A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

health insurance opt out? - Broke

Posted: Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone know if my employer can force me to buy the company-sponsored insurance? I can't afford it any longer, so I want to drop it for the upcoming enrollment.  Last year, there was a sheet that stated something like this: Opt out only with proof of coverage elsewhere and attach a copy of insurance card.

What company is this? Most MT companies... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At least most of the MT companies that I am familiar with would actually prefer for their MTs to NOT buy into their medical insurance. In fact, at least a few companies are actually trying to keep their full time MTs' line counts down below the minimum, just so the MTs will end up losing their benefits because they didn't make their minimum line counts.

I do know of some companies where you can opt out of the insurance only with proof of medical coverage elsewhere (i.e. through a spouse), but these are not MT companies and they are usually union jobs.

legal - Broke

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply. I'd rather not give the company name, though. I was wondering if they could legally make me buy the insurance and, if so, how can they? Isn't this what a lot of people are screaming about ObamaCare and being forced to buy something they don't want? To be clear, I'd like to have the insurance but, if it comes down to paying the mortgage or paying a health insurance bill of almost $500 a month, I have to go with the mortgage payment.

Can't help answer your question then - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but I can't really do much of any research into it for you since you don't want to give the company's name. Every company and industry is different.

As far as people screaming about ObamaCare forcing them to buy insurance, that is a different situation because it is a case of the government requiring its citizens to buy something. Your case appears to be different because you (I assume) are dealing with a private corporation.

Contact your state's Insurance Commissioner. They - will be able to answer this for you.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think they always ask you about your coverage - if not with them

[ In Reply To ..]
That is you have to tell them where you are covered. Not sure why. Could it already be mandatory to be covered if you are employed? This was about 4 years ago I had to provide name of company of insurance, so this may have been in place for awhile. I know I requested my company NOT offer insurance because looking at what I could get through "Obamacare", i.e. If you look on www.healthcare.gov and fill in the blanks, it looks a heck of a lot better than what I am required to pay and get for my money, i.e. NO deductible and NO out of pocket, with comparable premiums. But unless your company does not offer health insurance you cannot use that. So tell me how Obamacare is bad again? I wish we did have a choice...

Similar Messages:

Health Insurance For SE
Oct 14, 2009

Hey folks.  Does anyone know of a group health insurance coverage I can get even with preexisting issues?  My company doesn't offer it.  I've thought of switching companies but all the other ones sound so awful.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Health Insurance As An IC
Oct 21, 2010

I am considering becoming self employed (after a fashion) as an IC.  I have gone onto www.healthcare.gov and gone through the steps they advise when you want to take out private insurance.  Holy cow, the insurance plans offered varied in premium cost from $600 to $4000 per month for a family of 4, but the thing that got me was two items:  Maximum out of pocket for individual: 0$.  Annual deductible for individual: 0$.  Woohoo.  This just seems too good to be true.&n ...

Health Insurance, Ugh
Dec 15, 2010

Health insurance being dependent upon line account, even when they don't give you enough work, is a sham. ...

Health Insurance MM
Mar 14, 2012

Can someone tell me how much they pay for their health insurance per pay period with M-Modal?  Would you recommend carrying it?  Thanks ...

NJA - Health Insurance
Feb 18, 2013

What happens to our health insurance when we do not make 39 hours/week?  The past 2 pay periods, I have not made required amount of time. ...

Getting Health Insurance Through MM
Oct 01, 2013

I'm thinking about getting health insurance through MM and wondering what any of you who receive it think about it.  ...

? Re Health Insurance
Nov 07, 2013

How many hours per week does a Nuance MT have to work to qualify for benefits?  Is it only offered to official 'full-time' employees?  TIA!  ...

Health Insurance
Feb 21, 2015

Could anyone tell me what they paid for health insurance in 2014 through Nuance for you and your spouse and also what you are paying in 2015?  Also, could someone tell me what they paid for the health insurance for 2014 and 2015 for just themselves? I couldn't afford to take the insurance and I'm trying to figure out if it was more than 8% of my income so I can avoid paying the tax penalty.  I don't think it was for just me, but I think with my husband added on it might h ...

HELP! Need Health Insurance
Jun 26, 2015

I've always had my own health insurance.  I didn't want to get stuck with whatever plan my employer happened to offer, and I didn't want to worry about losing my insurance if I changed jobs. But now the company I'm with is getting out of the insurance business, and I need to find new coverage.  The company I work for offers insurance, but like I said above, I don't want their plan.  And since they offer it, I'm not eligible for ACA (and I don't ...

Transtech Health Insurance
Nov 10, 2009

Can anybody tell me what kind of health insurance plan Transtech has?  Is it HMO, PPO, . . or do they have different plans to choose from?  I'm also very interested to know how much it is and how much the deductible would be.  I'm 51 years old, so good health benefits is very important to me.  Also, I would appreciate any feedback on abt other companies out there with great health insurance.  Thank's! ...

