A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Who Is To Blame? - Briana

Posted: Jan 29, 2012

Perhaps we can agree that the general state of healthcare documentation is a mess. In fact, it's worse than a mess - it's what my dad would refer to as "a pig's breakfast", and he grew up on a farm so he knew a pig's breakfast when he saw it, whether before or after the pig in question had breakfasted.

It's been more than 15 years since HIPAA was passed, and many years before that we had a little thing called HL-7 that was supposed to unify the way information was to be structured in the electronic document.  In an effort to seize relevance from the scrap heap of yawning indifference, the HL-7 folks are trying now to make the case that HL-7 will enable the implementation of the "meaningful use" requirements for EHR certification, but it certainly won't if they keep on doing things the way they've done them up until now - meaning, by committees that wrangle incessantly over minutiae until they finally, with a loud shriek and a grunt, proudly produce a bouncing baby crocabuzzard.  Eureka!  "The field for the medical record identifier shall be not more than 21 characters in length (unless it is 30, or perhaps 57), and may contain only alphanumeric characters (unless special characters, runic symbols, hieroglyphics or Morse code are required)." 

Well, give 'em a break.  How would you like to go through a 12-year gestation?

And da widdle baby is sweet, isn't he?  Er - you take him, honey.  I think he just made a poo-poo.

No sooner had the crocabuzzard been born than those fun-lovers on The Hill had a blessed event of their own.  This alleged Immaculate Contraption (no one got screwed, we promise!), otherwise known as HIPAA, was supposed to do 2 things from the standpoint of documentation: 

1.  Enable the exchange of information among healthcare providers and relevant third parties (arguably, we should call those bill-payers FIRST parties, shouldn't we?) to facilitate insurance coverage "portability", and...

2.  Secure that information (because the exchange of highly sensitive information demands security).

Now, the Congress in passing HIPAA cleverly took note of the crocabuzzard, and decided not to roll around in bed with any of those HL-7 people.  Congress wasn't going to say exactly how HIPAA was going to work.  Instead, Congress would be content with issuing two divine edicts:

1.  Thou SHALT be exchanging information, amen and hallelujiah, let us turn to hymn number 63.

2.  Thou SHALT be keeping medical information under your hats, hallelujiah and amen, Brother Williams will you please pass the offering plate thank you.

Of course there were some followup shalts:  This shalt be done by 1999, no wait, this shalt be done by 2000, no wait, this shalt be done by 2001, we meant to say this shalt be done by...well, you get the idea.

And on the eleventeen-hundredth day, Congress looked at what it had wrought and said, "It is good.  In fact, it's downright holy".  (What did you think the "H" stood for?)

This, in a nutshell, is HIPAA along with a bunch of other guff that doesn't concern us.  I'm not sure funding for a much-needed seaside resort in Kansas isn't in there somewhere but who cares?

Well, Congress did something else, too.  Having skated on a few little details, they passed off implementation of the new law to the Department of Health and Human Services - and also the Justice Department, the State Department, the Department of Nuclear Bombs and the Department of Redundancy Department.

Let us pass quickly by the early years of the little wunderkind, mainly because he doesn't do anything very interesting except kick the can down the road and shirk his homework.  We come to his teens with exactly the same horrified fascination, fear and bewilderment that all teenagers bring into our lives, and with good reason because up to this point he's given us precious little reason to be hopeful about his future.  We long ago gave up the dream that he might become a doctor or a Pope.  Now we just hope that he won't find prison too unbearable and that he might learn to read while he's there.  Not much was accomplished along those lines while he sat at the feet of his teachers at DHHS, that's for sure.  They were too busy with the usual academic pursuits of promulgating incomprehensible rules and taking the names of those who violated them. (You can see the list online, by the way.)

We come now to my question:  Who Is To Blame?  When the prison warden wants to talk to those who are responsible for this walking disaster carving pistols out of soap and banging his tin cup, whose number should he call?

Everyone, that's who.  Congress, DHHS, the Center for Medicare Mismanagement, the boards and directors of hospitals, AHIMA, AHDI, the health insurers, the pharmaceutical companies, the clearing houses, the medical transcription companies, the unions, the political parties, and perhaps even patients themselves, or at least their "advocacy" groups.  Every single one of them and more has been shoving this kid this way and that until it's no wonder he's such a mess.

