A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The CMT *test* is not to see how much you know, but - instead, how GULLIBLE YOU ARE.

Posted: Mar 31, 2010

If any employer wants us to have that silly so-called "certification", they'll have to do a lot better than .05 cpl (or less) added to our pay for it. 

Show us the MONEY first.

CMT exam - rpCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that the pay incentive should be higher for passing this exam, but I don't think you should be belittling the accomplishment of getting your credentials. I worked very hard to get certified and feel proud of reaching that personal goal for myself, not just for a pay increase.

CMT exam - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree completely. The CMT exam is a big joke offered only to support the sponsoring organization. In no way can it be compared to ANY other certification or licensing exam, certification for CMT or RMT for that matter. If the certification was really that important, I think that the pay would reflect that, and it does not. The pay of MTs is low-wage, pennies per line, slave wages and does not reflect the importance or quality of obtaining any medical transcription certification. Nothing will change about that either; the only thing that will change and has changed is the people who are being duped into believing that this certification means something. I think that there are a lot of "medical certifications" that really mean absolutely nothing. In my opinion, the only people that really need certification are the ones who work with the public directly or their work (such as plumbers or electricians) has a direct affect on the life of who they do the work for. I mean if a plumber or electrician doesn't keep up with the standards or doesn't know what he is doing, someone's house could be flooded or burned down. I think that certification is really for the other person to give them confidence and assurance that the person delivering the service will "do no harm."

I see the CMT differently than you do although I don't care if people are certified or not - CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Before someone thinks I'm an AHDI 'suit' or some other label, I'm not a cheerleader for AHDI and I don't think I ever was.

I was happy to pass the CMT years ago and still keep my certification today. It was a tough test and many people failed it. Being able to pass it was important to me, to know that I was as good as I thought I was.

Back then we had people who would apply for work as a medical transcriptionist and when tested, they would cry. The CMT was a way to specify in a job ad that you want a 'tested' medical transcriptionist who can do discharge summaries, operative reports, and be able to handle cardiology, orthopedics, etc. That worked for the employers who used it.

The CMT is still an excellent test and opens doors. It makes people crazy when they believe they are 'as good as' any CMT and a CMT gets better money or more prestige by an employer, as they do in some cases. It also makes people crazy if they detest AHDI and everything it stands for.

The CMT still stands as the only method we have to certify that a medical transcriptionist is even truly a medical transcriptionist at all. There are many who call themselves by that name who shouldn't, because they can't transcribe past the level of one or two kinds of reports and even those are full of errors the typist doesn't recognize as errors.

Are there competent MTs who are not CMTs? OF COURSE! Nobody knows exactly which ones though, because employers hire the good and the bad and all we have is the word of the MT about how good they are, or aren't. As many of you have said here in this forum, you sure can't trust Q/A to judge who is good or bad, right? So who does determine if one is a skilled MT? I am because I say I am is not a very reliable method.

Is the CMT a perfect solution? Not unless all employers embrace it, and that's not going to happen. It's still a good way of measuring skills though for those who want to be tested and are up for the challenge.

Totally agree - rpCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't have put it better myself. I also am not a "suit," just a hard-working MT who is proud of my CMT.

CMT - AHDI crooks

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you also proud to support/finance an organization that sold us out years ago and supports/condones sending our jobs to India?
I don't know anything about this - rpCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am only talking about my own accomplishments, not about AHDI. If you are against the exam and what it stands for that is fine, but I don't think it is fair to condemn those that have chosen to take a formal step to further their career. I did this mainly to open up my opportunites to move myself up in my career. I also have a degree in Health Information Management, but chose to continue with transcription, because I truly enjoy the work and love the flexibility and the opportunity I have to be around my kids when their young.

