A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Support our industry and jobs - Please write these - letters before March 17 -- SM

Posted: Mar 05, 2010

Instructions and model letter provided here. 

INSTRUCTIONS:

Instructions for Letter Writing

1. Find out who your federal legislators are:

a. Find out who your Representative is by using the zip code search at www.house.gov.

b. Find out who your two Senators are by using the “Find Your Senators” option at www.senate.gov.

2. Address your letters as follows:

a. For Senators: The Honorable (Full Name)

United States Senate

Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator (Last Name)

b. For Representatives: The Honorable (Full Name)

United States House of Representatives

Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative (Last Name)

3. Draft your letter using the model letter at the end of these instructions. Personalize your letter and use whatever portion of the model letter you believe will make the point to your legislators.

4. Mail your letter to the Dewey Square Group office by no later than Wednesday, March 17, so that the letter can be delivered on your behalf. Include with your letter an unsealed envelope addressed to your legislator and your address in the return address section. Your letter will be placed in the personalized envelope and hand delivered. The envelope does not need a stamp.

Laura McAleer

Dewey Square Group

1001 G Street, NW

Suite 400E

Washington, DC 20001

MODEL LETTER:

Instructions for Letter Writing

(Your Legislator’s Mailing Address)

Dear Senator OR Representative (Last Name):

As a constituent, a professional in the health documentation sector, and member of the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) AND/OR the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA), I write today to encourage your support for my industry and our campaign to get the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT to acknowledge in regulations that the dictation-transcription process and structured narrative reports are vital elements of electronic health records (EHR) and are included in the definition of “meaningful use.”

The medical transcription industry, employing hundreds of thousands of Americans across the country, enable more efficient EHR adoption. Medical transcription companies and professionals work with physicians to create accurate, complete, and secure records to optimize patient care delivery and to ensure safety. The dictation-transcription process remains physicians’ preferred method for documenting care because it is easy to use and is time-efficient, allowing physicians more time to focus on treating their patients. If the dictation-transcription process is included in the documentation sections of “meaningful use,” physicians will be more likely to embrace the push for greater EHR adoption and to find the experience of using an EHR to be a positive one for them, their healthcare teams, and patients.

I stand ready to work closely with physicians, hospitals, and clinics to achieve “meaningful use” of EHRs. Most importantly, regardless of the method used to capture healthcare information, medical transcriptionists can serve as an “extra set of eyes” to ensure the quality, accuracy, and consistency of patient records. With broader EHR adoption, error rates could put patients at greater risk. By employing more documentation professionals more jobs will be created while at the same time reducing medical errors in the healthcare record.

Here in (City or State or Region) I work with (Dozens – Hundreds – Thousands) of healthcare providers and I worry that if the dictation-transcription process is left out of “meaningful use,” the quality of patient health records will deteriorate and jobs could potentially be lost across (City or State or Region). The healthcare documentation sector is a solution to the challenges of EHR adoption. Including EHRs in the definition of “meaningful use” would allow for physician choice, uphold the value of the patient narrative, promote more efficient use of physician time, and preserve and grow jobs in the healthcare documentation field. I strongly encourage you to support me and my colleagues by writing a letter to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT and asking them to acknowledge the dictation-transcription process and structured narrative reports as vital elements of “meaningful use” and EHR certification.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like additional information about our sector and association. Thank you for your consideration, time, and support.

Sincerely,

(Your Signature)

(Your Name Printed)

Offshoring, where does it state this should not be done? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
done. Maybe I am just missing it. How will this benefit the US transcriptionist financially and concerning our job security and fair salary and bringing our jobs back home to the United States where they belong?

letter - workingmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a member of AHDI or MTIA. This sounds as if it addresses EHR but not offshoring.

I think you are exactly right - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
No mention of offshoring and the need for medical records to be typed here in the good ol' USA!!!! That would address the problem or people losing jobs here in our country, the unfairness the MTs are experiencing by these big nationals, etc. Keep the work here in the USA and keep more Americans employed should be the topic.

