A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

do you have to pay self-employment taxes? - BEB

Posted: Apr 23, 2012

If you are an independent contractor, do you have to pay self-employment taxes?

Yes. ALL taxes are your responsibility. Probably about - 20% of income. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Independent Contractor - greyhound mom

[ In Reply To ..]
You are responsible for all taxes. They should be paid quarterly. Otherwise at the end of the year, you are stuck with a big tax bill.

I have a tax preparer, and she lets me know exactly why my quarterly taxes are for the following year.

my bottom line percentage of tax is 40% - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Do Any Companies Offer Statutory Employment Anymore? Take Out My Taxes And FICA, Sm
Oct 09, 2013

no other benefits, let me determine how many lines I will do and what days, and leave me the heck alone? I miss MDI-MD. :( ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

IC/Taxes
Jan 03, 2010

I worked as an independent contractor for the first 5-1/2 months of 2009, but when reading the IRS definition of independent contractor, I realize that description did not fit my position.  Will I still need to pay self-employment tax? ...

IC Taxes And HELP
May 19, 2010

Hi,  Just accepted an IC position from a private individual.  I now have to deal with estimated taxes,, been a long time so I have questions.  Pretty basic, been reading,, I will not recieve a check prior to May 31, so I will be doing ET for the first time September 15, 2010.  How do I calculate how much to send?  I have heard that IC should have a separate checking account and make the deposit in there of the IC check and "pay" myself from there? Any thoughts, advice, s ...

Do Taxes Yourself?
Jan 26, 2011

I would like input on whether you do your taxes yourself or take them to a professional?  I had a local accounting firm do mine for a few years and now they are just H&R Block and the rate I pay keeps going up.  I have looked at a few do your taxes online yourself and H&R seems to be reasonable online (half of what the place charges).  Who does their taxes themselves and what is your experience with it?  Thanks for any help or advice you can give.  ...

Taxes!!!
Jun 14, 2011

I am an IC and am being choked by self-employment taxes.  It seems like I work to pay the taxes.  Anyone have any tax advice?  Does anyone else feel this way? ...

IC Taxes
Jun 13, 2012

I have been an employee since the start of my career and never had to worry about taxes.  For some time I have been entertaining the thought of taking an IC position on the side, but then I was told that as a self-employed person I would be carrying 35% tax liability.  That scared me out of my wits.  I am sure this does not apply literally, but I want to know how things would pan out for an IC who earns $45,000 in a calendar year.  How would you break things up as expenses in ...

W2 For Taxes
Jan 22, 2015

For those of us lucky enough to be away from this horrible company does anyone know when we can expect to get our W2 forms? ...

Wow, First Taxes And Now Work?
Nov 09, 2009

I received a message today while filling out an application with Encompass stating, "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer employment to residents in your area at this time due to the high cost of doing business in your state. We apologize for any inconvenience."  I live in Upstate NY.  The property taxes are a killer but to be denied work because cost of living is unaffordable?  ...

Regarding Post Below About Not Enough Fed Taxes
Jan 28, 2010

out, see your federal tax booklet, Schedule M, Making Work Pay.  This should help you in not having to pay as much in to the IRS.  HTH ...

Question Regarding Taxes
Jan 14, 2011

If you work out of your house as a ful-time employee, can you still have tax write offs like you are an I/C? TIA ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...

Question Regarding Taxes For IC
Mar 19, 2012

Last year I purchased a laptop for work.  It's only used for work and nothing else.  I'm reading all the forms and directions, but not understanding where I record it.  I think it's too high cost for just office supplies, so started reading about form 4562 - Depreciation, but that it totally confusing.  Has anyone ever listed a computer?  If so would you let me know where I need to put the info.   Tx - kd ...

IC Taxes - Kansas. Sm
Mar 28, 2012

I just switched to an IC position on January 1, and I'm trying to figure out how much I'm going to need to pay April 15.  I've always been an employee in the past.  I plan to talk to my accountant, but I'm trying to figure out a ballpark amount to make sure I've held back enough.  Is the added 7.65% just paid to the IRS, or do we need to pay extra to the state as well (Kansas) in addition to amount I will already pay them?  Thanks for any help.  ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

W-2's From M*Modal For Our Taxes...
Jan 16, 2013

Has anyone received their W-2 from M*Modal yet, by any chance?   I started 2012 as an employee of DSG, woke up one day to find out I was an M*Modal employee, and took two days to decide to decline the M*Modal job.  So, I worked just over a month with DSG in 2012 and less than a week with M*Modal.  M*Modal has my mailing address since they mailed me my final paycheck and letter confirming my termination of the job.  At some point after DSG was sold to M*Modal, I tried to acce ...

Taxes...anyone Know When W2s Will Be Ready?
Jan 11, 2014

NM.... ...

IC - How Do You Figure Your Taxes?
Sep 19, 2014

Going to be working as an IC and curious how to figure what I might need to be putting back for taxes.  I did this years ago and paid quarterly taxes, but can't remember the formula I had to use to figure what to send.  Seems like it was a percentage. ANyone direct me to where I can find out short of actually going to see an accountant.  TIA.   ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Anyone Else Do Their Taxes Yet And Did You Notice...
Apr 07, 2015

when my preparer filled mine W2 in it showed Nuance on the W2 but still transcends number and no mention of transcend on the W2.  I believe in the past it showed DBA Transcend Services, but that has disappeared.  She used the information they supplied, but it was a change from last year in name but same employer ID number.    ...

At-will Employment
Aug 16, 2011

If your employment with an MTSO is "at will," doesn't that apply to BOTH you and them? The legal meaning of "at-will employment" is as follows: "A common-law rule that an employment contract of indefinite duration can be terminated by either the employer or the employee at any time for any reason; also known as terminable at will." So, given this legal rule, why are we deemed ineligible for rehire when we leave an MTSO without what they perceive as fair notice? ...

Need Employment Help PLEASE
Nov 18, 2011

I need some help.  I recently became a single mom....and then lost my previous job due to taking some time off to gain custody of my niece due to an abuse situation she was in.  So now I am a single mom of 2 children.  After 2 months I finally found a job but not doing transcription.  I am not making it financially with what I am doing now, especially adding the cost of gas driving 30 minutes each way back and forth to work.  SOOOO.....I am in desperate need of some help ...

PRN Employment
Apr 15, 2012

Are there any "reputable" companies offering prn transcription opportunities any more?  I am finding myself with times where my workflow is slow and would love to have a backup, but I also dont want to commit to more than I can handle.  Would appreciate some suggestion/feedback.    ...

Looking For Employment
Jun 24, 2014

Hello, I am currently looking for employment in either In-House transcription near Spring Hill, Florida or employment with a company that will provide the computer and equipment needed. Any information is appreciated. Thank you, Kathy ...

How Do I Get Set Up As An IC? Do I Need An Accountant To Handle Taxes?
Jan 12, 2010

nm ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

IC Tax - Pay Your SE Taxes Quarterly Or You Get Penalized
Feb 02, 2010

I have heard people on here say you have to pay your SE taxes quarterly or you get penalized.  I didn't do that.  I took my stuff to H&R block and they did my taxes with just a regular SE status, added to my employee status for my employee job.  They asked me if i had paid in anything and I told them no, but I didn't get penalized in any way.  Is that normal?  I am asking if the IRS will come back later and penalize me, or is that it, I just pay them at the end of the year and ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...