I am new to this board and forum. I mainly came on here to help others and to communicate with people who enjoy and take pride in their work like I do. I don't really understand why there are so many bitter MTs out there. If you don't like the profession, then do something else.
but the money you pay to take their test, goes - to support AHDI and their wrongdoings.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I didn't pay for the test, my employer did. nm - rpCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
A lot of people do like the profession, they don't - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
like what has happened to the profession. They have done nothing to deserve being told to get out of a profession they have worked hard at, just to be hurt by MTSOs and AHDI. It is those people who should get out of the profession, people who have lowered MTs wages, but not their own, have used the MTs for their own gain and yet lowered the wages, show disrespect for the MTs, nitpick them to death, etc. Many MTs have been around a very long time and they have seen many bad changes and don't need to be told to get out of their chosen profession because they have essentially now been scammed. It was a lot better before the MTSOs began mistreating the MTs, hospitals didn't have MTSOs and it was a lot better for the MTs when they didn't.
AHDI crooks - notapennyfromme
[ In Reply To ..]
I asked a question, which was Are you proud to support an organization who gleefully promotes sending our work to India? One which you didn't answer, BTW. I don't see condemnation, just trying to understand from a different perspective why anybody would give these lying con artists one penny.

Oh and please come back and let us know how far your piece of paper with some initials on it furthers your career.

CMT exam - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, that is good for you that you wanted to take the CMT exam. But . . . I am here to tell you that I am very educated and have been tested on every MT position that I have ever held and passed with flying colors . . why? because I knew my stuff. What is absurd is MTs who were educated as "christian education" teachers or "learned on the job" types or whatever who have never even transcribed until they were on the job. What is mind boggling is that these groups of people actually believe that they know more or just as much as a trained MT and an MT who has a lot of science-based courses. Another thing is the people who have "years experience" and no formal training who think they know it all. What has to be remembered is that not everyone who works (ed) as an MT fits the stereotype of the typical MT. There are(were) reasons that some people chose to work in that field instead of another healthcare area, and they are more knowledgeable than someone say who is a "christian education" teacher or someone who was "trained on the job." These people should not have to prove themselves over and over to prove that they are as good or better than many CMTs. In some cases, when dealing with a "questionable CMT" who is a supervisor, that supervisors does somewhat unethical things to try to prove that point.

My choice is the reason that I never spent the big bucks out of my own money to take the CMT exam. If an employer would have PAID for the exam, I probably would have taken it, because I have already taken a national healthcare exam in the past, after schooling, and passed with flying colors. BUT . . . the money and the MT certification does not justify the cost -- that is probably why employers wouldn't pay for the exam.

Ex-MT what do you do now? - MT68

[ In Reply To ..]
Kudos on passing a NHE with flying colors!! Good for you! I started in the MT world as an MA, so my training is different than most as well. I have worked in all aspects of an office..front/back/MT/ins/billing, etc. Just curious what you are doing now as I am looking at taking Health Care Management to re-enter the workforce and put all my schooling and training from 20 years ago into full swing now that the kids are getting big...
to MT68 - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi there MA . . . Guess what, I was also trained as an MA . . . interesting and small world. . . MA training to working as an MT was great info. I started back in the early '90s but now I actually would not like to be involved in healthcare at all. Working as an MT has put a "bad taste" for healthcare in my proverbial mouth. :-)

I am not doing anything right now. I graduate with a B.S. degree in an unrelated field. I've been working full-time and going to school PT but that has totally changed right now. I think that probably most people who are still doing MT either are trying to find a way out, because it absolutely cannot pay the bills, are MTs who haven't figured this out yet, or are retirees or the like who just need a little extra cash now and then. What do you think about that theory?
To Ex-MT - MT68
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I completely agree with your theory. When I started out I had my own little service down in my hometown. I had about 6 orthopods I worked for. I busted my butt working 24/7 so I could stay home with the kids and I made more money (at the time) than I would have as an MA. Well, those years are LONG gone. I relocated and had my little business up until 2006 when I finally tried going with an MTSO. My experience with that has been actually very good. I have been with the same "owner", if you will, for 4 years (she started her own company a few years ago); however, the money is ridiculously low and I just don't have the desire to type 1200 or more lines a day. And now, I am in a position where my clinical experience seems to be too long ago for anyone to hire me as an MA, which is silly, it's like riding a bike (you don't forget how to draw blood right?? take an xray? put EKG leads on??) but they would rather pay a fresh out of school MA than pay me what I'm worth, so that's why I figure complete my schooling for management.

