A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Writing letter of apology to client on behalf - doing time

Posted: Jul 11, 2013

I have decided that I am going to write a letter directly to my account. I want to apologize to them for the decreased quality of my work and the potential negative impact that it might have on patient care.  (We are afterall told constantly how we need to improve) I plan on touching base on the increased demand for more lines per hour and how it negatively impacts our accuracy.  Also, the decrease in our pay and how that has forced us to produce more and more to be able to feed our families thus resulting in less attention to details and research and possible errors.  Also, the penalties we receive for leaving blanks which tempt some of us to guess at what is being said.  Informing them of the offshoring and overstaffing that results in our working 12 hours to make 8 hours, sometimes into the late night/early morning hours with foggy minds, blurry eyes and tired bodies.

Is there anything I have missed? Please add to this if you wish. 

I would advise against that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not apologize to the client, as it may leave you open to all kinds of liability, and possibly a lawsuit from your MTSO. It's a bad idea.

Further, you can only apologize for yourself - not MTs at large. You need to remember that the client belongs to the MTSO - NOT you.

I agree... my particular MTSO has right in - the contract about

[ In Reply To ..]
no personal contact with the clients....subject to termination. I would advise against it too, unless you are TRYING to get fired. :-) The client WILL tell the MTSO about the contact, for sure.

Yes, typically you are NOT allowed to contact - the client in any way.

[ In Reply To ..]
Besides, what can the client do about your work situation? I don't agree with the way a lot of the MTSOs do things, but the client cant tell them how to run their company either. They may not even take your letter serious, they might just assume you are a disgruntled employee.

You're correct about only on my behalf. - was going to correct that

[ In Reply To ..]
before I read your message. This is only to relay my experience as I can't speak for others, unless there is others input.

1. You should demand an apology FROM the client. - 2. Your contract forbids this stuff. Now,

[ In Reply To ..]
as an at-will employee Nuance doesn't need the contract to fire you, but if it suffered economic damage, it could sue you for cause.

But back to the first. Do you really think a corporation with a chain of hospitals that threatened to take its business overseas unless Nuance dropped its fees dramatically and conformed to its demands for simplified grammar and so on hasn't been a major cause of the grave economic injury you are suffering?

Thinking they need to be "informed" about what is happening with their reports, and your income, is extremely naive, not that the latter concerns the client in the least. If too many "yous" were to quit Nuance, they'd just take their business elsewhere.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Quite honestly, the client is not going to care. All they - care about is getting the cheapest transcription

[ In Reply To ..]
rate and what can they really expect for paying peanuts. Sadly, but the bottom line here is the $$. Additionally, how are you being "penalized" for leaving blanks? The scoring involved on your predelivery report has not impact on your pay, bonus, incentive, etc.

I would assume you are sending this unsigned, as you would otherwise most probably put yourself in a not too terrific legal position.

As an MLS, I totally sympathize with what you are saying and your thoughts, but I don't believe this is the answer as the facility is not going to care anyway, only that they are getting the price they demand (and the quality that goes with that price unfortunately).

I believe - MaryMT

[ In Reply To ..]
that the clients may be oblivious to what is going on. The MTSO is probably painting this pretty picture for them and they may not know (or care more than likely) what is going on at this end. I really would like to see a survey of clients and how they feel about service in the last couple of years.

Don't do it. - Despicable Them

[ In Reply To ..]
Couple of reasons why:

- It puts you in a position of liabitily in many ways.

- The client does not care. Transcription to them is a necessary evil that they have to do, but do not make any money off of, so they just want it done as cheaply and quickly as possible.

- If the company you work for finds out, you are in serious hot water.

Please, just let it go, and just walk away from that bloody work and don't incriminate yourself.

Agree, clients don't care. They just want it cheap and fast. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Great idea.. - me too!

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally think the hospitals care. They would go to work quickly to find a replacement to outsource to that didn't follow Nuance low standards. This is our opportunity to start the revolution. It may not make it better for us but it will for those who follow us!

Not a great idea - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Not such a great idea when some corporation (whose lawyers, I can guarantee, can beat up your lawyer) takes a judgment against you and attaches your paycheck for years and years to come to satisfy payment. Talk to your own lawyer about this very bad idea.