United States MTs need support for their jobs, not offshoring. - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

I agree. I dont care about the EHR - I care about - my wage declining & job leaving the US. -NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

For all of you who detest AHDI, you need to read..sm - AHDI, Dewey Square

[ In Reply To ..]
this link:
http://ahdionline.blogspot.com/2009/06/ahdi-and-mtia-begin-work-with-dewey.html

I thought this letter-writing campaign sounded familiar to me - now I see why.

Looks like those buggers are at it again....... - Zircon - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

So now AHDI wants help from transcriptionists? - Or is this - one more time - for benefit of MTSOs?

[ In Reply To ..]
When AAMT changed their name to AHDI, it was the only honest thing they've done during their long and reprehensible history. At last, they no longer pretended to be an organization devoted to the medical transcriptionist.

Now, they're concerned about their true constituency - the MTSO. "Meaningful use" is a term that refers to requirements for an EHR platform to be accredited, and AHDI is afraid that such platforms won't be required to incorporate elements that will assure that transcription companies will always have "a seat at the table".

Unfortunately, this constituency is fairly small in number and if every one wrote a letter it wouldn't make much of an impression. So now they want the "hundreds of thousands of transcriptionists" -- the very people they abandoned in the first place in order to chase the bucks from the MTSOs -- to step up now and save their bacon by flooding letters into Washington.

Ironic, isn't it? Be careful who you screw in life because the positions have a funny way of being reversed!

You get no letter from me, AHDI.

No letter fro me as well -it's called karma!! - RLee - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Maybe they can get letters from India - never a member!

[ In Reply To ..]
They need to ask for help from the people they have helped (MTSOs and overseas workers), not American MTs. This is just another excuse for them to sell more bogus credentials - unfortunately at VR wages we will not be able to afford their credentialing fees this time. But they'll give the credentials for free to overseas workers so they can brag about high numbers of "creditialed MTs" they have in their work force. Smells like the same old snake oil.

This is about their jobs, not ours. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They just want us to support THEM, it's not about us. They sure don't support us. They do nothing for the American MT at all. Hopefully eventually they will all be out of business because of their gross mistreatment of the very workers who made their livelihood possible. Life is not a one-way street. No one likes to be mistreated and taken advantage of and very badly used, including MTs.

Anyone here who might be thinking about - - s/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
trying to get an expose done someday on these guys should print out and save the letter, and the website in the link that was provided above. It's a very revealing bit of evidence that it's always about THEM, and never about US. (Remember US, AHDI? We're the ones on whose backs you made your millions, by selling our jobs to India and beyond.)

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND, DOESN'T IT?!

Well, all I can say ... sm - letters before March 17 - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
If you won't do something to help your career, you have no right to complain.

How absurdly infantile to sit on your hands and do nothing just because you don't like the association.

Nothing but absolute blind hatred and bitterness in your souls will get you nowhere but to the poor house faster and with good cause, I might add.

No wonder the industry is so difficult to change: Look at who is working in it.

I'd say good luck but I don't see any need to. I think you so-called karma is biting you in the butt right now and will just start taking bigger bites!

LOL

This letter will do nothing for our careers. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you kidding? There is nothing in there about our careers, just more of the same. In all these years they have done nothing to help our careers, nothing. Are you new or what? Or one of them? They will not quit supporting offshoring or lowering our wages. They do not even try to combat the abuse we are suffering in our wages and being so taken advantage of while they fill their pockets. They have had many years to support American MTs and they certainly have not done that, only taken care of themselves. They care nothing for the American MTs, only for themselves.

Karma - give me a break

[ In Reply To ..]
Well all I can say is this is the biggest bunch of bunk I have read in a long time. Sure EMR is here to stay and I don't think that is a bad thing. But it still takes transcriptionists to do the job right, that is why there are so many editors needed for VR. But why are so many editors needed in the U.S.? We are expected to work at third- world country wages to clean up what was transcribed in a third-world country by an incompetent MT. We need the jobs to stay in the U.S. "Our U.S. Records, Our U.S.Jobs" needs to be our motto. Let the offshore MT's transcribe the records for their own countries, I don't see offshore hospitals sending their records to the U.S. to be transcribed.

