A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Smart People - Hi

Posted: Jan 29, 2012

Back in the mid and late 80s, I was VERY proud to be an MT!   MTs were savvy and SMART.  In fact, they were SO smart -- or at least knowledgable and proficient -- that docs RELIED ON THEM to repair poorly dictated or hastily dictated transcription.

My friend/former boss is a rheumatologist who constantly used to say, "I KNOW you're a deep thinker, so WHY are you a medical transcriptionist?"  Until recently, I didn't really understand why he asked that.

The trend in MT now for the last 10 years or so has been verbatim transcription.  This has reduced the role of the MT to that of a monkey (or a tape recorder), rotely capturing utterances, coherent or correct or cogent or NOT.  And this change has affected MTs, whether or not they realize it.

As I read the posts on this board and interact with coworkers, it is very discouraging because there is a HUGE chasm between us on almost every level.  I make a reference to some classic book or movie, and they have NO IDEA what I'm talking about!  They don't know that a male animal cannot be spayed.  They don't understand even the basics of things pertinent to their lives, such as the difference between Workman's Compensation and liability insurance.  They have never read any political book or taken a poli sci 101 course, yet they go on and on about politics (usually just ad hominem attacks, nothing substantive) as if they know what they're talking about.  They don't ask questions of others in order to gather more info, they just make hasty false assumptions.  Exposure to new info doesn't elicit, "Wow, I didn't know that.  I'd like to read some more about that, do you have a link or can you suggest a book on it?" but rather a kneejerk emotive attack on the messenger.  They make disparaging remarks about the caliber of work of off-the-clock MTs based on forum posts, even though those MTs are OFF work and they have never seen a single report of theirs.  They don't know English, including the parts of speech.  And -- most surprising of all -- they don't know anatomy.  They may know how to spellcheck a word, but they don't know WHERE the structure is relative to other structures.  I'm not suggesting that they should have the knowledge of an MD, but back in the day we MTs *KNEW* this stuff!

This board has a reputation for drawing the "nasty" and the "negative," but I see this at work as well -- in fact, a coworker criticized someone on this board for making a typo in a post on here.    

Everything is upside down!  Intellectual curiosity is GONE, but jumping someone's case for a TYPO is the NORM!  So the MINUTIAE are important, but the major stuff has gone "poof!"  IMO over the last 15 years or so the entire society has been dumbed down (I know some other "old timers" will agree with me on that), so it's not just MTs.  But I expect MORE from MTs because I KNOW they are capable.  I have SEEN IT with my own eyes.

Agree - Natalie

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no real comment about the people on here being uneducated - I haven't used this board enough to judge for myself, and honestly it seems somewhat judgmental anyway. But I agree 100% with this board seeming to draw in the nasty and the negative. That's why I've been using this board as little as possible, and never get into any debates or read ANYONE'S nasty opinions about MT companies or the MT profession itself.

Smart people - Conservative

[ In Reply To ..]
Glad to see your post. I stopped coming to this board because of the very reasons you mentioned. Take a walk on the wild side (politics board...LOL). I have never seen such hateful and mean-spirited comments all because of a difference of OPINION, or because they do not care for a TV station someone watches; the list goes on. The worst offenders (on any board) scream about documentation, links, back it up, etc...never post any themselves or ask a question intelligently to allow for sane discourse. Then they wonder why no one wants to respond to them. I have seen a few people here that enrich this process, but very few. Thank you for your post.

This is what the 1% want is a dumbed-down society - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