Thanks for your suggestions. Lots of food for thought - op

[ In Reply To ..]
and lots of different opinions. Will take them into consideration.

If I were an MTSO and you were my employee or IC - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I would bet your letter is grounds for a lawsuit.

Not to mention that you will come across as an unprofessional sour-grapes MT.

There are checks and balances/audits in place with every hospital.

Leave it alone.

If she (he?) were my employee - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would sue his or her socks right off. I am on the side of the MT 99% of the time. This isn't one of them.

I would do the same, but in a different mode. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe letter not directly to the hospital, but an open letter to a local newspaper, or several papers, even nationals. And do NOT take the blame/apologize for yourself, personally. Mention the MTs as a whole, as everyone is pushed for the same goal of more lines in less time and still being paid less for a lot harder work and bad conditions.

Then other hospitals see what's going on, and might take a look at their own transcription services.

** Especially mention an article that was posted here recently about a lawsuit where a hospital got sued for death of patient resulting from overseas transcription errors.

That might get some attention. Maybe more than one letter to a hospital administrator.

You're not contacting a client "directly," but you're simply airing your views in a public forum - which I believe as a US citizen is our right to do. Freedom of speech kind of thing...

I agree (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad the OP posted and opened this up for discussion, as planning beforehand gets the best results, if any.

The doctors we used to work for directly as ICs need to know what has happened to the industry. I don't think they even thing about it. They probably assume the .15 CPL or so they are paying per line for editing has at least half going to the ME/MT.

I think the safest and most effective way to enlighten these doctors is to do it in a general manner, as suggested letters to publications. IF we could get something into one or more medical journals that would be huge.

Once doctors know the truth about this current industry practices, they will see where the money is going, where it is being wasted, and what is needed to streamline the process for cost effectiveness in the long run.

It's simple - MEs paid same rate or very slightly less than MTs. No middleman. The deep pockets set up the transition of data, an MT non profit organization or co-op is established and they are getting their quality reports within turnaround for a reduced cost per line while we are back to making what we are worth, rather than one third what we were paid 25 years ago.

I think this forum is a good place to put a letter or article together for publication, then set a date for all of use to sell it in our areas.

highly unethical...nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

so is the way most of these companies operate. - along with riding the edge of illegal. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Nick - on doing time

[ In Reply To ..]
As an attorney to be (full disclosure: I am a first-year law student and not yet a member of the Bar, obviously); please do not do this for your own sake. You need to have a conversation with your own legal counsel who is licensed to practice law who can enumerate the reasons that this is an extremely bad idea. If you cannot afford a lawyer, call your local Bar Association or law school. Many of them have special times when lawyers will offer an hour of free consultation, etc. But please, do not set yourself up for what could be big, big, BIG problems. I don't give a fig for Nuance, but I do have concern for you.

Nick - on doing time - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
find a leg chat room and quit trolling for clients and/or special attention here.

xx - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
You miss the point completely. Not seeking special attention, and as to clients, unless you are into mergers and acquisitions, our firm would not be interested in you. Probably would not anyway, given your attitude.
xx - Nick - mergers acquistions
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe your trolling for your clients investments?
Not trolling - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
We have all the clients we need, thank you for your concern. And our clients' (not clients) investments are really not something you need worry your head about.
To xx regarding mergers and acquisitions - Mary
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps your reading comprehension is not up to par. Nick suggested that people see their OWN ATTORNEYS for advice. He said that in two different posts. How on earth is that trolling for "clients (sic) investments?" Please don't try to create a problem where there is none. Your energy could be more productively directed elsewhere.
Nick is being arrogant though - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder. nm - KM
[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot change people's personalities to your liking, wish I could, but no one can.
This is not a vote about whether to like Nick - Texas gal
[ In Reply To ..]
It is about something far more important--something that really affects our careers. Let's not lose our focus over petty squabbles.
How so? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Because he's smart and knows the system? Or because decided to take a chance on something he really wanted to do and got out of MT while you're still in it?

