A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Text Expander - what do you prefer - Ernest

Posted: Nov 02, 2012

I'm studying to be an MT (although, reading the posts on the forum, I'm beginning to wonder about that choice), and was wondering what Text Expander software was preferred by most MTs.  What do you all like?

I use Instant Text - jw

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been using Instant Text for nearly 6 years now and love it! I really like not having to memorize all of my shortcuts. Creating glossaries is quick and easy to do, and IT has a lot of great features and capabilities. For me, Instant Text has been a great tool to help increase my productivity, and I can't imagine working without it.

I know Shorthand is another popular expander program, but I have never used it personally.

Hope this helps!

If you're using MS Word - TMSOA

[ In Reply To ..]
MS Word has excellent built in word expansion capabilities that few people are aware of. On the other hand the makers of expansion software don't want you to know about it.

if you are referring to autocorrect it is designed for typo fixes - not so much for bulk text as in

[ In Reply To ..]
whole reports, whole paragraphs, collummating values, etc.

I used shorthand, can pull the date/time right off your computer clock, stores plenty with bolded headings or underlining, etc. Works independently with all platforms as not attached to Word, like Smartype or Word options. Free trial offered and you can pay by the month, or year if low on cash for purchase. I like it.

AutoComplete - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
AutoComplete was removed in Word 2007 but reintroduced in Word 2010.

http://compusavvy.wordpress.com/2010/02/06/autocomplete-returns-in-word-2010-quick-primer-on-quick-parts/
works IF all clients are Word based...not mine. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Word based.... - Nancy
[ In Reply To ..]
Agreed. I was responding to a Word-specific post, not to expanders in general.
Right. Same here. I use Instant Text. - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Over the years, I've used AutoCorrect, ExEditor's expander, and Instant Text and I prefer Instant Text - my productivity is much higher than with the previous two.
I found IT clunky and nonproductive. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes and the CD tray on my mom's PC is not a cup holder .. - TMSOA

[ In Reply To ..]
... but, it works and she's been happy with her cup holder/CD tray for years with no complaints.

Likewise we have some MTs that have been using the AutoCorrect feature in Word 2007 for text expansion and they see no reason to upgrade to Word 2010 for a "designed" expansion feature since what they have work just as well. They wont buy any expansion software either. It works for them and we are happy with their work.
AutoCorrect is Word specific, though - IT and Shorthand/Smartype are universal
[ In Reply To ..]
I felt like I was limiting myself using AutoCorrect, especially when I had 2 different jobs, one of which was not on a Word-based platform. With my commercial expander, IT, I am able to easily use it on almost all web-based platforms and it stays updated with the expansions I add for all my accounts that way. In other words, if I use AutoCorrect for the accounts that utilize Word and use the built-in word expander for the accounts that have web-based platforms, then I am having to maintain 2 different sets of expansions instead of just one with IT, which works universally with most MT platforms including web-based and Word.

the thing MS Word does not want you to know is - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
how unstable the expansion function is. How many people have lost their files because it gets corrupt when it gets overloaded? The world may never know...

LOL, I don't think software companies are "hiding" Word - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Anybody who has Word on their computer has full access to the expanders.

Huh? - Common knowledge

[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure that the word expansion capabilities in Word are common knowledge in the MT community. MTs these days need a word expander that can be used on multiple platforms, however, and some of the commercial word expanders have features that blow away Word's expansion capabilities.

THE best one I've found... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and trust me...I've used a ton of them!

http://www.nagarsoft.com/

Similar Messages:

Which Expander Do You Prefer?
Sep 10, 2011

I'm thinking of switching to either Instant Text or Shorthand from the generic Bayscribe expander that I've been using.  Back in the day PRD+ did everything that I needed for it to do and more.  Which expander do you prefer (doesn't have to be one of the ones mentioned above)?  Thanks in advance.   ...