I have, however, thought about getting into law, assisting/paralegal. I don't know. I definitely don't see a long term future anymore with MT...the pay is just ridiculous for amount of knowledge we have and as hard as we work, we should be making double or triple what we do...

I wish you the best on your future endeavors...I won't ever regret this time in my life that's for sure. I didn't miss out on my kids growing up and that is priceless. Best to you....

TO MT68 - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That is so very interesting that you mentioned that about experience too long ago as an MA. Many people in the healthcare industry I think assume that if MTs have some other kind of experience (or another department IS from RN) that we can just hope over to the other side. I was just talking to someone today about my entire situation, i.e. about how people don't want to hire a person if they think that person is not "fit" (whatever that means; that is definitely subjective) or if they think the person will just look for another job ASAP. This person was actually a relative who is upper management somewhere and obviously has lost site of reality and how it really is out there. He honestly believes that it is okay for me to take a $15,000 or $20,000 a year job and that would be fine -- (not that I've turned anything away because I haven't). I told him that I would take that but you can bet that I would be looking for something ASAP; and he actually thinks that a person can live comfortably and get buy (which I think is all he cares) on $27,000 a year. I told him that at $27,000 a year someone is just able to pay bills and scrape by and if they are making $20,000 or $15,000 a year that is someone who is on or eligible for food stamps, public assistance, and housing assistance -- the extremely working poor. He just doesn't get it. He even thinks that I could get a transcription job if I wanted to -- NOT :-) I told him that no one can barely get a job now in anything and that transcription is heading on its way out and a person cannot live or even begin to make a decent living on that wage anymore, even if they did get a job at that. I told him that the only people who are getting jobs right now are the owns who have had networked business contacts with people -- how many MTs do you know who have that?! :-)

Be careful whatever you choose to do in healthcare, i.e. healthcare administration, because it won't be long before all MR functions and I think that some financial functions like claims processing etc. will be sent overseas probably to India -- and I am not an EMR fanatic (I think they should have had electronic records way back when the rest of the world went on electronic records). I think a lot will be sent overseas because of the money and greed that seems to be proliferating in the healthcare industry. -- My opinion. What do you think about this?
to Ex MT - MT68
[ In Reply To ..]
Again, I agree with you on the outsourcing. With the new HC reform many doctors are going to have to cut back and the first to go that can be done outside is MT and then billing and wherever they can find it the cheapest that is what they are going to go with....unfortunately no loyalty to US jobs.

I worked at a facility during the time they went EMR and it made life so much easier (I was surgical coordinating at the time) for the staff, providers, etc. Hunting for a chart has got to be the biggest waste of time and the most frustrating, especially when you find out the doc had it and it's IN THE TRUNK OF HIS CAR...am I right?? HA!

Well I am like you, I wouldn't take a job for 15K or 20K either...not be snobby, but I am worth way more than that and knowledge and experience go a LONG way (or at least I thought being able to work front/back office). I am lucky right now to be able to continue to MT and DH has a good paying job but I don't see myself doing this in a couple of years.

I've been soul searching on what to do, hoping to begin school in the Fall.

Again, great chatting with you...I like the way you think. ;-)
Any suggestions MT68 - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I like the way you think too. I was thinking about trying to get a PT MT job in the next couple of weeks, if what I am trying to do right now doesn't pan out well. I prefer using my iMac. Do you know of any decent place that would be interested in a PT MT iMac user? I hate the thought of being paid by the line because I think it is a crock of sh_t and slave labor but . . . I want to be employee and I can still look for something better in another line of work. What are your thoughts on this?
EX-MT - MT68
[ In Reply To ..]
I would be happy to chat more with you..let's do it through our personal emails. Do you know how to obtain mine? I'm not sure how to do that.