yeah, I'd like to know that too. I saw nothing arrogant in Nick's posts. - shoulder shrug. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Passive aggressive - psychology 101
[ In Reply To ..]
Just read his/her posts over the last few months and compare them to OldPro or Snowbunny (the original) and others who routinely post. He's always bragging about legalese in almost every post--he has risen above us. He is extremely condescending to others, don't worry your head about it (hello Grandpa Walton), "our firm" wouldn't be interested in you, referred to someone as "Virginia" last week (as in yes Virginia there is a santa clause)--tone superiority. When SnowBunny, OldPro and other regulars post they talk to their peers with a tone of quality/common ground. He wants to be admired and he has followers. It's like school girls following the upper classman. Spare us any of the posts saying he is bettering himself and you're just jealous, yadda, yadda, yadda--bettering yourself is fabulous, thinking you're better than is arrogant.
whole-heartedly agree with you - another non-fan
[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't bothered to post because there will be fans to support him for all the reasons you point out. Oh, I am sure he will post a synopsis to counterpoint you, though.
We can only hope for "closing arguments" and - MTMary
[ In Reply To ..]
focus on medical transcription.
oh wait he is not here to defend himself - at school
[ In Reply To ..]
don't pick on the golden child.
projection - psychology 102 - lol
[ In Reply To ..]
He's doing this. He's doing that. He thinks this. He wants this. He thinks this. He IS this.

Goodness gracious! This is all in your head.
projection - psychology 102- your education is showing - psychology 201 follows 101
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
you better take that up with universities nationwide - lol
[ In Reply To ..]
Excuse me, your jealousy is showing. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
no, some of us just don't like him - we dont have to like everyone
[ In Reply To ..]
He can be very condescending, and sometimes argues just for the sake of argument. I don't like that. If it's okay with you then fine.

: o - whoa

[ In Reply To ..]

Discretion is the better part of valor - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The wisest course to take would be to write a piece and get it published in your local news, national news, journals, magazines; send it to your State Medical Society, the Joint Commission, and anyone else who wants to listen.

kind of like a suicide note? - dont do it

[ In Reply To ..]
it always amazes me people want to do things like this. NO one cares and you'll only cause trouble for yourself.

OP your heart is in the right place, work on the right forum - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope the original poster, and all those who support her/his idea, don't lose their passion for the idea. Please don't let the naysayers and wannabe attorneys discourage you. A letter to the client is probably not a wise idea, especially if it is a large facility. The chain of command and who makes financial decisions is so varied you could miss your target. Anonymous mailings have security but lack credence just by being anonymous. If you can look past the naysayers, this might be a good place to construct a plan, or revolution as mentioned. Personally I think if a very professionally worded article could be written collectively and then have as many MTs as possible simultaneously send it to their local papers on the same day--you might get some attention from larger media. HANG ON TO YOUR PASSION. Respond to every call that excites your spirit . . . Rumi

you are right on that. But I say let her hang. - she needs the rude awakening.

[ In Reply To ..]
stupid is as stupid does.

Yes, DO IT...TAKE SOME ACTION - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
There is absolutely no reason why you can't do the letter anonymously. Everyone on this site moans and groans about how this industry has become horrible, down the tubes, etc., but yet any time someone wants to do something about it, it is shot down. Why? The industry isn't ever going to change if someone isn't willing to stick their neck out to do so. There is no reason why you need to sign your name to that letter. All you need to do is write a letter To Whom It May Concern, state that you are a transcriptionist with the company they contract with, and that you feel they would like to know the conditions under which you work. You can let them know that you, as a transcriptionist, are sorry for the lousy work, and then list the reasons why. You can sign it anonymous, do not put a return address on the envelope, and the client nor the MTSO know who sent it. When you go to a car dealership, the salesman wants to sell a car for the commission. They tell you everything that is GREAT with the car, but they may leave out a few details about what is wrong with the car. You get excited because it's a GREAT DEAL, and you purchase the car...only to have issues happen a month or two later. Well, the same thing could be happening with the hospitals. The MTSO sells the clients what they THINK is a great idea, a great product, a great service, only to see a few months later that the quality is awful, etc., without having any clue that the company is charging outrageous amounts and barely paying the typist anything or having any sort of discretion with their transcriptionists. Go ahead, do it. Let them know what practices are going on, but just don't put yourself at risk. Maybe if everyone would do the same thing, we might see this industry turn around. Maybe, just maybe, if these hospitals saw how awful the SR was, they might change their mind. How many administrative personnel do you think really know how bad these programs are or even how bad the EMR is? They have no clue...they don't work with the patient records and everyone is too scared to go to them to let them know just how crappy and unsafe it is because they don't want to "rock the boat." Someone needs to speak up, let it be you!