On the contrary -- critical thinking - not hatred or bitterness

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that it's important to take action to help our careers. However, putting my eggs in AHDI's basket only gives them more eggs.

I have no idea what AHDI's agenda is in terms of developing relationships with legislators. Do you?

What I do get from their "promo piece" is their desire to HAVE IT LEGISLATED that all individuals involved in medical documentation be a member of their organization. All of us. Lots of yearly membership fees. Lots of money.

Kind of like being a member of a union -- but without the attendant benefits of advocacy on behalf of the worker.

Does it not interest you that Medquist is a member of AHDI? Do you realize that the $1.5-million settlement from the class action suit brought again Medquist was paid to AHDI -- and NOT to the MTs who suffered from MQs dishonest practices?

I don't believe AHDI advised their members that it would have been in their best interest to opt out of the class action in order to recover their wages. AHDI certainly did not disburse the settlement funds to the individuals from whom they benefited.

Always, always investigate the background, the motivation, the agenda, and the real message behind the public relations.

Good luck to all of us!

I got the same thing from it - no forced membership!

[ In Reply To ..]
Why should we be forced to pay THEM in order to work? And how in heck can anyone afford it with them advocating slashed wages and offshored work? If you think I'm writing my representatives begging them to legislate ADHI "right" to victimize me further, think again!

Umm... how long you been in this biz? AHDI is the - association that bit us all in the arse.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

They have been trying this ploy for many years in a row...nm - For your information

[ In Reply To ..]
It's their explanation of "doing something to help the MT industry." However, even AHDI members are fed up with their so-called promises. That "hope and change" thing just doesn't work in the US these days, and IMO AHDI should do SOMETHING instead of just saying they are - you know, like actually doing something to bring work back to the US instead of promoting the offshoring because many MTSOs involved in AHDI have offshore interests!

Here is my correspondence with AHDI . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
On March 3, 2010, at 12:59 p.m. someone posted below by the title in this subject line. Not posted by me or by anyone I know, but an excellent post and if you have not read it, you can find it below.

AHDI wants us to support them, why, so they can help offshore our work more and help the MTSOs cut our wages more? There is no help for American MTs from them, ABSOLUTELY NONE.

thanks for pointing that out - excellent post

[ In Reply To ..]
here's the link to the post:

http://forum.mtstars.com/202208.html

I think we should find our who our Senators and other - representatives are, and WARN them about AHDI !!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
In a climate where everyone's interested about getting the economy rolling again, and getting jobs for people, they should be alerted BEFOREHAND that this company is a complete, 100% SHAM, and giving them their support is about as un-American as one can get. AHDI should be forced completely out of the US, to India where it belongs.

AHDI GETS NO HELP FROM THIS USA MT. - NONE AT ALL.

[ In Reply To ..]
Nowhere in this letter does it state to keep the transcription work in the USA.

AHDI you can kiss me where the good Lord split me.

I will not help an organization who has done NOTHING to ensure that these jobs stay RIGHT IN THE USA.

PLEASE POINT OUT WHERE IN THE LETTER IT SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT KEEPING THE JOBS IN THE USA USING USA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS -- NOT INDIAN TRANSCRIPTIONISTS!!!

So--whoever posted this can join AHDI where the good Lord did his splittin on me!!

AND PACK A LUNCH YOU WILL BE THERE A WHILE!

I'll help them...right out the plane window over India. NM - becarefulwhatyouwishforADHI

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Re: "support Our Industry" Post Below
Mar 07, 2010

Maybe I am missing something here, and I appreciate anyone who can educate me on this, but from what I understand, the term "meaningful use" pertains to the degree to which health information technology (HIT) is used in a meaningful and correct way with respect to the electronic health record (EHR).   Institutions who achieve the soon-to-be-defined standard would qualify for limited-time  incentive payments from Medicare/Medicaid.    This has nothing wha ...

