowed to stay at home and work. Not everyone has that opportunity. You disregard it as a "real" job because you don't know how to stay interested, thinking about housework instead? I will tell you probably have done this about twice as long as you and never have any problem with outside things taking my attention away from my job. If not for the occasional cup of coffee or glass of water my behind would be in my chair for the entire 8 hour shift. I would call names but do not care to be thrown off here. I think people who talk about I need to do the dishes, take care of the kids, blah, blah, blah must be people who have never had a job where they had to get their behinds out the doors and then they would be glad to have a job comfy like now. I hate and I mean hate ridiculous statements.

Me too, I've done this a LONG time--long enough to watch - income go from $60K to $40K

[ In Reply To ..]
That $60K was while doing laundry, dishes, running errands, and NOBODY cared. The work was done and everything was great. Now, they have me tethered with a ball and chain, and I miss my freedom. Don't tell me about your wonderful discipline. I did a magnificent job for the people I worked for. I worked when they NEEDED me to work. Never had a problem with being called in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT if they wanted something. I worked for a company that I had never met anyone I worked for or with. Got paid on time. I even ran $800 phone bills that they paid on time. There was mutual respect. Now they micromanage you to the nth degree and you have to worry about everything.

There isn't much love for the work left. It is a struggle to stay interested. I agree with the original poster.

Tips for the original poster -- come up with a challenge for yourself. If you have it in you, make it a productivity challenge. Unfortunately, anymore it is all just empty false rewards as the money isn't there anymore.

BTW--that $40K I'm working lots more hours than I was for $60K.

Am not feeling bad about your plight either - Let me tell you why

[ In Reply To ..]
You are the only one who can allow bad treatment if that is what happens to you. Why stay in a business where you feel tethered to a ball. If you are micromanaged, again on you. If I had such a bad job, I would change but you on the other hand let others bother you and micromanage you.
Better harness those unicorns and rainbows - Your compassion is out of control
[ In Reply To ..]
No message. Just imagining what a delight you must be at dinner parties.

My productivity tip is...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
not to think about laundry and housecleaning. I use my days off for that or do a few small house chores before my shift like loading the dishwasher and picking/tidying up the place. I worked a number of years inhouse, so housecleaning just never entered by mind and still doesn't. What you really need to do is take well-spaced breaks and walk around. My MTSO builds time into our shift for breaks and I need them and take them. But all in all, the most powerful motivator for me is that if I don't make money, I can't pay my mortgage and would have to move into senior subsidized housing. I have always said "take me out behind the barn and shoot me" if I ever have to move into a senior highrise. Yuck!

Time Management - Kindred

[ In Reply To ..]
I start early, finish late. Aim for 12-hour window. Get up about once an hour for 7th-inning stretch and take that time to do stuff around the house. Kids are older now and in school all day so nowhere near as many distractions. (Except husband is home from lay-off almost all the time now - drives me nuts!) Things were a LOT different when the kids were younger. Seemed like then I could not finish a single report without being interrupted. I prayed every day for more patience back then!

productivity - Maria

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was a transcriptionist (my last day was earlier this week), I put in my hardest/most productive editing during the first few hours of my shift like the first 4, edit as much as I can, so I could take a break or two (15 minutes each) later in the shift, when my concentration was decreased.

Also, I set a goal of how much I want to make each day, so I would have the money I needed two days before the end of the pay period, because there is hardly any work left toward the end of the pay period. So if we ran out of work, I could sit back relax and do little things around the house.

RE - MTguy

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently bought a book to help with my production called "How To Increase Your Income As A Medical Transcriptionist" and it has helped me a LOT. The book is available through Amazon.
Does it help with editing at all? nm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Productivity Tips For M*Modal? Using InstantText
Jul 09, 2011

I'm familiar with ExText and was quite fast.  I'm now working for a company with an M*Modal based speech editor.  It seems that to move the cursor, you have to take your hands off the home keys and move them to the Ctrl and arrow keys, and then back to the home keys to type/correct. This makes no sense to me; is this correct?  With ExTExt, for example, Alt U and Y moves the cursor and it had "magic' period, hyphen, comma keys, etc.   I've programmed shortc ...