He's got until 2014 to learn how to read.  Unless, of course, it's 2015, or 2038.  We've got him just about to the middle of the alphabet. 

Anyone care to bet?

like! - a fun read, too

[ In Reply To ..]

Briana - Still laughing

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I think you should ditch MTing and become a professional writer. That was hysterical, right on point and actually written in a form that made this MT laugh out loud about something so completely not funny. This Rosemary's Baby (CROCABUZZARD?!?!?!) is growing a few more heads...can't wait to see what spews out of each one of his mouths...Keep us updated when you get the blog going!

I'm with YOU - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This writer has a higher calling. Very clever, incisive writing, and very entertaining, too, if the situation weren't so dire. I think that Newsweek would jump at a chance to publish this very smart, tongue-in-cheek narrative. Makes me wonder if the writer retains ownership of the material once he/she has expressed him/herself on a public board.

BTW, since nothing about our private lives is sacred any longer, I'm kind of flattered to know that a government employee will paid to investigate every nanosecond of my life and medical history. If they can stay awake to do this, more power to 'em.

Healthcare by the government - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
What the heck does the government have to do with our healthcare anyway? It should be our decision and our decision only what to do with our bodies. I wouldn't let any doctor touch mine and will not take the lousy drugs put out there by big pharma. It has been said that drugs are the fourth cause of death in this country after heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Do the best you can in taking care of yourself and forget going to any doctor.

JW - Good to see the voice of REASON

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Curious to know - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have considered your remarks radical a few years ago, but now I think you make perfect sense. Truth is, I don't believe I'll depart this earth one minute before my appointed time, so I'm often tempted to sever my relationship with my PCP and just take care of myself as best as I'm able. Medical opinions seem subjective, at best, and my personal physician, whom I see rarely, almost always prescribes something that I'm allergic to and is marked in bold letters on the outside of the chart. I don't think these docs have any knowledge of what the chemicals really do, anyway.

Just curious, though: Have you opted out on insurance?

Healthcare by the government - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I can't afford the insurance. My friend went to Cigna for help with a bad cold and allergy symptoms and they were all over her to take this drug and that drug and didn't even address what she was there for. WHEW!!!! Makes your head spin. The government says they are here to help us and protect us. Look out!!!

eat right, exercise, drink water and sleep - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
Aside from broken bones, your body can take care of itself if you do the right things.

I work in oncology, and NEVER have I seen it being addressed with a cleaner diet and better health habits. ONLY surgery, chemo, and/or radiation, the holy trinity of cancer treatment.

Stop eating the poisoned food in the supermarkups, don't eat meat, and grow your own vegetables. Opt out of the madness.

Build a bubble for yourself, never go out - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My sister recently spent 4 days in Rochester Mayo for viral encephalitis. We thought we were going to lose her. No one knows where it came from or why she got it. She would certainly have died without treatment. Hope your children are never born with a defect. Hope you have no inherited weaknesses. Good luck to you.

eat right, exercise - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Couldn't have said it better. I work in orthopedics and they do serve a purpose in fixing broken bones etc. Great advice!!!

Healthcare by government - Conservative

[ In Reply To ..]
I said the same think on the politic board and was practically stoned to death. Government should have no say-so whatsover in what you do with your health, whether or not you have insurance, have too much insurance. None of their business period. My God, they can't even take care of delivering mail efficienly and manage that budget - how in God's name are they going to handle health care? Want government minimized and out of my life.

Conservative - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with your point of view, but why blaspheme the name of the Lord?

I think it's funny - oldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have a very negative opinion of doctors and all the drugs they want to put you on. I don't believe in half of what they say and go to my favorite health store, privately owned by a once famous man, who is now over 80 years old and has the body of a 50-year-old man. I tell him what the doctor said I should do and then I take what he tells me to take. and his remedies actually work. fortunately, I'm not a very sick person, but I have had meningitis and was in the hospital 5 days for that a long time back, so I know when I need a doctor and when I don't. If I get Strep, I know I need an antibiotic. but mostly I try to eat healthy, take walks and drink Vitamin water! I do think it's funny that most of us in this profession are doctor avoiders!