The hospital decision makers don't get it - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
The very first hospital I worked at is now on the slippery slope of outsourcing. They have just completed a huge expansion in building size, services and level of care. They have upgraded to an EMR and just recently purchased a new dictation system from one of the big MTSOs. The IT department made most of the decisions about which dictation system to purchase, with the CFO's approval of course. The medical records department had little input in that decision. The records department is constantly getting solicited by companies wanting to do their transcription and the new doctors are wanting to get a faster TAT because that's what they are familiar with from their residencies. There is only one MT who has ever worked from home and that was 15 years ago. They have never heard the term VPN, more or less ever seen voice recognition. It is true the powers that be and many physicians have no idea what it is like out here for us. I agree that voices should be raised to this issue and in large quantity, but do hope anyone who speaks up does it wisely and contemplates the consequences. I hope this conversation stays active.

You will be writing to somebody who probably - does not even care..see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
they goal of these hospitals, clinics and MTSOs is to save money no matter what it takes. Many of them probably could care less about your working conditions. They are more concerned with keeping their annual budgets a float. So good luck on that one.

Assumptions do no good, action does - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are only ASSUMING that they don't care because they are trying to cut costs. That doesn't mean that every hospital in the country is cutting costs monetarily at the cost of their patients getting appropriate care. Like I said in my previous post, the MTSO makes it sound good to the hospitals by telling them they are going to give them excellent quality records and so the hospital takes a chance to improve their budget. It doesn't mean that they don't care about their patients. Everyone needs to stop being so passive and just assuming the worst. When you call a carpenter to get bids, you usually go with the lowest bid don't you...especially if you are going to get the same quality carpentry work as the one who is going to charge thousands more? Yes, I bet you will because the money you are making has dwindled. The same goes for the hospitals. They figure they can cut the costs of their transcription by eliminating the benefits they are paying, the office space they are keeping open, etc., but that is usually at the promise of the MTSO that they have higher quality transcriptionists on board to do the same quality work they were getting. Everyone, even corporations, even you the small MT, try to cut costs everywhere. You cut costs at the expense of another person's career...shopping at a discount store takes away income from someone at a high quality store, you cancelling your cable subscription takes away from the cable technician's wages. Everyone cuts costs at the expense of someone else. It doesn't mean they don't care about that person, but it does mean that they need to look at their own overall situation...even a hospital. In order to provide more care, pay more doctors, open up more offices, they need to look at where they can cut, and that's been the transcription department..and why not? They have this MTSO that comes and promises the world.

Keep talking - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
I like your thinking and also believe many of the people/physicians do care. The economy and healthcare reform mandates have many physicians frustrated with the EMR, even though they believe in some of the potential gains in time. I think it is important not only to get the message out about working conditions for MTs, but to also offer viable solutions. Things like keeping the work in the US to bolster our economy and having less people needing healthcare, housing, food assistance. How many MTs need food stamps because of the low wages and part-time positions? I think there is potential for a very promising positive ripple effect just with bringing all the transcription back to the US.

As for the post about writing to someone who probably doesn't care--getting a letter to the editor campaign going would certainly expand exposure and I have not doubt many people would care. A doctor reading the paper at home is more available to consider the topic than when he is doing a chart review. Community interest can sway commercial behavior, I think.

Think positive!

xxxx - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Message deleted by owner.

Get the patient's involved (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I love the the OP's desire to effect change, but this needs to be done in a safer and more powerful way.