Productivity???
Jun 14, 2012

I just don't get it.  When they started doing these productivity checks, I was at aan "inactive time" of a whopping 40% . . . or so they said.  I have steadily improved it every week and have dropped it down to 18, then 15, then 9, 9 and again 9.  However, my pay hasn't changed.  Doesn't that seem extremely odd?  Are we being cheated? ...

Is Is Just Me, Or Is This New PRODUCTIVITY
Jul 13, 2013

CALCULATOR just of a stupid waste of time.  I use a notebook, pencil, and calculator to track all the info I need to make sure I make my line count. I wonder how much time was spent and how much $$$ was paid to come up with this waste of time.  We actually do real work, but a lot of employees at MModal seem to have difficulty justifying their (probably much larger than our) paychecks ...

Productivity
Aug 21, 2013

I have decided that I am not going to stress about productivity any more.  I will do the best I can on each report, go as fast as I can, and if it's not good enough.....well, just let the chips fall where they may! ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

Productivity Question
Apr 07, 2010

Does anyone out there have their productivity bonus taken away if you make too many errors? For example, where I work if an incorrect date is put on a report or if a report is typed on the incorrect encounter we lose QA points. That then is added to the random QA done every month and if you go below a certain percentage you do not get your productivity bonus. Just wondering if this is standard? ...

Increasing Productivity
May 22, 2010

Anyone know any good advice on increasing productivty using Medrite or just in general? I have been working for almost a year since graduating and i'm getting better slowly but surely, but i'd like to see more progress, as my pay rate is on the low side and I figured if I can be faster than I can kind of give myself a raise. Any help would really be appreciated. ...

And Another Thing About That DQS Productivity BS...
Nov 30, 2010

Gross Lines?  Net Lines?  What exactly does that mean.  Should net lines be more?  If I really average what they say I do, I should be making 27/hour???  I times the net lines by my rate = 27.  Well, that is for SURE not the case.  I only wish.  And what difference does it make whether we use the mouse or not IF that is the most efficient way?  Will their ridiculousness never cease to amaze me?  ...

Productivity Report And Job Log
Dec 09, 2010

Been told in the past not to bother with keeping a job log.  Got my first productivity report today and boy and I glad I didn't listen to them and continued keeping my log and screen prints.  They only show base numbers.  No accounting for: Having to use mouse because keyboard shortcuts are hard on carpal tunnel suffers.  No time allowed for their FTR without QA research in past reports. Inconsistencies on slider bar. (they're never wrong.....WRONG) No time allo ...

Why Is It After Getting My Productivity Results
Jan 24, 2011

like such a failure?   Average lines per hour 250+ ASR (which I thought was pretty darned good for our ASR), and average inactive time 1.0 per report.   In the space of the past week, I find my daughter telling me I do not do a proper job in taking care of her son, my husband tells me that his house has never been messier and that I dont care for myself anymore, after scrubbing the carpets my cat puked all over the place as if to prove "I missed a spot" and then the productivity re ...

Do The Productivity Numbers Really Add Up?
Apr 13, 2011

My actual ASR lph and what they say I could do if there wasn't any "inactive" time is usually almost double. I have no idea how I can humanly close that gap. And yes, I am not using the dreaded mouse. I put my nose to the grind stone with absolutely no inactivity due to doing anything other than edit, and yet, I still come up with the lph they report I am doing rather than what they think I should be able to do without any inactivity. Interesting that this time they had a mouse click re ...

DEP MT's And ASR Productivity Statistics
Nov 11, 2011

Does anyone get emails weekly or every other week with their statistics for DEP and ASR?  I've been getting these and it includes suggestions to get more productivity such as, using left/right arrows, ctrl+shift+left, etc.  It also give me total gross AST activity length, length of time an ASR job is open, length of time spent making changes to an ASR, total inactivity length.  I don't know what to think about this, except that they want more work out of me. ...