dumbed down - do not agree - Conservative

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I do not agree with that at all, and do not engage in the class warfare that is so common now. Every day, people make choices to either increase their knowledge or not. Whether we chose to learn, study, speak, write well is solely a personal decision.
If you don't realize that class warfare is against YOU, - and all the rest of us, then - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
you've already been dumbed-down.
Dumbed down - Speak for yourself
[ In Reply To ..]
Can only be "dumbed down" if you allow. Ever hear of self-sufficiency, self-taught, self-educated...probably not. Easier to blame someone else for shortcomings.
Brainwashed response. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
X
Brainwashed response - Shows just how far you let yourself go - and prove
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Brainwashed response-nm - You demonstrate the brainwashing
[ In Reply To ..]
with your post. If you are so smart and got it all figured out, why allow yourself to be dumbed down?
Ya'll believe whatever you like, but MT has - been dangerously dumbed-down.
[ In Reply To ..]
If you seriously want to believe everything is all hunky-dory, then more power to you.
Ya'll believe - MT - Something seriously wrong with you
[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently you've been dumbed down to the point you can no longer read. I NEVER said everything was hunky dory about MT field or any other for that matter. And yes, more power to me because I don't sit around and cry like a baby and blame everyone else. Like I said before there is a lot to be said for self-education and self-sufficiency. Try it, you may just like it. Probably won't though; it's just easier for you to be rude.
Home schooling vs public school education - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
Hope you were home schooled because the public schools are the place where the dumbing down is happening and it is happening.
How many children do you currently have in - public schools?
[ In Reply To ..]
And why do you think the public schools are being dumbed down now?

Yep, that's why they tend not to hire more-experienced - MTs. They want the naive ones - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
who think 3.5 cpl is good "starting pay", not realizing that from there it will NOT go up, only down.

MTSOs want the less-experienced MTs because their work won't outshine their cash cows, the Indians doing our work.

They want MTs still wet-behind-the-ears, who don't remember a time when there was no offshoring or VR. MTs who don't know that any hospital who has bought into the joke that is VR has just been duped and conned by the companies that produce these ponderous, top-heave monstrosities that they obviously paid WAY too much money for.

It is so much easier - MTtoo

[ In Reply To ..]
to hate successful people than it is to take the risks they did and put in the effort and long hours they did to become successful too. If you're so smart, start a business, invent a product, develop a process, do something to become successful and improve your life yourself. Taking away what successful people have earned will not make anyone'e life better. The class warfare you're talking about is just envy.
Oh for Petes sake. Nobody hates successful people. - Its not about
[ In Reply To ..]
being jealous of wealth, worker bees versus drones, deadbeat slackers, celebrity millionaires or any other such nonsense where the argument revolves around perceived human character traits (often wildly inaccurate) that create socioeconomic castes.

It's about measurable economic conditions that define today's middle class...wage stagnation over the past 30+ years, the erosion or disappearance of job benefits, outsourcing, the shrinkage of upward mobility, status of an educational system where access to higher education has become increasingly obstructed by burgeoning costs that have transformed a college degree into a pipe dream reserved for the privileged ranks of upper crust echelons, the ever elusive American dream of home ownership, increased rates of foreclosures, poverty and hunger, particularly in children...the list goes on and on. MTs are the perfect poster child of dedicated people working their fingers to the bone, only to see significant cuts in pay and benefits while their jobs are shipped overseas right out from under them.

This is about reversing these alarming trends by identifying policy initiaties, whether it be reforms in the tax codes, health care, education, mortgage and small business financing, trade laws, unemployment, jobs growth, etc, that hold the potential to be beneficial to ALL Americans. The idea that the poor and near poor among us don't work or don't want to work is simply mean-spirited and patently false.
I hope "Oh for Pete Sake" and the original OP are not the same person. - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
The points offered in the "Oh for Pete Sake" post are very true, and mostly common sense, and I agree with the statements.

Now, the Smart People? Even if there was truth in what you say, why are you making it a point to come on here and insult people's intelligence? Why do you feel the need to let us know how "smart" you are? What is your point in letting everyone know how superior you feel?
MTtoo - You nailed it
[ In Reply To ..]
If people spent half of the time towards achieving their goals as they do on here belly aching, they would be much farther ahead. Envy is such a destructive thing.

Agree to some extent - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
While I do agree that some people on here are very negative, I don't necessarily think that makes the dumb by any means. I think one of the big differences between MTs today and MTs back in the 80's is that most of those MTs worked in-house. This makes a big difference when the doctor knows you by name. You can ask them a question and not get your head chewed off. I was a clinical employee before I became a full-time transcriptionist, and working in a doctor's office you learn so many things that you really don't working at home. I have a hard time believing that MTs in the 80's just automatically knew everything about transcription when they first started. A lot of the MTs on this board have only being doing this for a short period of time.