Not only can we reach more people publicly by writing articles, but I think the public also needs to be made aware of what is happening to their medical records. I thought about a Facebook page where VR bloopers could be posted as well as educating the public about the dangers of outsourcing overseas, what has happened to the MTs financially, what the doctors are burdened with and that there will no doubt be thousands of malpractice suits, including patient deaths, because of this soon-to-be unedited technology. The friends I have told about this are appalled and will be asking for copies their medical reports once their doctors are using VR only. If we can get some good bloopers donated to a FB site that will start the traffic coming to it and help spread the word.

While I really dislike FaceBook, it is an excellent tool for spreading the word and should be considered in addition to many other options.

Glad we are having this discussion. OP: Thanks for initiating it!

I thank all of you for your input. - doing time

[ In Reply To ..]
I've read all comments, both positive and negative. I didn't realize it would stir up this kind of reaction, but am thrilled. Love the idea of a published article. Any suggestions of publications would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on specifics that you would like mentioned would also be appreciated. I believe that the doctors do care about the quality of what is produced and if our conditions are such that it negatively impacts that quality, then they might just be our biggest ally. And as for Nick, I'm sure he/she means well. Is just excited about his/her new budding career. As a new MT I know I thought I was getting a medical education haha. Let's keep this going and get some good input. No more naysayers. Thanks!

Thank you for getting the conversation going - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been thinking a lot about this and believe an organized effort to get something substantive put in writing for newspapers is a good idea. I will work on an outline of concerns that would get the attention of community and/or powers that be, over the weekend and post something in a day or two. I only hope that anyone who disagrees does it without respect. Constructive criticism is motivating to me, condescending statements take the wind out of my sails. Looking forward to people staying with this idea. Thanks OP

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Tess - doing time NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

leave out the I and Me - in your syntax when you write it

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't read all of the posts, so don't really know if this has been addressed, but what I took away from your first post was "oh, poor me, they make it so hard I can't do my job properly." Wah, wah, wah.

Seriously. My first thought was "somebody needs to call the whambulance."

I'm not saying that writing an article of this type is wrong. I certainly think a light needs to be shed on some of the practices of the big MTSOs such as making employees clock in and out when there is no work, etc. You need to keep the whiny aspect out of it, though, otherwise, you look like someone who has sour grapes to pick.

And under NO CIRCUMSTANCES whatsoever should you write a letter directly to the client apologizing for your crap work. Seriously?

Well, then, maybe you should read b4 u comment - doing time

[ In Reply To ..]
Just so you are 100% informed of that which you are commenting. Thought you post was entertaining until you attacked the quality of my work. No need for that. Time to act as an adult.
I just called a spade a spade - You said it yourself
[ In Reply To ..]
"I want to apologize to them for the decreased quality of my work and the potential negative impact that it might have on patient care."

" increased demand for more lines per hour and how it negatively impacts our accuracy. "

"the decrease in our pay and how that has forced us to produce more and more to be able to feed our families thus resulting in less attention to details and research and possible errors. "

These are your actual words. Maybe I'm extrapolating, but this reads to me like making excuses.

Are these valid issues? Yes, absolutely. If you are going to get anyone's attention, you need to make this sound much less like whining.

Sorry if I'm hurting your feelings. I'm just calling it as I see it and if you post an article using this verbiage, I promise you, my comments will be the least harsh you'll hear.

leave out the I and me . . . Constructive criticism - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
It's unfortunate you have a good point to make, but being snarky does not promote your point. It is true that a well written, objective article needs to have as little emotion as possible, but you put your listener on the defensive with your mean-spirited, rather childish words. If your point to her is to hang on to her listener, isn't your post the pot calling the kettle black?

okay doing time here's - what you do

[ In Reply To ..]
Contact Erin Brockovich. Seriously. Can we all stop now?