Text Expander..HELP!
Jan 18, 2010

I was forced to switch to Windows 7 and I found that Stedmans Smartype was no longer compatible. After shedding some tears, I am searching for a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions about any medical text expanders that are good and work similar to Smartype (that work within WORD). I am currently looking at Speedtype...does anyone have any reviews on that? Thank you!! ...

Text Expander?
Apr 08, 2010

text expander? ...

Text Expander And SR
Aug 03, 2011

In school, we were given the opportunity to have a 4-month trial of Shorthand for Windows. I really enjoyed using this program and had considered purchasing an extended license for it when I become employed; however, I thought of the MT industry heading more towards SR/VR editing and wondered if having a text expander would be useful at all. Any inputs? I'm currently using Word's AutoCorrect as a substitute. ...

Best Text Expander?
Apr 09, 2012

Could anyone give me any recommendations for a good general text expander (starting an ASR job in a couple of weeks)?  I use Phrase Express right now, but I don't like some of its limitations and bugs, and customer service stinks.  I'm really interested in hearing from someone who has tried a couple and has a preference and why.   TIA! ...

Text Expander
Jan 02, 2015

I can't remember how I got the text expander ShortCut to work on my Windows 7 32 bit computer. Anyone know how? I orginally got ShortCut from Sylvan Software, but I can't find their site, so maybe, they are out of business. What are good text expanders? ...

TEXT EXPANDER Recommendations
May 16, 2010

Would like recommendations for best text expanding for transcription.  Thank you for your help.   ...

Free Text Expander
Nov 20, 2011

Hi guys, Do you happen to know any free text expander compatible with Windows 7? Would appreciate it very much if you could help me with this. Thanks.   jum ...

Text Expander Software Sm
Apr 28, 2014

Hi all.  A new job has just fallen into my lap at a fortuitous time.  My regular job has fallen off drastically recently (we're all familiar with this "syndrome") and I thought I was just stuck.  Anyway, this other job uses WebChartMD platform for transcription and there is no text expander program associated with it.  My current job has a built-in TE, so I haven't had to use a commercial/free product in a long time.  I'm wondering any ya'll have any ...

Text Expander File
Apr 20, 2015

Can anyone tell me how to find the file on my computer that holds my text expanders for DocQScribe/Fluency.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Worth Buying Text Expander?
Jan 08, 2011

I have been working on trying to increase my speed with expanders.  So far I've been using Microsoft word to enter expanders but I'm wondering if that is enough.  I would like to have an expander for blocks of text.  Have any you purchased a text expander program and is it worth it?  I'm shocked at the price of a few of these programs and hesitate to purchase one. ...

Text Expander Smartype Compatibility
Jan 09, 2011

I love Smartype, but a real fear is that at some point I will have to upgrade from XP--and Smartype is not compatible with the new versions of Windows. Does anyone know if there's any way to accommodate the Smartype shortcuts with a new platform/expander? ...

Word Expander Other Than Instant Text
Jan 27, 2011

Are there any other expansion programs that lets you use the same keyword for multilple entries like Instant Text does?  For example, CVA could be either cerebrovascular accident or cardiovascular accident... ...

Text Expander (Rocket Typing)
Sep 17, 2012

I received Speedtype from the school I am going through to learn Medical Transcription. It worked fine and then we started having computer issues and my husband decided to upgrade to a newer version of Windows. To make a long story short, the new version of Windows was put on a separate hard drive in the same computer, but for some reason when I would log into the old hard drive to use Speedtype it would say I no longer had a license and would have to purchase a replacement license....so I did ...

Text Expander Of Choice These Days?
Jun 04, 2013

What is the text expander of choice these days? ...

Text Expander Best With EScription / EditScript ?
May 17, 2014

Which text expander is easy to use and works best with eScription/EditScript? ...

