A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Workers Comp Suit (sm) - Bev

Posted: Oct 25, 2012

Now that the MTSO are calling us "employees", has anyone considered a workers compensation suit for depression from not being able to make a decent living? Perhaps an overuse syndrome from having to work so many more hours to make line counts? Curious.

I think - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think filing a WC claim b/c you're depressed because of your job is insulting to people who have truly been injured while working.

Go find a new job.

Depression - hoyt

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! Aren't you just a ray of sunshine!
Yes, I have considered filing a claim for epicondylitis related to long reports and too many hours.

Yeah, I am.. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband was hit in the head with an iron pipe while at work one day. He was in a coma for 2 weeks and almost died. Thankfully, he has recovered and does not have any severe issues.

So yeah, I take issue with people wanting to file WC because they're depressed because of their crappy job. I was diagnosed with depression 20 years ago and so I do know what it's like.

There are a lot of mitigating factors that feed into depression, not just a person's job. If your job is that horrible, get a new one, do something else. Deal with it. Find a work-around. Don't be a jerk and use resources meant for those who truly need it.
You obviously don't have Clue-1 about what it's like to - suffer from disabling depression.
[ In Reply To ..]
Really? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I mean seriously? Personally, I think 20 years experience gives me a pretty good insight.

Nevertheless, I have no desire to be sucked into a "my depression can beat up your depression."

If being the most depressed person on the board makes you happy then have at it. Personally, I'd rather fight my troubles and not be a victim--to anything.
I can't see claiming it from this job either. Perhaps undertakers, EMTs, cops - but transcripion? not so much. NM
[ In Reply To ..]

I have a job and am not suing anyone (sm) - Bev

[ In Reply To ..]
Depression is a legitimate WC claim if caused by the job. I am simply asking if anyone knows of anyone who has done this with their "employee" status. No offense or disrespect was intended.

Very difficult to prove - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be very difficult to prove that depression is job related, WC claims generally apply to being injured in the workplace, and it varies by state. I know that you would be subjected to numerous mental health evaluations by examiners hired by Workmen's Comp. Epicondylitis and carpal tunnel are legitimate claims. The goal of workmen's comp is to get you back to work ASAP and determine if you are suited for light duty or modified duty. If you draw benefits, you won't receive your full wage so I don't understand why you would want to do this. No one will award you disability because you are "depressed," they'd prescribe meds and send you to counseling and tell you to get back to work. I had a legitimate on the job injury about 18 months ago and needed surgery so I've navigated the WC system. I agree with the other poster; it is nothing to make light of and those benefits need to be reserved for people who truly need them.
There aren't any "benefits" that need to be reserved - it's all - insurance companies paying - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
That's what these companies have insurance for. And if you file for TD it's EDD that pays. If it's PD, the insurance company pays, which may or may not be deducted from your settlement. The defense atty has to pay EDD's lien at the end of settlement if/when one is filed, as well as all medical liens, usually for 10-25 cents on the dollar. I work in this field for WC defense attorneys and it really pisses me off at the amount of bogus claims there are. Depression/psych injury is one of the EASIEST to claim - there are very few non-liberal WC QME/IME/QME psychs out there. Ridiculous! These bogus claims are what makes it nearly impossible for the small business to stay in business because it jacks up the premiums for everyone so high. The WC system is beyond broken and beyond liberal. It is killing the businesses.
Benefits - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
My employer pays my WC insurance. They kept me on salary and took care of my medical bills while I was recovering from my surgery. I also make a small payroll contribution to WC every pay period. There were no attorneys involved. To me, those are benefits.
Thank you. (nm) - Bev
[ In Reply To ..]

You made a choice - Perhaps its time to make another

[ In Reply To ..]
You made a choice to become an MT. No one strapped you down and threatened you with it - it was your choice. If it makes you depressed, talk to a skilled physician and start a medication that works best for you. Then, decide if the choice you made no longer works. If it doesn't - get a new job! If it does - figure out coping mechanisms. No one woke up this morning trying to figure out how to tool your world. The solution is yours alone.

In response to the hate posts... (sm) - Bev

[ In Reply To ..]
To those who have made the erroneous assumption that I am depressed and filing a WC claim: read my lips - again, I am employed, I am not depressed and I am not filing a claim, nor considering it so you can direct your hatred elsewhere. I am simply looking into the price MTSOs will pay to call ICs "employees" and wonder if they have figured out a loophole to avoid WC claims. I did not refer to only depression, I also include RSIs as they can all be legitimate claims.