Dear Doing Time - devaluedMT

[ In Reply To ..]
well, this will go against all of the "I LOVE MY MTSO AND I AGREE NOT TO CONTACT MY CLIENT" lovers, but as a 25-year transcriptionist who has lost my home and everything in it and now lives on couches in friends' homes so I can continue to give this industry MY KNOWLEDGE, albeit in the form of EDITING, I would say to send a letter to your client if you WANT TO. PERIOD. I would not necessarily apologize for my inadequacies in editing or place blame on offshoring or speech wreck, although we all know about it, they won't care, and I wouldn't highlight those facts. I would simply send an anonymous letter explaining that while we are still required to have a very high level of interpreting medical terminology including all medications and surgical instruments, new advances in x-ray and ultrasound and MRI, etc., spell everything correctly, use proper grammar when doctors and nurses don't, understand what they MEAN when they mispronounce words, ETC., ETC., ETC., we now must get paid minimum wage or less to continue to have A JOB. This is not an easy career. I didn't make this my career choice because it was easy. I did this because it was a highly skilled profession and I was paid very well for my knowledge. Now my skills are WORTHLESS. They want me to do the same job and use the same 25 years of knowledge and experience so they can give me a paycheck fit for a high school dropout. REALLY??? I have been trying to do ANYTHING BUT THIS for 4 years. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job in the "real world" when your resume says "transcriptionist?" Good luck with that because nobody wants one, and the places you are applying to really don't even understand WHAT A TRANSCRIPTIONIST IS. Seriously, write your letter. Do what you feel in your heart. You don't owe that MTSO anything, and you don't have to expose who you are in the letter. Doctors don't even care if their transcription is accurate or not. Some stupid person with an HIM degree critiques your work and says "OMG YOU MADE AN ERROR." Doctors whom I have worked for in the past actually stamped their reports with a stamp that said "SIGNED BUT NOT READ." REALLY???? and we are supposed to be so intimidated by our MTSO that we would NEVER EVER exposing our Chinese slave labor wages to the client. I am now over 50 years old and the proud owner of an AARP card and a minimum wage job. WOW, HAPPINESS. I will admit I am very outspoken as I was raised in the South by a very southern mom who told me that when you felt like you should say something "that's what God gave you a mouth for." unethical, you signed a contract, blah, blah, blah. why do you think they MAKE YOU SIGN SOMETHING. because what they are doing is WRONG. PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD.

AND by the way - devaluedMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like for you to check out this link. It's a video with the SPEECH WRECK below. Of course it is for a news video so at the end they just put this disclaimer "This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate." I REALLY DON'T MIND EDITING THE REPORT BUT I DEFINITELY DO MIND THEM USING ME TO DO IT AND GIVING ME A HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT'S PAYCHECK. I would just love if the doctors would actually get their POS reports back with that disclaimer at the bottom. Maybe I will start my own "FAKE TRANSCRIPTION" company, since it is just fake transcription now, just a company that generates a speech wreck report and has them to deal with it. Now THAT will only happen if people stop accepting these stupid salaries, and with the state of our country's economy and jobless condition, it's so hard to get out. I totally understand that our industry is not the first one that this has happened to and many other people lose jobs because their industry ended, problem is THEY STILL NEED US but we can't force them to PAY US. why am I getting $10 an hour when I used to get $30, AND I KNOW MORE NOW THAN I DID THEN.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Thought About Writing A Letter To The President?
Jun 22, 2014

Not necessarily pen and paper, but I saw where one can email the President.  I don't know if anyone has done this or not regarding the sad state of affairs our profession has become, but it might be worth a try.  I will do it even if no one else does.  I mean, what could it hurt?  Of course, it would be in a respectful way and all.  Otherwise, I will see the men in the dark suits at my door.  I will explain about what it used to be like and then what it has bec ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign For
May 18, 2012

MT Week (that begins Sunday) and what working MTs actually bring to "patient safety." Let us take meaningful action today and this weekend to regain MT Week as a week that TRULY recognizes the working MT. Ship Letters to the Editor off electronically and by snail mail to your local papers for publication in their print and online editions. AHDIs theme this year is "patient safety" in case you didn't know. What a joke and so self-serving! How about a theme of "The MTSO How-To Guide To Ensu ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign
May 20, 2012

It looks like I will be the 1st to post a letter to the editor that is going out. I will be hitting everywhere from the East Coast to the West coast and everywhere in between! Read on and feel free to edit for your own letters. Medical Transcriptionist Week (MT Week) began this past Sunday, May 20, 2012. The idea is to recognize and reward MTs over the course of a single week. The theme this year is Patient Safety. MTs all across the country, and in fact, around the world are transcribing your ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign Mt Week
May 22, 2012

By the way you have me mixed up with someone else who wrote a LTTE. The post you critiqued was the first draft of this particular letter. Thanks again for your constructive criticism. I loved it!  Version 2 and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more than you enjoyed Version 1 Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line d ...