Scrotal Support S/l Support "T"
Feb 13, 2012

For surgical scrotal support, doctor says " a scrotal supportee was left in place."  I have googled this, looked in Stedmans GI/GU, surgical and equipment books.  Cannot find.    I would like to think scrotal supporting, but she definitely says "a".  Has anyone heard of this? Thanks.  ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

New To The Industry
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I am a recent graduate of a Med. Transcript program and am unable to find work for someone with less than one year experiance.  Any suggestions? ...

MT Industry
Feb 17, 2011

As a group, we need to talk, fax, email our state representatives to explain what is going on in our industry. Give them your personal story.  We should all do this 3/1/2010 and the first of every month until something is done.  If they get enough complaints/responses, they will help us.  They will start and talk to each other and realize how many of us are being abused.  We need to have state and federal regulations to protect us from these companies. Due to&n ...

Is It Still Possible To Get A PT Job In This Industry. Nm
Nov 04, 2012

nm ...

This Whole Industry
Aug 22, 2013

Here's the problem with MT's who work at home:  There's not one out of six of you that have ever grown a pair of cajones. ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Industry Trends
Mar 21, 2010

I'm new to this board, but have been in the business a while.  There's obviously a lot of dissatisfaction on the way work is being moved to India and Speech Recognition.  Its affected me, too.  But, it is what it is.  The healthcare facilities  are being forced to cut costs, and the MTSOs have to respond to keep the business, which is unfortunate for us. First, there was India.  HealthScribe, Focus Informatics, CBay, Heartland and others pushed this ...

Backpaddeling With MT Industry.
Jan 19, 2012

Backpaddeling with MT industry.. In no time, it is going to hit deadend or get crashed ... CONCERNED, IRRITATTED, ANGRY, FRUSTRATED MT.   ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

MT Industry In Other Countries
Sep 24, 2012

Since the MT industry has suffered in the US with outsourcing to India and speech recognition, I was wondering if the transcription industry in other countries such as Canada, Britain, or others are suffering as well. Does anyone know about the nature of their work? ...

Complaints On This Board Day After Day About The MT Industry?
Mar 15, 2010

Is anyone else sick of reading all the complaints on this board day after day about the MT industry?  Am I the only one who actually enjoys what I do?  If you hate Mting so bad, then quit!  Be thankful you have a job.  I know I will get lots of nasty replies, but I am so tired of all the negativity.  I would never want to go back to working at my previous job which was a call center where you sat all day and listened to ppl curse at you.  I do not miss all the gas money wasted because of d ...

A Flicker Of Hope For This Industry!!!
May 04, 2010

I spoke with a wonderful company today that offered IC positions and the owner of the company told me that she refuses to offshore because she could not honestly tell her clients that she can be HIPPA compliant when the files leave the US soil and that she refuses to under bid her MTs who contract with her and she tells anybody who wants to do business with her that she will not offshore and she chooses to pay her MTs an honest living wage!!!!  Hooray for her.  I was really impressed w ...

So Glad To Escape MQ And The Industry!!!
Jul 31, 2010

After nearly 20 years in this industry, I am happy to say that I am free now!  Praise God! ...

How Long Has It Been Since The MT Industry Started
Apr 18, 2012

I am fairly new to this. I have always worked as an MT, but always paid hourly. Obviously 4 cents per line is not enough for anyone to survive on unless you are doing it for supplemental income. So my question is when did these companies start paying 4 cents per line and how long has this been going on? I am just curious how so many have survived so long on these wages. Thanks. ...

I Wish The MT Industry Would Go On Undercover Boss
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for some of these MTSOs?  ...

People Who Will Stay In This Industry.
Jul 01, 2012

I think as things go forward the people that will stay in this industry are those with their own benefits either through husbands or retirement age or buying their own that dont need to support themselves or anyone else fully and have other income again either through a significant other, husband, etc. or are retired and collecting pensions and SS and what have you.  This will help fill in retirement as far as financial, keeping the mind active and help with keeping in the job market.  ...