Why did you choose depression - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
When there are other work related injuries?
For the same reason I also chose repetitive stress injuries! (sm) - Bev
[ In Reply To ..]
This post was not about filing a claim. It is seeking information that might indicate whether MTSOs can continue to get away with calling ICs "employees", not create a thread for non-MDs to pass judgement about which injuries are deserving of WC benefits.
Reading comprehension problems? - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Bev, acutally, your original post was about filing a claim. You asked if anyone had filed a Workmen's Comp suit on the basis of a diagnosis of depression. Perhaps you need to go back to the beginning and read what you wrote that started this discussion.
common sense would have you question the Board of Labor for your - state, not here, this is just steam.NM
[ In Reply To ..]
`

Whoa - nellie

[ In Reply To ..]
if you don't want people to comment, then don't post.

"Hate?" - Maybe Some

[ In Reply To ..]
Responses aren't what you want. That doesn't amount to "hate."

Similar Messages:

Worker's Comp Versus Workers Comp Nm
Mar 03, 2010

nm ...

Workers Comp
Apr 21, 2011

Anyone know how to write an appeal letter?  I was denied by the judge, even though my doctor said I have wrist and hand tendinitis due to typing for 16 years.  Wow, i'm devastated, not only am I hurting, but financially a wreck.  Anyway, I am writing an appeal to the board and have no money to visit a lawyer, wondering what goes in an appeal letter.  Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed A Workers Comp
Apr 26, 2012

I was just looking through the Human Resources page and can't find anything about WC. Just curious if anyone has filed for it and any clue on who to talk to about it? TIA ...

Ever Filed A Workers Comp?
Aug 07, 2012

I have carpal tunnel. Is it possible to file a WC case at MModal for this? Who would I speak to in Human Resources.  Spent a bit of time looking at MQCentral (or whatever it's called) and got dizzy, but couldn't find an answer. TIA ...

Workers Comp Transcription
Sep 07, 2012

Does anyone do worker's compensation transcription?  Do you like it?  What are the main things you type?  Thanks. ...

Has Anyone Here Filed Workers' Comp At MM?
Apr 20, 2015

I would love to hear your experience.  Did they fight it?  Did they let you come back to your same BOB and shift?  Did you have to pay your entire health insurance premium during that time?  Can you collect short-term disability and workers' comp simultaneously?  Any info at all appreciated.   I've been at MM 15 years and now have CTS, RSI, and epicondylitis, not to mention rapid vision loss from staring at the monitor all day, hearing loss from having t ...

How Difficult Is It To Get Approved For Workers Comp?
Jul 10, 2013

Has anyone had success with WC claim? If so, can you provide some details so I can compare?  Thanks a bunch. ...

Do You Think This Is From A Suit?
Mar 03, 2010

Don't know what all the fuss is about. If you do your job well, right the first time, you've got no worries. I don't foresee that this will be interfering with me whatsoever! If you want to survive in this business (and I assume that most posters do as they continue to work in this industry) then you have to go with the flow. If this process eliminates weak transcriptionists, then so be it.   THIS MAKES ME MAD READING THIS POST.  So, MQ's process is to elimini ...

Yay, Another Suit Is Hired!!
Apr 30, 2012

I didn't think MModal could get more top heavy.  This just tells you that they're making quite a bit of profit from our losses. ...

Transcend Law Suit
May 12, 2012

I have been reading Steve Jobs' bio -- the more I read, the more I like who he was, what he stood for.  Anyhow, this just STRUCK me -- from the ad campaign when Jobs returned to Apple, written, in part, by him:"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify ...

Softscript Suit
Jun 10, 2012

as scooby doo says   take pictures of everything    tattoo things on your forehead and toes mamacitas and papacitas ...