Do You Ever Want To Write An Anonymous Letter To The Client?
Jul 20, 2012

Did you ever want to write a letter to the client(s) and say,...Really???......  I don't get paid to sit here and listen to you take phone calls, read the chart, go to the bathroom (disgusting), or have conversations with your staff.  If you are not ready to dictate, hang up.  If you cannot pronounce a drug, spell it instead of murdering it by acting like you do.  You want to dictate on your cell phone in your car, or other noisy places....listen to yourself.  Pay a ...

Apology
Apr 10, 2013

I just wanted to apologize about putting the post in about a possible lawsuit against MModal.  I mostly wanted to see what people would say and I have no intention whatsoever of doing this.  This user name is not my real name either - is the name of a baby I lost 35+ years ago....  I'm stopping with the negative NOW.  Take care all of you - you all deserve good things! ...

Transcend Apology On Main Board From Management
May 21, 2010

I recognize the name used - it is by someone in upper management. At least she is using her real name - maybe she had second thoughts of using Hawkeye - LOL. ...

Across The Board Apology To My Respected Fellow MQers. Sm
Nov 30, 2010

First, I suppose I have come across here in a tone that was bitter and hateful.  I ask forgiveness for that.  Now, to tell me I am wrong for venting my hatred (wow, where did that come from) and venom on here was extremely hurtful to me.  I have read many, many, many posts here on this board; which is meant to be a place where we can share and vent supposedly without recrimination and some empathy.  And there are many who are also long-time employees who have serious medical ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

Writing Prn
Jan 13, 2015

what is the correct way to write prn? I seen it as prn, PRN, and p.r.n.? ...

Technical Writing- SM
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone know about the field of technical writing?  It seems like it would be a logical next step for us.  Just wonder if anyone knows how hard it would be to get into that field, do you get to work at home, and so on.  I'm 50 years old and wonder if its just too late for a career change, but doing this MT/editing stuff for the next 15 years. . . ???? ...

Who Is Writing An Essay
Apr 24, 2012

I don't write essays very well, but this could get interesting. I'm mostly interested in the "How I Do It" essay. Maybe I could learn how to do this more efficiently...I don't particularly want to be mentored, so reading an essay might give me some better ideas. ...

Writing Times
May 08, 2012

Doctor dictated: Start time: 03/21/2012, 091446. What would be the correct way to write the time portion? ...

I Think The Writing Is On The Wall For Me
Dec 04, 2012

Okay, so I know what has been happening the past few months, but since it didn't affect me directly, I just kinda put it out of my mind.  But since the first of the month, my BOB is out of work during my shift (late afternoon/early evening).  This has never happened before.  Wondering if it is because daytime people are switching to later hours or my work is going overseas?  Not NJA yet, just unfamiliar work for the majority of my shift.  If this is how it's go ...

Writing A Number
Sep 16, 2014

Okay doctor states "white count is 13.8 thousand"  Any input on how that should be written?  Looks so strange to me.  Thanks peeps :) ...

Writing Out Gravida, Para
May 24, 2010

Doctor says:  G2, P2-0-0-2. How would it be written out? Do I have the format correct, or would it be: G2, P 2-0-0-2? ...

DocQScribe 6.1 - The Writing Is On The Wall!
Sep 03, 2010

I just took the online training today and did my first reports using 6.1.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  They are on their way to eliminating the need for MT's.  It's just a matter of time.  We are tightening our own noose every time we edit one of those reports.  This is definitely a catch-22. ...

Writing Axis Numbers
Dec 05, 2011

is  it six o'clock axis or 6 o'clock axis and then what is the correct way of 6:30 o'clock axis or six-thirty o'clock axis or is it 6:30 axis or six-thirty axis?????  Whew!!! ...

Would Someone With Writing Skills Please Create A -sm
Mar 04, 2015

descriptive narrative for the MTs who have or will be leaving this company, to go along with the ones we recieve when the VP and such leave.  I mean really..we need to be ackowledged for our committment, dedication, accomplishments, etc.  Sarcasim is encouraged! ...