Windows 7 And ShortCut Text Expander Problems.
May 02, 2010

So I bought a new PC and it runs Win7. I've got everything up and running, my platform and audio player works great. BUT...I can't get my expander to work properly.  I can install it and start it and it looks like it's running fine but when I enter text that should expand, it just doesn't. At all, in any program (Word, Firefox, notepad, etc). Their site says that it should work just fine in any Windows-based program and it has since Win98, up until now. We all know ho ...

TEXT EXPANDER FOR WORDPAD OR OPEN OFFICE?
Nov 11, 2010

Hi, I am a happy PC shorthand customer but now will need an expander that works in WordPad/Notepad or Open Office since I can't afford the Microsoft products.  I tried FastFox but it won't import my Shorthand.  I need a new expander that will import or else that has importable files.  Any ideas?  Oh yes, can't afford Instant Text or other high-cost expanders either.  ...

Is There Any Third-party Text Expander That Works With Speechmotion? Sm
Jun 09, 2013

The internal one is just awful! ...

Transcend - BeyondText Platform - What Text Expander Do You Recommend?
Aug 17, 2011

x ...

How Do I Import Bayscribe Expander Entries Into Instant Text?
Sep 13, 2011

I downloaded the trial version of Instant Text and used the Importer to import my Bayscribe expander entries through Text File.  Either this was the wrong format to use or I did something else wrong because the entries are not expanding.  I was able to get the abbvs.glo file to show up in the glossary entries.  Can anybody help with this?  Thanks in advance.   ...

Text Expander With Existing MT Basics Dictionary For Download?
Jan 29, 2015

I'm returning to MT after several years away and working as an IC. As the shortcut/word expanders I used in the past were built-ins or others with dictionaries that are no longer available, I'm wondering if there are any text expanders that come pre-loaded or have existing MT basic word expansions (tp = the patient, hpi - history of present illness, etc.) or that have ones ready for download. I seem to remember one I used in the past that had a basic dictionary already available that t ...

Announcing PhraseExpander 3, New Advanced Text Expander For Medical Transcription
Nov 04, 2011

Hello everyone, I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new text expansion software that has been developed working with physicians. It allows you to autocomplese words and sentences and prepare very powerful templates. Please check http://www.phraseexpander.com/tour/medical-doctors/ ...

Which Do You Prefer?
Mar 28, 2011

Which do you prefer? Male or female dictators? and why? My preference is the former. Maybe its just the docs I work for, but they seem less fussy and easy to listen to. ...

AAMT BOS.....CD Or Book? Which Do You Prefer And Why? Thanks. Nm
Mar 10, 2010

x ...

Nuance MTs Actually Prefer The New EBTXT To The Old One? 
May 17, 2013

Do any of you Nuance MTs actually prefer the new eBTXT to the old one?  I definitely miss many of the features of the old platform.  Wondering if it's just me. ...

I Think I Will Prefer Editscript To Byndtxt Except For One Thing--sm
Nov 24, 2014

Unless I am missing it, not seeing the patient's age already calculated is a major flaw.  That and I miss being able to see the amount of reports lined up.  Otherwise, I think it will be better overall.  I definitely am not going to miss those darn header keys.  Of course, now I have to go through a bunch of shorthand entries and fix them. ...

Instant Text - How Do You Bold Text?
Dec 07, 2011

I'm new to IT and have a question:  How do you bold text?  I went into "Edit" and see several options but not for bolding. Yes, it's probably in the manual but I'm on the clock right now so hope someone will post it here. Thanks! ...

Do You Transcribe In Silence Or Do You Prefer Many "goings On" Around?
Jun 07, 2015

I notice so many who talk about doctors dictating with kids screaming in the background, docs talking to other docs, alarms going off, etc.    It got me thinking about when I first started out.  I had to have absolute silence.  Kids had to be in bed, hubby gone, TV off, etc.   My gf said, "NO WAY!  Turn on the TV!  You have to get used to hearing other things going on so you don't restrict yourself to only being able to transcribe in absolute silence." &n ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...