As far as negativity, I also found that while I worked at home full time that my whole mood changed. I no longer will do MT full time for this reason. That's not who I am. I felt like I was losing my ability to communicate with others. I think that reflects on this board. You have people who are depressed from never having any adult interaction. You have people who have worked very hard as an MT for years, to then losing their job to EMR and have no idea how they are going to pay their next bill, and now, they are bitter. It is hard for us that have jobs to understand this, but it does kind of make you negative about things.

I'm not really young but not old, but I really don't see the dumbed down that others see. I live in sort of a rural area where there are very many adults (probably more than not) who did not graduate from high school. They have a certain wisdom from years of living, but I'm sure the older generation then said the same thing about them as we are saying about our younger generations.

Smart People - you said

[ In Reply To ..]
"I expect more from MTs because I know they are capable. I have seen it with my own eyes."

Really? And you can speak for all MTs? Gimme a break. Maybe your account is "dumbed down," and maybe your acquaintances with certain MTs or others leads you to believe this of the entire population of MTs, or others, but I beg to differ. Maybe I am an "old timer," but I have been in this profession long enough to know it is just like any other, and there are going to be bad apples in every industry; teachers, cops, doctors, and MTs, etc.

You expect more from MTs? Clean up your own back yard.

Similar Messages:

Smart Doc
Jan 14, 2014

Anyone have any info on company Smartdoc? Appreciate any info - good or bad? thanks ...

Can Any Of You Smart MTs Help Me ....
Feb 19, 2015

By sharing how to make a macro in Word 2010 for the following 2 things:  I work in eScription.  Remove a period and space and uncap the next word and Add a period and 2 spaces and cap the next word Is this even possible to do?  This would be so much help on my poor old wrists with the 100% VR (I'm actually almost happy for the low work volume lately...they hurt so bad).   I researched high and low but could not find an understandable, easy way to make a ma ...

Not To Smart With Computers
Jan 08, 2011

Hi all, I purchased a new computer over Christmas with a very large screen due to having poor eyesight.  Everything seems fine until I get into ChartScript, where everything is so very, very small.  It is worse than with my smaller screen.  I have to literally stand up and put my nose to the screen to make sure I have correct patient info in the demographics, etc.  Any suggestions?  Is there something on the screen itself I can adjust, or do you think it is within ChartS ...

Smart Doc Out Of Florida
Mar 26, 2011

Does anyone have any information on Smart Doc out of Florida?  Whatever information you can give me would be appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Low Work, UE, TSM Is Not Smart
Apr 04, 2013

So far this week I have had 2 hours on Monday, 0 on Tuesday, 0 Wednesday and 30 minutes today. Last week I only got 8 hours. Emailed TSM about changing books of business and she said no one is looking for first shift, although I doubt she even asked since she emailed me back almost immediately (which never ever happens). Also, there are some MTs on here who say they have plenty of work, so why won't she send me there? Asked me to switched to late 2nd shift. However, there is still ...

Smart Report
Mar 10, 2014

Not too smart as it came across blank.  HA! Told by TSM to open remedy ticket.  Cannot do as I am getting an error message.  Oh yeah, a call to Phil. ...

Smart Summary
Apr 08, 2014

Still trying to figure out what purpose it serves. ...

Smart Type
Oct 28, 2014

I downloaded the trial version of Smart Type and have been trying to use it for the last two days.  I think it might work for me but I have a lot of word expanders in Word 2010 that would take me forever to duplicate in Smart Type.  Is there any easier way?  And how long does it normally take to become proficient in using this program.  Right now it is slowing me WAY down!   Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

Stedman's Smart Type
May 20, 2011

wondering about how stable stedman's smarttype is for everyone else.  I have used the program for years, but noticed recently odd things happening.  Has anyone else had unexpected things happen with smartype and word 2007.  What could I replace it with that would be its equal?  Call the programmers consortium who made the program originally, but no one knows anything.  Could use some light shed on the subject.   ...

I Question How Smart Doctors Really Are When...
Nov 12, 2013

they make up a new medication by combining two haves of two different medications! ...

Starting Smart Type
Nov 22, 2013

I have downloaded Smart Type on Word 2007 but it does not start when I open a document.  Could anyone tell me what I have to do to get it running.  Thanks! ...

Anyone Else Get The Smart Summary PDF File?
Feb 10, 2014

x ...