When Writing A Medication List Do I Put Commas?
Aug 26, 2010

When writing a medication list do I put commas? 1. Xanax 1 mg dispensed #64 sig one tablet three times a day no refills. 2. Prozac 40 mg #30 sig one tablet daily no refills. 3. Stelazine 2 mg #60 sig one tablet twice a day with no refills. ...

Company Unwilling To Put Compensation In Writing
Dec 17, 2011

Nuance is stating that they are unable to put their new compensation/incentive program in writing because it is "propriety information." Is that even legal? Don't you have the right to have your compensation in writing? ...

Blank S/l Writing, Riding, Raggeding ??
Jan 05, 2013

He has been _________ down his diabetes in a staggered fashion now and is doing fairly well there. He comes in with a high blood pressure which is improved after repeat check. ...

Hey, Forget All You Guys, I Am Writing Me One Heck Of An Essay.
Mar 22, 2010

Hey, MQ, Oh I love FRT this week, but after April 2, 2010 all bets are off baby!!!!!    I love FTR.  I love it.  No really.  I do.  I like it because, um, it is like a bright shiny star in the sky.  Or, um, maybe, I like it because it rolls like a bowling ball!!  Yeah!! That's the ticket!  Rollin along with FTR, like a bowling ball, like a pool ball, like the big blue ball that is earth, like the round ball classic, like the wheels on an 1 ...

Inquiring Old Minds Want To Know. Are We Back To Writing Out Numbers 1-10 Now? Sm
Mar 28, 2011

This is one of the endless list of reasons why I get so fed up with Benchmark and so called "rules".   Forever I was always taught to write out numbers 1-10 in text; but then Benchmark guidelines  (and MQ followed thereafter) that we were to use numeric nomenclature; that is unless the two (or is it 2) numbers appeared next to each other.   So all you 300 lph people who say they are 100% accurate on their reports, what IS the correct way now?   I just got ...

Writing On A *hoit* Board - Patient Is A Quadraplegic. Thanks. Nm
Dec 27, 2011

nm ...

STANDALONE MACRO WRITING PROGRAMS/SOFTWARE
Jun 04, 2012

hello, i like to automate or "macro-ize" every single step of the transcription process. every second counts!  however, i cannot choose a macro program (free or for a charge) that works the most efficiently for MTs and does not interfere with any platforms which often have macros written into them.  the easier it is to program and use, the better.  for instance, trying to write a series of macros in MS Word has the potential of botching up many platform macros--and could ...

The Writing Is On The Wall. Article From Researchers Regarding Outsourcing.
Feb 25, 2013

I have been doing transcription for almost 2 decades, pretty soon my children in their early 20s will be making more money than I am, made decision to go back to school in my 40s for a new career, no choice.  Clip from article. "US corporations justify their offshore operations as essential to gain a foothold in emerging Asian markets. The Hira brothers believe this is self-delusion. “There is no evidence that they will be able to outcompete local Chinese and Indian companies, ...

Maybe We MTs Should Start A Writing Campaign To Hospitals/medical Facilities...
Jan 29, 2015

and explain to them how they could pay us more than we make now and STILL save money by cutting out the middleman.  I plan on writing to all the hospitals in the area where I live.  Maybe, just maybe someone will listen.   ...

New Client
Mar 09, 2010

Well, I certainly feel sorry for those 60 MTs they were able to persuade to go to work for them -- wonder what kind of promises they made them??  They've gotten this procedure down pat over the years -- drawing in unsuspecting MTs with promises of making more money.  All I have to say is good luck, especially since they probably failed to tell them about all of the wonderful changes that are happening, like loss of pay for sending to QA -- make sure you've updated your antide ...

Why Can't They Have The Same CP For Every Client?
Jan 06, 2013

They should have one standard format across all clients and if any client wants it changed, they should charge them per change or addition a recurring fee.  At the very least they should organize them better.  Maybe take advantage of different font colors, so they are easy to spot in the CP panel, like:  Physical exam: Stacked left, all caps subheadings.  and then pick a color for exceptions and put them all in red so its easier to spot.  ...