New Health Insurance Reform
Mar 30, 2010

With this new healthcare reform, does this mean that outsourcing companies are going to have to provide health insurance to MTs?  Even though you may be an independent contractor, you still work for the company.  With these oursourcing companies, I sure hope they will be required to offer health insurance, even if they MTs dont or cannot meet the line requirements.  This should be a very interesting concept to know about when the healthcare reform is in place!  I always thoug ...

Group Health Insurance For MT's?
Jun 14, 2010

Is there a group that gives health insurance to MT's on a group rate?  Frustrating to be self-employed and not get a "group rate" .  Ideas please? ...

Transcend - Health Insurance
Jun 16, 2011

What company provides health insurance for Transcend- Thanks! ...

Can You Work PT And Still Get Health Insurance?
Jan 10, 2011

I want to take the plunge and try to find a different job but I want to keep my toe in the door here to see if I can find something better.  However, I cannot afford to be without insurance.  Can you get bennies working 32 hours a week? 24?  ...

Health Insurance Options Available Now To Anyone
Jan 30, 2011

To those of you who desperately need insurance now, here is a great place to look for temporary insurance.  If you eventually find out that COBRA is not going to happen or LM jerks you around so long you miss the deadline, you can still qualify for Uninsurable Risk insurance depending on the State you live in.  Some of these plans may even be cheaper than COBRA, which is something you might want to look into.   It is definitely worth your time to check this out instead of just wa ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

Health Insurance Cards?
Jul 09, 2011

I signed up for medical and dental insurance July 1.  Do we get cards in the mail?  Thank you! ...

If It Is Possible To DROP The Health Insurance?
Aug 21, 2011

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to DROP the health insurance?  I can't make ends meet so I wanted to know if I could drop it and have additional money in my check   ...

How Does The Health Insurance Work?
Aug 22, 2011

I just recently got MQ health insurance.  I was wondering how it works since it is just a HSA and not a PPO or HMO.  Do I bring my card with me and they swipe it and the payment comes directly from the insurance or do I pay and get a receipt and then have to submit the receipt with paperwork to United Healthcare for reimbursement?  I have never used an insurance like this, if you can can it that.  Thank you. ...

Nuance Health Insurance
Nov 09, 2012

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have heard this insurance plan (BC/BS?) does not cover primary care office visits until you reach a 2500 dollar deductible, no copay anymore, paying for the whole visit??  I thought all insurance companies had us pay a copay, not the whole cost of the office visit.  What about prescriptions, do we pay the full price for them now too, or is it still about a 15 dollar copay?  I am left wondering how they got this kind of insuranc ...

Transtech Health Insurance?
Jan 15, 2013

Transtech's ad does not specifically mention health insurance as part of their benefits package, does anyone know if they offer it?  Thanks in advance. ...

Health Insurance Rates?
Nov 05, 2013

Holding my breath to see what is going to happen with our insurance next week. Their statement "rates will stay the same for "2014" was made before we got switched to another insurance. Guess I'll get in line behind everybody else in the US who is getting screwed with their health insurance. ...

If Health Insurance Disappears
Dec 23, 2013

If Nuance does away with employee health insurance I see no reason to stay.  Obamacare sux and I'm trying to avoid it. If the company throws us all to Obamacare exchanges they'll see a huge walk out I'm sure. ...

MModal Health Insurance
Jan 08, 2014

Our previous coverage with United Healthcare did not cover any kind of weight loss surgery.  Does anybody know if Cigna does, such as a lap band? ...

Health Insurance Question
Mar 13, 2014

Am I understanding correctly from a previous post that if we have insurance with Nuance we are inelligible to go on the exchange site to get private health care?  This policy with no co-pays makes it impossible to afford to go to a doctor's office. I feel I'm paying for a policy I really can't use. ...

Patient First Health Insurance
Jul 26, 2014

Can anyone please tell me what the monthly premium would be for family coverage for Patient First health insurance? Thanks.  ...

How Much Is Single Health Insurance At Keystrokes?
Oct 16, 2009

nm ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Info Webmedex On Health Insurance
Dec 01, 2009

I am so sick of not making any money!  I brought home about 16,400 this year and this is only my 5th year in MT, so I suppose that is okay... not really.  I found out there are brand new MTs in my company making more then me!  I was like come on now!!!  Anyway, I have decided to make ends meat that I need to take another 8 hour job.  So I will be working the dreaded 16 hour work day to make sure me and my 3 kids have a roof over our heads.  I know I can do it, but i ...

Medquist Health Insurance Info?
Jun 28, 2010

Can anyone tell me about MedQuist's health insurance (for just me - I live in North Carolina)?  I am afraid there is a hysterectomy in my future and I am really wondering how high the deductibles are and how much they pay after you've met them.  I'd be eligible in August, I think.  So, someone ease my mind that it's better than the private policy I have right now where I pay $230 a month for a $3, 500 deductible with $3, 500 coinsurance and they pay 50% of sur ...