Productivity Enhancements
Feb 14, 2012

AND THIS is what they come up with???  Hey MTs, it's all your fault!  We're gonna try to help you reduce all that inactive time you're spending! Couldn't be anything on our end!  It's absolutely insulting. ...

Productivity Time
May 10, 2012

Just curious .  .  . was anyone else shocked by an extremly high inactive time on their productivity report?  I was given an inactive time of a whopping 42%!!!!!!  How could that possibly be when I've never even been repriomanded for not producing enough?  So if this inacive time is accurate, that would mean that out of 8 hours a day, I am somehow sitting here for over 3-1/2 hours not working, and yet somehow still meeting my line quota?  Just wondere ...

Precyse Productivity
Jun 14, 2012

Any Precyse MTs having trouble meeting the 96% production time expectation?  How are you managing to do it? Work off the clock?  Thanks.  HR is supporting this push.  It was 35 hours on a 40 hour week, then 37.5 now 38.5.  thanks... ...

More On Productivity Email
Jun 20, 2012

Questions on understanding this productivity report.  I believe the "Your gross SR lines per hour" is the MModal calculation of our production for that week.  Is this correct? If so, why is my weekly calculation quite a bit higher than theirs? Also, apparently the average MT production is 195 lph.  Do most of you average this much?   ...

Higher Productivity--same Pay
Jun 28, 2012

After AGAIN seeing more productivity and no increase in my pay, I sent my CCM an e-mail asking to explain it.  Will keep you all posted!  Maybe everyone should do the same, let them see how frustrated we all are.  Betcha M*Modal is the only one reaping any benefits from our increased productivity.  Bet the suits are getting major bonuses while we can barely keep our heads above water. ...

Coding Productivity?
Mar 26, 2013

Can anyone doing coding tell me how your productivity is figured?  Are there a certain number of jobs you have to code within a certain time period?  I know with transcription it is minutes or lines or however your employer figures it, but did not know about coding. ...

Speeding Up Productivity
Apr 06, 2014

I am looking for suggestions to speed up my productivity. I have been with a company going on 7 months. Besides the fact that I have had numerous problems with their Service Manger, which has slowed my production, but I also use Dragon Speech; not only does that help with accuracy, but production. None the less, for a FT contractor, we are suppose to be doing a minimum of 1100 lines in an 8-hour shift. I work at times 14+ hour days, 6 days a week and still fall short by roughly 200-300 lines a d ...

Need Help Calculating Productivity
Dec 02, 2014

Can someone tell me how they calculate their productivity to get an hourly average...tired of watching the tracker software go up and down..thanks ...

Productivity Discrepancy
Feb 18, 2015

Is anyone else noticing a discrepancy between what the productivity number  is during transcription and the weekly productivity number posted to your email?  My productivity number during transcription is running 20-30 lines higher than the final number.  This has just recently started happening.  ...

Productivity: Am I Too Conscientious?
Mar 01, 2015

I was an IC for 20 years before having to work for a service.  I hated to have to leave a blank and in the beginning would spend a half hour searching references (pre-internet) not have to leave a blank.  This became a habit I find hard to break.   Although the MTSOs require you research previous reports to try to get a clue as to what mumble mouth is trying to say, is there really time for that when we have to meet production demands?  With good dictators I do 200 to 300 LPH ...

How Can I Increase Productivity?
Apr 23, 2015

I do transcription work for several different doctors and get a lot of pre-generated reports that just need editing.  Is there anything at all that I can do to increase productivity? Thank you all!  ...

What Are Your Productivity Requirements?
May 02, 2015

My company has progressively increased productivity requirements until I am really struggling to meet them.  I'm thinking about looking for another job, but I wanted to know if there are any lower requirements out there.  I would be grateful to anyone who is willing to share what the requirements for your company are.  You don't have to mention the name of your company, I'm just trying to get a general idea if there are lower requirements out there.  Thanks. ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...