The MT Industry Is Dead. Do You Agree Or Disagree? Nm
Nov 30, 2009

nm ...

I Think MT Should Be Patterned Similar To The Music Industry.
Jun 24, 2011

Or the film industry.  Whenever their work is replayed somewhere, they get residual checks.  Now that there is an EMR just about everywhere, when someone in the hospital pulls up a report to read, you KNOW that is tracked within the computer system for security/HIPAA purposes.  Everything about that report is traceable to the MT who typed it.  When the doctor reads our report, and later treats the pt. based on what he/she read, the hospital gets paid for that.  When a ...

Does Company Feedback Really Matter In This Industry?
Jun 22, 2011

I read in my textbooks that an MT should not be heard and that complaining about the way in which doctors and PAs, etc dictate is not relevant in this industry.  They don't want to hear it. It has always been my belief that it takes two to tango, especially if you want to produce anything of quality. I was recently pondering if it will do any good to tell this company what I believe I am seeing.  This is probably suicide but I don't like to take the blame for something I am n ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

Helpful Hints For MTs Leaving The MT Industry
Aug 01, 2012

As someone who worked as a professional full-time MT for 31 years (most of those years at home), I've learned the ropes the hard way when transitioning over to the "public workplace."  I'm here to offer encouragement to others who need to find another career in order to make a decent living.  I do still work 15-20 hours at home as an MT online, but I work a full time job in a completely different sector during the day.  I finally have the job of my dreams, and I absolute ...

Transcription Industry Going Downhill Fast!
Feb 04, 2013

I currently work at a clinic, but the clinic was bought out by a hospital in 2011.  I left for about a year and they called me back.  Now, it's Feb 2013 and the hospital just got bought out by a big organization.  Boss says they have to go EMR by the fall or they get penalized from Medicare.  They will no longer use me or the other girls once they do this. I've been looking at what's out there and who can survive on 3-4 cents/line editing?  There's n ...

Please Sign This Petition To Help Change Our Industry.
Apr 03, 2014

The overall tone of most posts on this site reflect the need for change and regulation in our industry so we can stop being taken advantage of and also that medical records are kept accurate and safe. If you feel this way, please click on the link below and sign the petition to address the joint commission to try to help regulate our industry. http://www.change.org/petitions/joint-commission-petition-the-joint-commission-to-develop-medical-transcription-and-documentation-standards?recruit ...

I Have Realized The Truth Of The MT Industry Situation
Jun 06, 2015

I've been coming here for years. For many years it was only the poorly trained MTs who complained about not doing well. Anyone who had good training and good skills, sometimes learned on the job, which isn't practical now, but good skills at any rate, did well. The times have changed. While I used to categorize the complainers as neer-do-wells because they lacked ambition, accuracy, and training, that just isn't the case anymore. The employers have beat MTs down so that they can ...

Write Off?
Jun 11, 2010

Hi, eveyrone. I just started as an MT in Michigan, and I am going to be working from home fairly soon. I am moving back to New York for my music degree and transcribing in my free time. Problem: I have a very old laptop that is starting to fall apart. The keys don't always work and, although it is my baby, I can not keep using it for transcriptions. My boss had said he heard that we could write off a new laptop as an expense (much as flight attendants can write off their own laptops and mak ...

How Should I Write Out This CK Lab Value?
Jul 19, 2010

The doctor says,  " CK of fifty-nine-three-nine-four".   59,394? 59.394? 59-394? 59/394? 50, 93, 94? Thanks in advance for any and all enlightenment you can bestow upon me.  My brain is a fried mess - time for a break! ...

Write About It
Oct 13, 2012

Yahoo contributor network.  They will publish you.  All you have to do is register and write.     ...

How Do You Write Out...
May 02, 2013

It's a Whisper wire over-the-wire 1520Is over-the-wire capped or not?  I've seen both.  How do you write 1520?  Appreciate the help.  ...