What Is The Purpose Of The Smart Summary?
May 08, 2015

Sometimes I wonder if Mmodal sends out these e-mails just to tell us that we will never measure up to what they expect.  ...

Smartype Smart Blocks & EXText
Jan 04, 2010

I work in Dictaphone /EXText.   I am dependent on my Stedman's Smartype for 100s of 1000s of terms with which I am not familiar, and to which I have total access while in EXText.  However, I am not able to pull Smartype Smart Blocks (which I have created while in Word but not in EXText) into a current document.  In the past, I got around this problem at work by creating "instant macros," going into ctrl-s, cutting, pasting into current document and using as a g ...

Anybody Using Smart Type Speed Typing Software?
Aug 19, 2011

Is any body using Smart Type speed typing software?  I could not find it on the net.  Please let me know if it is still availabe.  sf ...

Smart Type Will Work On The IntraScript Platform?
Feb 19, 2012

Can anyone tell me if Smart Type will work on the IntraScript platform?  ...

Instant Text, Shorthand, Fast Fox, Smart Type, Word Autocorrect
Apr 25, 2012

Need help choosing a new word expander!  TIA!  :) ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

"Smart" Report. Numbers Do Not Match
Jun 08, 2014

The lines per hour are way lower than what my TSM has reported to me. Plus, 5% QA submission rate????? I don't think so. I rarely send reports to QA. Although, the "Smart" report bases the percentage on lines sent to QA rather than percent reports sent to QA as we were told was used for the QA submission percentage. ...

Does Anybody Even Look At Their "Smart Summary?" Does It Even
Jan 08, 2015

x ...

AT&T Phone That Is NOT A Smart Phone?
Aug 07, 2011

Daughter needs a need phone.  Don't want to have to buy a data plan.  What is NOT a Smart Phone these days, but has a full keyboard for texting?  Thanks. ...

MDI-MD VR People Here?
Oct 21, 2009

I'm curious.  Any MTs willing to discuss how they like Escription and are working for MDI-MD/Transcend?  ...

DId MDI P.r.n. People Get A Pay Cut Too? Nm
Nov 24, 2009

s ...

MQ People
Sep 10, 2010

I usually come to this forum for good, solid, BRUTALLY HONEST opinon and help.  I have seen this field deteriorate over the years and got to wondering if the suits at MQ have any idea how long some of us have done this work and how poorly they are treating highly qualified, experiences MTs.  I am very curious to see how many years of experience we have.  I personally have 28 years experience and for the past 3 years have not brought in more than 20K.   When I used ...

To All Of You QA People.
Feb 08, 2011

I know this is a little thing, but after 2 years it is a little annoying.  Why do you ask MTs to look up physician names and addresses that are not in the database and to send to QA?  You NEVER enter them into the system, not once.  I have kept a list of physician names and addresses that we frequently use that are not in the database.  I send them to QA every time, requesting that they be entered.  I wonder what your response would be if we sent it blank?  Just a l ...

People Think I Have No Job....
Jul 08, 2011

Okay, four years of doing transcription and it's been four years of people calling all day to chat, wanting me to go do this and that, etc.  I've tried over and over to explain to them to not drop by because I'm WORKING! Have any of you had to get down right rude to make people understand?  Husband also doesn't seem to get it since he mentions "you're at home all day." Ugh. ...

Why Are People So Mean Lately?
Jan 08, 2012

without somebody jumping on you or making fun of you or being spelling police or telling you that's the way business operates so suck it up or go somewhere else. All that hate can't be good for you, but Flame Away!!  ...

Twice As Many People
Dec 26, 2012

typing as there are jobs to be picked up on my account, and we are told via email to work on shortest TAT.  Good grief.  The account will be clear in 5 minutes anyway.  Management is a bit irritating sometimes. ...

Do People Know What An MT Is When You Tell Them?
Jan 25, 2013

It's crazy to me that people do not even know what medical transcriptionists do most of the time.  When people ask me what I do and I tell them transcription, it never fails that they say "What is that?"  I tell them that I type what the doctor says and they say, "What does he say?"  It's crazy that nobody ever wonders how when they ask for medical records they get neatly typed pages from their doc instead of handwritten chicken scratch.  Even when I do explain it, ...