What on earth is (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You referred to MTs who are "christian education" teachers - what are you referring to there? I've been in this field for over 35 years and that's a new on me. Thanks!
Heee heee - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked with someone whose degree was actually in christian education . . . that is what her degree was . . . she clearly and proudly stated that fact . . . That is all wonderful and fine if that was her degree, but that type of person has to think about the fact that people with a science background know probably what she has tested for as CMT or "on-the-job." It was pretty ridiculous from my perspective.
Oh - thanks! (nm) - Long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I learned on the job, in a 6 doctor urology office. sm - MT and worn out

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned on the job. I started in the file room of a 6 doctor uro office. Everybody knows that the file room is a dumping ground for every piece of paper that people do not know what to do with. Finding charts? Don't get me started on that. I decided after 6 months or so of being in the file room that this was not the life I had envisioned for myself.

We hired a new pediatric urologist straight from Fellowship at Mayo. They needed somebody to type his work, so I learned to do medical transcription. At first I filed part time and typed part time. Once he got his feet underneath him, I became his full time typist. I still type for him today along with my full time job at a hospital. My only class work was 2 semesters of medical terminology.

The point I am trying to make is this: Please don't belittle those of us who did not spend big bucks on their career. I feel that we can do just as well as a "certified" MT. I know a lot of people who took classes for MT and still can't find a job. I consider $7K a lot of money to spend on your degree and then not have a job. And will probably never find a job because it is cheaper for the MTSOs to send the work overseas to somebody who will work for dirt wages and will jump for joy because they can.

I have taken that test twice in my career, and - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
easily passed. I only did it because the companies I worked for at the time wanted to be able to say we were certified. It changed nothing for me. I found the test extremely easy. I expected a much harder test.

That's why I never took the test... - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT 20 years and with/without CMT does not give more/less money. Why bother? Spend money and time to study and take the test...FOR WHAT? Whenever asked, I tell people NO WAY...don't go there...waste of money and time. If they provided a reason - more money, a bonus, company pays for the test and class, then maybe...but that never happened.

Similar Messages:

Test S/l Mal-blees Test - Left Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis
Jan 18, 2012

x ...

Is Anyone Here An RHIT? Wondering How Difficult The Test Is Compared To CCS Test
Jul 10, 2012

nm ...

Gyno Test - S/l Wisp Test? I Think I'm Spent!
Jan 05, 2010

.. ...

Knee Test, Sounds Like "Simon's First Test"
May 06, 2015

Doc is doing a knee exam for large meniscal tear and bone-on-bone medial compartment OA.  He says what sounds like "Simons first test" caused grade 4 posterolateral tenderness. Any ideas? Thanks, Andrea ...

Apprehension Test Is Negative. *Falk* Sign Is Negative. Speed Test Is Negative. Thanx. Nm
Nov 30, 2011

nm ...

Lab Test Name
Oct 22, 2009

Sounds like CCSR~sound familiar to anyone, because I can't confirm it and I have never heard of it. TIA! ...

S/l G-lie-a-test
Nov 08, 2009

This is in the patient's medication list. Doctor says "s/l g-lie-a-test as needed". The patient has severe dementia, hypertension, history of aggressive sexual behavior at nursing home and glaucoma.  His other medications include lorazepam and Xalatan drops. Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

3T4 Test
Dec 16, 2009

Is that right, and is that how it should be typed out? thanks. ...

Lab Test Pro-on
May 25, 2010

Hi could somebody help me out with the lab test sounds like pro-one, but  I am unable to verify it on google. Is it Pro-1, pro-1, Pro-One or what? ...

Another Test
May 25, 2010

He was also negative for HIV s/l EFB.  ...

This Job Is A Test . . . It Is Only A Test
Jul 19, 2010

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!! ...

Anyone Taken The MME Test?
Sep 01, 2010

Just curious what I might be up against if I tried it.  I've done this for roughly 12 yrs but a friend (who has been at it longer than me) failed the first part. ...