Does anyone here - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
subscribe to a physicians' online newsletter? I'm probably not allowed to post the name here, it ends in "scape". Been reading it for years and when the politicians started talking about "preventive medicine" (meaning screenings and PEs)I bristled. According to the AMA, doctors, various boards,etc. the following do not really prevent anything: Annual PE, annual pelvic exams (even for those on the pill and/or sexually active and using other BC), colonoscopy (stool for occult blood is fine for most, DRE for prostate, and annual mammogram for everyone over whatever age they're agreeing on these days. The announcements about reducing screenings to every 3 yrs always cause an uproar, more in the media than anywhere else.

OP - You really should submit your article and get your name out there. Excellent writing!

Supplements restricted by the government - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
The government wants to take our supplements away from us and we would need a script to get them from a doctor. Also in my state I just sent emails to representatives at the state legislature to not allow dietitians to be the only ones we can consult about supplements. That means we could not get them for chiropractors or natural food and supplements stores if it passes. What a crock that is.
That's Codex Alimentarius... - Reader
[ In Reply To ..]
Codex Alimentarius WILL eventually be implemented in this country; it's just a question of WHEN. The REASON is because we are a signatory to the WTO (World Trade Organization). (Signing onto that is what destroyed the US steel industry!)

Codex has already been implemented in other participating nations, including the UK and Canada. That is why MANY of the supplements available here are NOT available to our UK and Canadian friends OR if they are available the strength is so low it won't do any good (e.g., if you want to ingest 1000 mg of vitamin C daily, the only OTC vitamin C available is 100 mg, so you would have to swallow 10 per day, going through bottles and bottles of the stuff in no time)... For a higher strength you MUST see a physician, who (hopefully, as he may or may not!) writes you a script for it, and then you have it filled at a pharmacy. (Now there is a pharmacy involved. [US pharmacists are fighting to be considered HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS], and the pharmacist has to be paid, so there is now a middle man involved which means higher prices!) GUESS WHO manufactures that supplement? BIG PHARMA, of course! Since big pharma's specialty is chemical concoctions and not natural anything, you will be getting the SYNTHETIC version of that supplement rather than the natural one.

Screenings and PE - recommendations

[ In Reply To ..]
Laughing about "preventive medicine." When I go to my PCP for "screening," he doesn't even require that I removed my clothing! I could have a fulminant lesion (shouldn't joke about that) and he would have NO idea. The exam consists of BP, temp, look at throat, listen to lungs. He's so busy typing this info into the laptop on wheels that he never even looks at my face. I could do it myself! Why, oh why, do I pay him?

I think I have a reputation as a "difficult patient." Yawn

Preventive exams - In the know

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a friend who was an internist. Colonoscopies were her biggest $$$$$$ maker. The procedure is NOT without risk. It is mostly used as a money-maker.

Most? - Analyst

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way to ascertain from the posts on this forum whether "most" of us in this profession are doctor avoiders or not. In fact, because of the very strong pro-establishment bent of health care workers, we doctor avoiders are probably still in the MINORITY albeit a growing one.

Similar Messages:

Can't Always Blame ASR
Mar 06, 2012

this one came straight from the dictator.......    ....  Per Dr. So-and-So, who is the infectious disease on the case.  ya just gotta chuckle when you are caught between a rock (ASR) and a hard place (doctors), can't possibly win.  ...

The Blame Game
Oct 03, 2013

Nuance is all about selling their voice wreakognition product.  They will never take the blame for any and all of its failures, instead they will shift it to the MLS.  They decieve their clients leading them to believe that their software delivers quality at 99% to 100% accuracy.    Clients you hear that:  All aboard you ship of fools!     ...

Yeah, Thats Right. Blame It On The Typist! -sm
May 06, 2010

"A computerized selloff possibly caused by a simple typographical error triggered one of the most turbulent days in Wall Street history..." We get blamed for everything else that goes wrong in business... might as well take the blame for the Stock Market, too. ...

I Am No Longer Going To Blame Myself As My MTSO Does
May 16, 2012

for lousy dictators!!  I am just fed up with being blamed for the dictator's inability to speak fluently.  I am just NOT going to blame myself any longer, nor am I going to shoulder the blame from the MTSO.  I am going to tell them talk to the doctors and I do not want to hear it again! ...

Are The Holidays Still To Blame For The Lack Of Work?
Jan 07, 2013

Still running out daily... When will these holidays be over? ...