OMG! Reading All The Posts. Who Is The Suit
Sep 03, 2010

First want to say I am so sorry for all MT's/QA who were laid off.  How terrible, yet I feel it could be a blessing in disguise because you can get unemployement and TAA and go back to school and get out of this field.  It is pathetic reading the posts from a suit who is trying to maintain damage control for the WEB company.  The suit is the one who is still getting paid with excellent benefits, not the poor MTs/QAs who have been let go.  Makes me sick that a suit woul ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

If I Was As Rich As A MQ Suit, I Would Only Drink Fiji
Nov 03, 2011

s ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

OPEN LETTER TO NUANCE SUIT TROLLS
Aug 11, 2013

The recent survey was nothing more than a slap in the face to all hard-working, dedicated MLS’ biding time until a real job with a respectful employer comes along.   You want to know what would make Nuance better?  Really, are you serious??  You demoralize, monitor, insult, and put your boot on the neck of every self-respecting MLS who puts their commitment and dedication to professional patient care ahead of all, despite the constant road blocks you throw in our path ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

MQ And Worker's Comp
May 19, 2010

Has anyone here had to get Worker's Comp while working for MQ? If so, what is the process? I have looked on MQ Central and can't find anything about it. I'm in severe pain and was told it was a direct result of my job.    TIA ...

Call About Pay Comp...sm
Oct 15, 2014

There apparently will be a call next week going over the new compensation plan. Hopefully there really is one and it explains a lot better than the email. Doubt it will give actual numbers but I will post anything I find out on here in case noone else has a call. hope they can explain better. we'll see. ...

New Comp Plan
Dec 04, 2014

I always considered myself an average transcriptionist.  On my platform I average about 150 LPH and very rarely do I go over 10% to QC and QA is usually in the 99.5% range.  Based on my last weeks information and using their charts, I will be getting about 2+ cpl more than I have in the past year on my straight production.  I guess I may be way luckier than the people posting here.  Maybe I am a better transcriptionist than I thought I was?  I figure if I only have 1 cra ...

CA MT WORK COMP QUESTION
Aug 17, 2011

Thanks in advance.  Has any California Medquist MT ever had carpal tunnel diagnosis and had the insurance company ask you to give them more information about the "nature" of your injury, as in they want an explanation if I think it is work injury, car accident, or other?  I hate to lie, but it is pretty obvious I have it from typing.  Also, if I said it is from work, they refuse to pay the neurologist who gave diagnosis.  I pay into Worker's Comp in California, it is ded ...

Workmans Comp Insurance Necessary?
Jan 05, 2012

So I am about to take on a second IC job in a few days.   Was just about to sign the contract agreement and as I was reading through it, I noticed that while it didn't expressly say I HAD to purchase workman's comp insurance, it did say that I was responsible for workmans comp. Is this something anyone is familiar with?  Is it really necessary for me to purchase on my own if this is a part-time IC job and the company has a secure server with upload/download capabil ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Just Got A New Comp And Can't Remember The Company ID, Can Anyone Help
Dec 11, 2013

For fluency. I thought it was 112350 but that doesn't work.  TIA ...

Question About New Comp Plan
Jan 01, 2015

Okay, so our QA score that is used to calculate this mess.  Is it taken from the previous 2 weeks score or is it from the current week that we do the lines?  I am so confused so any help would be appreciated!  I guess what I am asking in a nutshell is,  for this week, will my QA% score be from this week or from last week or from the 2 week score? ...

QA Scoring Under New Comp Plan
Jan 10, 2015

has anyone had no post audit reports for the week under the new comp plan?  this is my first week of coming across this problem - there were 2 post audits during the week in FIESA, but they were for reports the previous week and I received no PA scores for the week - I'm assuming this puts me in the 0.08000 category for 0%-99% whereas normally getting 100% and this is making a HUGE diff in hourly rate - there needs to be something in place where we have to receive at least 1 PA sc ...

Question On New Comp Plan
Jan 17, 2015

I had 100% from 1/9 through 1/15, 3 jobs edited.  Today a job is reviewed that was transcribed on 1/15 but edited on 1/17 with an age error in it.  Where does that fall.  It does not show up for last week, but shows up on 1/17 but was typed the week prior?  Confused. Thanks for help. ...

Anyone Ever Filed A Worker's Comp Case?
Mar 23, 2010

Just curious to those who have been in this profession awhile and have become hurt as a result, have you filed and won or not won?  I have battled pain about eight years now and have hit a wall, can no longer work.  My hands and wrists swell up, I have twitches in all fingers, I drop things, cannot grip or open things, cannot write, wear splints, driving hurts.  Just wondering other's experience with this.  I have about 20 years until retirement so I need to keep working ...