Has Anyone Taken The MME Test
Oct 08, 2010

I am going to apply for MME, and I guess then you get an invitation to take the test.  Does anyone know about this test?  Do they expect you to proof the documents from begnning to end or just fill in blanks?  Any other information would be great as welll. ...

Lab Test Help, Please!
Nov 29, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a test that s/l antiglumera BMAB?  It comes at the end of a long list of rheumatologic lab tests. ...

Another Lab Test...
Nov 29, 2010

How about a CL1Q?  Again, it is at the end of a long list of rheumatology labs. ...

New CMT Test
Jan 12, 2011

Did anyone take the new beta CMT test and find out their results? There were techical problems with scoring or something?  We've been waiting weeks and weeks and were told we would get the results no later than today, and still haven't heard anything.  ...

Before I Test For MQ....
Mar 17, 2011

can anyone tell me if they allow Windows 7 and what type of internet connect they require.  I realize most people here will tell me not to work for them, but I need a job bad. Thanks ...

TTS Test
Mar 24, 2011

Has anyone tested for TTS? ...

ROI Test
May 14, 2011

Has anyone here passed the ROI online test?  I took it but didn't pass.  The "failure" message suggested a specific training program.... There was an entire thread about this a few months ago.  Numerous MTs, some with 20 and 30 years of experience, said they didn't pass it.  (I have over two decades w/ extensive rad and have always had superb QAs.)  Someone suggested that it may be a scam.... I carefully reviewed each question and answer before submitting.&n ...

RMT Test
Sep 30, 2011

Could someone advise me about taking the RMT test?  Has anyone taken it?  Would you take it first, then CMT after this?  I am not sure about this.  Thank you.  I have been an MT for many many years, but feel I need to do this if I want to go independent.  ...

TT Test?
Apr 23, 2013

So, the ad says to send resume via email and then go to the website to do test.  Does anyone know how to access the test as I don't see anything on the website.  Do you have to wait for an invite? ...

Eye Test
May 28, 2013

How would you write on a Snellen eye test when doctor says right eye 20 over 25 minus 7? Thank you in advance. ...

M.I.S.T. Test
Dec 10, 2013

I saw on here that for the M.I.S.T. test they screen share with you and watch you test.  Does anyone know what kind of test it is......typing test or what? ...

Did Anyone Take The Test Yet?
Mar 13, 2014

It was HARD!!!   I was actually happy to learn the test was on Anatomy & Physiology and felt super confident going in but ... dang.   I got my score and did really well but seeing as there are only 60 spots, I'm pretty sure anything less than 100% isn't going to be good enough. ...

What About The Day You Took The Test
Mar 20, 2014

yet.    Maybe they are going by the day you took the test? ...

I'm Going To Do A Test....
Feb 26, 2015

This is when your in a report and the voice is not going OR you are signed in and sitting there with no job open, correct?? The other day I had to take a quick break, I put a heavy book on my foot pedal so it continued to play, then just backed it up when I got back. My hours are always below... but I'm rarely goofing off. I dont get it. From here forward Im going to have the pedal going at all times when in a job, even when researching, then back it up where I need it. Then at the end I w ...

Lab Test
May 11, 2015

Lab test result s/l CNX9 or CNS9 of 274,500.  Patient has newly diagnosed pancreatic cancer w/liver mets. ...

Strevegoitic Test?
Oct 27, 2009

I am a student still, so I have a lot to learn.  Anyway, in the physical exam portion, the dictator says for extremities that (strevegoitic) test is negative.  Any ideas?  Thank you! ...

Faber Test
Nov 19, 2009

I see this test typed all the time in ASR as Faber test but when I Googled it, it came up as all caps because it is an acronym. Can anyone kindly shed some light?  Thanks so much!     ...

Screening Test
Nov 19, 2009

16 y/o consented to what s/l radac screening.  Definitely hearing dac on the end.  ...